PDA

View Full Version : Something new from something familiar.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-30-2011, 04:33 AM
So I've been road racing for around 10 years or so as one of my hobbies. It's a blast, the people I race with are all really good folks and it's just an enjoyable atmosphere. This weekend I crewed for my father and helped dial in one of the race cars we've had apart for about 6 years and recently put back on the track. The weekend went well, and the car performed even better than expected.

We decided this car would also perform well in a hillclimb event so here in about a month I'll be campaigning the car in my first hillclimb. I used to watch my dad run these events as a kid and I've never had a chance to try one. I'm excited to try something that will take some of the skills I've developed over the years and put them in a new different environment. (This is all assuming the car will be ready. I'm still working on some tweaks and adjustments.)

What are some new things you other board members have found from some of your other interests?

Psychotic
05-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Sounds awesome, man, let us know how it goes.

I don't really have much to contribute to the actual topic at hand. My newest interest is running, and I didn't pick that up from anywhere else. I just felt like it one day and here we are. :shobon:

sharkythesharkdogg
05-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Good for you! I used to run quite a bit about 15 years ago, but I lost alllllll that conditioning. :roll2
Now I run maybe 5 miles a week.

I started with track doing the 400m, 800m, mile, and 2 mile events. That expanded to cross country events (even one steeple chase........holy :bou::bou::bou::bou: that was tough).

That expanded into a few half marathons, and three tiny iron man competitions. NOT the full sized ones. I never quite got to that level, and those people are badasses.

Are you focusing on anything in particular? Long term goals? Distance, sprint, trails, etc?

Jiro
05-31-2011, 06:09 AM
Mullet is our resident iron dude, I'm just sticking to shorter stuff. Psy I'll race you man :shobon:

Psychotic
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
I have absolutely zero goals. I'm doing different things on different days. Some days I will do long distance, others I will do bursts of sprinting.

Also no, Jiro, I know of your running hax :colbert: We could give you a distance twice as long to do and you'd still beat me.

I Don't Need A Name
05-31-2011, 11:54 AM
I'll race you Psy ;D I have no running skills at all unless it's a 100m sprint. Otherwise I collapse from exhastion. I have no stamina (only when it comes to running, might I add).

fire_of_avalon
05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
I am not an interesting person and therefore I have no interests.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2011, 05:00 PM
You like Samus. Maybe you should make her exosuit thingy. That'd be pretty smurfing sweet.

Or you could specialize in napping in unusual places.

Bunny
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I am not an interesting person and therefore I have no interests.

We should hang out and be uninteresting together.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Well the hillclimb was the 12th and it didn't happen for me. :( The car was having computer issues I simply couldn't resolve in time for the event. I suck. There is a tentative plan to hold another event in the fall and perhaps I can make it to that one. Anyway here's two videos of the event for people who like that stuff. The first one is a little boring as it's just cars starting off at the beginning of the course. It does show you the variety of cars you get there.

The second video is the fastest run of any car, and it's an in car view of the whole course. It's a pretty rough surface, so watching him fight the wheel is interesting.

Chasing the Dragon Launch Clips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHRibh48Qg&feature=related)

Chasing the Dragon - Winning Run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZGkhzEwLuw&feature=related)

Now for some updates on the running! How goes it Psy?

Miriel
06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Sounds awesome, man, let us know how it goes.

I don't really have much to contribute to the actual topic at hand. My newest interest is running, and I didn't pick that up from anywhere else. I just felt like it one day and here we are. :shobon:

Born to Run (http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303) - Read it read it read it. It's one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm not even a runner. Or get the audiobook, which is smurfing amazing too. Cannot recommend this book enough to runners, athletes, anyone who is a human being.

Here's one of the crazy WHAT?! facts you'll learn from this book:

Starting at age nineteen, runners get faster every year until they hit their peak at twenty-seven. After twenty-seven, they start to decline. So if it takes you eight years to reach your peak, how many years does it take for you to regress back to the same speed you were running at nineteen?

The answer: 30+ mothersmurfing years! It's not until you hit 60 years old that you regress back to the speed you were running at when you were 19 years old.

Jiro
06-18-2011, 01:17 AM
And yet we there is this 19 y/o motherfucking jamaican coming through slaughtering the sprints (not Bolt, an even better one). He's going to be electrifying.