PDA

View Full Version : Remakes!

Fynn
05-25-2011, 06:11 AM
The question now, what with FFI, II and IV's rereleases on so many different platforms, how would you like your Final Fantasy V and VI remakes? Should they make a complete graphical overhaul, like IV got on the DS, but on the 3DS? Or should they stick to HD 2D, like the other games that got released on the GBA before the PSP? Discuss!

I would personally want a full-fledged 3D remake on the 3DS with overhauled graphics, voice acting and an improved battle system. FFIV on the DS was the ultimate version, to me, with the perfect translation and all. The thought bubbles added a lot of depth. The DS version actually let me take the game's story seriously, because otherwise some sprite-based scenes seemed ridiculous.

Remon
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
A remake from scratch, with added voice acting, etc., like FFIV DS.
Because playing the original one with upgraded graphics is too boring, as you will play through the same thing. Graphics have never really mattered much to me anyway.

I Don't Need A Name
05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I would say a 3D remake etc if it wasn't for 2 factors:
FFIV looked horrible on the DS. Their graphics capabilities are terrible. And I don't own, nor will I own, a 3DS, and I'd wanna play them :jess:

VeloZer0
05-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I thought FF3 and FF4 on the DS were outstanding. I would really like to see FF5 get re-made. The last time I tried playing it the game felt really clunky and slow (menu response time, etc..) and I think a remake would do it much good.

However I think things were much improved by the time we get to FF6. I think there is a lot more to mess up with this title and am reticent for SE to try.

So: Remake FF5, don't touch FF6.

Hollycat
05-25-2011, 03:41 PM
neither, I dont want more chibi people

Polnareff
05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd like a graphical overhaul. The chibiness wouldn't bother me because they were like that in the original game anyway.

nik0tine
05-26-2011, 12:03 AM
The FF series has had so many 2D remakes already that it is kind of getting ridiculous. Why on earth would I buy a 2D remake of any FF game when I know all they will add is an extra dungeon at the end of the game? I'll just emulate them and refrain from wasting my money. A fully fledged remake is the only way I could be enticed into buying these games again.

Fynn
05-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Well, I guess a 2D PSP remake would be justifiable if they bundled them together, like they bundled FFIV and After Years recently.

Mercen-X
05-28-2011, 09:14 PM
If Square has any loyalty to its fanbase, it'll release a remake on the PSP. At least we can be relatively sure that Sony isn't going to release an Uber-PSP anytime soon but Nintendo will release 4DS two months after you own your 3DS because Nintendo are a bunch of soul-sucking black holes.

Del Murder
05-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Did Nintendo kill your father or something?

I prefer the 3D remakes of these games with added features like voices. Otherwise, what's the point of remaking it? If they're just going to port the old version then I'll play the old version.

Hollycat
05-29-2011, 08:37 PM
If Square has any loyalty to its fanbase, it'll release a remake on the PSP. At least we can be relatively sure that Sony isn't going to release an Uber-PSP anytime soon but Nintendo will release 4DS two months after you own your 3DS because Nintendo are a bunch of soul-sucking black holes.

its called the NGP, and its coming out very soon.

you are so right about nintendo.
here you go, one nintendo ds
yay I got a ds
now we have the better and cooler looking ds lite
_me gusta....
oops, now we have an even better ds xl
.... ok then
DSI!
yay!
DSI XL!
what.... ok.
(the next day)
3DS!
Yay I bought one, what!??!? all these games suck...
(5 minutes after you buy a 3DS) 3DS XL
wtf Imma go buy a psp
(soon to be announced) DS Z (with motion sensors and projector and crap)
too late, I got PSP

meanwhile:

PSP
yay
update for all psp's, and if you havent bought a psp, here at the same price is a psp 2000 that is slimmer and stronger, but does the same things so you dont need to buy it if you have a psp
yay
repeat step 2
yay
psp go! dont bother buying one because we are only making them for a few months
.... ok
NGP (aka ps3 portable)
YAYAYYAYYAYAYAYAY!

Fynn
05-29-2011, 09:07 PM
In Nintendo's defense, the differences betwen the DSes are not that apparent. The DS Lite is just lighter and slicker, while DSi just adds a camera and SD cards - not something you'll actually need in most games. The DSi XL is the DSi but just bigger. The 3DS is the equivalent of the NGP. While the differences between the DSes are no different than the PSP 2000, 3000, Go, etc.

Hollycat
05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
except you can play all psp games on all psps whereas with the ds...

Wolf Kanno
05-30-2011, 04:14 AM
You can play all DS games... You lose the ability to play GBA , but if your a savvy shopper who doesn't need to buy every new shiny thing that comes out then you know better. I have a DS Lite and never felt compelled to get the later installments cause having the DS play double duty as a GBA is more important to me.

Anyway... I've come to the revelation that SE will never make the type of remake I wanted and it also occurred to me that said "ideal remake" may actually not be what I wanted. It would be interesting to see a remake of V and VI but I don't really feel like 3D models or VA work would really do anything for the titles, especially if they are just straight graphic ports.

Its not like either title is bad graphically and really, I feel the graphical designs have enough atmosphere that a small handheld port would never do to change things. Of anything, I'm worried it would be like Crisis Core whose glossy shiny designs really turned me off and kinda made me not care for some locations as well cause they didn't translate as well.

I also would hate a slight graphic 2D remakes cause I really can't stand the way sprites and magic spells effects look in the PSP remakes of I, II, and IV. So definetly a no there.

At this point in time, I really don't feel any of the remaining FFs really need remakes.

Jessweeee♪
06-02-2011, 07:41 AM
On one hand, I think it would be neat to see an older game like FFVI given the current-gen treatment, on the other hand, it wouldn't really be FFVI anymore. Almost the entire script would have to be changed, because otherwise FFVI with voice acting would be awful. It's charmingly silly in text, but some lines would be so derp out loud. Also I notice that characters similar to Terra and Locke are very poorly received when in newer titles.

Del Murder
06-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Who are they similar to?

ljkkjlcm9
06-06-2011, 11:12 PM

its called the NGP, and its coming out very soon.

you are so right about nintendo.
here you go, one nintendo ds
yay I got a ds
now we have the better and cooler looking ds lite
_me gusta....
oops, now we have an even better ds xl
.... ok then
DSI!
yay!
DSI XL!
what.... ok.
(the next day)
3DS!
Yay I bought one, what!??!? all these games suck...
(5 minutes after you buy a 3DS) 3DS XL
wtf Imma go buy a psp
(soon to be announced) DS Z (with motion sensors and projector and crap)
too late, I got PSP

meanwhile:

PSP
yay
update for all psp's, and if you havent bought a psp, here at the same price is a psp 2000 that is slimmer and stronger, but does the same things so you dont need to buy it if you have a psp
yay
repeat step 2
yay
psp go! dont bother buying one because we are only making them for a few months
.... ok
NGP (aka ps3 portable)
YAYAYYAYYAYAYAYAY!
I know this thread isn't about Nintendo versus Sony, but I just want to say
The DS was out in 2004, DS lite in 2006, DSi in 2008, DSi XL in 2010. And now the 3DS in 2011.
The PSP was out in 2005, the 2000 in 2007, the 3000 in 2008, the Go in 2009. The Vita will be in 2011.

So in fact, Sony had the same number of iterations in less years than Nintendo had, less spread out. And no one forced anyone to buy the next iteration of the Nintendo portable any more than the Sony one. So stop being a fanboy and get your facts straight. Nintendo has always consistently updated their portable systems, and they have survived the portable market because of it. Unlike the console market, upgrading portables more often makes sense. If Sega had updated the Game Gear sooner to require less batteries or what not, they probably would have lasted longer. Sony saw that's how Nintendo survived portable gaming, and they have done the exact same thing. So, as they say, don't hate the player, hate the game... especially when both players do it.

On topic, I don't really see any need for remakes these days. I mean sure, it could be nice, and I would probably buy it, but I don't find them necessary. And if it were a remake of either game, I wouldn't want either option listed!

THE JACKEL

Bolivar
06-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Personally I would prefer a PSN & XBLA BIG 2d remake, something similar but even bigger than what they just did with Tactics Ogre. Format everything for 1080p, re-do the artwork, give the artists thousands of shiny new colors to mess with you, have Uematsu do a new arrangement of the score, bring the translations into more like their originals like FFIV Complete and Tactics Ogre.

I don't think a full blown, AAA retail game 3d remake is possible for Square right now, and yeah the ports are getting old. Do something real special like they deserve.

LikeaLion
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
I would definitely get remakes of FFV and FFVI. I have the PSX FF Anthology.

Somewhat off-topic. But, I would love to see a HD collection of FFX-Int'l and FFX-2-Int'l+LM. Two games for one priced collection that is...

Just like how Kojima & Konami are doing HD collections for: MGS series, ZOE series, and SH series. Not to mention; they are also giving that treatment to the superb MGS Peace Walker.

Btw, I love the Tactics Ogre remake; as well as FFT:WotL.

magemasher
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Definately a remake from scratch. I've tried playing ff1 to 6 when they were re-released in UK around 2002-2003 ish but I couldn't get on with the graphics. I would be very interested in ff1 -6 remade with ff13 graphics, probably easier said than done.