PDA

View Full Version : Getting Onion Equipment (NES Version)

Evastio
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Alright, I decided to get back into FF3 (NES) and get myself some Onion Equipment. Though it hasn't been going well at all, seeing how I can't get the trick in this guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563415-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/20847) to work to my liking (though I have successfully but unintentionally converted 60 Leather Caps into 60 Onion Helms). I've also gotten 396 Kaiser Claws unintentionally, 297 of which I sold. Besides the Onion Helm conversion (where my item list was full), every time I've done the trick with an empty spot, the closest empty spot gets 99 Kaiser Claws and every time the item list is full, nothing happens when I get multiple potions from the same battle. I know it says that I only need to get a single potion when I have 99 potions, but getting multiple potions from one battle when I already have 99 potions is the only way I can get items to upgrade.

So my question is: has anyone successfully used this trick and can help me out with it? If there isn't anyone that has, does anyone know which floors in the Sylx Tower have the best chance of encountering Green, Yellow, and Red Dragons?

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
You don't start encountering the dragons until floor three. First two floors are yellow, then you get a green on the next one and then it alternates til you are on the top floor. I have yet to encounter the red dragon so I can't really say which floor its one but its most likely somewhere in the middle as opposed to the top.

Elpizo
05-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I do remember using the upgrade trick once and getting meself 4 FEOKs, but it's so long ago I don't remember if I did anything special. As far as it went for me, following the guide worked.

I don't think doing it the Dragon way gives you anything but frustration. I've played through FF III NES two times fully (no cheats or FEOKs), and never once encountered any of the three dragons.

Evastio
05-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Actually, I was able to get the item upgrade trick working. I used Sir Bahamut's Method instead of the first method mentioned and it worked like a charm.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p274/Kamundios/OnionEquipment.png?t=1305169288

I was actually able to encounter a yellow dragon on Floor 6 of the Sylx Tower, but I couldn't get it to drop an Onion Sword. Savestates yielded Elixirs, Onion Helms, Armors, and Gloves only.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Different dragons carry different pieces of the Onion gear, I thought, though this could be something they only did in the DS version.

Evastio
05-16-2011, 04:02 AM
Different dragons carry different pieces of the Onion gear, I thought, though this could be something they only did in the DS version.
According to GameFAQs, it's the DS Version only. The DS Onion Knight Guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/924897-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/46157) says that all dragons drop Onion Swords and Shields but only Yellow Dragons drop Helms, only Green Dragons drop Gloves, and only Red Dragons drop Armor. The NES Onion Knight Guide (http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/563415-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/24510) says that all dragons drop all Onion Equipment, though I couldn't get the Yellow Dragon to drop Onion Swords or Shields.

Well, I got all the Onion Equipment I need now so I'm satisfied. At least, I will be once I get them all to level 99 (I'm currently at level 75). If only the enemies in Bahamut's Cave would quit running away all the time so level grinding would be faster.

ReloadPsi
10-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I just can't think of the Onion equipment as anything but not worth the effort. I did get close to having a team of fully equipped Onion Knights but by the time I had achieved this my levels were so high that it didn't matter what Jobs my characters were :/

Wolf Kanno
10-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I just see it as an extra challenge to do for hardcore fans, like the getting Pink Tails in FFIV or the super bosses of later FFs. Its not practical, its just an extra element for people who have mastered the game.

Evastio
10-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I actually did get the Onion Knights to Level 99 and Job Level 99 as well. And I can say this:

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

Every physical hit they took only did one damage (bar the Dark Crystal Guardian's physical attacks), they always did 9999 damage, they defeated the Cloud of Darkness in 1 Round, and even in the first CoD battle you're not supposed to win, they only took ~200-300 damage from Flarewave (1 with an Onion Sword and Shield Equipped instead of Dual Onion Swords) and it took a long time for me to lose that scripted battle. You might think that not having a curer would hurt that party, but you don't even need it considering my HP never got lower than 9200.

I attached the save file for those wanting to try out FEOK's without going through the hard work to get them. They have Onion Shield's equipped, so you'll have to equip double Onion Swords yourself to enjoy the constant 9999 damage they do.