PDA

View Full Version : What Game is This?

FFIX Choco Boy
05-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Alright, so I was thinking today, and I remembered a computer game I used to play, but I don't know what it's called. I was wanting to see if any of you know it? Also, if we get it figured out, I guess this can be a thread for that game.

Well, the start is of course character creation. You can make up to five or six characters, choose male or female, their class, and then the color of their clothes. You start out in this snowy area, and the entrance to the monster infested area is to the left of the town. It's shaped kind of like a hairpin. There are groups of goblins and goblin archers in this area, and at the end of the little corridor is a cave. Inside the cave, there's more monsters, but unfortunately I don't remember anything else. The gameplay is kind of like Arcanum, except you control all 5 or 6 party members at once. It also looks kind of like Arcanum, but the graphics are a little worse. I'm sorry I really can't remember any more, but that's the best I can do. I'm sure I'll know it when I see it, though. Does anyone have any idea?

Dreddz
05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Could be one of the Might and Magic games. I only say that because I know you create a party roughly of five at the start of each game (I think anyway). Other than that I'm clueless. Sorry.

EDIT - Heroes of Might and Magic IV is my best guess.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Nah, it wasn't a MaM game. I do remember a little more; I'm pretty sure it had a Diablo like inventory system, meaning all items have a designated size, but weights don't make any difference.

Bunny
05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Magicka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicka)

?

Iceglow
05-11-2011, 11:54 PM
wouldn't be Icewind Dale would it?

Madame Adequate
05-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah sounds like Icewind Dale to me.

FFIX Choco Boy
05-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, that's it! Thank you guys.

Laddy
05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Try Baldur's Gate on the PC. It's a lot like it. It even has the same engine!

Jiro
05-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I think this has been the most successful "halp what game is this" thread EoFF has ever seen. What's Icewind Dale like?

Iceglow
05-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Icewind Dale was a Forgotten Realms game meaning it is similar in design, style and even shares common story plots with Bauldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Gameplay wise, very similar to Bauldur's Gate as stated it shares the same engine as it, so it has a strong D&D rule set. In the Forgotten Realms books series, Icewind Dale is a story of Drizzt Do'Urden written by R.A. Salvatore set prior to the hunters blade trilogy.

Madame Adequate
05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I think this has been the most successful "halp what game is this" thread EoFF has ever seen. What's Icewind Dale like?

Baldur's Gate, but colder.

Skyblade
05-13-2011, 04:29 AM
Well, as long as this thread is up, I might as well pop in, because there is a game I have been trying to remember for a while now as well.

The problem is, it's old. As in, floppy disk based. It was set in feudal Japan, and featured a couple gameplay modes. The main one I remember was the dungeon crawl, where you got a top-down map similar to the old Ultima games, and controlled your little ninja/samarai dude as he explored enemy fortresses looking for enemies to slaughter and the leader of the forces, who was typically your target. And you could kill him instantly if you found him sleeping, or challenge him to a duel if he was all awake.

Beyond that, I don't remember much. But I do seem to remember enjoying it. Ah, nostalgia.

Also, given the number of these threads that have bounced around, why don't we just sticky one and have everyone ask in the same thread? Keep the information consolidated, and pop up old gems for people who may not have played them?

FFIX Choco Boy
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I think that's a good idea Skyblade. I also think I know what game you're looking for, but I seem to have forgotten the name, as well.

PS: I remember why I quit Icewind Dale. Saving after every battle because the easiest enemy in the game can get lucky and kill a character sucks. And versing a group of 20 monsters while trying to not let anyone die sucks more.

Værn
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Dang, showed up too late. I've still got Icewind Dale 2 on my desk, actually :P

Old Manus
05-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I could have sworn it was Gran Turismo 2.

Bunny
05-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I think that's a good idea Skyblade. I also think I know what game you're looking for, but I seem to have forgotten the name, as well.

PS: I remember why I quit Icewind Dale. Saving after every battle because the easiest enemy in the game can get lucky and kill a character sucks. And versing a group of 20 monsters while trying to not let anyone die sucks more.

Welcome to D&D.

Laddy
05-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I've definitely faced that problem more throughout Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.

escobert
05-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Icewind dale was the worst of those game imo. I very much enjoyed BG and BG2 a lot more. Also, Never Winter Nights was very fun.

FFIX Choco Boy
06-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I've thought of another one. It's an RTS like the Warcrafts 1-3. You start the campaign with just a Japanese Samurai, inside of a village that is being raided. You can choose to side with the raiders, who are lead by a ninja, and whose color I think is blue. Or you can help the villagers, who are headed by a guy with a hammer, and who I think are orange. You may be able to stay neutral, too. Either way, that choice affects what color you are, what buildings you start out with, and the path your campaign takes. If I remember correctly, though, after 4 or 5 missions you get the character you chose not to help in your party, and all the building types that they knew how to make but you didn't. I'm also pretty sure you have to gather rice for food, and you can train soldiers at a dojo, and you can make geisha.

Christmas
04-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Anyone know? I wanna know. Sounds interesting!

Shauna
04-18-2022, 04:00 PM
wouldn't be Icewind Dale would it?

Yeah sounds like Icewind Dale to me.

Yeah, that's it! Thank you guys.

DK
04-18-2022, 06:36 PM

Baldur's Gate, but colder.

Coldur's Gate surely

Christmas
04-19-2022, 05:12 AM
Ok, so I've thought of another one. It's an RTS like the Warcrafts 1-3. You start the campaign with just a Japanese Samurai, inside of a village that is being raided. You can choose to side with the raiders, who are lead by a ninja, and whose color I think is blue. Or you can help the villagers, who are headed by a guy with a hammer, and who I think are orange. You may be able to stay neutral, too. Either way, that choice affects what color you are, what buildings you start out with, and the path your campaign takes. If I remember correctly, though, after 4 or 5 missions you get the character you chose not to help in your party, and all the building types that they knew how to make but you didn't. I'm also pretty sure you have to gather rice for food, and you can train soldiers at a dojo, and you can make geisha.

I meant this one.

Shauna
04-19-2022, 09:30 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Realms

Seems to fit the bill (also sorry I totally missed that post lmao)