PDA

View Full Version : Are/were Namco ashamed of Soul Blade?

MJN SEIFER
05-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I've touched on the fact that Soul Blade (Soul Edge in Japan) became Soul Calibur rather than Soul Blade II and so on, but also I have heard that Namco rarely consider Soul Blade to be a prequel despite the fact that it is one, and tend to not ignore Soul Blade hearsay, but see it as more of background stuff - they have the obvious fact that the Calibur games have most of the Soul Blade cast, and they all have the correct storylines, but they seem to want it to be viewed as Soul Blade is one game, Soul Calibur is another series, featuring most of Soul Blade's cast.

Also, in Soul Calibur, if you complete arcade mode with Maxi he dies of injuries sustained in the final battle, as well as the fact he used all his energy to fight - and to indicate this, he is unable to finish his usual "Victory Scene", and instead starts to fall, clearly dying. The exact same thing happens with Li Long in Soul Blade. Did Namco want to include a storyline where a character dies after defeating all enemies, but feel they didn't do the storyline justice with Li Long, so they tried it again? Notice both characters used Nunchaku (and, yes Li Long DID use Nunchaku, despite what the UK version said - "strange weapon he made himself" indeed! :roll2)

Dreddz
05-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't reckon Namco would be ashamed of Soul Blade. For a game initially released in 1996 it was quite impressive and Namco should be proud of it. I guess the leap in quality between Soul Blade and Soul Calibur means Namco distinguishes the two as seperate franchises.

I haven't played Soul Blade in a looooong time (probably as far back as the late nighties) so I can't say whether Namco has even acknowledged the games existence in the Soul Calibur series. All I know is that without Soul Blade we wouldn't have Soul Calibur so whether Namco is ashamed of the game or not, its a pretty significant game in their portfolio.

MJN SEIFER
05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't reckon Namco would be ashamed of Soul Blade. For a game initially released in 1996 it was quite impressive and Namco should be proud of it. I guess the leap in quality between Soul Blade and Soul Calibur means Namco distinguishes the two as seperate franchises.

It was impressive, I was definitely impressed with it - more so than Tekken in fact (mostly because Soul Blade payed more attention to the storyline), but the last part in what you say makes sense - as good a Soul Blade is, you can clearly see the change in Soul Calibur.

I haven't played Soul Blade in a looooong time (probably as far back as the late nighties) so I can't say whether Namco has even acknowledged the games existence in the Soul Calibur series. All I know is that without Soul Blade we wouldn't have Soul Calibur so whether Namco is ashamed of the game or not, its a pretty significant game in their portfolio.

I still play it (the only Soul I don't have is Soul Calibur), and yes there is evidence of Soul Blade in the later games; Your probably not that familiar with the characters anymore, so you may not know what I'm on about, but when you look at the SC character's storylines there is evidence of their SB storylines, even if they're not complete (this is because SC mostly follow's Siegfried's SB storyline, but it follows the other character's storylines up until a point) I don't know if you remember what happens in Siegfried's Soul Blade ending, but that is pretty much where Soul Calibur begins.

black orb
05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
>>> I used to play Soul Edge in the arcades, it was a bad ass game..:luca:

They should be ashamed of lame games like Tekken instead..

Polnareff
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree with Dreddz-- Soul Blade was a really awesome looking and playing game for its time.

But at the same time, it DOES seem as if Namco can't bear to acknowledge the game. In arcades they called it Soul Edge, didn't they? Then the console one was called Soul Blade (anybody know the reason for this?). But then when Soul Calibur came out, it was as if SB never existed....

MJN SEIFER
05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
In arcades they called it Soul Edge, didn't they? Then the console one was called Soul Blade (anybody know the reason for this?).

It's still Soul Edge in every version in Japan. Apparently non-Japanese gamers were believed too thick to know that an "Edge" can be the blade of a sword (I can't remember where I read that). The stupid part is that the game was called Soul Edge because that was the name of an important sword in the game's storyline (as was Soul Calibur) - despite the name change, the sword itself remained to be called "Soul Edge". So really caling the game Soul Blade makes less sense the more I think about it...

sharkythesharkdogg
05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
>>> I used to play Soul Edge in the arcades, it was a bad ass game..:luca:

They should be ashamed of lame games like Tekken instead..

WHAT?!?!??!!?

We shall have to agree to disagree.

Either way, I agree with what's already been suggested about Namco simply wanting to emphasis the improvements made on Soul Blade in it's sequel. I wouldn't be ashamed if I were Namco. The game was incredible. It put Battle Arena Toshinden to shame.

MJN SEIFER
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
To be fair, I like Tekken too, but it annoyed me how you had to do tons of research to find the storyline of each character until Tekken 5, which had a Story Mode (so did Tekken 4, but it was poorly implemented). Soul Blade had more of a storyline, and you could see it while playing the game.

Rase
05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Apparently non-Japanese gamers were believed too thick to know that an "Edge" can be the blade of a sword (I can't remember where I read that).
If that's true than Namco is/was fucking stupid. I'd be more inclined to believe it's some myth fabricated by a Western Japanophile though.

Soul Blade was a good starting point, but I feel it was so improved upon by Soul Calibur that it's largely irrelevant now. Happens all the time to good games, doesn't mean the developer is ashamed of them.

MJN SEIFER
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I guess they may just be over looking it because the SC games improved on so much, as everyone's saying, but I still find it weird how one character in Soul Calibur has a really similar ending to another character in Soul Blade, and even builds up to it the same way (by being unable to finish his "victory pose"), and the characters use the same weapon (but don't fight the same). Did Namco feel the first ending wasn't done right or something?

Polnareff
05-18-2011, 10:01 PM
In arcades they called it Soul Edge, didn't they? Then the console one was called Soul Blade (anybody know the reason for this?).

It's still Soul Edge in every version in Japan.

I was thinking of when they put the game out in the US, the arcade version was still called Soul Edge but Namco called it Soul Blade in English-speaking territories when it hit PSX. Supposedly there was some trademark issue or something that led to this.

What is REALLY strange about the shift from Edge to Calibur is that Namco actually dropped a couple gameplay mechanics in the transition. Namely, the sword-shaped bar that allowed you to do little supers, and a couple other things.

Calibur is like a whole different beast in terms of feel as well. It feels more hard-hitting.

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Soul Blade one of the launch titles for the PSX? I think I remember watch a trailer for it on the Demo 1 CD that came with my PSX. Wow talk about gaming nostalgia :lol:

MJN SEIFER
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I was thinking of when they put the game out in the US, the arcade version was still called Soul Edge but Namco called it Soul Blade in English-speaking territories when it hit PSX. Supposedly there was some trademark issue or something that led to this.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure there was a Soul Edge arcade machine at some place I used to hangout as a kid, which was closer to the Japanese version, and one of the characters, Hwang, wasn't there.

I dunno if there was a legal issue on the name "Soul Edge" though...

Polnareff
05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Soul Blade one of the launch titles for the PSX? I think I remember watch a trailer for it on the Demo 1 CD that came with my PSX. Wow talk about gaming nostalgia :lol:

Soul Blade came out about a year or so after the PSX's launch. Like, closer to '97.

Although Battle Arena Toshinden was a launch title, I'm fairly certain.

'96 was a decent year for weapons-based fighters. Soul Edge, Toshinden 2, Star Gladiator, and I think Samurai Shodown IV all came out in '96.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
I do miss the fact that in the modern games you can't break weapons. I thought it added an interesting element to the game. Can't rely on the classic "guard and then counter-attack" style of gameplay as much.

Shattered Dreamer
05-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Soul Blade came out about a year or so after the PSX's launch. Like, closer to '97.

Although Battle Arena Toshinden was a launch title, I'm fairly certain.

'96 was a decent year for weapons-based fighters. Soul Edge, Toshinden 2, Star Gladiator, and I think Samurai Shodown IV all came out in '96.

Battle Arena Toshinden was the first game I got with my PSX. Although it's sequels sucked (and sucked hard) I loved this game!

Polnareff
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Hell, I still have Toshinden 1, Toshinden 3, and I even have Toshinden Remix for Saturn which is a crappy port of the first game. I love the series, even though it's pretty clunky..... the Wii game put the final nail in the coffin almost ten years after the series had ended. :mad2:

Shattered Dreamer
05-19-2011, 01:38 PM
They made a Wii version? Cringe

Polnareff
05-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Yeah, this really crappy reboot where you basically play the game with one button. NOT fun. :(

YouTube - ‪Toshinden Wii Trailer‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3xUbqziMc)

Shattered Dreamer
05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
OMG Someone took a big S.H.1.T. on one of my fav childhood games ;( And no Kayin either! Blasphemers! Blasphemers!

Anyway back to the topic, I was never a Soul Caliber fan, didn't really enjoy weapon based beat em ups except for Battle Arena Toshinden of course ;)

Polnareff
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
They are making a Soul Calibur V now apparently. One of the new characters is named Patroklos and is Sophitia's son.

Soul Calibur 5 Details -- The Game Is 10% Complete And Will Feature At Least 26 Characters - G4tv.com (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712755/soul-calibur-5-details-the-game-is-10-complete-and-will-feature-at-least-26-characters/)

Mo-Nercy
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah, this really crappy reboot where you basically play the game with one button. NOT fun. :(

YouTube - ‪Toshinden Wii Trailer‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3xUbqziMc)
What kind of living hell is this?!

The first game I bought with my PSX was Toshinden 3. I know it's not considered to be the best of the series, but I had a great time with it. Toshinden was the whole reason I got into fighting games like Soul Calibur.

KentaRawr!
05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Soul Calibur V, huh? And it takes place that many years ahead of Soul Calibur IV? Cool!

My only hope for it is that its art style is a bit less flashy than in Soul Calibur IV. When it comes to the art direction, I think Soul Calibur I and III were the high points in the series.

Polnareff
06-04-2011, 01:28 AM
They released a Soul Calibur V trailer today.

Soul Calibur V Video Game, E3 2011: Exclusive Gameplay Debut HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-soul-calibur/714560)

It's really funny how I was talking about them scrapping the super moves after Soul Blade and now this game has them again.

I've been playing the hell out of Soul Calibur II on Xbox. Really missing Time Out right now. (the old Eastland Mall arcade that had SCII, Tekken 4, and a few other games). Besides Soul Blade, II is my favorite game in the series. I use Kilik and Maxi a whole lot in II.

I vote to change the name of the thread to the Soul Calibur thread. :jess: Who's with me?

KentaRawr!
06-08-2011, 11:59 PM
So, Mitsurugi's in, and Sophitia's daughter is a Sophitia clone. Yaaaay!

Polnareff
06-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Also, the reason why it kinda looks like a true Soul Edge sequel is because the producer wanted to call it Soul Edge 2 but Namco shot that idea down.

Soul Calibur V was almost Soul Edge 2 | VG247 (http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/16/soul-calibur-v-was-almost-soul-edge-2/)