PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how it is at my house...

Jentleness
05-24-2011, 06:04 AM
The following comic strip is a representation of what dealing with my son is like...

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m599/Jennifer_McKinty/Zits.png

Shlup
05-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Zits is one of my favorite comic strips.

Jiro
05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh is Mr Jen actually sort of doing his job now? ;)

Jentleness
05-24-2011, 05:21 PM
If you were to ask "Mr. Jen" about it he'd say he has always backed me up...however, the point of the comic strip is more that the kid listened to the father when all he basically said was, "Do what your mother told you to do." Why can't the idiot er boy, just do it when I ask him? I mean its not like I am screaming at him in the beginning, I usually start out rather civil, but when I get to the point (like in the first frame) that I am pulling my hair out its because he is stubbornly refusing to do what I ask. Then his father comes along and says, "What did your mother say?" and it's "Alright" and he starts doing it...half-assedly of course. Anyway, I get it, it's not funny if you don't see yourself in the characters shoes! Oh well, I'll try harder to connect with you all next time! :hello:

Peegee
05-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Maybe I can give insight or maybe my insight is irrelevant:

My mother used to nag (well she still does but) - and I do not like to be nagged. I do what I like because somebody told me that I was a self-controlled autonomous individual. Even if mom said explicitly "i gave birth to you so you would listen to me" I would rebel and not listen.

Also the only thing mom ever says to me is don't do this. and don't do that. i work during the day and relax by playing video games at night. sometimes i watch movies and learn on youtube but my brain can only absorb so much 'productive' activity before it cries.

Here is where the disconnect happens - mom's dad died when she was 17 so she has worked very hard to get to where she is. Yet I don't actively 'recognize' this and instead I virtue-lize dad because he gave up being a god (ex olympian high ranking officer at the sport he spent most of his life perfecting) just to have grumpy selfish spoiled worthless me.

I see mom as an equal. I see dad as a god. So when god speaks I listen.

Hope this helps.

Jentleness
05-24-2011, 05:38 PM

My mother used to nag (well she still does but) - and I do not like to be nagged. I do what I like because somebody told me that I was a self-controlled autonomous individual. Even if mom said explicitly "i gave birth to you so you would listen to me" I would rebel and not listen.

Also the only thing mom ever says to me is don't do this. and don't do that. i work during the day and relax by playing video games at night. sometimes i watch movies and learn on youtube but my brain can only absorb so much 'productive' activity before it cries.

Here is where the disconnect happens - mom's dad died when she was 17 so she has worked very hard to get to where she is. Yet I don't actively 'recognize' this and instead I virtue-lize dad because he gave up being a god (ex olympian high ranking officer at the sport he spent most of his life perfecting) just to have grumpy selfish spoiled worthless me.

Hope this helps.

Not sure what you are saying, although I've raised him for over 16 years I didn't bring him into this world (I inherited him as part of the marriage deal when he was 2 1/2). I believe this is where his stubborness wells up from, since I am not his "real" mother (which is crap, because I have done and will continue to do all that I can for him, even if he drives me up the smurfing wall)! However, it wasn't supposed to be über serious, or I would have posted it in EOEO. I just busted up laughing when I saw the comic strip because I was all, "too true"!. Like I said, I will try harder to connect with you all next time! :hello:

sharkythesharkdogg
05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Jen! Update your guess on the word game on in the Welcome Section. It was starting to get close between you, Remon, and me. Then you disappeared. Unacceptable!!1!!!!1111!!

Also, he's a 16 year old boy. Douche-baggery and poor hygiene is all he knows. It comes with the hormones I think. Have fun with all that. :jess:

Crop
05-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Haha. I hate to admit it, but that's pretty much what I was like with my Mum as I was growing up!
Whenever she wanted me to do something I didn't want to do, I'd make a big fuss about it but if she just went to my Dad and got him to I'd do it straight away. I dunno if maybe it's because he's a big cockney guy, or because he's the man of the house but it worked every time. Don't think she minded though, he was like her secret weapon.

Now I do everything mother says of course!

Peegee
05-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Hope this helps.

Not sure what you are saying, although I've raised him for over 16 years I didn't bring him into this world (I inherited him as part of the marriage deal when he was 2 1/2). I believe this is where his stubborness wells up from, since I am not his "real" mother (which is crap, because I have done and will continue to do all that I can for him, even if he drives me up the smurfing wall)! However, it wasn't supposed to be über serious, or I would have posted it in EOEO. I just busted up laughing when I saw the comic strip because I was all, "too true"!. Like I said, I will try harder to connect with you all next time! :hello:

oh right it's GC

just beat the living ever hell out of him :)

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I think it was like that for me growing up, but it wasn't exclusive to any one of my parents. I think I'd just get fed up with being told/asked to do something and do it eventually after the other parent brought it up. :p

Peegee
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I think it was like that for me growing up, but it wasn't exclusive to any one of my parents. I think I'd just get fed up with being told/asked to do something and do it eventually after the other parent brought it up. :p

i will admit there's an upper limit of nagging where i'll just listen, but nagging != respect

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Of course they're different. I respect my parents, I was just lazy growing up.

Shlup
05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
It's because you haven't shown him the consequences of not listening to you. I can hook you up with a good deal on a stun gun if you want.

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I fear for your future children, Amanda.

Shlup
05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
TEENAGERS MUST BE TAMED. FOR THE GOOD OF EVERYONE AND AT ALL COSTS.

NorthernChaosGod
05-24-2011, 10:00 PM
You were a teenager, long ago. :colbert:

Madame Adequate
05-24-2011, 11:04 PM

Yes, back in the Noachian era.

Jentleness
05-25-2011, 03:35 AM
It's because you haven't shown him the consequences of not listening to you. I can hook you up with a good deal on a stun gun if you want.

Can I order it online? I have my credit card ready to go! :D

blackmage_nuke
05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
My mum says a lot of things, some of it's important but its hidden in mountains of unimportant stuff, and if it's important enough my dad will say it too, so i use to just listen to him instead of filtering it out myself

Peegee
05-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Yes, back in the Noachian era.

Way to be esoteric you jerk.

Evolutionary history of Mars – University of Copenhagen (http://www.nbi.ku.dk/forskningsgrupper/mars/english/mars/evolution/)

Shlup
05-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I don't see what point you are trying to make here.

Can I order it online? I have my credit card ready to go! :D
I will hand-deliver it to you so that I can show you the easiest ways to subdue these beasts.

Jentleness
05-26-2011, 02:22 AM
You're my hero ShlupQuack :love: :hello:

Peegee
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
You're my hero ShlupQuack :love: :hello:

you are both from california. how are you not bffs already?

NorthernChaosGod
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Better question: Why haven't we hung out? :(

Jentleness
05-27-2011, 05:38 AM
It's because I'm in northern California, near Sacramento (I'm stuck in Lodi). :-/ However, I will make a point of making a post to inform you and ShlupQuack that I will be in the area, if I'm ever down that way. :D

NorthernChaosGod
05-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Yay! :D

Peegee
05-27-2011, 06:41 PM

>implying you even visit shlup, even though you're next door neighbours

that's right. I said neighbours. get confused at my british spelling!

Jentleness
05-27-2011, 06:44 PM

I am only confused why you would believe confusion would abound if you chose to spell neighbors and neighbours...? :-/

NorthernChaosGod
05-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Amanda doesn't like me. :(

Iceglow
05-28-2011, 12:33 AM
I think it's just the usual as a teenage (or older) guy you want to feel more independent and this typically in suburban families rears it's head as a rebellious streak against the mother (who is face it, more likely to fuss over their child than a dad) this rebellious streak can manifest itself in many different ways but most common and least harmful would be the "tell me not to do something and I'll do it to prove I can, ask me to do something and I'll ignore it as long as I can just because." In the a-typical nuclear family image (i.e. 2 parents and child(ren) that is, as opposed to the single parent family) the parent most often left to discipline the children is the Dad, Mom's get to play the good cop. Dad's generally have to be the bad cop. Therefore in the teenage rebellious phase when the Mother asks for things to be done she can safely be ignored for she is good cop. If the father then says something along the lines of "What did your mother just ask you to do?" it's kinda like the bad cop threatening to get involved. Since this is counteracting the freedom of the child the child generally speaking will do what is then asked of them but will not take any pride or place any real effort in to the job.

In single parent families it gets a little more complicated...the parent tends to have to be both good and bad cop and it makes them look like a schizophrenic. I think my Mom (I am from a single parent family) merely found it easier in the end to leave me to get on with it. I made mistakes and I have learnt harsh lessons. Lessons I am sure I would never have been free to make the required mistakes to learn if my Dad had still been alive. She tried to be bad cop with me but that just meant I ended up ignoring her completely. In hindsight I don't wish that I had listened to her more prior to entering adult life. I do however wish I had listened to my 15 year older, elder brother more because he actually talked sense to me 95% of the time, the 5% of the times he didn't were :bou::bou::bou::bou: like when he convinced me that Santa was a martian and that the song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (of the same name) was actually sung :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty Bang Bang. Needless to say, my teachers in school hated my brother which made him immortally cool in my eyes as a young child.

But yeah you kinda have yourself, and your husband to blame for raising the kids in the stereotypical nuclear family style... Of course there are some instances where the Dad is in your position and the mom holds the reigns of power. I guess it just depends on which one is good cop and which one is bad as a child.

Shlup
05-29-2011, 12:10 AM

I don't like anyone.

I know where Necro and Monda and Kishi's apartment is; swing by and pick me up and let's go egg them.

Peegee
05-29-2011, 12:17 AM

she dislikes candians and whatever the hell you are <3

Carl the Llama
05-29-2011, 12:26 AM
<TABLE border="4"bordercolor="white"bgcolor="blue"cellpadding="4"><TR><TD bordercolor="blue">

I remember once Shlup said something that wasn't derogatory about me:

As it stands, it seems to me that you are capable of sparring with him without being obnoxious yourself, so it's all good from my perspective.

She called me not obnoxious!!!!</table>

NorthernChaosGod
05-29-2011, 09:51 AM

I don't like anyone.

I know where Necro and Monda and Kishi's apartment is; swing by and pick me up and let's go egg them.

You said that I was cute. Or something like that.

Also, okay.

Laddy
05-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Amanda says I'm her totally fab son and that I can get whatever I ask for.

I actually listen to both of my parents. I'm a good kid.

Jentleness
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Amanda says I'm her totally fab son and that I can get whatever I ask for.

I actually listen to both of my parents. I'm a good kid.

I don't think anybody realizes how absolutely dreary it is to always have to fight with a kid to do the simplest of tasks. You would think I asked him to do some herculean feat! In reality I asked him to load the dish washer! :-/

NorthernChaosGod
05-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I hate when people complain about washing dishes when all they have to do is load the dishwasher. When I was a kid we never had a dishwasher and I had to stand there washing all of them by hand. :|

Laddy
05-29-2011, 11:57 PM
And you had to do it real quick before the dinosaurs ate you!

Old Manus
05-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Hit your child, then strike him a second time to prove that you're right!

:(

NorthernChaosGod
05-30-2011, 12:49 AM

I'm not old! We were poor.

Jerk.

Crop
05-30-2011, 02:34 AM
I hate when people complain about washing dishes when all they have to do is load the dishwasher. When I was a kid we never had a dishwasher and I had to stand there washing all of them by hand. :|

I still have to do that. We don't have one of these fancy "dishwashers".

Hollycat
05-30-2011, 03:09 AM
the reason this happens is because the son knows he is physically stronger than you but still fears the father.
Also, I didnt know you had a son.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-30-2011, 04:18 AM

Jerk.

You are old. Being around before they invented currency doesn't make you poor, it makes you old. Just sayin'

NorthernChaosGod
05-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Jerk.

You are old. Being around before they invented currency doesn't make you poor, it makes you old. Just sayin'

:colbert:

Peegee
05-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Jerk.

wanna see my floppy penes?

NorthernChaosGod
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
I hate you, PG.

CimminyCricket
05-31-2011, 09:28 AM
For me I always saw my mother as an obnoxious child and my dad the over worked dad that had to put up with both of us (and then my brother when he was born). When he said something, it was respect that got me to do it. When my mom said something it was like having to listen to that ass kissing kid in math class, so I didn't want to do whatever it was she said.