PDA

View Full Version : Soccer is a pansy sport.

Jessweeee♪
05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/donthateyouknowitswasafoulp1.gif

WHAT IS THIS. :colbert:

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
A) Football
B) Hilarious
C) generic football is better than any and all american invented sports because you're an inferior race comment

LunarWeaver
05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Looks like that hand has seen some women's faces in its day. It was reflex, that's all.

Soccer is the only sport I was ever any good at if that helps your pansy argument.

Madame Adequate
05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Nahahahaha that is amazing

Jessweeee♪
05-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Looks like that hand has seen some women's faces in its day. It was reflex, that's all.

He just automatically grabbed some dude's hand and slapped himself in the face with it? It seemed pretty deliberate to me xD

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Play-acting exists in football not because the player is a pussy, but because he's a cheat & attempts to get opposing players sent off & gain the upper hand. It's mearly a powerplay. However, for every attacker going down like he was shot...there's this;

YouTube - Roy Keane fucks Alf-Inge Hålands knee up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7eBRQxbg-M)

and

YouTube - Eduardo - Leg break full video (WORST FOOTBALL INJURY EVER) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiivTFQCscw)

Mostly however we watch the greatest sport on earth for moments like this

YouTube - Wayne Rooney Bicycle Kick Goal vs Manchester CIty 12/2/2011 [Full HD] (by mimakos patra) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwLMBR_Ov8)

It's the beautiful game and no matter who you follow, it's the greatest sport on earth. Fuck whoever says different.

Madame Adequate
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Soccer is a filthy boring sport for people who cannot handle anything involving genuine tactical thought or physical effort. Play a real sport like football or basketball or curling.

:cuch:

YouTube - Zidane headbutts Materazzi - BEST ANGLE ***** (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4iWIE77Ts&feature=related)

Bunny
05-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Nothing can help me care about soccer. Oh, ‘it’s the most popular sport in the world.’ Probably because it’s cheap to play. It costs a ball. Once every four years, America pretends to care about it. And yes, I call it ‘soccer.’ Don’t correct me because I don’t care what they call it in other lands — I speak America.

Sorry world, we already have football and it’s way better. It’s supposed to be played by 300 pound men eight seconds at a time, not five-foot, six-inch fairies lightly jogging for three hours, or however long your game is…buy a scoreboard!

It’s hard for me to get into a sport that I mastered at the age of seven. Excuse me for not being able to get revved up for this corner kick that never works. Hooray! The game ends without a single goal. I want to kill myself when an NBA team doesn’t break a hundred. That’s because you don’t get a free taco.

Maybe there would be more scoring if they weren’t flopping all of the time. And hooligans, instead of killing players that screwed up, murder the ones that fall down crying because their toe got stepped on.

The only good thing about soccer is the movie “Ladybugs.” That’s a classic. Don’t try to re-do it, Hollywood. I love women’s soccer. It’s a beautiful game, and America is actually good at it. Probably because we’re the only country that allows women to wear shorts.

It’s nice to have an activity that terrorist countries can excel at. Enjoy your 15 minutes, Algeria. Then go back to being number one at car bombs. But just know that the only reason you’re beating us is because our best athletes are busy playing real sports. You think LeBron James might make an okay goalie? Oh, and good move, giving us Beckham ten years past his prime. That really panned out.

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
you know, for a nation that doesn't care about HEH, SOCCER :smug: you sure do spend a lot of time having a good whine about it.

you may not be #1 in inventing sports but you sure are #1 in inferiority complexes :kiss:

Shauna
05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YomM87GNvs) is my favourite football moment. :3

I don't particularly care for the sport one way or another, I do happen to catch bits of it from time to time though.

Bunny
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
you know, for a nation that doesn't care about HEH, SOCCER :smug: you sure do spend a lot of time having a good whine about it.

you may not be #1 in inventing sports but you sure are #1 in inferiority complexes :kiss:

Stating facts != whining.

Go drink a tea and have a biscuit, dirty brit.

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
It is when the facts consist of:
:(
:whimper:
:crying2:
:irked:

ps: no thanks I'm off to live in a trailer park while getting angry about gay marriage

Bunny
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
You forgot about the guns.

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Frankly I'm jealous of those.

Remon
05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
There was an Italian player who slapped himself (meaning he slapped* himself with his own hand lol)

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Nothing can help me care about soccer. Oh, ‘it’s the most popular sport in the world.’ Probably because it’s cheap to play. It costs a ball. Once every four years, America pretends to care about it. And yes, I call it ‘soccer.’ Don’t correct me because I don’t care what they call it in other lands — I speak America.

Sorry world, we already have football and it’s way better. It’s supposed to be played by 300 pound men eight seconds at a time, not five-foot, six-inch fairies lightly jogging for three hours, or however long your game is…buy a scoreboard!

It’s hard for me to get into a sport that I mastered at the age of seven. Excuse me for not being able to get revved up for this corner kick that never works. Hooray! The game ends without a single goal. I want to kill myself when an NBA team doesn’t break a hundred. That’s because you don’t get a free taco.

Maybe there would be more scoring if they weren’t flopping all of the time. And hooligans, instead of killing players that screwed up, murder the ones that fall down crying because their toe got stepped on.

The only good thing about soccer is the movie “Ladybugs.” That’s a classic. Don’t try to re-do it, Hollywood. I love women’s soccer. It’s a beautiful game, and America is actually good at it. Probably because we’re the only country that allows women to wear shorts.

It’s nice to have an activity that terrorist countries can excel at. Enjoy your 15 minutes, Algeria. Then go back to being number one at car bombs. But just know that the only reason you’re beating us is because our best athletes are busy playing real sports. You think LeBron James might make an okay goalie? Oh, and good move, giving us Beckham ten years past his prime. That really panned out.

A wall of complete bull:bou::bou::bou::bou:. yay.

Laddy
05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
I like both basketball and soccer in particular. Both reward strategy, athleticism, and are very acrobatic.

Soccer is the beautiful game. You don't have to like it, but if there's a gay sport it's the one with ripped man having dryhump orgies.

Værn
05-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I pay pretty much no attention at all to sports, so all I have to say about soccer is...

I have no idea who decided that American football should be called football here and real football should be called soccer. Real football should be called football and American football should be called American rugby. Out of everything I know about sports, how things got renamed in America annoys me more than anything else, followed closely by how obsessed people around here are with cars turning left at 200 MPH for hours on end.
Also, this.
http://i54.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/f4051y.jpg

escobert
05-10-2011, 09:35 PM

QFT as spoken by God Himself.

AS someone who grew up in a Soccer household (my brothers and father all played Soccer in College) I can't stand the sport. at least in hockey you get to hit people. when I played as a youth they'd always kick me out for slide tackling and :bou::bou::bou::bou:. So, I played football where I got to hit people and have fun all the time!

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Heres a thing you yanks dont seem to fathem. We do not watch sport to see violence. We watxh it to see skill, technique & passion. Fuck knows I see enough violence as it is. Football is an escape. For 90 minutes fuck all else matters. A goal is an orgasm. Who gives a fuck if some tall black fella puts a ball through a hoop? What's the score?107-109? Wow difficult :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Or baseball, the single dullest sport created by any human being on the planet. Or American Football, AKA Rugby For Pussies. "Yea the hits are harder in american football", that's because you wear helmets & more padding than a flat chested teenager trying to get looked at by the fella that she'll never get. It's the only sport where a severely obese man can get called an 'athlete' & no one laughs. The only person with any skill is the triggerman the rest are either WALLS OF FAT or the can run REALLY FAST.

See how you can dumb down any sport you want?

escobert
05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
So, 11 guys all having different jobs battling with 11 other guys trying every way they can to stop them take no skill technique or passion? Your point are about as worthless as ours :p you guys just seem to get butt hurt whenever we say soccer sucks. I could care less what the rest of the world likes hell, I actually prefer just the US plays our football. and I would like to see you out run some of these obese people who apparently posses no athletic talent yet can run faster in a dash at 300+ lbs than most people on this site could ever dream of.
And, if you want to talk about a game that actually resembles Chess well that would be American football. all f the pieces move in deferent ways and need each other to work. 1 idiot play can ruin a entire game or in some cases a season. That is why I feel it's the best sport int he world. You have 16 games to show you're the best if you fuck up one game at the end of the season your season very well could be over.

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
So, 11 guys all having different jobs battling with 11 other guys trying every way they can to stop them take no skill technique or passion? Your point are about as worthless as ours :p you guys just seem to get butt hurt whenever we say soccer sucks. I could care less what the rest of the world likes hell, I actually prefer just the US plays our football.

My point was SUPPOSED to be as worthless as yours...Jesus that flew right over your cranium.

And yes, I'm sure you are glad no one else plays your pussy version of rugby because the moment a sport of yours does get played outside the US with any degree of severity, your boys get slaughtered.

Laddy
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Baseball, for example. A turn-based sport. It's a goddamn TURN-BASED SPORT.

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 11:03 PM
you guys just seem to get butt hurt whenever we say soccer sucks.I dispute your allegation, and indeed wish to make a similar accusation about your own selves. Namely, that because you acknowledge football is far superior to your own sports, and in turn because of this you must seek down every thread that hints at its existence and have a good old cry about it therein, that in fact it is you who has the butt that hurts.

tl;dr? your yankee tears fuel my erection.

Laddy
05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Even I'm not butthurt.

Go cry home, you man-grappler pansies.

escobert
05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
It's not that I must hunt down every thread about it but come on you I say how your sport sucks and you guys go for personal insults I just can't help myself :p
And cuch it didn't go over my head i just hadn't read your reply fully yet when I started replying :p

Psychotic
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
tbf, I don't think anybody is actually legitimately butthurt or gives a :bou::bou::bou::bou: either way. It's just good-natured transatlantic banter.

Madame Adequate
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Americans do get wound up when you point out how :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty their sports are (I actually think all sports are complete :bou::bou::bou::bou: except for curling), but it is NOTHING compared to how upset Europeans and South Americans get if you dare to blaspheme against soccer. I make a point of deliberately and repeatedly calling it soccer solely and exclusively to wind people up, because it is absolutely hilarious how buttmad everyone gets.

Edit: Oh smurf you Pawl coming in here with your reasonable post and "it's all fun and games" making mine look bad :mad2:

escobert
05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Mainly I post in these threads for lulz.
wait I post everyone on eoff for lulz :bigsmile:
and, I love how Cuch gets so pissed :love:

There are ignorant assholes everywhere who like just about everything so I'm sure there's people arguing over Roses vs Violets somewhere in the damn world.

Bunny
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I love this thread almost as much as I love soccer.

escobert
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
We all know you love everything in this world. so that post was not needed Bunny.

Loony BoB
05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Mostly however we watch the greatest sport on earth for moments like this

YouTube - Wayne Rooney Bicycle Kick Goal vs Manchester CIty 12/2/2011 [Full HD] (by mimakos patra) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZwLMBR_Ov8)
We're lucky Mike Summerbee isn't registered here, I think he'd have exploded. xD

I'm not sure which is funnier in this thread, Bunny's post or the fact that some people are taking it seriously.

I love women’s soccer. It’s a beautiful game, and America is actually good at it.
My favourite part of this thread.

escobert
05-10-2011, 11:29 PM
YouTube - Walter Payton- Best Running Back Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeTgQ-lgvE&feature=fvst)

This man is the reason American Football ids the best sport ever :p

I Don't Need A Name
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Heres a thing you yanks dont seem to fathem. We do not watch sport to see violence. We watxh it to see skill, technique & passion. Fuck knows I see enough violence as it is. Football is an escape. For 90 minutes fuck all else matters. A goal is an orgasm. Who gives a fuck if some tall black fella puts a ball through a hoop? What's the score?107-109? Wow difficult :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Or baseball, the single dullest sport created by any human being on the planet. Or American Football, AKA Rugby For Pussies. "Yea the hits are harder in american football", that's because you wear helmets & more padding than a flat chested teenager trying to get looked at by the fella that she'll never get. It's the only sport where a severely obese man can get called an 'athlete' & no one laughs. The only person with any skill is the triggerman the rest are either WALLS OF FAT or the can run REALLY FAST.

See how you can dumb down any sport you want?

As much as I despise Football, becuase it's full of overpaid fannies who pretend to be in extreme pain after every contact, I'll agree with Cuch on his points. After watching American football, I noticed it's basically a bunch of black guys wearing armour like women, taking each other out, parading around about it for 20minutes, then setting up and repeating. It's boring. And baseball? Overglorified Rounders (which is a girls sport by the way).

Rugby is a sport worth watching ;D

Loony BoB
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
YouTube - Walter Payton- Best Running Back Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeTgQ-lgvE&feature=fvst)

You know what would make that guy even cooler? Just imagine if he could do that without any padding or helmet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_5wTux_Ow&feature=fvst).

I Don't Need A Name
05-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Lomu is a bit of a machine

Cuchulainn
05-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I agree whole heartedly. Mainly I post in these threads for lulz.
wait I post everyone on eoff for lulz :bigsmile:
and, I love how Cuch gets so pissed :love:

There are ignorant assholes everywhere who like just about everything so I'm sure there's people arguing over Roses vs Violets somewhere in the damn world.

I'm not actually pissed off fella. This is how I roll...in every topic I talk about...anywhere. It's just what I do. I love dark humour. It's a Belfast thing. I am passionate about the greatest sport on earth though. That bit was true, the rest is just craic. Check my facebook for details.

EDIT: I think you'll find Paul O'Connell is the machine.

Six & a half feet of scary Irish Bastard

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01388/paul_oconnell_1388126c.jpg

escobert
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM

You know what would make that guy even cooler? Just imagine if he could do that without any padding or helmet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_5wTux_Ow&feature=fvst).
Yes that guy is awesome but, he's liek twice the size of everyone else, Walter Peyton was undersized, considered slow and not meant to be a star at all. He did it with hard work and heart.

Loony BoB
05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Yes that guy is awesome but, he's liek twice the size of everyone else, Walter Peyton was undersized, considered slow and not meant to be a star at all. He did it with hard work and heart.
Lomu can't help his size. :( But if you're going down that road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQZbe_NiYy0)... :D

And as for the original topic's sport, I won't bother looking for a good Lionel Messi video. There are too many of him to sift through. =|

Still, I think no matter what, rugby players won't make good NFL players and NFL players won't make good rugby players. Too different. But I prefer watching rugby as I've grown up on it, and I like how it flows. I miss watching the Super 12 (yes, I know it's 14 now).

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure which is funnier in this thread, Bunny's post or the fact that some people are taking it seriously.

People take Daniel Tosh seriously? :confused:

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Lacrosse or GTFO.

Madame Adequate
05-11-2011, 01:33 AM
EDIT: I think you'll find Paul O'Connell is the machine.

Six & a half feet of scary Irish Bastard

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01388/paul_oconnell_1388126c.jpg

Could have just said "Irish" to be honest :save:

Jiro
05-11-2011, 05:33 AM
I can't be bothered to see who is right and who is wrong in this thread but I think it's safe to say that if you're British and not Iceglow then you are right. Cuch is also right but he's just Irish, right? Yeah. Rock on brother.

I tried to find my favourite dive video. A striker is having a go at a keeper and they got all up in each others' face and so the keeper shouted real loud and the striker fell down like he'd been headbutted. It was gloriously obvious he was full of :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Oh and to clarify; I enjoy your NFL and I'm not here to say it's :bou::bou::bou::bou:, but I swear you are just dicks if you think football is not a beautiful sport.

Also I did see Laddy post a correct post. Do you have to be a gay american to be right? Good work Laddy, you're the man.

Bunny
05-11-2011, 05:45 AM
I tried to find my favourite dive video. A striker is having a go at a keeper and they got all up in each others' face and so the keeper shouted real loud and the striker fell down like he'd been headbutted. It was gloriously obvious he was full of .

Keep your Quidditch, I'll keep watching football.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2011, 06:06 AM
In all honestly I'm equally apathetic towards all sports. I just think the whole injury faking thing is funny.

Dreddz
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I think its quite pathetic and embarrassing to watch when this stuff happens. The phrase "its the taking part that counts" means nothing to these men. They are so desperate to win that they end up acting like a bunch of kids. You can add that to one of the many reasons why I don't watch football.

escobert
05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh and to clarify; I enjoy your NFL and I'm not here to say it's :bou::bou::bou::bou:, but I swear you are just dicks if you think football is not a beautiful sport.

I do think Football is beautiful, American football :p

Loony BoB
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Which is more handball than football, really.

I Don't Need A Name
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
American football has some bad naming. It's called Football, when you carry the ball. And a touchdown is scored without the ball actually being touched down on the floor...

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
American football has some bad naming. It's called Football, when you carry the ball. And a touchdown is scored without the ball actually being touched down on the floor...

You ever actually see them score? The ball touches the ground quite often after they score. Endzone dances.

Loony BoB
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Basically, American Football is a ripoff of Rugby Football which itself originated in a "soccer" football style of game, although it was certainly very different from what we see in "soccer" football today. Touchdown? In rugby, you have to put the ball down (in a controlled way, in the hand). Football? In "soccer", you have to use your feet rather than your hands. All of these words come from the games they orginated from.

Timekeeper
05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree with BoB, they actually try in rugby :p

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
This is how we do football in my hometown.

YouTube - Driscoll Middle School Trick Play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIdI8khMkw)

Cuchulainn
05-11-2011, 07:00 PM

You ever actually see them score? The ball touches the ground quite often after they score. Endzone dances.

ehhhh weren't they banned?

Bunny
05-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Not banned, you just get a penalty flag for excessive celebration. Which is dumb, but Goodell is an idiot.

NorthernChaosGod
05-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Nah, you just can't go wild with it, otherwise it's "unsportsmanlike conduct". :|

sharkythesharkdogg
05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Soooooo, how 'bout that WRC? Or the American Le Mans series? Wrong thread? :D

Loony BoB
05-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Nah, you just can't go wild with it, otherwise it's "unsportsmanlike conduct". :|
Urgh, just like in football over here. You're not allowed to celebrate with the crowd or take your shirt off. Personally, I wouldn't mind if opposition players did it. Some people take the entertainment out of sport for softies.

escobert
05-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah there no props or group celebrations anymore. But some guys were going crazy like having :bou::bou::bou::bou: in their socks and stuff just waiting to score to do something stupid. Hell some guys still do it anyways. Rodney Harrison used to set aside like $100,000 every year for fines xD

Cuchulainn
05-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Not banned, you just get a penalty flag for excessive celebration. Which is dumb, but Goodell is an idiot.

They were getting a bit silly though. Someone had to reign it in. Don't think it's fair that Green Bay are still allowed to do the Lambeau Leap though if anyone fronm any other team tried it there'd be a yellow hankerchief.

ReloadPsi
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Soccer can seriously fuck off. I'm sick to death of it, and how pathetic the players are; all they need to do is trip on a goddamn pebble and they cry like bitches for ten minutes. They need to watch some boxing so they can man the fuck up and be given some breakfall training so they don't hurt their asses falling over.

Madame Adequate
05-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Football has nothing to do with interacting with the ball with your feet. It's called that because it is played on foot, because it's a commoner's game, as opposed to games played on horseback by nobles.

Cuchulainn
05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Football has nothing to do with interacting with the ball with your feet. It's called that because it is played on foot, because it's a commoner's game, as opposed to games played on horseback by nobles.

That's one possibilty, a strong one but to be honest they're still not 100% sure. Makes sense however You cannot state either etymology as being fact.

escobert
05-12-2011, 01:37 AM

They were getting a bit silly though. Someone had to reign it in. Don't think it's fair that Green Bay are still allowed to do the Lambeau Leap though if anyone fronm any other team tried it there'd be a yellow hankerchief.

It's obvious you don't watch then because everyone was doing lambeau leaps last year :p

Also smurf THE PACKERS :mad2: goddamn cheese heads

Old Manus
05-12-2011, 02:54 AM
The fact is that Cricket is the REAL man's sport and you all know it.

Cuchulainn
05-12-2011, 03:04 AM

You are no longer my favorite member.

Laddy
05-12-2011, 03:50 AM
Soccer can seriously fuck off. I'm sick to death of it, and how pathetic the players are; all they need to do is trip on a goddamn pebble and they cry like bitches for ten minutes. They need to watch some boxing so they can man the fuck up and be given some breakfall training so they don't hurt their asses falling over.You sir are so wrong. Your opinion is bad. Just plain bad.

Jiro
05-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Yes yes but it's not required.

Also damn you Bert and your set. Apologies to Iceglow for assuming he was some kind of backstabbing bastard. You're allowed to think your NFL is beautiful but that's not what I'm talking about :argh:

Timekeeper
05-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Anyone who thinks Soccer is a pansy sport needs to read this thread! (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/137103-ritualized-homosexuality-nacirema-subculture.html)

Loony BoB
05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
:up:

Oh man, this gives a whole new thought to 'handball'. :p

Kaie
05-12-2011, 02:26 PM

They can't stand it that they're nowhere in the World Cup (aka the biggest sports event in the world), so they have a tournaments in which only americans play and call it the World Series :omghey:

escobert
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, only Americans play baseball. No south Americans play :/
Oh yeah, that's right the game is dominated by Hispanics :p

Loony BoB
05-12-2011, 09:52 PM
To be fair, USA have won the last two Baseball World Cups.

escobert
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I mean we did invent the sport. But, the Japanese are pretty damn good at baseball and like I said Hispanics mainly the Dominican Republic are dominating it right now.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Who cares? Baseball is boring.

escobert
05-13-2011, 02:49 AM
Who said it wasn't boring? :p

Jessweeee♪
05-13-2011, 03:28 AM
I don't think I can ever call anything boring again after watching golf.

Del Murder
05-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Soccer players aren't pansies. Flopping is just part of the game. NBA players do it all the time.

Soccer is probably second to only boxing in terms of the quality of athlete it demands. Both require strength, speed, endurance. Running around for over an hour straight definitely takes it's toll. Soccer players need to be in top shape and for that the sport gets my respect.

However, I do find it boring. I tried to watch during the World Cup but I just could not do it. I just do not like low scoring sports. 0-0 games in American football are pretty boring too, but at least the action is varied. I know that soccer involves a lot of tactics and scripted plays; it's necessary in a game where points are difficult. But to me it just looks like the ball is going back and forth with no real result. Every play that doesn't result in a goal is a failure, and there are a lot of failures. In football you see spectacular catches, punishing tackles, interceptions, and breakout runs, all of which won't necessarily result in a score. Besides exciting goals, soccer has what? Good kicks? Good saves? I'll give you that one. I do like seeing a good save. I also like seeing when players get jacked up but that seems like it's not in the spirit of the game.

I don't like hockey for the same reasons. But at least that game has sticks and skates. And yeah, baseball can also be pretty boring, but that's more of a statistician's game. I love stats.

Jessweeee♪
05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Hockey and wrestling* are probably the only sports I can watch without dying of boredom, and wrestling is the only one I actually admire.

*By wrestling I don't mean for reals wrestling; I mean the cool kind with lots of stunts and some real dedication when it comes to acting (however poor the acting might be).

Loony BoB
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Soccer is probably second to only boxing in terms of the quality of athlete it demands.
I'll disagree with this. I'd say rugby players have it tougher as they do all the same running twisting and turning as a football player but they also get battered and bruised throughout the ordeal, and have tougher tests of strength included. However, I'd say that football (soccer) players have more technical skill. And yeah, boxers are right up there, definitely.

International football is awful to watch. I wouldn't suggest introducing yourself to football by watching the World Cup, even though it's essentially what I did as well back in 2002. I would suggest watching the English Premier League. It's far, far more exciting. Still the odd 0-0, but yeah, much better to watch. Faster, better crowds, etc. But for pure entertainment with guaranteed scoring, watch rugby. The rugby world cup is on this year, and it's one of the few sports where the international matches are of top quality, so I'm hoping it'll be really good.

The thing that can make low-scoring sports good is that there is very often the possibility of a win being turned into a draw or even a loss in the matter of a few minutes right at the end of a game. Sure, you don't get to see so many goals, but the worth of the goals is enhanced that way and also very often the worth of the games themselves. When you watch high-scoring affairs, it's often a game that is already over before half-time, and while that can mean you get to see a lot of goals/tries/tuchdowns/whatever, it also means that you very rarely get genuine excitement to euphoric levels at the very end of a match. It feels very good to watch your team turn around a game in the dying minutes. :)

Jiro
05-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Ugh, no, don't start with the English Premiership. Pick a :bou::bou::bou::bou: foreign league where they just get stuck in. Barclay's has fantastic quality but newbies are just like "well when are they going to take a shot?"

Loony BoB
05-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, if you're after people who get stuck in but don't show any real talent, sure, watch Aussie Rules or something. ;) But for football (soccer), EPL is the best for pure entertainment. And possibly one of the only leagues you'll even be able to watch in the US. :p I suppose they could watch MLS, but eh, I've no experience on whether or not that's any good.

Jiro
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I can't remember whether it was the Premiership final or the FA Cup final but the match spent 80 minutes being kicked around midfield. That's not entertaining. The Australian League isn't great quality but they still take chances. If the EPL players were just a tad bit more daring then it would be perfect. Actually maybe it's just :bou::bou::bou::bou: like Chelsea et al who are to blame :monster:

Loony BoB
05-13-2011, 12:39 PM
There is no Premier League final, it's a league. No knockout rounds involved. :p And yes, there will always be dull games on occasion. But watch, for example, Manchester United vs. Manchester City or Everton vs. Liverpool and you'll generally get a good match. And if you want atmosphere, Celtic vs. Rangers. Dangerous atmosphere. :p

The A-League (Australian league, for those who don't know) scorelines aren't anything dramatically different from the English PL scorelines. Just less talented. :p Lots of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1 in there, too.

Chelsea is not known for being very entertaining or adventurous.

Shauna
05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
And if you want atmosphere, Celtic vs. Rangers. Dangerous atmosphere. :p

I make sure not to venture out of my flat when there's been a Celtic or Rangers game on. I do not want to get stabbed. ;_;

Old Manus
05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
The Premiership is probably the most exciting and 'daring' of all domestic leagues. I don't know what you're talking about. Serie A is a defensive borefest, and La Liga is just Barcelona and Real Madrid fondling each other above a league of C-class football teams. The Bundesliga and whatever they call the French league are more competitive competitions, but by and large the standard is lower.

Cuchulainn
05-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I can't remember whether it was the Premiership final or the FA Cup final but the match spent 80 minutes being kicked around midfield. That's not entertaining. The Australian League isn't great quality but they still take chances. If the EPL players were just a tad bit more daring then it would be perfect. Actually maybe it's just :bou::bou::bou::bou: like Chelsea et al who are to blame :monster:

Go smurf yourself. Premiership is the finest in Europe. Do not judge the best league by the worst teams.

EDIT BY BoB: Do not instruct people in such a manner.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
*By wrestling I don't mean for reals wrestling; I mean the cool kind with lots of stunts and some real dedication when it comes to acting (however poor the acting might be).
You sure about that?
5 Reasons Pro Wrestlers are the Best Actors in the World | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-pro-wrestlers-are-best-actors-in-world/)

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2011, 01:51 AM
You sure about that?
5 Reasons Pro Wrestlers are the Best Actors in the World | Cracked.com (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-pro-wrestlers-are-best-actors-in-world/)

I read that! Like I said, they're very very dedicated, but it's like watching a soap opera xD

Cuchulainn
05-14-2011, 05:13 AM
Come on wrestling is the worst :bou::bou::bou::bou: on TV.

PS: That wrestler Dino Bravo was murdered in the 90s. He was balls deep in some gangster :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I had a sticker of him when I was a youngun.

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2011, 07:09 AM
It's the most hilarious thing to ever happen to TV ever and I love it.

Bunny
05-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Come on wrestling is the worst :bou::bou::bou::bou: on TV.

Someone hasn't seen Glee.

Jiro
05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
I feel that you shouldn't snip Cuch when he is right!

I Don't Need A Name
05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Wrestling is terrible. And back to the point in hand:
You Both Fight Like Fairys! (http://www.biglolz.com/1692)

Laddy
05-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm an actor. Does that make me a wrestler?

I Don't Need A Name
05-15-2011, 04:56 PM
As long as you can take steriods, try and look manly whilst wearing tight underwear and glare at a camera, then yeah, sure!

Jessweeee♪
05-15-2011, 05:14 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Del Murder
05-15-2011, 06:17 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bunny
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm an actor. Does that make me a wrestler?

Oh yeah? What have you been in?

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Men.

I Took the Red Pill
05-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Soccer is an an alright sport, I'll sit in on and watch maybe half a match if my friends (many of whom are obsessed with soccer and wish they were biscuit-munchers), but I do find it quite boring after watching it for approximately 20 minutes. Goals are pretty cool, but yeah everything in between, including the dives and the lollygagging that a winning team inevitably bust out to waste time on the clock is just insufferable for me. I understand that it's part of the culture of the game but it's just not for me. SHRUG oh well

tbh it pisses me off a little bit when I hear the whole "YA BUT THER WEARING PADS" schtick. Defensive players in the NFL rarely live to see 60 due to the ridiculous trauma their bodies sustain (especially to the head). Check out this article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/sports/football/03duerson.html) and remember that all this is going down with helmets and pads. Protective gear was introduced because players were either sustaining serious brain injury or just flat out dying on the field. I realize that this interjection is usually blurted out when somebody makes the equally childish claim that soccer is for pansies, but come on now.