PDA

View Full Version : Stern vs. gamers

Flying Arrow
05-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Howard Stern Slams Gaming Convention Attendees (NSFW) (http://www.1up.com/news/howard-stern-slams-gaming-convention-attendees)

Thoughts? Who here has an income? Who knows what an income is? How many of you poor souls even get daily contact with a member of the opposite sex?

I think this is a funny article, not really because I think Stern is funny (he sometimes is), but because of the reaction it gets in the comments section. More than 150 comments, and all either side with or against Stern (and attempting to justify why), not realizing that they are getting trolled by one of the biggest smurfing shock trolls in media.

EDIT: Specifically for members here, keep an ear out for the "annoying" music Stern refers to.

Mirage
05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Don't even know who that is

Bunny
05-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh Stern.

KentaRawr!
05-14-2011, 01:07 AM

Ditto. But I liked Spock in Star Trek.

DMKA
05-14-2011, 01:14 AM

Ditto. But I liked Spock in Star Trek.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm mocking Stern's point or...the far more hilarious opposite. xD

Gamers are so easily offended and whiny about it. They're the new furries.

EDIT: I nearly pissed myself laughing at the comments on that article. Good show.

NorthernChaosGod
05-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Wouldn't furries be the new gamers? Gamers were getting :bou::bou::bou::bou: long before furries were common knowledge and gaming is supposed to be considered cool or at least an okay hobby. :|

Also, I hate that guy. He's not funny.

Shauna
05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Eh. This is not the kind of exposure gamers need. :3 It's only perpetrating the awful image the world has of gamers already. We will never get respect with this sort of thing. xD

Flying Arrow
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
^ I would argue it's not really exposure at all. It's just Howard Stern. Gamers are about a millionth on the list of "groups" he's made a segment about.

And just out of curiosity: What do you mean by "respect"? Why would gamers as a collective of individuals who share a videogaming hobby deserve respect? I'm not saying no respect should be given, but I'm not sure precisely what form of respect needs to be or should be given. I mean, I don't demand any kind of respect as a baseball fan from non-baseball fans. Conversely, I don't have any respect or disrespect for frequent clubgoers. It's just... a common activity in which people partake.

Shauna
05-14-2011, 10:37 PM
I have no idea who Howard Stern is. :P Means nothing to me. But, since this is perpetrating the idea that gamers are fatties who spend all their time playing video games and living in their parents basement... it's just enforcing the negative stereotype.

I mean like... if you are a baseball fan, people who don't like baseball aren't going to look down on you for liking baseball. However, enjoying video games does have a stigma to it. Perhaps respect was the wrong way to put it, but yeah. I will admit though, it is going away, but the general stereotyped gamer still lingers. Ah well. :3

Big D
05-15-2011, 03:21 AM
It's gotta be ten years or so since I even saw Stern's name in the media. I guess that when a man - and his career - has become that faded and decrepit he's really got to grasp for any attention he can get.

He certainly managed to grab sound-bites from gaming's lowest echelons, though. An effective piece in that respect.

Still, it's basically a prime example of "You know what's stupid? Everything I don't understand" ("http://www.theonion.com/articles/you-know-whats-stupid-everything-i-dont-understand,11369/) in action.

:edit: Also, gotta lol at the thought a man near retirement age, ranting about how people need to get a job and have a career, when he makes his own living by saying naughty words on a radio show.

Iceglow
05-20-2011, 07:46 AM
One of the most ironic things in that show is that Stern was using terms like Douche, terms coined and used as insults by Gamers over the years. Was I the only one who got that when he said it?

I found it funny however just in how he manages to basically come across kinda how I imagine Raistlin would. Crotchety old bastard who moans and pisses about anything he doesn't understand bit like Grandpa Simpson in the Simpsons.

I will point out that I've only been to 2 gaming conventions ever, both of the conventions I went to I got sent to by the company I was working for at the time. I don't live in my parents basement however I do live in a garage conversion (not my parents place either) and I do have a career, well a job at least. Stern fails pretty hard but yeah the trolling is quite funny.

Shlup
05-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I prefer to pretend that I live in a world where Howard Stern doesn't exist.

Yar
05-21-2011, 10:37 PM
These nerds are saying really ridiculous things in the "interviews". I agree with Stern.

But, everyone involved should get a life. :p

Carl the Llama
05-22-2011, 04:06 AM
I prefer to pretend that I live in a world where Howard Stern doesn't exist.

Move to England, I have never heard of Stern so I am pretty sure no one I know has either xD

In response to the article, I have a career, I am a store manager and an area trainer, granted I live with my mom but the house is in my name and she lives with me lol.

We also do not have a basement lol.