PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Idol?

Citizen Bleys
05-16-2011, 06:46 AM
So any interest in an all EffOff singing competition?

Here's how it works: It will be a double-elimination competition where each pair of competitors has to perform a song chosen by yours truly. In each round, every pair of competitors will perform one song, with the winner selected by a popular vote.

If you want to participate, send me a PM by May 31. Since it's double elimination, the number of competitors must be a power of two. I'll accept a maximum of 16 competitors, but if I don't have at least 8 by May 31, I will terminate the competition.

In Round 1, since it's double-elimination, nobody will be disqualified. Half of the competitors (the winners) will be moved to a winner's bracket, and the other half will be moved to a loser's bracket. Those who lose in the loser's bracket in Round 2 are eliminated, but those who lose in the winner's bracket get moved to the loser's bracket, etc.

Since I'm the one choosing the songs for each round, this competition is designed for those who think they can actually sing. I won't choose any songs that are too obscure to be recognizable, but each participant must be prepared to sing any song I choose.

Artists likely to be chosen in Round 1 include Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Great Big Sea, Stan Rogers, and Jonathan Coulton.

All songs must be in English, and all participants selected to perform a song will receive that song by email.

If you're interested in participating, either send me a mognet message or an email at citizenbleys@gmail.com. To emphasize, the minimum number of competitors is 8. If I do not receive 8 competitors by the end of the month, this competition is not happening. If I get 16 entries before May 31, the competition will start early, since the mathematical chance of getting 32+ competitors is mathematically indistinguishable from zero.

EDIT: For those curious: In each round, each bracket will be posted and anyone who reads the thread other than me is eligible to vote. Each voting period will last 7 days. Voting will be done via a mognet message to me (in order to preserve anonymity). Each round the only registered member of EoFF ineligible to vote will be me--so yes, you can vote for yourself, and furthermore are expected to.

EDIT2: No 2 brackets in the same round will have the same artist--so if I choose Psy and PG to perform Volare by Dean Martin, Shiny and Rye are safe from having to do any Dean Martin song.

Contestants: If you have any preferred artists, please advise me of such via mognet message or email. I'll do my best to accomodate you.

I can guarantee that "The Night That Paddy Murphy Died" and "Barret's Privateers" (both excellent drinking songs) will appear in Round 1.

EDIT3: Any posts in this thread to participate are invalid. If you want to be a contestant, you MUST either send me a mognet message (preferred) or an email. If you reply to this thread 32.767 times saying that you love singing and want to play but fail to send a MM or email, you will not be selected as a contestant.

EDIT4: If there are any songs you want to hear (regardless of whether you intend to be a contestant or not) post them here. Please be sure to include which version you want to hear if there are more than one (i.e. if you want to hear Baby Got Back, specify the Sir Mix-A-Lot version or the Jonathan Coulton version)

Jiro
05-16-2011, 07:47 AM
I cannot sing and am not drunk enough to believe I can, so I'm sitting this one out. I'm excited to see who signs up though!

Citizen Bleys
05-16-2011, 08:04 AM
I cannot sing and am not drunk enough to believe I can, so I'm sitting this one out. I'm excited to see who signs up though!

I am hoping that 100% of the contestants record themselves while drunkk.

NorthernChaosGod
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
There has to be some fucking Queen in the competition, then we can find out who can really sing. No Bohemian Rhapsody though, maybe the winner can be required to do that.

qwertysaur
05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
There has to be some fucking Queen in the competition, then we can find out who can really sing. No Bohemian Rhapsody though, maybe the winner can be required to do that.
No. Every entrant must sing a part. :bigsmile:

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Only if you mean that all the losers provide background for the winner.

fire_of_avalon
05-17-2011, 02:47 AM
I wish I could sing so I could play and not be embarrassed.

Yar
05-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Dak says I'm a "good" singer, but I've only sung to him while I'm intoxicated :D

Jiro
05-17-2011, 06:23 AM
If you get him singing slutpop songs then he will rock your world.

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Lol @ slutpop

You guys said I was a good singer before, I think I was also drunk though.

Bunny
05-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I sound like a drunk, angry pterodactyl with throat cancer when I sing.

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Want to do vocals for my band then?

Loony BoB
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Since I'm the one choosing the songs for each round, this competition is designed for those who think they can actually sing.
Awww, man.

Maybe I'll convince Danielle to join in.

Freya
05-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Oh hay i'm listening to dean martin right now ^_^

Remon
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
This will be fun...to spectate.

Bunny
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Want to do vocals for my band then?

That depends on the band name.

NorthernChaosGod
05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I'll let you decide. :)

Jiro
05-19-2011, 03:26 AM
Bunny and the Mexicans

Bunny
05-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Boss Harper and the Irreverent Narcissists.

Rocket Edge
05-19-2011, 03:35 AM
I would join this in a heartbeat, seeing as I get plastered at least once every weekend & am always up for a good sing-song when drunk. Only problem is my mic isn't working. Best of luck to everyone though. :choc2:

Wolf Kanno
05-19-2011, 05:25 AM
I sing pretty well in the shower. ;)

Will it have to be the whole song? Or is a complete verse and chorus sufficient?

NorthernChaosGod
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Boss Harper and the Irreverent Narcissists.

This will do.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I got a Kindle and promptly forgot about this competition.

So did everyone else, apparently. 0 entries have been submitted.

EDIT: Also note that I volunteered to run this competition, not listen to the entries, so I have no problem with people who sound like crap. Only the voters have to suffer through it.

G13
05-20-2011, 10:47 AM
xD

I'm very tempted to do this. It sounds pretty fun, but I'd rather sing a song of my own choosing.

Remon
05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Well if good singing is not required then I'll sign up :p.
I hope good mic is also not required.

Laddy
05-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Sign me up. It's not gonna be good. Still, sign me up.

Jiro
05-21-2011, 08:48 AM
The bravado that I had when I first came into this thread was shot down when you said it was only for people who could sing. I don't have any talent and now I have no desire to compete :(

Værn
05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm very tempted to do this. It sounds pretty fun, but I'd rather sing a song of my own choosing.
This.