PDA

View Full Version : Maths

Baloki
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
How would you go about solving the following maths problem:

Rebecca (m=40kg) is at the bus stop when her friends drive up. She can either sit in the front seat or the back seat. The front seat has a coefficient of static friction u=.5
The back seat has a coefficient of static friction u=.7. If she sits in the front seat she has to hold her friend's books (m=10kg). If she wants to maximize her total static friction force possible, which seat should she most likely take?

a) front seat but not the back seat
b) back seat but not the back seat
c) either the front seat or the back seat

And what would you say is your favourite aspect of the language of Mathematics? Did you do it at school and do you enjoy it?

Edit: You may use this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0) for reference to help you with your test.

escobert
05-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I hate math :mad2:

Loony BoB
05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
That's more physics than mathematics.

Baloki
05-15-2011, 01:45 PM
That's more physics than mathematics.

Look you, I don't come into your threads ruining your thinly vied topics!

qwertysaur
05-15-2011, 01:53 PM
f = μN = μmg
for the front f = .5*50*9.81 = 245.25 N

for the back f = .7*40*9.81 = 274.68 N

The answer is she should sit in the back.

I love math. :bigsmile:

Laddy
05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Math sucks.

o_O
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I liked it enough to do a degree in it. But calculus, not stats. Stats is worse than <i>drama</i>.

I Don't Need A Name
05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I loved maths. Lots of fun. Working out a difficult equation is an awesomely fulfilling feeling xD And maths jokes are far funnier than most jokes, with the added bonus that most of the people around you don't get them.

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u) is a fun equation

o_O
05-15-2011, 04:21 PM
maths jokes are far funnier than most jokes, with the added bonus that most of the people around you don't get them.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BipvGD-LCjU">This is also true.</a>

Freya
05-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Mafs is hards.

rubah
05-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Congratulations: You have just passed Statics 101.

Now, assuming that slipping is impending (coefficient of sliding friction = .3), write the equation of motion for the girl, assuming that the car has taken off with m = 1000kg, acceleration of .75g m/s^2
I'm not fucking doing it. Statics and dynamics were my least favorite parts of my degree

Loony BoB
05-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I liked it enough to do a degree in it. But calculus, not stats. Stats is worse than <i>drama</i>.
Oh man, I was the opposite. I loved stats and hated calc. Well, didn't hate... just never enjoyed. Stu and I cut out squares from our maths exercise books and created a chess set using them. Our teacher was unimpressed for the most part, but would generally be satisfied if we did our coursework on time despite playing chess at the same time. :D

rubah
05-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Wait, Carny?

NorthernChaosGod
05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
I saw this a while ago, I lol'd.

qwertysaur
05-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Calculus is better then Stats. Chances are you are either going to be tangent to the curve or just getting under the covers. :bigsmile:

Math jokes are always great.

The first day we started integrals in BC calc the teacher wrote on the board the integral of e to the x equals f of u times n. :bigsmile:

fire_of_avalon
05-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't get it.

NorthernChaosGod
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't get it.

Did you listen to the song while reading?

I Took the Red Pill
05-16-2011, 12:48 AM
maths jokes are far funnier than most jokes, with the added bonus that most of the people around you don't get them.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BipvGD-LCjU">This is also true.</a>Hahahaha dude, the chubbier guy in that group was my professor for three classes. He is easily the funniest professor I've ever had and has written me recommendation letters for research opportunities. Small world.

And yes, I enjoy mathematics. Enough to pursue a degree. I decided to grab a major in it at first because I liked Calculus, but I soon enough realized that Calculus is insufferably boring compared to other stuff out there. Give me Abstract Algebra over any type of Calculus and I will be a happy man (though I will admit that results such as Picard's Theorem are absolutely beautiful). I'll take Galois over Cauchy any day. :aimsmile: