PDA

View Full Version : Conventions

Laddy
05-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Do you go to any conventions?

I've gone to Middle Tennessee Anime Convention (MTAC) at Nashville the last two years, and I'm headed to AnimeBlues in Memphis in July! (Which you should ttly go to!)

What conventions have you gone to?

Shaibana
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
i never really go to conventions :o

NorthernChaosGod
05-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I've gone to Comic Con four times now I think. That's always fun. :monster:

Shlup
05-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I went to San Diego Comic Con in 2008; it was pretty cool. E3 2002 was amazing though.

Other than that, a couple of bridal conventions, which were lame. Gonna go to a gun convention next weekend.

blackmage_nuke
05-29-2011, 10:27 PM
I usually only go to conventions when I work a table for the anime club at my uni since they pay for my entrance, There's one coming up soon but I cant go because of exams -_-

NorthernChaosGod
05-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I went to San Diego Comic Con in 2008; it was pretty cool. E3 2002 was amazing though.

I was there. We could have hung out. :(

Yar
05-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't go to cons. I am however in the Japanese program at my school, so a lot my friends are otaku nerdsmurfs that go to anime cons.

They tried to convince me to go to one, promising that there would be "lots of alcohol and lots of sex." I like alcohol and I like sex, but they are forgetting the kind of people that would be there having the alcohol and sex: Other sexually frustrated nerds with bad hygiene and socially awkward habits. :|

I'm sure they were exaggerating on that detail anyway, just to get me to go. If I want alcohol and sex, I'll go to a bar.

Shlup
05-29-2011, 11:56 PM

I was there. We could have hung out. :(

Well let me just go back in time and fix that real quick.

Bunny
05-30-2011, 12:54 AM
I've been to a few gun conventions, mostly out of boredom.

I kinda want to go to PAX.

Rye
05-30-2011, 01:58 AM
I've been to and have sold in the Artist Alley of Anime Boston 2011. I've also attended NYAF/Comic Con 2010.

Jessweeee♪
05-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Just a local anime convention in my hometown. It's big enough that it doesn't suck, but small enough that people who regularly attend large ones lik eA-KON bitch and moan about it. It was banned from the two nicest hotels in the city because the people running it thought it would be awesome to hold a Katamari contest where you made your Katamari from trash. A fun way to solve the trash problem, right? Well what happened was people just brought in outside trash to give them a better chance of winning, and not all of it stuck to their Katamari. The hotel was totally trashed and the owners were pretty mad. Everybody got disqualified from the contest, there was no winner! Then it happened again in another hotel, and after that no more Katamari contests. For me the highlight of the convention is Lisa Furukawa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lagyn-hZ-ms). I love her music!

I don't know if I'm going again though. Cons are so expensive.

Jiro
05-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Never been to a convention before :(

Shiny
05-30-2011, 06:53 AM
I went to a horror convention and that was interesting. It was in an abandoned theatre, but it was done up very nicely -- very ritzy and 1920s-ish. The ceiling was like a beautiful orchestral theatre. Cool as hell. I also went to NYAF/Comic Con last year and that was my last time going unless someone is there I really wanna see. There were just way too many...

http://nerdarama.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/ogre.jpg

I wanna go to the big kahuna, San Diego Comic Con just to attend one or two of the Q&A's for the films coming out.

Of course, I also like most video game players, wanna go to E3, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, or at all for that matter.

Peegee
05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
^ this

I can't stand the people who go to conventions. I used to go, but when I grew up, I found them annoying to go to.

Even the girls there give off an weird vibe. :(

So I'll only go if it's free and only for a day. I don't ever buy anything there bc everything is online, and the comics I do want are NOT AVAILABLE THERE ANYWAY

such a waste of money to me :(

Jessweeee♪
05-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Urgh, yeah, the people. Especially anime cons. Last time I went to one there were these few guys shouting BUTT-SCRATCHEEER like that scene in Family Guy were Peter is selling back scratchers at a baseball game. All. Day. ALL DAY. It was at a small Holiday Inn, so you can't really avoid anybody >:I

NorthernChaosGod
05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Man, Comic Con always smells like ass. I bet most of those people never shower. :colbert:

fire_of_avalon
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I've been to Animazement in Durham twice. It was okay. Some dude tried to dance up on me at their rave thing. I don't know rave stuff so I ran away.

Bunny
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Man, Comic Con always smells like ass. I bet most of those people never shower. :colbert:

Alternatively, getting thousands of people into a relatively small space in San Diego weather.

Hmmmmm.

Jessweeee♪
05-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I've been to Animazement in Durham twice. It was okay. Some dude tried to dance up on me at their rave thing. I don't know rave stuff so I ran away.

The raves always bum me out. I go to them because techno sounds great with a big event sound system (and that's really the only time techno sounds great) but I don't do rave stuff so people are always bugging me WHY DON'T YOU DANCE WHY AREN'T YOU DANCING WHY ARE YOU SO SAAAAD and I'm not sad I'm totally happy listening to some enjoyable music and having a good time but they go and make me feel like I'm bringing the whole place down so I leave >:I

Yar
05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
JUST DANCE WITH ME JESSDUBS

Polnareff
05-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Never gone to one. I wanted to go to Ohayocon this year to check out the game booths but didn't have the money. Found out that if I had gone and had money I could have gotten a Neo-Geo system, a couple games for it, and some more Japanese Sega Saturn stuff. I was pissed for weeks when my friend went there and came back with all this crap.

I think there may be another convention coming up but I'm not going to it unless I find out they have a game booth. I don't want to hear a bunch of Naruto and Inuyasha fangirls screaming the whole time I'm there. :|

NorthernChaosGod
05-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Alternatively, getting thousands of people into a relatively small space in San Diego weather.

Hmmmmm.
Concerts never smell like this; they typically just get hot and maybe smell like alcohol.

theundeadhero
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I went to a ren. fair last Summer and it kinda creeped me out.

Shorty
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I went to a steampunk con in Tucson earlier this year - it was amazingly badass. I wore a dress, but I wish I had dressed more appropriately with a handmade costume. It's a three day event with contests, dancing, fashion shows, vendors and musical performances. Sooo badass - I'm gonna go for all three days next year.

I went to a fear film con about a week and a half ago. Horror movies are shown in all of the theaters and people dress up as zombies, gargoyles, monsters, etc. Most of the movies were silly, but there were some premier films that were actually quite good (Eaters - Italian zombie film <3)

There was a comic con this last weekend but I wasn't able to go. I was going to meet Jayne Cobb. :(