PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil Revival

I Don't Need A Name
05-23-2011, 05:31 PM
So Famitsu has revealed that Capcom are producinng the Resident Evil Revival Selection for PS3 and X-Box 360. This will include HD Remakes of Code: Veronica and Resi 4.

What with the impending release of The Mercenaries 3D on 3DS and the announcment of Operation Raccoon City on PS3, X-Box 360 and Windows (A squad based 3rd Person Shooter where the player takes the role of the Umbrella Security Services in the times of Resident Evil 2 and 3) and Resident Evil Revalations on 3DS (set around the creation of the BSAA between Resi 4 and 5) it seems Capcom are kicking the series up a gear.

Loving the idea of the T-Virus returning in Operation Racoon City. I'm a little more dubious on the 3DS titles, but we'll see the outcome soon (hopefully)

Discuss.

Polnareff
05-23-2011, 10:12 PM
The 2 3DS titles, and RE4HD are the ones I want the most.

I wish Capcom would stop screwing around and remake 2 and 3 like they did the first game. They planned to do it but had a tight schedule so the GC versions of 2 and 3 were just ports again. :(

I was a huge RE buff for years but stopped playing them for a couple years until I got another copy of Deadly Silence (the DS version of RE1). RE1, 3, and 4 are my favorite ones. Not a fan of Code: Veronica, 5, or Gaiden. I'm one of the few who likes the Survivor games.

LunarWeaver
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I have played them all to death throughout my days, especially 4 and 5. I've played Separate Ways an embarrassing amount too, but I like Ada and her butterfly ways. I tried to replay Code: Veronica recently and honestly it was almost painful to wade through. I can't go backwards anymore, it seems.

I don't own a 3DS and never will, unless my brother finds a little girl's in the lost and found at work and steals it like he did with a Nintendo DS. I would love to play them, though. I'll dream a dream of Capcom whoring them out as downloadable games in the future. Probably not, but Resident Evil 4 was a "Gamecube exclusive" and look at how that continues to go.

I'll check out the squad-based shooter if reviews are good. Yeah, I'm gonna be that kind of douchebag that listens to Metacritic instead of me.

Jiro
05-24-2011, 03:14 AM
This is good news for me. I've always loved the concept but been too chicken :bou::bou::bou::bou: to play them, but now I'm a man and love me some ResiEvil

LunarWeaver
05-24-2011, 07:59 AM
You better not be enjoying 5 behind my back you asstralian.

Slothy
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Seems a little soon for a 4 remake if you as me, seeing as how it's never really had the chance to completely go away for a while what with a PS2 port, followed by Wii and PC ports as well. Not to mention wikipedia now informs me that there are mobile and iPad versions of it as well. I guess it's just time for that yearly RE4 release announcement. Can't say I'm excited since I hated it the first time around.

Code Veronica though is both welcome and troubling at the same time. It removed some abilities it shouldn't have from RE3 so even though I liked it a lot more for its atmosphere, I think it could have done with a bit of an update. That said, I don't have a lot of faith in Capcom to do it since I've hated every iteration of the series since RE4 came out.

Shauna
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Operation Raccoon City on PS3, X-Box 360 and Windows (A squad based 3rd Person Shooter where the player takes the role of the Umbrella Security Services in the times of Resident Evil 2 and 3)

More like Left 4 Dead amirite. :P

But, I am looking forward to every new installment in the RE series, I can't get enough of the ridiculously stupid everything about it. xP Fun times shall be had.

DMKA
05-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Seems a little soon for a 4 remake if you as me, seeing as how it's never really had the chance to completely go away for a while what with a PS2 port, followed by Wii and PC ports as well. Not to mention wikipedia now informs me that there are mobile and iPad versions of it as well. I guess it's just time for that yearly RE4 release announcement. Can't say I'm excited since I hated it the first time around.

Code Veronica though is both welcome and troubling at the same time. It removed some abilities it shouldn't have from RE3 so even though I liked it a lot more for its atmosphere, I think it could have done with a bit of an update. That said, I don't have a lot of faith in Capcom to do it since I've hated every iteration of the series since RE4 came out.

Seriously? I don't get it. I've been hooked on the franchise since the time Resident Evil 2 first came out on PlayStation, and have played them all, and RE4 and RE5 are my favorites.

Bizarre. I will never understand the sheer hatred people have for the latter entries, which happen to be the best. Do people really miss the awful camera angles and terrible controls that much?

Slothy
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Seriously? I don't get it. I've been hooked on the franchise since the time Resident Evil 2 first came out on PlayStation, and have played them all, and RE4 and RE5 are my favorites.

Bizarre. I will never understand the sheer hatred people have for the latter entries, which happen to be the best. Do people really miss the awful camera angles and terrible controls that much?

I've explained my hatred of RE4 in a number of threads before. Long story short, its at least twice as long as it should be, there isn't nearly enough enemy variety, the controls are the same old tank like ones they always were, aiming is complete :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and it completely destroys any atmosphere it could have had because it can't decide whether it wants to be an action game or a horror game.

As much as the controls and camera angles of the originals could suck some times they never made the mistake of trying to he an action game and auto aim still kept them payable. It also helped that they never overstated their welcome and even going slowly, you can beat most of them in under 5 hours.

Jiro
05-25-2011, 10:38 AM
You better not be enjoying 5 behind my back you asstralian.

Not yet :greenie:

I Don't Need A Name
05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I have to say, as much as I quite like Resi 4 and 5, I'm with Vivi22 here. The new ones destroyed everything that Resident Evil ever was. I enjoy them purely as games, not as part of the Resident Evil series. I'm curious at how they're gonna recreate Raccoon City, and if they're gonna try and make an atmosphere in that and C:V..

Dreddz
05-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Re-releasing RE4 again is questionable but Code Veronica is ok in my opinion. CV is often overlooked despite the fact that it is the proper sequel to RE2. Plus its the last appearance of Wesker before he became a freakshow.

I Don't Need A Name
05-25-2011, 11:30 AM
C:V's gameplay was a bit tedious, but I found the story pretty interesting and well put together. So hopefully they're improve the gameplay aspect of it and make it awesome!

nik0tine
05-25-2011, 02:37 PM
While it is true that the newer games are vastly superior in regards to gameplay I feel like they are drastically subpar when it comes to atmosphere and story. While RE4 was fun for what it was, the fact that they abandoned everything I loved about Resident Evil ensured that it would be the absolute last RE game I ever played. Although, I would be more than willing to play any game that was set in Raccoon City.

Re-releasing RE4 again is questionable but Code Veronica is ok in my opinion. CV is often overlooked despite the fact that it is the proper sequel to RE2. Plus its the last appearance of Wesker before he became a freakshow.In my opinion, Code Veronica was the game that ruined the series when it gave Wesker his ridiculous super powers. Everything went down hill at that point.

Polnareff
05-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Code: Veronica is just bogus. Why they're HD-ing that game is really odd to me. Why not do that to 2 and 3 first? Or hell, even the Survivor games. Lord knows they could remake them and put them on the Wii. With how Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles did, people seem more open to those types of games now.

To me, RE4 was a good game mostly because it changed the formula up and still kinda kept the creepy atmosphere (not "scary" because RE was never really scary; it just resorted to "haunted-house-like" quick scares, and not psychological scares like Silent Hill).

But the tank controls of 1-3 and Code Veronica were put into RE on purpose because if you were able to play the game with normal controls, it'd be way easier and less creepy than Capcom wanted it to be. So in that sense Capcom backed themselves into a corner when making RE4 since people usually think of tank controls and other such things when they think of Resident Evil.

The tank controls, the limited saves and ammo, the tendency to put zombies in unseen areas/enclosed spaces, all of this was done on purpose to add tension to the game, and is why it's called "survival" horror instead of just horror.

At the same time they had to change things up to keep it from getting stagnant. By the third game detractors were already calling the RE formula stale, even though there were quite a few changes from game to game. Especially 3, since 3 added the ammo creation system, 180 degree turn button, and a dodge move, none of which were in previous games (but which made it into RE4 later).

RE4 went through about 5 builds, some of them were scrapped for similarities to other games (like Silent Hill and Eternal Darkness) and the very first build was turned into Devil May Cry 1. On the same note, DMC also got a few gameplay mechanics from bugs in other games Capcom was testing, like Onimusha.

5 was a terrible game to me. Even though I thought Chris "Roidfield" was kinda cool (though a bit out of character) and that Sheva and Josh were great additions, not to mention Wesker's return, the gameplay became pure run-and-gun and felt more and even looked more like a Gears of War game than an RE game. The setting was awesome but not fitting for an RE game. I mean c'mon, Africa in broad daylight? Even 4 had its share of nighttime locales and not only that, some of the Ganados were quite menacing (especially the ones that chanted disturbing phrases in Spanish; I'm surprised Capcom was able to only get a Mature rating with this game >_>)

Seems a little soon for a 4 remake if you as me, seeing as how it's never really had the chance to completely go away for a while what with a PS2 port, followed by Wii and PC ports as well.

At least they're actually remastering it now and not just porting it and just slightly upping the graphics on it like they did with RE2 and 3. Seriously, 2 and 3 got ported quite a few times within like 4 years and on top of that the GC versions were basically ports of earlier versions of the games (when GC also got a full-fledged RE1 remake).

One RE game I hope they never remake is Gaiden (no chance of that happening though). If you guys think games like 5, Code Veronica, and Survivor are bad, you haven't played Gaiden yet. Here's a hint as to how bad it is: it was made by the same company who made the handheld Mary-Kate and Ashley games. The one good thing about it was that Barry returned in it.