PDA

View Full Version : "Original Fighting Style" used in Character Profiles?

MJN SEIFER
05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
In a Fighting Game, it is common practice to include the fighting style of each character in their profiles, be it a real fighting style, or a fictional one created for the game. Sometimes however, it just says something like "Original Fighting Style". What does that mean? Does it just mean the character makes his/her attacks up as s/he goes a long?

JKTrix
05-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Maybe not 'as they go along', just that it doesn't have a formal name. Though it could be that, depending on what character you're talking about. (Who is it?)

My avatar character (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%27)'s fighting style has always been called "Pure Violence".

Polnareff
05-31-2011, 02:24 AM
Basically just attacks that they either make up or that don't fight into a proper fighting style. A lot of Capcom characters are like this (hell, some have styles that they aren't using that are listed in their profiles due to human error, see Blanka's early profile for the SF2 games) and some SNK people as well.

Depression Moon
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
I always thought that an untrained fighter would be dubbed a street fighter.

Polnareff
05-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Sometimes they are, like Cody from Final Fight, whose fighting style was at first considered kickboxing, then switched to street fighting later, when he ended up in Street Fighter Alpha 3 (I don't remember if they changed it again since then though).

I didn't clarify on Blanka. Originally, in the Japanese version of SF2 IIRC his fighting style was listed as being an original fighting style he learned from living in Brazil for so long. But then when the game hit the US Capcom's localization team basically went "HURR HE'S FROM BRAZIL SO HIS FIGHTING STYLE IS CAPOEIRA!" so his fighting style was listed as Capoeira for the longest time.

This happened to Chun-li, too. Her fighting style was listed as "Tai Chi" for a long time in the English versions of the SF games, however the JP version had it listed as "Chinese Kenpo." I think they fixed this by the time SFIV came around though.

Mo-Nercy
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Lee Chaolan in the Tekken series has always been listed as using "Martial Arts". In the earlier games, he was more or less a copy of Marshall Law, but has been given more and more unique moves as more games have gone on to be released. He's now a character that plays completely differently from Law.

To me, it looks like a blend of Jun Fan JKD (which inspired Law's character, I'm sure) and savate. So I guess in this context, 'martials arts' really ought to read 'mixed martial arts'.