PDA

View Full Version : Seth MacFarlane to ruin The Flintstones

Bunny
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Discuss.

Seth MacFarlane Rebooting The Flintstones - TV News at IGN (http://tv.ign.com/articles/116/1168551p1.html)

YABBA DABBA DOO! Seth MacFarlane Finally Gets Go-Ahead To Reboot ‘The Flintstones’ – Deadline.com (http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/yabba-dabba-doo-seth-macfarlane-finally-gets-go-ahead-to-reboot-the-flintstones/)

Rase
05-18-2011, 02:28 AM
the fuck?

Yar
05-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Quality programming on the FOX network. You expected less? For shame...

Slothy
05-18-2011, 03:04 AM
You can't really ruin something that was already a turd anyway. But even if you happened to like the Flintstones, it can't get worse then the slew of live action movies. There's really nowhere to go but up for the series.

Shlup
05-18-2011, 03:07 AM
This makes my heart hurt.

My children will not grow up with this as their Flinstones.

Agent Proto
05-18-2011, 03:18 AM
This is going to be rather interesting. I wonder if this new Flintstones will share the same styles as his other shows. Well, probably not because Fred only has one kid in his family. :p

Jessweeee♪
05-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Family Guy kind of started out as a modern-day Flintstones. But hey, it can't be worse than what they've been doing to Scooby Doo.

Pheesh
05-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Seth Macfarlane and his shows aren't funny, so this won't be funny. What is there to discuss?

Bunny
05-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Top 5 Reasons Seth MacFarlane Should Not Remake The Flintstones.
Top 5 Reasons Seth MacFarlane Should Not Work In Hollywood.
Top 5 Reasons Seth MacFarlane Is Stupid.

Pick your poison.

charliepanayi
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
I can see it now: 'You think that's bad Barney? Remember that time we did something completely unrelated to the plotline of this episode?'

Anyway, I bet it'll be no Viva Rock Vegas, now that was classic Flintstones.

Levian
05-18-2011, 12:14 PM
My thought process:

"How can anything ruin the Flintstones? There's nothing to ruin"
"Is Seth MacFarlane that gay guy in Will & Grace? More like the Flintstones are ruining Seth MacFarlane"
"Oh, it's not him. Who's this guy?"

"Meh."

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Family Guy kind of started out as a modern-day Flintstones. But hey, it can't be worse than what they've been doing to Scooby Doo.

Agreed! My little sister was watching the new Scooby Doo the other day & I caught 5 minutes of it. My inner child wept it was so bloody bad!

As far as Seth MacFarlane goes, I think every time he does something new it ends up better or as good as what came before.

I'm not the biggest fan of Family Guy to begin with. Peter's character is just so fucking stupid. He does random stuff for the sake of being random and a lot of the time it fall completely on it's face & I'm sitting there going "what the fuck? Was that suppose to be funny?" Luckily the show has Brian & Stewie, without the 2 of them I don't think I'd watch it. I also love the delicious irony of Mila Kunis (swoon) voicing Meg :lol:

Then there's American Dad & The Cleveland Show. I love American Dad because it's humor tends to succeed where Family Guy often fails! In actually being funny :lol: The Cleveland Show surprised me with how funny it is! I mean Cleveland was just the token black guy in Family Guy but in his own show he's just dynamite :lol:

As to whether or not I would like to see Seth MacFarlane rework the Flintstone. Ah no! He will do 1 of 2 things to it & fail miserably at both. 1. He's try to make what his idea of an "edgier" version of the original would be ie he'll probably turn Fred into an idiot like Peter. Or 2. he'll make it sort of like a Simpsons deal where it appeals to adults & kids which again will fall flat on face because the original was just a fun kids cartoon and trying to alter that is just wrong!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
^^^ The original Flintstones wasn't just a kids cartoon. It was aimed at children and adults. A lot of the dialogue, and plot lines were aimed at adults. Similar to Rocky and Bullwinkle. Not to sound mean, just sayin'

Here's an old commercial with the characters, it's obvious who the target of the commercial was. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c)

Depression Moon
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah I caught some sexual jokes in that show. Looking back it seemed more for adults than children.

Old Manus
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
It was inevitable, what with the characters in the Flintstones being easily able to fit into the cookie-cutter character roles in Family Guy and its spinoffs.

Shattered Dreamer
05-18-2011, 03:56 PM
^^^ The original Flintstones wasn't just a kids cartoon. It was aimed at children and adults. A lot of the dialogue, and plot lines were aimed at adults. Similar to Rocky and Bullwinkle. Not to sound mean, just sayin'

Here's an old commercial with the characters, it's obvious who the target of the commercial was. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c)

I haven't seen it in about 12 or 13 years so I guess I missed the double entendres :lol:

DMKA
05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
As others have said, if we were talking about someone other than Seth McFarlane, I would say something along the lines of:

Someone is going to "ruin" The Flintstones is like saying Sega "ruined" the Sonic franchise...you can't ruin something that has no direction to go but up.

But that's not the case, we're talking about Seth McFarlane, and if anyone can make a crappy old churned out formulaic Hannah Barbera cartoon worse than it was to begin with, it's him.

But everyone's bigger concern should be that ANYONE is doing a "Flinstones Reboot"...I mean really? A reboot of The Flintstones? I mean seriously, did the world need, or even demand that? Has the television industry really dug that far down into the barrel's bottom?

Hearing about things like this, and the Hawaii Five-O reboot and the potential Dallas reboot kinda makes me weep for future entertainment. Do I have nothing to look forward to in the future but rehashes of crappy franchises I didn't care about to begin with?

Sigh.

Jessweeee♪
05-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I just hope there's no more inter-species sex. The sexual tension between Brain, a dog, and Stewie, a baby, weirds me the fuck out. All of the animals talk in The Flintstones :stare:

Madame Adequate
05-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Yabba-dabba-douche!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I just hope there's no more inter-species sex. The sexual tension between Brain, a dog, and Stewie, a baby, weirds me the smurf out. All of the animals talk in The Flintstones :stare:

My llama-wife (Julia) and I are offended and appalled at your close-minded views of our relationship.

DMKA
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I just hope there's no more inter-species sex. The sexual tension between Brain, a dog, and Stewie, a baby, weirds me the fuck out. All of the animals talk in The Flintstones :stare:

Except Dino.

I'm sure Seth will have to change that though, and Dino will become Brian.

fire_of_avalon
05-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Yabba-dabba-douche!
/thread.

Rostum
05-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Meh, anything Hanna-Barbera came out with were terribly cheap and crappy cartoons. The Flinstones being no exception.

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2011, 03:14 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc1NzY5ODUyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI0MDYxNQ@@._V1._SX640_SY360_.jpg

Yeah, Scooby-Doo and its carbon copies aren't too different than what McFarlane has going on xD

So pulling the Flintstones into that, well, it can't be too bad.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-19-2011, 03:20 AM
Okay, I must admit something. I just watched an American Dad episode with a little segment of the husband and wife free running. I must admit it made me laugh out loud. In fact the whole episode has been funnier than anything I would have expected.

Maybe I'm going brain dead. Well, MORE brain dead.

Shattered Dreamer
05-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Except Dino.

I'm sure Seth will have to change that though, and Dino will become Brian.

Oh god I hope you're wrong :/