PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides

blackmage_nuke
05-20-2011, 05:11 AM
I feel the latest Pirates movie was ok, not great, not horrible. The pacing was very off putting with 3 action sequences at the begining followed by a bit of a lull. The last minute or so also felt extremely preachy, when they were summarising the morale of the story for us. The only thing I really liked was that there was a lot more of Mr Gibbs. Overall though I thought 3 was enough Pirates movies.

What are your opinions?

I Took the Red Pill
05-20-2011, 05:16 AM
my opinion is that people shouldn't go 'cause maybe then they'll get the hint and stop making these god-forsaken movies.

no offense meant to anyone who genuinely enjoys them, it just irks me.

rubah
05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
wait, they made a new one?

Shattered Dreamer
05-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I have to admit these movies are a bit of a guilty for me. My youngest sister is 10 & my 2 nephews are 7 & 4 so I just kind of got roped into watching the movies with them & strangely found myself really enjoying them.

I saw the trailer for the newest installment when I went to see Thor & to be honest, I can't wait to see it :bigsmile:

Chris
05-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I must admit that I like all three of them. :/

I'm going to see the new one later tonight, and it'll be a great night.

DMKA
05-20-2011, 03:04 PM
I saw the trailer for the newest installment when I went to see Thor & to be honest, I can't wait to see it :bigsmile:

Haha same here! I also saw the trailer during Thor, in 3D none the less!

my opinion is that people shouldn't go 'cause maybe then they'll get the hint and stop making these god-forsaken movies.

no offense meant to anyone who genuinely enjoys them, it just irks me.

I'm going to see it now, just to irk you.

Hollycat
05-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I like POTC, gonna go see it with mah free tickets

Shauna
05-20-2011, 05:00 PM
It was pretty enjoyable, as silly as you'd expect from the Pirates movies. :3

Shattered Dreamer
05-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Haha same here! I also saw the trailer during Thor, in 3D none the less!

Saw Thor in 3D too, not too pushed on this 3D nonsense but that's a topic for another thread :lol:

Dreddz
05-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thought this whole franchise was rubbish. Even the first film I can't stand. I like Johnny Depp, but he really isn't as funny at all in these movies. They should have stopped once they realised they were making a movie from a theme park ride and didn't have any competant writers to make up for it.

charliepanayi
05-20-2011, 08:37 PM
They were never going to stop with how insanely popular the franchise has been (Dead Man's Chest made over a billion dollars! And it didn't need 3D to manage that). I like the first one, but the sequels are real diminishing returns.

Chris
05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Just came back, and it was pretty much everything I expected it to be. It was fun, cheesy and adventurous! Ian McShane is one of my favorite actors, and he did not disappoint.

Jiro
05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Going to watch it tomorrow. I have a man crush on Orlando so the lack of him is going to be interesting.

DMKA
05-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Saw it last night. It was pretty great. I actually liked it way better than Dead Man's Chest or At World's End. It was goofy fun that, while dramatic at times, didn't take itself too seriously, just like the first one. The lack of Orlando Bloom and whateverhernameis didn't bother me in the least. I thought it would.

I saw it in 3D and it was cool but hardly worth the extra bucks.

Hollycat
05-21-2011, 05:21 PM
went and saw it, thought it was the best one yet

Skyblade
05-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Saw it last night. It was pretty great. I actually liked it way better than Dead Man's Chest or At World's End. It was goofy fun that, while dramatic at times, didn't take itself too seriously, just like the first one. The lack of Orlando Bloom and whateverhernameis didn't bother me in the least. I thought it would.

Pretty much the same reaction for me, except I was not expecting the lack of Orlando Bloom to be a problem.

The fun of these has always been the goofiness and over-the-top adventures, and this one has plenty of that. The last two took themselves too seriously, this one did not. It was definitely worth watching.

Ouch!
05-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thought this whole franchise was rubbish. Even the first film I can't stand. I like Johnny Depp, but he really isn't as funny at all in these movies. They should have stopped once they realised they were making a movie from a theme park ride and didn't have any competant writers to make up for it.
Johnny Depp was great in the first movie simply because he did something completely unexpected with Captain Jack Sparrow. The second and third movies, by comparison, fell flat because the scripts were written with that characterization in mind. A majority of the latter two were build ups to punchlines written for Johnny Depp, whereas that was not the case in the first movie. The comedic pacing was entirely different. At least the third movie had a wonderful performance by Geoffrey Rush.

I was cautiously optimistic for the fourth movie; it dumped the dead weight of Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom (pretty enough people, but dismal actors) and replaced them with Ian McShane and Penelope Cruz. The reviews have been less than spectacular. I'll probably pull rank as an alum and crash the free showing on campus next year, because I've got enough to be paying for right now without gambling on this movie.

Del Murder
05-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I may have to see this just to check out Penelope Cruz in a pirate outfit.

Jiro
05-23-2011, 04:32 AM
She has a beard at one point, that ought to be right up your alley ;)

BG-57
05-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Liked it better than 2 and 3. Will and Elizabeth had little chemistry so I didn't miss them. I saw a lot of the plot twists coming before they happened. As a hokey as the business with Phillip and Syrena was I really liked them. An enjoyable time at the movies.

CimminyCricket
05-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Honestly, I feel like these movies could be the next Saw where they just put out movie after movie after movie after movie. :\

Jessweeee♪
05-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Saw it a couple of days ago. Wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't bad for a beating a dead horse sequel.

Mirage
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I liked the three first pirates movies. I don't think the 4th was worth the 9 dollars I paid to watch it.

Goldenboko
06-03-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm usually one to immediately call up a franchise for beating a dead horse, but I honestly enjoyed this movie and don't see the problem with them continuing to milk the good-ness that is pirates.

remanjot
06-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I have watched Pirates of Caribbean last weekend online. It is in 3D now. Awesome movie and I liked this movie.