PDA

View Full Version : How should I train my characters? (GBA)

SS2 Vegeto
05-11-2011, 04:58 AM
This will be my first time playing through the whole game, and I would like some advice on how to go about training the characters. My first concern has to do with armor. Which characters should I equip with what kind? I know that for pure mages, it's best to choose the armor with the lowest INT/SOUL penalty, but what about a paladin-type character, for example? What sort of range should the penalty be kept within for a fighter who doubles as a white/black mage?

My second concern has to do with magic. I would like to teach Firion at least a couple of elemental spells, but I'm not sure how well that would work out with Maria as my black mage. Is a paladin with some elemental spells just a bad idea? If so, is there another way that I can make it work? Also, what sorts of magic do you recommend teaching to the characters outside of the original party? Are there characters that I should just not bother teaching any magic, or are there some spells that it always helps to have access to?

Finally, I've heard that weapons carry no INT/SOUL penalties in the Game Boy Advanced version. Is this true?

I realize that this is quite an onslaught of questions, but I don't want to play halfway through the game only to be disappointed in the way I've done things. I would truly appreciate any help that you are willing to offer.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I can't answer anything about the GBA version cause I've only really played the PS Origins version but I can try to answer your questions.

In terms of what armor to wear, it is important to be concerned about the Spirit/Int penalties but Int seems to have steeper penalties than Spirit. You also have to put in account magic level which will allow you to get around this. Cure and Raise will most likely have naturally high levels (or should at least) and you don't need really high levels for Buff abilities like Hast and Shield since levels only really affect accuracy of the spell working on a target, so level 5 is more than enough to get these abilities to work. You're real issue will be with offensive spells like Warp, Holy, and Ultima which will need higher levels if you wear heavier armor but to be honest, if you have a dedicated black mage, you won't need these spells.

You're black mage should stick to light clothing and robes. Staffs are good as well as shields to build up evasion and speed but you'll eventually want o move them into the back row and drop the shields. A "Paladin" style character can be equipped with whatever you need to make them work, as long as spell levels are high. I wouldn't really recommend teaching more than one character elemental spells. Magic is a bitch to level up so its more practical and better for your sanity to stick to a single character using all the spells. I also recommend you're "Black Mage" learn not only all three elemental magics but Frog (which is actually an instant death spell in this game) Teleport, and Flare. The one spell I do recommend teaching to other people is Cure. You'll need extra so your White Mage/Paladin doesn't blow all their MP in the games rather lengthy dungeons.

As for the fourth character slots...

Minwu - is pretty awesome as is. You really don't need to tinker with him.

Josef - Starts off weak, but don't be fooled, once he gains some levels in his Bare Hand he's a beast.

Gordon - Is pretty crummy but works pretty well with a shield and spear.

Leila - Doesn't really have any special area of expertise, she's kind of all over the place so try to make her more focused.

Gareth - Is a pretty decent warrior but arrives so late in the game he'll be pretty crappy compared to the rest of your party.

????? - Starts off with much higher stats than usual for the fourth character, he already has high proficiency with some weapons and Black Magic. My main recommendation for him is that since its difficult to power level the fourth member of your party, you're best bet is to just give them the best weapons and equipment available to bring them up to par with your other characters.

SS2 Vegeto
05-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, Wolf Kanno. So, I should use heavy armor for everyone who isn't a pure mage, huh?

As it happens, weapons and shields don't cause magic penalties in Dawn of Souls after all.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2011, 06:13 AM
To be honest, there isn't much in the way of pure mage garb in the game. You might want them to go naked if that doesn't bother you. ;)

SS2 Vegeto
05-11-2011, 06:22 AM
I probably will, until I find a robe or something.

Wolf Kanno
05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
It will probably be awhile before you get one, if memory serves me correct.

SS2 Vegeto
05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
By the way, for Soul of Rebirth (a bonus quest in the Dawn of Souls version) I'll have to run a party of Minwu, Josef, Ricard, and Scott. I think that I'll make Scott my dedicated black mage for that party, seeing as Josef and Ricard are better physical attackers from what I've read, and Minwu takes care of white magic. This seems fairly straight forward to me, but I thought that I ought to mention it just in case anyone has something to add.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Sounds like a plan. Just leave Josef as a Monk and make Ricard/Gareth work on swords and axes.

SS2 Vegeto
05-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Not spears? In the GBA version, he's as skilled with spears as he is with swords when he joins the party. Wyvern's Lance, his ultimate weapon in Soul of Rebirth, has an attack power of 169 and grants +99 strength and agility. That weapon wasn't in the NES or PS versions, and it seems to kick the crap out of any axe that I could give him. In fact, every character has an exclusive "ultimate weapon" in the Dawn of Souls version of Final Fantasy II, so I'd like to try training them to use their corresponding weapon type.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Works for me, I've only played the PS1 version, hence why I keep mistakenly calling Ricard "Gareth". I only said axes and swords cause in the Origins version that doesn't have his ultimate weapon, spears eventually lag behind Axes and Swords in terms of damage. They're kind of a crappy weapon by end game. Yet, if SE is going to make a weapon that awesome I say you're doing the right thing.

Though I would like to give one hint: Keep one guy on this team skilled with swords and when you acquire a weapon called the Blood Sword (there are two of them in the game). Give it to Ricard (cause he'll be the guy in your party when they become accessible), either as a main weapon or in one of his item slots (I don't know if DoS did away with it or not). That way, he'll have it when you do the second dungeons with Minwu and the others and you can give it to whoever you choose to be your swordsman. It's a mediocre weapon but it has a trick to it when used against certain enemies.

SS2 Vegeto
05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Whoops, on second look it seems that only Minwu, Josef, Ricard and Scott have ultimate weapons in Dawn of Souls. It's in the PSP version that everyone has an ultimate weapon.

I've heard about the blood swords. I'll leave one with Ricard.

EDIT: Looks like there's only one of them in this version.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Seriously? I thought there were two in all versions?

SS2 Vegeto
05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
No, unless both of my sources are mistaken, it would appear that there's only one.

Hollycat
05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
nope, there are two, DONT USE THEM EXCEPT AGAINST THE EMPEROR, equip ricard with spears, his unique weapon is a spear that casts beserk on everyonw, give josef axes, he levels up really quick with them.

Wolf Kanno
05-14-2011, 01:15 AM
I W-Checked, you're correct SS2 Vegeto, they removed the one from the bottom of Fynn castle in the GBA and PSP versions. Probably cause of how easy it makes the final stretch of bosses.

Hollycat
05-14-2011, 05:24 AM
the second gba one is just hidden in a secret room i beleive... I know ive had firion with two before
you are right about the psp vversion for sure

SS2 Vegeto
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Are you sure about that? I just tracked down two more sources telling me that there is only one blood sword in the Dawn of Souls version, whereas I have been unable to find any information on the location of a second.

the second gba one is just hidden in a secret room i beleive...

You mean the secret room next to the bed in Paul's house? The existence of that blood sword was never in contention. The other blood sword was found on B4 of Castle Fynn, and was the first of the two, but it was removed from both the Dawn of Souls and 20th Anniversary releases.

Jiro
05-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Dawn of Souls robs you :argh:

SS2 Vegeto
05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Should I have Ricard dual weild a spear and sword, or leave him with a shield?

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2011, 11:54 PM
I like shields cause they keep up survivability but dual wielding will raise damage significantly. Maybe keep him dual wielding so he takes more damage from hits and raise his HP and endurance faster. Also, its better to dual wield the same type of weapon if you haven't maxed out the proficiency, cause you gt twice the XP towards weapon proficiency if its the same type of weapon making them more effective. I'd start Ricard with spears and make swords his secondary priority.

SS2 Vegeto
05-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks again, Wolf Kanno. I'll keep that in mind as I train.

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2011, 05:16 AM
No problem. :D

SS2 Vegeto
05-19-2011, 07:05 AM
I decided to leave the blood sword with the main party, as the Soul of Rebirth party receives better weapons on the whole.

Now, I've just received Leon, and my plan is to train him in swords and axes. I notice that he has pretty good intelligence and magic stats as well, though, and was wondering whether I should make him into sort of a black magic version of Firion, or train him as a pure physical attacker. Any thoughts?

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Making him another brawler is going to be easier, but I like giving him some black magic like drain, osmose, death, and Flare. Granted, only if I found some some more cause I usually give first dibs to my dedicated mage.

SS2 Vegeto
05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
I have a stupid number of tomes right now, so I'll probably do that for the sake of variety.

EDIT: I have 21 aura tomes.

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Lol, just sell them I guess.