PDA

View Full Version : Today I may die.

fire_of_avalon
06-05-2011, 04:25 PM
There is bacon in my refrigerator. It's open. I'm not sure how long it's been open. The sell by date is August 31. It is not green or slimy (yet) but it's not bright pink either.

I'm at war with myself whether or not to eat it. I could get super sick and die. Or I could pass up some scrumptious bacon. I think I'm going to risk it, because it doesn't smell bad yet.

Do you engage in any risky behaviors? Eating foods after their sell by date? Unprotected sex (with or withou[/URL]t [URL="http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/137374-dark-thoughts.html#post2989966"]Cuch (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/137374-dark-thoughts.html#post2989966)?) Skydiving?

Pike
06-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I frequently struggled with life and death questions such as this when I lived alone. Usually I would google "How long is [such and such] good after it is expired?" and weigh all the answers and then decide what to do. To google's (and my digestive system's) credit, I never died or even got sick.

Now that I live with five other people, however, food isn't around nearly long enough for me to face this issue anymore, which I guess is a good thing.

I don't really think I do anything else that's particularly risky. Other than driving with low air in my tires, I guess, because I tend to forget to fix that.

Psychotic
06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
The sell by date is August 31. 2010 or 2011? If it's 2011, fuck yeah, nothing wrong with that. 2010? You were one of the good ones.

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't wander too far from a phone!

Shoeberto
06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
If it was frozen, I would say it's iffy. If it's been sitting in the fridge, open for that long... trash it! I'm even trying to replace it with some food in my mind that I actually enjoy, so I'm not just saying this because I dislike bacon. I think even in the best case, you'll get some mad wicked :bou::bou::bou::bou:s for an extended period of time. And that's a way to ruin a perfectly good Sunday.

Skyblade
06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
There is plenty of bacon in the world. Go slaughter another pig.

If you do decide to eat it, just crisp it into charcoal first.

Laddy
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
It's almost a year old, woman! D:<

Citizen Bleys
06-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I dislike bacon.

I dislike bacon.

I dislike bacon.

YOU ARE NOT HUMAN!

Run, everybody, the Cylons are here!

sharkythesharkdogg
06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I made brownies with eggs that had an expired about a month prior. I baked them, ate them and lived. They even tasted normal. No beaks, feathers, or anything.

EDIT: The point of that ramble being, go for it. You sound like a tough chic.

fire_of_avalon
06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Haha, what? No. It's definitely August 31, 2011. Paul has inadvertently deceived you. What a guy, that Paul!

Psychotic
06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Haha, what? No. It's definitely August 31, 2011. Paul has inadvertently deceived you. What a guy, that Paul!You're freaking out about open bacon that's August 2011? You are not as much of a BAMF as I thought. :colbert:

Miriel
06-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Have you tried, you know, sniffing it?

The sniff test should let you know whether the food is still good or not. Our senses are meant to protect us from rancid food.

But I wouldn't mess around with opened packages of bacon, regardless of the sell by date. If it smells ok, it should be fine once you fry it up.

Iceglow
06-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Risky things make life fun. I like my life fun! I'd love to do a skydive, though the closest I've come so far are 2 bungee jumps. I also used to play under 14s ice hockey. It might have been under 14s but that still didn't stop me getting my nose broken. Though I did sustain more painful and more frequent injuries learning to figure skate including a broken nose, 3 broken fingers and countless scrapes and bruises.

As far as food goes, I try to remember how long I've had food open but to be generally honest with you if a pack of meat such as bacon or sausages has gone one or two days out of it's best before date it's still fine. Best before doesn't mean it will spoil on that day, it means that the food might still be ok but it'll taste at it's best before that day. Things you learn when you work in a supermarket and deal with the fresh food section. An expiration or "consume before" date should be given more attention. Though with raw meats so long as you intend to well cook them and not consume them raw or medium rare you'll be fine.

Cook the bacon, eat the bacon. If you don't survive haunt me. However I guarantee you'll live.

Mirage
06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Smell it. If it smells ok, just eat it.

That's what I do anyway. Just make sure to cook/fry/whatever it a bit more than you usually do.

Timekeeper
06-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Bacon and all of her lovely friends are full of preservatives, but if it's been in there, open for more than two weeks, you're pushing it.

As a side note, is bacon male or female?

Melissaur
06-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Not slimey, smells fine, sell but August 2011. Eat it. EAT IT!

Shlup
06-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Bacon loses it's pink very quickly after it's been unsealed. As long as it's smells good, you're good to go.

I eat a lot of bacon.

fire_of_avalon
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I ate the bacon a few hours ago and so far I haven't pooped myself or mutated tentacles or anything like that.

I'm still BAMF. Part of BAMFness is protecting ones internal BAMFitude and not ending up in situations that are decidedly un-BAMF, like filling the toilet all night long. No matter how much studded leather you wear or how many asses you kick, everyone will laugh at you for that.

Also, this thread is way off topic with the exception of Iceglow (which is kind of backwards if you think about it.) I want to know what types of risks you guys regularly take or have taken in the past.

Also, I know what to get Shlup for Christmas! Yaaaay.

Pike
06-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Also, this thread is way off topic with the exception of Iceglow (which is kind of backwards if you think about it.) I want to know what types of risks you guys regularly take or have taken in the past.

Pft, I answered that question in the very first reply to the thread! *is SO not off-topic*

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2011, 02:16 AM
and Pike*

blackmage_nuke
06-06-2011, 03:46 AM
If it hadnt expired yet it's fine, if you still get sick, sue the company

Pheesh
06-06-2011, 06:08 AM
I live in Australia, risky enough?

sharkythesharkdogg
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I ate the bacon a few hours ago and so far I haven't pooped myself or mutated tentacles or anything like that.

I'm still BAMF. Part of BAMFness is protecting ones internal BAMFitude and not ending up in situations that are decidedly un-BAMF, like filling the toilet all night long. No matter how much studded leather you wear or how many asses you kick, everyone will laugh at you for that.

Also, I know what to get Shlup for Christmas! Yaaaay.

psshh. Poor reading comprehension! I rambled about eating old eggs! Rambled, damn it!

Loony BoB
06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
You have a terrible memory if you don't know how long it's been open, foaffles. Either that or it must have been some time ago. I always follow a "If I don't remember opening it, it's probably been opened weeks ago and therefore is for the trash" kind of rule.

But yay for you having the bacon and surviving. I assume this is still the case and you haven't suffered any delayed effects.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
There is bacon in my refrigerator. It's open. I'm not sure how long it's been open. The sell by date is August 31. It is not green or slimy (yet) but it's not bright pink either.

I'm at war with myself whether or not to eat it. I could get super sick and die. Or I could pass up some scrumptious bacon. I think I'm going to risk it, because it doesn't smell bad yet.

Do you engage in any risky behaviors? Eating foods after their sell by date? Unprotected sex (with or withou[/URL]t [URL="http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/137374-dark-thoughts.html#post2989966"]Cuch (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/137374-dark-thoughts.html#post2989966)?) Skydiving?

I think I'm suddenly less worried about STDs that I may be cool with unprotected sex. I've never had a problem with unprotected oral so... obviously I just need to slippery slope my way to full on public orgies.

As for foolhardly things (bc I don't think eating bad food is risky behaviour), I tend to simply disregard checking before I do things. For risky things I will do stupidity like go swimming or boating when it's about to rain.

Shorty
06-07-2011, 02:58 AM
There are very few (if none whatsoever) things I would eat that have been opened for two weeks.

Think all all the bacteria that accumulated on that open bacon for NINE MONTHS, FOA FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

sharkythesharkdogg
06-07-2011, 03:25 AM
nine months??? Where'd you even get that? It would have green fur. It would look like angry broccoli. I think it was closer to two weeks.

rubah
06-07-2011, 06:15 PM
this is why you freeze your bacon

risks I take? I viciously opened a package with a knife without adhering to the Girl Scout's Rules of Safety for knives today

Peegee
06-07-2011, 06:37 PM
this is why you freeze your bacon

risks I take? I viciously opened a package with a knife without adhering to the Girl Scout's Rules of Safety for knives today

Girl Scout Pocket Knife Safety | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/about_6681517_girl-scout-pocket-knife-safety.html)

Melissaur
06-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Risks I take? Trusting people. xD

fire_of_avalon
06-08-2011, 12:14 AM
I later discovered the bacon is about a month old. I think I'll have some more.

NorthernChaosGod
06-08-2011, 01:58 AM
So does bacon get better with age like Scotch?

sharkythesharkdogg
06-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Maybe aged bacon and scotch becomes something along these lines. (http://www.drinkspirits.com/vodka/bakon-vodka-bacon-flavored-vodka/)

Chris
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
My entire work is about keeping things clean and neat, so I know not to eat any food that I have the even slightest doubt about.

That being said, a lot of stores screw you over by putting out stuff that can only last a couple of days before it expires, solely so they can sell out as much of their crap as possible, and as fast as possible. The nerve!

Me: "Excuse me, but this expires today, so why are you still selling it?"

Store: "...Well, we've lowered the price."

Me: "...So? Who on earth can drink that much milk in one day?"

Store: "Well, the reduced price justifies any unpleasantries you might experience."

She really said that to me! I didn't know quite what to say.

NorthernChaosGod
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure that milk comes with a sell-by date and not an expiration date.

Mirage
06-11-2011, 03:41 PM
It's a "best before" date where I live. And Chris' example is a non-issue anyway. I'm positive lots of decently sized families could drink that much milk in one day.

And lots of stores follow state/nationwide regulations on expiration dates, if it's the stores that are setting them anyway. Usually, it is the manufacturer of the goods.

Crop
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I always go for the stuff in the store that's reduced due to it going past it's sell by date. I always see people who are like "I would, but it might be dodgy", then I buy it, enjoy it and they're like "Oh I should have got some". It's cheap food.

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah, if it's freezable I will totally buy it.

I just discovered today that you can freeze cheese so from here on out I'm buying those giant 5 lb bags, separating them into little bags and having cheese FOREVER.

That is an example of not taking risks. Another risk I took today was telling my LP to shut his yankee mouth. Boy he laughed!

Jiro
06-14-2011, 06:01 AM
I tried to open a jar using this knife trick and almost cut off my thumb, it was great.

Citizen Bleys
06-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Another risk I took today was telling my LP to shut his yankee mouth. Boy he laughed!

Lieutenant of Police?
Lunch Partner?
Lunatic Pervert?
Libel Publisher?

What the hell is an LP?

EDIT: Ohhh, Limey Poofter. How silly of me not to get that right away.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-16-2011, 01:37 AM
I assumed it was life partner. Maybe I misread that? :confused:

fire_of_avalon
06-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Loss Prevention. I don't have a life partner.

Limey Poofter would be a great thing to call him.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-16-2011, 02:43 AM
Loss prevention? What is that? That makes no more sense than it did when I read LP. Must be some weird, stroke inducing, human resources bull :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I hate corporate bureaucracy so very much.

NorthernChaosGod
06-16-2011, 03:31 AM
They're security guards for the merchandise. :p You've never worked retail, have you?

sharkythesharkdogg
06-17-2011, 02:50 AM
I worked retail as a store manager for 5 years, and a few retail jobs here and there part time before that. It's just that all the companies I worked for called security guards security guards and "loss prevention" was stopping theft. :p

aquatius
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
If it's only a few days off, sure, I eat stale food. You just need to cook it well.

Topaz Flare
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I once ate a can of beans that was expired ( ithink over a year) I ended up in the hospital for a day, puking everything that went inside. plus, i had pain that was so bad I couldnt stand up straight.

so since then, I never touched expired food....

Melissaur
06-19-2011, 04:40 PM
O_O that story make me not want to touch expired food either. Even if it's just a day past DX