PDA

View Full Version : Existence

blackmage_nuke
05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
You are given the opportunity know why the universe was created (the meaning and purpose of life and existence) or how the universe was created (how everything was started, where everything came from)

But you may only chose one

Which do you choose?

Personally I feel 'How' will be much more informative in the grand scheme of things but doesnt really affect my life. Knowing 'Why' will drastically alter the way I live. It's a tough choice but I would personally go with How.

Can a mod make the poll results public for me?

Loony BoB
05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Fixed your poll to public. :)

I chose 'Why' because 'How' makes little difference to the general scheme of things - at least, for me, that is. I suppose it depends on just how deep the 'How' goes. I mean, you can say "It was a big bang, and evolution happened, basically everything you read about in science books is true" and yet God can still exist and have done things that way - I'm not one to believe whether or not God created the world one way or another, I'm more interested in the why he did it this way or that way, or if he did it at all (ie, if he exists at all). Do I want to find out my beliefs are not true? Hrm, no, obviously not. But at the same time, I can accept such things if they turn out that way, I suppose. And if they do turn out to be true, fantastic.

I am more interested in 'Why?' because that is what affects my life rather than science. And according to science, my life is all I have when it comes to existence and that means what I do with it (the why) is more important than how it came about.

I wonder what would happen if all the religions/beliefs in the world to suddenly be told that ____ is right and all you other lot were wrong.

There. I think I've explained myself terribly enough. :p

I Don't Need A Name
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
How. Easily. Being a science student obviously lends itself to me wanting this. I'm much more interested on how something came to be than why. And either way, being a firm atheist, then I'd hope the 'Why' would be included in the how explaination anyway.

Jiro
05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't really care why, so how would be far more interesting. Then watch me as I try to recreate it. A whole universe in my basement!

Peegee
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
surprise surprise the nihilist picks neithee. though you did intrigue me by saying 'why?'

but I'm too aware of tricky djinn to fall for that again %]

Jiro
05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I was hoping someone would say neither. Why'd you pick it you dick Peeg? "Because in the end it doesn't matter" is not a legit answer.

qwertysaur
05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
<3 the uncertainty principle. :bigsmile:

Vermachtnis
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I picked how, so I can make my own and fill it with stuff I like.

Timekeeper
05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I went with why.
If I can understand why it's all here, I may be able to infer how it happened, and what made it happen.
If I go with how, I'll never fully be able to understand why.

qwertysaur
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I went with why.
If I can understand why it's all here, I may be able to infer how it happened, and what made it happen.
No. You can't infer how with why, nor can you infer why with how. It's like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. :p

rubah
05-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I get the feeling that knowing either would utterly confound me, possibly to the point of dementia

Yar
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't care either way. I have bigger things to worry myself about.

I also think that assuming there really is a "why" is a bit...out there. Does the universe need a reason to be here? Why can't it just be? :eek:

Raistlin
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
How, definitely. Why is pointless, as the universe does not have consciousness and there's no reason to believe it was created for any purpose at all. The how, on the other hand, is very interesting.

Shlup
05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd go with the "how" for the same reasons others did. I already know the "why": the purpose of existence is to exist.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
I chose how as well. I think we're all mostly curious by nature. Even if it turns out all this was created by something for a specific reason, I have free will (as far as I can tell), so I really don't care what that reason is. I'm happy doing my thing.

I WOULD like to know how it all happened.

Hollycat
05-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I know why, I want to know how

NorthernChaosGod
05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I want something to tell me 42 is the legitimate answer to why. :)

I Took the Red Pill
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I went with why.
No. You can't infer how with why, nor can you infer why with how. It's like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. :pI'm unsure of why you keep referencing this because it really is not like the uncertainty principle at all.

I think I would prefer to know why. If it turns out to be that there is no why then tough luck I guess.

Bunny
05-17-2011, 10:03 PM
If there is a why, I'd like to know it. Otherwise, how.