PDA

View Full Version : Business Cards

Shiny
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
So I went on vistaprints and I was displeased with their pre-made designs. Many people have used this site already, and the ones I like have all been used ad nauseous, so I want to make my own design and take the idea to a local mom and pop printing place near by. I'm thinking of, instead of the standard size, doing a mini business card. Partly, because they're adorable and partly because it would probably be cheaper. I'm going to design a card myself in photoshop.

Basically I just want to brainstorm ideas for business cards. What would be appropriate for someone who is a freelance editor and producer? I'm also a sound designer and visual fx artist. I'm thinking of something that incorporates media -- particularly film making in some way. Any ideas?

Yar
06-02-2011, 07:11 PM
DUCKS

Ducks all over it. Just ducks everywhere.

Or design it to look like a movie ticket.

Shiny
06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
omg ilu

Jiro
06-03-2011, 01:46 PM
What size is a mini business card? The problem with mini stuff is it goes missing quickly.

Pheesh
06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Lots of clip art, they have awesome movie images.

Rye
06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Vistaprint is sketchy and I don't recommend them. Overnightprints is fantastic.

I'd make your card matte, in my opinion, and perhaps rounded edges. It stands out more.

Shiny
06-09-2011, 04:13 AM
What size is a mini business card? The problem with mini stuff is it goes missing quickly.

1x3" typically

http://geehowquaint.typepad.com/.a/6a00d835327fca69e20115700de37e970b-800wi

They may get lost easier, but they will fit in most wallets, purses, mini pouches, pockets, and they're ADORABLE.

I've never hear of overnightprint until now. Do they do eco friendly cards like Moo? I like the idea of the rounded edges though. A lot of the problem I have with square standard size cards is that the edges get really rough and tacky looking.

Peegee
06-10-2011, 05:16 AM
I've seen my share of artists' business cards in my day, what with my brother owning his own video game company and everything. A lot of them are very creative looking but as a traditionalist I look at them and wonder about the person's ability. Yes I prejudge based on business cards.

That said, they are without exception unique in design, so either my brother fraternizes with a lot of young entrepreneurs who are idealistic, or it is a quirk of the industry. That's about as 'fair and balanced' as I can put it.

Rounded cards may not get frayed as easily, but you'll pay extra as you'll have to buy the extra paper (how rounded? like an oval? or just rounded corners) / work involved. I would more like to focus on what font(s) you plan to use and the sort of layout that you intend.

In terms of an less 'traditional' card, I think the movie ticket idea is the best, considering your industry. Font and formatting would already be set. Eg: something like this -
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0Sk-Eswg4gi6x50WT_rrU07ri6P9nltjIAq5iskiudG6IxDVE

as opposed to something like

http://blog.philstrahl.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/20070730_ticket-simpsons.png