PDA

View Full Version : Now I know

Jiro
05-08-2011, 03:39 PM
most of you guys all walk around town (if you leave the house) with your fucking manly beards and whatnot, but I'm taking a gamble that sometimes you need to go and pick up some more milk or something.

So a question.

Do you get approached in the street by strangers? Talked to by strangers?

I must have a sign that says "I'm a sucker, talk to me" plastered on my forehead because people just love coming up and asking me for change or asking for directions or trying to sell me stuff.

This one time, I was standing in the middle of a busy shopping mall/street/thing with my big fucking headphones on and music blaring and this guy walked up to me and asked for directions. I was like "dude I have no idea where I actually am at the moment, I'm just with those guys" and pointed to my friends. But seriously, how did I look approachable?

Anyway, story time.

Rye
05-08-2011, 03:50 PM
I find I get approached all the time, to hilariously surreal results.

Yesterday I was buying some coffee and some old man near me on line sniffs loudly and says "Ya smell GREAT!" and goes off on his way. It was kind of great.

Jiro
05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
At least you know your perfume smells great :monster:

qwertysaur
05-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Rye, did you meet Gary Oak or something? :bigsmile:

One time I was out with friends and some guy on the street tried to sell my friend bras. My friend just told him that he was a guy and the salesman's face went beet red and he ran away. :p

Rye
05-08-2011, 04:36 PM
SMELL YA LATER

Remon
05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I frown a lot, and look annoyed when I'm walking out alone. So not many people approach me.

Pheesh
05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Day to day I don't think I look very approachable, and I rarely get asked for directions or anything like that. But at parties and when I'm out drinking I tend to get into a lot of conversations with randoms, but I think that's pretty normal. Point being though; I'm much more sociable when I'm drunk.

Bunny
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I have been told that I am a very unapproachable person.

I don't understand why though.

qwertysaur
05-08-2011, 05:36 PM
It must be the red eyes.
http://blog.mypets.ws/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bunny-friend-cute-pics-picture.jpeg

Jiro
05-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm waiting for the revelation that part of Bunny's strange foreign customs involves death staring people and muttering under his breath a strange incantation when he meets someone.

Unbreakable Will
05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
This depresses me, because I hate people. I used to not have anyone approach me (unless they knew me) because when I walk around in public I evidently look pissed off. Now when I go I have a month old baby with me that overrides people's better judgement.

"Oh :bou::bou::bou::bou:, that guy looks pissed...OMFG CUTE BABY!!!!!!!!"

Now I can't get away from people :/

Freya
05-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm like you Jiro, people always randomly talk to me.

When at malls and those people at the kiosks, they pick me out of a group of people walking by. There will be tons of people and they pull me away, ME! Why me :( I just want to go to whatever store I came there for I'm not interested in your head scratcher. :(

NorthernChaosGod
05-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I've been asked for directions a bunch. It's cool, sometimes it's cute tourists that need help around town. /smug

Iceglow
05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm kinda like Jiro even with the manly beard or without the manly beard I get approached I just have that kind of atmosphere. Even when I'm listening to music, eyes down trying to just cut through the crowd I get asked for stuff. It's led to some funny instances of being Chugged (like the time I gave the dude DK's msn address along with faked details) and advertising/marketing people trying to grab my attention. I love it when the bible bashers or the Hare Krishna's try me though thats the funniest thing because generally speaking they never stand a chance with me and should know it by the way I look at them and roll my eyes as soon as they try to collar me.

I don't mind tourists or lost people asking me for directions though, I guess when I'm going round places like Central London I seem to simply know my way around. If there's a particulary cute girl and she asks for directions and I'm not up to anything much just out shopping or something then I will generally be a real gent and offer to show them how to get there if they like, it's never really a problem and girls on holiday in London love a good British accent and since they're not stopping here for long they tend to move on it quick. :D

Shattered Dreamer
05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Personally I don't think I look very approachable but for some reason randomers do talk to me for no apparent reason. In the street, on public transport, while waiting in line etc & I just don't get it! I've also had the experience of same while wearing earphones. I mean for the love of god citizens of the world leave me alone!!!

Luckily since I began shaving my head in February it's been happening less & less, especially on public transport people actually move when they see people with shaved heads. :bigsmile:

escobert
05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
I do sometimes but not all that often. If I'm out and about in town then yeah but of course, if I'm home I don't see many strangers :p

Shorty
05-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Several times, I have had men point to the ground and be like "oh oh hey you dropped something" and when I turn to look they're like "it was your smile n______n". And I always smile, like an idiot.

I'm not really approached for directions or anything. Women seem to approach me quite a bit to tell me they like my hair, though.

Jessweeee♪
05-09-2011, 03:18 AM
I frown a lot, and look annoyed when I'm walking out alone. So not many people approach me.

Me too. As soon as I stop focusing my face turns into :mad2:

:(

But of course that doesn't stop Greenpeace. When I was in college I couldn't go to a single one of my classes without Greenpeace harassing me about gorillas dying or something.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Eh. People talk to me in line, and things like that. It's not a big deal. Sometimes it's me starting the conversations.

Carl the Llama
05-09-2011, 04:09 AM
I have the amazing talent where I can ignore people when they approach me.

They soon get the message.

You guys should try walking down the street with your phone in your hand, if you see someone approaching act like someone calls you on your phone (and hope that no one does lol).

Jiro
05-09-2011, 05:18 AM
I have my phone on silent so I can avoid that problem ;)

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2011, 05:21 AM
Strangers use to come up and talk to me but now I wear two jackets and a dumb hat that makes me look like a hobo so I pretty much get left alone. On the downside during the ocaisional instances someone does talk to me now theyre a few levels more crazy than the average stranger I used to be approached by.

Shoeberto
05-09-2011, 05:21 AM
I ALWAYS LIKE GOIN' UP TO YOUNG LADIES AND COMPLIMENTING THEM ON THEY SSSSSSSSSSSMELLS

Timekeeper
05-09-2011, 10:52 AM
:D

I tend to walk rather quickly, which helps me avoid people like that. If I do happen to make eye contact with one of the many vultures out there, I immediately break eye contact and place people between myself and them if possible.

Loony BoB
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I get approached by people who I don't mind approaching me, for the most part, so I'm happy with that.

People trying to get signatures in the street or preach their cause tend to get blanked by me so I don't have the problem of the constant Princest Street brigade going "Talk to me instead of doing what you intend on doing c'moooooon!" to me. I don't look at them, I look past them. And then walk where I'm looking. They tend to just go for some other person, and yay for that. Danielle has it opposite, she's impossible for them to avoid unless they're with me. That's probably just 'cause she's hot, though. But yeah, it's annoying to have to constantly tell people that I'm not going to help their charity because I'm already helping other charities and to be blunt, don't want to give away any more money right now.

I get approached all the time for directions, though, and if I can help I'm more than happy to. Likewise if people are just a little confused about buses or whatever, I'll happily help. I don't mind talking to people when they aren't trying to get money out of me, basically.

Sometimes a drunk will come up to me (this is not terribly unusual in Scotland, of course) and talk about some nonsense and I'm okay with talking to them for a little. I tend to half wish they would go away so I can stop being bothered, but the other half amused at drunk talk. So it's no big deal.

And finally there are the 'unavoidables'. People going around asking for that bit of money to get a bus, make a phonecall, whatever... always looking like junkies, oddly. What a shocker. Anyway, I just say "No, I only use card" (which is actually the truth) and they move on.

Breine
05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I haven't really thought about it. Oh yeah, wait.. when I had long hair I got approached all the time by people from Greenpeace, Amnesty International and such to ask if I wanted to become a member and the like. It doesn't happen that often anymore. Kinda funny x)

Otherwise I get approached for directions sometimes.. but doesn't everybody? - and yeah, there's also the occasional small talk with strangers at the bus stop and such. It happens.

Laddy
05-09-2011, 11:30 PM
I attract pre-teen to teen girls who desperately try to strike up conversations for no good reason.

NorthernChaosGod
05-10-2011, 01:46 AM
I attract pre-teen to teen girls who desperately try to strike up conversations for no good reason.

Trade lives with me?

41-Inches-Wide
05-10-2011, 03:17 AM
Many people approach me for everything. Fortunately, I actually like getting approached!

The weirdest are always those that pretend they know me from somewhere and I get confused because I don't know them and don't know the place/school/or the person. So I'm like "ohh wow yeah?" but I am confused and embarrassed for the person I am talking to. :D

Laddy
05-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Trade lives with me?
Depends, who talks to you?

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2011, 12:34 AM
I have lots of friends at the gym.

Yar
05-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Around here, talking to strangers is kind of.... odd. It's not that it's a "bad" thing, it's just unusual.

I mean, common courtesy is expected, and people are friendly and such. But if I have no reason to be talking to someone, I could be perceived as a creeper. :D

Laddy
05-11-2011, 04:01 AM
I have lots of friends at the gym.
*gives keys to life*

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Yay, teenagers! :D

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2011, 05:14 AM
I noticed that strangers engaged me in small talk much more often in Southern states than when I lived up North. Maybe the cold makes everyone a little crabby or something!

Timekeeper
05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Anyway, I just say "No, I only use card" (which is actually the truth) and they move on.

One day you'll find a junkie who has an eftpos machine, then you'll be screwed!

Loony BoB
05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
xD Totally. But then I can go back to pulling the "I already support other, cooler charities than your crappy charity" card.

Timekeeper
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Good! Always need to be prepared! :p

Shiny
05-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Do you get approached in the street by strangers? Talked to by strangers?

Pretty much. Just be a girl walking around New York City and you will automatically get approached every day. It happens in my town too. I go to walk my dogs and there's weirdos outside. The funniest was this eleven year old with his gang of other eleven year olds on bikes. He tried to be all cool asking me out in front of his friends and was like, "Hey what public school do you go to? Wanna get some pizza?" I was like "Negro, I'm in college."

Jiro
05-12-2011, 04:16 AM
What public school do you go to? Is that really like, a pickup line? xD

qwertysaur
05-12-2011, 04:21 AM
What public school do you go to? Is that really like, a pickup line? xD
It makes a bit more sense in context. Public schools in NYC are P.S. [3 digit number] :p

Grade schools only use the number, high schools also have a more descriptive name. :p

CloudNyne
05-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Lol I get asked for money all the time. But one time I was walking home from school and somebody asked if I wanted to buy a car. The car had a broken window and it was clearly stolen. I was like naw I'm good lol.

Shoeberto
05-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Lol I get asked for money all the time. But one time I was walking home from school and somebody asked if I wanted to buy a car. The car had a broken window and it was clearly stolen. I was like naw I'm good lol.
That's like the worst fence job I've ever heard of.

HEY RANDOM PERSON ON THE STREET WANNA BUY THESE CLOTHES "they still have the ink tags on them... did you just steal these from that wal mart" LOOK MAN YOU WANT THEM OR NOT C'MON THERE'S PLENTY OF PEOPLE ON THIS STREET HERE

Rantz
05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Would you, sir, care to buy this very chic blood-stained shirt and a knife to match?

NorthernChaosGod
05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
I, for one, wouldn't mind a shirt that came with a matching knife.

Jiro
05-13-2011, 04:22 AM
Yes but you are mexican.

I keep thinking of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXsO35TQ-0) now.

TrollHunter
05-13-2011, 04:45 AM
I, for one, wouldn't mind a shirt that came with a matching knife.

I'm with him on that one.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes but you are mexican.

I keep thinking of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXsO35TQ-0) now.

I'm sorry it doesn't come with a matching didgeridoo.

Slothy
05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I noticed that strangers engaged me in small talk much more often in Southern states than when I lived up North. Maybe the cold makes everyone a little crabby or something!

One word: Canada.

Actually, scratch that. Everyone up here is a closet asshat.

I get asked for change all of the time. I find it somewhat funny since I rarely carry cash, and if I do, it's in denominations much larger than anything I would give away without expecting some change in return. Aside from that though people don't really approach me. Maybe it's because I'm 6'2" and around 265 lbs. at the moment. I make a fairly imposing figure if I choose to.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Dude, you're a beast.

black orb
05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
>>> Im invisible to people..:luca:

Iceglow
05-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Furthermore, since getting my hair shaved in to a mohawk, I get stopped a lot by little kids asking me questions. I have learnt to tell awesome lies about it to them such as "I'm part Native American, my hair grows like this naturally."

Flip side, I also attract drunk people, some with moronic behaviour like "Oh you remind me of < insert name > so you think you're hard cause you're a punk?" but also some people who are just amazed at the hair and want to know how it feels and what it takes to put it up, these people are sometimes ok, depends on how hot they are lol.