PDA

View Full Version : IV PSP worth it?

_IV
05-21-2011, 09:22 AM
I want to buy this for my PSP but I don't know if it is worth the money. Is it a remake or an "updated" port of the original? It's not expensive considering what you get, but I would like to know if it is an updated version like Tactics or if it is a ruined remake. :(

Any help would be great!

I Don't Need A Name
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I haven't played it yet, but I own it. As far as I know, it's an updated port, where they've just updated the sprites a little and made the soundtrack sound a little better. And there is The After Years and another scenario to play, so it's worth it for the extra content.

Blue Harvest
05-23-2011, 06:36 PM
The After Years totally makes it worth it, though FFIV itself is just a prettier copy of the GBA port (same script, character switching etc.)

Hollycat
05-23-2011, 06:52 PM
it is, but only if you intend to do EVERYTHING

Yeargdribble
05-24-2011, 07:51 AM
It's the GBA version, minus some bugs, with a significant aesthetic overhaul. It has the option for the DS music.

It has the Interlude, which is all new. It also has The After Years complete without the piecemeal Wiiware BS.

I'd say it's definitely worth it. I got it recently. It's 5th time I've bought the game and while I'd seen screenshots that showed how pretty it was, I was really amazed at quite how gorgeous it was once I started playing.

I'd say it's way more like the Tactics update than a ruined remake. It's got the best translation to date and some options like auto-battle are fantastic for speeding up grindy sections of the game. Oh, and did I mention how pretty it is?

Roogle
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
If you have never played Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, then I recommend purchasing Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection.

black orb
05-29-2011, 01:23 AM
>>> I started to play it today, and its worth every cent..:luca:

Roogle
05-31-2011, 09:22 PM

Have you played Final Fantasy IV: The After Years yet? What do you think of Luca's new sprite? I noticed that they modified its proportions to show off her dwarven stature.

Bastian
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
I just finished the Interlude last night... and... I still have no idea what was going on. Maybe I need to replay The After Years again to get it... but I suspect it was just a bunch of BS that they threw together to justify this release. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but after it ended I was left feeling... ugh... could have been better.

I'm playing the IV part right now.

I would say it is worth it, especially if you've never played The After Years. Even if you did play The After Years, the improved graphics are really very nice and it's not all that spendy. However, I would have rather spent an additional $20 for a complete remake with the CG models in the trailer or something. ;)

black orb
06-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Have you played Final Fantasy IV: The After Years yet? What do you think of Luca's new sprite? I noticed that they modified its proportions to show off her dwarven stature.
>>> Yeah, I knew about her new design when the game was relesed for the Wii.. Well I dont like it, she is not cute anymore and they even made her fat..:luca:

Bastian
06-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Well, not to be racist, but look at her, she's a dwarf... dwarfs are notorious for being obese. And for being much more likely to get diabetes than the rest of the population. Must be all that fried chocobo they eat.

black orb
06-02-2011, 03:34 AM
>>> Which part of this :luca: sprite looks obese to you?..:luca:

VeloZer0
06-02-2011, 05:42 AM
I like how you felt it necessary to add a sprite into the middle of your post, and then again at the end.

Fynn
06-02-2011, 07:43 AM
They're not obese, they're just stout. Like real-life dwarves.

Bastian
06-02-2011, 08:53 PM
They're not obese, they're just stout. Like real-life dwarves.
Hm... based on a BMI index, I'm pretty sure they're considered obese. All of them. Fatties.

But, yeah, in the original sprite Luca didn't look obese. Since the old game, she's put on a few more lbs.

Roogle
06-02-2011, 11:08 PM
>>> Which part of this :luca: sprite looks obese to you?..:luca:

No, you are right. The character artwork for Luca in the original game is much different from the character artwork for Luca in the sequel. The difference between the older version of The After Years sprite and the newer version of The After Years sprite is that she has a more dwarven stature. She is much shorter than all of the other characters in the game and looks a little portly, too. My main concern is that someone can go from being pitch black to having brown skin. What were they trying to say? So, if I take King Giott's helmet and make him wear human clothes, he suddenly goes from having a pitch black face to simply have a normal, darker skin color?

black orb
06-03-2011, 12:19 AM
>>> Its no use thinking about it, we are talking about Squarenix here. They make all sorts of retarted things in their games lately and they dont have need to explain it to the fans..:luca:

Bastian
06-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I finally got to the Underground in the PSP version and was happy to see the black-mages-esque style. Yet... I don't understand how she goes from that to brown skin by TAY. Ah well. I wonder... was Squeenix just trying to imply black skin all along? Like... they were so dark skinned that all you could see were their eyes because of limited color palette on the SNES or something?

Which I guess would make sense being all that hot magma probably darkens the skin to pitch black.

Roogle
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Which I guess would make sense being all that hot magma probably darkens the skin to pitch black.

But it doesn't darken the skin to pitch black. Luca says that she does not like dwarven fashion, so the implication to me is that all the dwarves are just shorter, darker skinned people who will look like Luca if they put on human clothes. At one point, Zangetsu wears dwarven clothes and has a blackened face, too.

Elpizo
06-04-2011, 10:51 AM
And this is why a sequel twenty years after the original game was released is not a good idea.

black orb
06-07-2011, 11:23 PM
>>> It was a good idea, they just messed up princess Luca..:luca:

Mikain
07-19-2011, 04:49 AM
The original FF IV is my all time favorite FF game, so to see it smoothed out so well and everything still like it was in IV is a godsend. As for Interlude, I haven't played much of it yet, so judgment is out on it right now. I've played and beaten After Years on Wii, and this port is MUCH better than the Wii one. Anyway, before I start ranting on how much better... the whole Luca argument is kinda silly considering that Square-Enix made the "new" sprite and color didn't matter to them. We have what we have, and that's it. I was confused and disappointed too... but Que Serra Serra.