PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems

Shaibana
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
heyy i have 2 big problems, and i hope some1 here could help me with that.

the first problem is my laptop: it wont go on internet/msn anymore :S
The connection isnt the problem becaus Xfire does work.
So i figured; it must be the firewall? but that didnt do any good either :o

2nd problem is my pc...
since yesterday it has the habbit to shut down for no reasen at all :S
it apears to only happen when i play 'big programs' like Rakion (mmo) and Roller coaster tycoon.

does anyone know how to fix this?

Mirage
06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
PC problem sounds like an overheating issue. But you really need to supply more detailed information. In what way does it shut down?

Shaibana
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
It just completely shuts down. the screen just goes black and thats it.. it doesnt restart or whatsoever.

and when i put it on again it starts like normal

Mirage
06-11-2011, 03:44 PM
For how long have you had it?

After it shuts down, can you turn it back on and use it again instantly?

Shaibana
06-11-2011, 05:14 PM
i had it for a day or 2.. after that ive been avoiding those games ;)
But i seems to be fixed now
and after it shutted down i could just press the button and it started like normal.

So now the internet problem lasts :o

Citizen Bleys
06-14-2011, 06:48 AM
More data needed on the internet issue; are you through a router? If so, does the afflicted computer function properly when you bypass it? Can you ping out by DNS name? If not, can you ping by IP? (206.190.60.37 is yahoo's IP, it responds to ping). Does your internal IP address start with 169.254? Are you using wireless or ethernet? What the hell is xfire? Do you get a telltale message like "limited or no connectivity" or "unidentified network"? What operating system are you using? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Do you have any proxies configured? Are you using your ISP's DNS servers, or an alternate such as Google Public DNS or OpenDNS? Do you have anything on your computer that you didn't install, but which looks like antivirus? (Last one applies to Windows-based operating systems only)

Shaibana
06-14-2011, 05:52 PM
More data needed on the internet issue; are you through a router? If so, does the afflicted computer function properly when you bypass it? Can you ping out by DNS name? If not, can you ping by IP? (206.190.60.37 is yahoo's IP, it responds to ping). Does your internal IP address start with 169.254? Are you using wireless or ethernet? What the hell is xfire? Do you get a telltale message like "limited or no connectivity" or "unidentified network"? What operating system are you using? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? Do you have any proxies configured? Are you using your ISP's DNS servers, or an alternate such as Google Public DNS or OpenDNS? Do you have anything on your computer that you didn't install, but which looks like antivirus? (Last one applies to Windows-based operating systems only)

Yes,what? what? ill try that when i get on that laptop. dunno, yes. its an Ingame-chat program. no, it says: cant find website (something like that). heh? dunno. dont think so. yes

ill answer the questions i dont know later, if i ever get on the laptop

Citizen Bleys
06-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Well, if a chat program is working, then you definitely have a valid IP address, so it's either a name resolution issue, a firewall issue, a proxy, or (assuming you're running Windows) a malware issue. 4 possibilities is easier to go over than 65,536.

Name resolution
If you can ping 206.190.60.37, but not yahoo.com, then you have a name resolution problem.
If you're running Windows, try typing "netsh winsock reset" into a command prompt window (with administrator privileges) and restart the computer. If you're using your ISP's DNS, try switching to Google Public DNS, or vice versa. Name resolution can also be a router issue, but I'm assuming that the computer you're using to post goes through the same router, and would therefore be affected if that were the case. If that assumption is mistaken, try removing the router.

Firewall
A lot of people only think they've disabled their firewall. Typically only Mac users are correct, so once again, I'm going to assume you're on a Windows-based PC; Ensure that you disable both any software firewall you may have installed (would be located in the system tray in the bottom right) and Windows Firewall from the control panel. Most people forget one or the other. A lot of malware programs act like firewalls. The last thing to try for a firewall problem would be the msconfig utility. Go start->run (or use the search bar)->type "msconfig" and go to the services tab. Check "Hide all Microsoft services" and then "disable all"; then go to the...er...last tab (it's been a while, and I don't have a 'doze machine to check what it's called) and disable all on there as well. Hit OK, restart your computer, and if it works, start adding things back in in msconfig until you figure out what it is that's buggering you up

Proxy
A lot of people, especially Windows-using Facebook-goers, are getting malware proxies installed by a Facebook-driven password-stealing trojan. From IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections and pres "LAN settings." If anything's checked there, uncheck it and hit OK. You should now be back on the internet. Now run a virus scan. The moral of the story is: Facebook is the internet equivalent of the closest brothel to a Navy base. If you go there, you're going to get infected. So use protection.

Malware
Malware can do freaking everything. Your best bet is to use your working computer to download everything from mytech.me - Technical Assistance Site by Marcus (http://kgb123.ca/mafia/) (preferably from the original sources, since they may have been updated more recently. It's also generally a good idea not to trust third-party sites, but I know the stuff on kgb123 is clean because I freaking put it there), stick it on a usb stick, and run them on the broken one. If you still have malware on there after running at least MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware, then you're probably stuck doing a full format or paying some PC tech a ludicrous amount of money to format it for you. So the moral of the story in that case is: Get a Mac. It's only more expensive if you don't factor in the extortionate rates PC techs charge to remove Facebook viruses.

Shaibana
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
thanks ^^
ill try it out when i can

Shaibana
06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
HAH yr the best!! it was the 3rd option u gave me.
it was the proxyserver-thing that i use @ school...
but that has never been a problem before :S

But thanx alot!!!

Jiro
06-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Citizen Bleys for Most Helpful Member!