PDA

View Full Version : Rent

Jessweeee♪
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
So uh, I've only seen the movie. Is the musical significantly better? I mean like, actually better. Not just "it came first so it's better" better. I do like the movie, but yesterday I caught bits and pieces of it on TV, but it was all of my least favorite bits and pieces. I haven't seen the musical to compare but...it just feels like the transition to film was awkward. There are some parts that feel like it's a parody of itself. The combination of film and musical just doesn't work. I feel like The Producers did the musical film adaptation best, but the style is radically different from Rent of course. Perhaps it's just better suited.

Jiro
06-02-2011, 07:03 AM
I've seen a version but not the original version. I know there are differences between the original and the film/etc but I don't really care, I loved it :monster:

Bunny
06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Seeing Rent performed on stage is infinitely better than seeing the movie.

Mostly because one doesn't have Rosario Dawson butchering every scene or song she's in.

Jessweeee♪
06-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Derp. It's been awhile since I saw something on stage, I forgot how much more awesome everything is that way. I could probably see my least favorite show on stage and still have a good experience. My question is answered. I must see it on stage and drag my boyfriend with me so he can see that it doesn't suck as much as he probably thinks it does now.

Jiro
06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Tell him I promise he will enjoy it. If he doesn't enjoy it then I will just run away :p

Pheesh
06-02-2011, 10:25 AM
It's too damn high!!

Couldn't help myself.

Shoeberto
06-02-2011, 02:28 PM
It's pretty easy to find clips of the stage show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szE_qmzavQ) on Youtube for comparison. It looks a little bit more authentic than the movie was, I guess.

Shiny
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Mostly because one doesn't have Rosario Dawson butchering every scene or song she's in.

Yeah, he's right. I saw the original with Daphne Rubin-Vega and she was a terrible singer as well.

I really enjoy Rent though. I've seen the movie and while most of it didn't translate well to film, I thought it was great seeing most of the original cast perform remastered versions of the songs I love.

Fate Fatale
06-18-2011, 01:30 PM
There's a recording of the final Broadway performance of RENT that you can buy and there is a new Revival Off-Broadway production that opened in May. Soo if you're in NYC for a bit you could see a really good production.

Mercen-X
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Seeing Rent performed on stage is infinitely better than seeing the movie.

YOU ARE A MURDERER OF LOVE! weh :eep:

Bastian
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I like very few musicals, but I do like Rent. To a degree. I feel like it could have used some more workshopping to iron out some of the sloppiness, but... eh.

Anyway, I didn't care for the film version. I felt like it was absurd to use the original broadway cast for playing young 20-somethings when they were all ooooooold and looked it. As much as everyone hates Hollywood casting, I think Rent would have benefited from it.