PDA

View Full Version : The Coming of A Certain Age

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Tell me about the night you legally turned old enough to drink!

Mine was great. There was a sandstorm and it rained! Also, I worked for fourteen hours in the middle of an Afghanistan desert!

But the real celebrating will commence upon my return stateside. Hopefully.

Your turn!

Iceglow
06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
My 18th? Oh dude that was pretty fucking funny, we pieced most of the events together through the stories told us from the non-drunk people and also through the photos of it. It was kinda like the film The Hangover. I'm not kidding in that regard.

First up gotta remember I've been drinking alcohol since I was what? 14? Something like that. So the whole binge drinking thing is kinda old hat here. My mom figured letting me have the occasional drink growing up would stop me from being a pisshead when I turned 18 because I'd have done it all before. It didn't work, I was still a pisshead, in fact I still am a pisshead to a degree though I know how to control it more.

Well my 18th my friends organised a surprise party for me, one of epic surprise. In fact their plan to get me there was a random encounter with a guy who I was friends with but not too close friends with who was heading over to my friends house for a "quiet drink" and "hanging out" who basically said "Hey, you may as well come, I mean you know them too. Sure you'd be welcome it's nothing too special" Somehow he convinced me to go with him there, which was fine as soon as I got off the bus at their end I was greeted by around 20 of my friends carrying beer/cider cases yelling "surprise mother fucker!" at me. From there on in it gets a little foggy/reconstructed.

Next morning I woke up on my mates sofa a blanket thrown over me nearly butt naked with one of my friends girlfriends curled up on to me butt naked. I was awoken by my college tutor calling me (apparently she was in the know) and wishing me happy birthday my response to her was "I feel old!" I think it was the major hangover talking since now nearly 8 years later, I still don't feel old. I then queried the girl next to me (more talking to myself like "what, why, why is she here and naked?" kind of deal) to which my tutor was like "I'm guessing you're either a) still drunk b) still drunk or c) still drunk and hungover at the same time. Don't worry, I'll collect the class notes for you and give you them over, I'll see you Thursday. Happy birthday, once again!" My tutor rocked, she understood perfectly.

Events what happened:

First up there was copious alcohol, not even going to lie the amount of alcohol was disproportionate to the number of people drinking. I drank a :bou::bou::bou::bou: ton, we know I got through at least 1 24 can case of beer alone, that I drank half a case worth of cider or there abouts (some 8 - 12 cans!) and then ended up on wine and spirits too!

For the early part of the evening I ended up sitting in my mates garden drinking with the girl I woke up next to, Lauren. Now Lauren was dating one of my friends but as it turned out, he wanted to get rid of her and wanted a reason to dump her. In knowing my tastes and knowing she would like me he deliberately brought her to my birthday party so she would end up cheating with me (to ensure this happened he sneaked off halfway through the party and left xD Sly bastard) She ended up "stranded" because he had left and she lived pretty far away but wasn't too bothered because she was chatting to me (I say chatting but by all accounts and pictures of the event we were more likely to have been making out) So that explained the naked girl, we ended up going out for a couple of weeks whereby we met up every couple of days, got wrecked and slept together or just skipped the alcohol and got messy, then I grew bored of her...dick move I know. Thankfully I have grown up some in that regard.

Second up, the guy who managed to get me to go to my own party, he puked a lot. Funny because he always used to go on about how he could out-drink me. The half case or so of cider I knocked back? Was what had been brought for him. He managed 12 or so cans of cider and couldn't take anything else.

At one point in the evening we decided that playing tequila shot poker wasn't enough. So we introduced the stripping rules to it too. Tequila Shot-Strip Poker is amazing so long as there are enough girls involved. However considering we did not have any shot glasses, we had to make do. We ended up with Egg Cups. For reference an Egg Cup holds around a triple measure. We also had no salt or lemon to make these in to slammers, someone thought it would be a good idea to use Lemonade instead since there is salt and lemon and sugar lots of sugar in there. I recall at one point (mostly through the recounting of this and a small short video of me) losing 5 hands in a row, guess it turns out I can't play poker at all when wrecked. I was wearing about 3 items of clothing at the time. Under Strip rules I had to put on, the items of women clothing that had been taken off once I ended up butt naked, it would appear that after the game I never got to get fully dressed again. There was also a funny story of me apparently after around 4 egg-cups of Tequila saying "holy fuck I feel like I wanna hurl why is there no salt or lemon?" at which point one of the guys went and got a soup bowl and was like "Here ya go" we never worked out why in his head the soup bowl would suffice for a guy who wanted to throw up but it was the sweetest funniest thing all night.

After the game of poker, most of the people had either left or were passed out in various locations, including the garden the guy who passed out outside, was hilarious in the morning, there was apparently enough dew for the slugs and snails to find his face fun to slide over. I still cringe thinking of that.

I still couldn't tell you all of the events of that evening, I mean I don't remember a whole lot of it and unfortunately because of the fact that most of those people present were in fact massive pricks (as it was revealed about a year or 2 later) I'm no longer in contact with any of them, still as far as 18th parties go...mine was pretty fucking awesome.

Shattered Dreamer
06-06-2011, 02:07 PM
House party at my parents house with all my friends. Very drunken shenanigans ensued! Memory after that is kinda fuzzy, not surprising since I'm 23. I think I was like 12 the first time I got drunk :lol:

Alive-Cat
06-06-2011, 03:09 PM
According to my EoFF wiki I am a robot. And also suffering brain damage/memory loss. Therefore I cannot describe to you any memories from my life. My apologies.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Sorry hon - my first time stories are all pathetic and uninspiring :(

Loony BoB
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
The night I was legally allowed to buy alcohol in a bar, I did not. *shrug* It's not something I consider a big thing. I drank before I was 18 and learned pretty early on that the flavour of alcohol leaves much to be desired. I'm not one to persist with a bad flavour in the name of "getting used to it".

Fynn
06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Just a movie evening with my close friends. And I have never drunk any alcohol whatsoever. ;)

Pike
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM
My 21st birthday? I played video games during the day. Then I went to work. I worked really late. I came home. I went to bed.

(Do I win?)

Iceglow
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
The night I was legally allowed to buy alcohol in a bar, I did not. *shrug* It's not something I consider a big thing. I drank before I was 18 and learned pretty early on that the flavour of alcohol leaves much to be desired. I'm not one to persist with a bad flavour in the name of "getting used to it".

Those who say you need to get used to the taste of alcohol aren't drinking something right. I mean I drink beer because I actually enjoy the taste. I drink whiskey (bourbons mostly) because I enjoy the taste. I drink Vodka only when drowned in redbull or doing shots, because I don't enjoy the taste!

Loony BoB
06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Those who say you need to get used to the taste of alcohol aren't drinking something right. I mean I drink beer because I actually enjoy the taste.
Yeah, it's just their desperation for me to drink the drinks they like that makes them say it, I think. Either that or they're just weird. In fact, either way, they're weird. :p Luckily I persisted - although not by constantly drinking the same thing, but by trying many options and eventually coming across one I liked after about... what, six or seven years? I don't know why nobody suggested Southern Comfort to me earlier!

Iceglow
06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Southern Comfort is indeed a great drink. Might be you prefer subtle tastes. In which case can I suggest trying Gin and Cranberry Juice or Vodka (note, must be Polish vodka!) and Apple juice

Yar
06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
My 21st is in 23 days D: but I've already bought drinks in Canada and they were damn good :D

Loony BoB
06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Might be you prefer subtle tastes.
Basically, I prefer drinks where I can't taste the alcohol. Which is surprisingly rare, you'd think that knowing alcohol tastes fairly putrid to so many people would mean that far more companies would work towards trying to mask that taste in variations of their drinks. Gin and vodka I find sufferable (much like whiskey/whisky) but I still prefer not to drink them. I've had a few cocktail-styled drinks which weren't bad, but still I prefer lemonade to most of them. xD I'm sure I'll try gin/vodka again someday, though. People are very persistent with trying to get me to like their drinks for some weird reason.

Shattered Dreamer
06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
To further my drunk Irish stereotype I LOVE the taste of alcohol :lol:

Parker
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I actually drank responsibly and had a quiet evening in the pub with close friends.

My cousin's 18th, a couple months later on the other hand?

Oh boy.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Those who say you need to get used to the taste of alcohol aren't drinking something right. I mean I drink beer because I actually enjoy the taste.
Yeah, it's just their desperation for me to drink the drinks they like that makes them say it, I think. Either that or they're just weird. In fact, either way, they're weird. :p Luckily I persisted - although not by constantly drinking the same thing, but by trying many options and eventually coming across one I liked after about... what, six or seven years? I don't know why nobody suggested Southern Comfort to me earlier!

My only suggestion is that you drink everything once and try stuff. My tastes have changed - I went from girly coolers to rum and coke, which has become my staple for over a decade. Now I can drink beer - but I don't really enjoy it like I do 4-8 rum and cokes. Heck I will drink shots of spirits instead of drinking beer. It's ridiculous.

Eventually you'll find what you like and settle with it. Don't let people tell you that you have to enjoy xyz. There's no way I will ever drink beer to excess - my limit is 6 before I vomit. But I can hold mixed drinks up to a dozen drinks without passing out - my behaviour will degrade to unacceptable long before a dozen drinks, BUT THAT'S OKAY

Shlup
06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
My friends and I drove up the mountain to stay the weekend at my mother's cabin. I made spaghetti for dinner, and then began chugging merlot out of a box.

It wasn't very long before purple noodley vomit was spraying everywhere. The carpet, the cabinets, even the ceiling. Protip: don't try and cover your mouth when you vomit; it'll just shoot it everywhere.

BJ sat with me while I clung to the toilet, and eventually we lay together in my purple noodley vomit.

My mother finally pulled up that carpet last weekend. I reminded her of this and she was all "That was that carpet?? Why didn't I rip it up sooner? Ahhh!!"

Shorty
06-07-2011, 03:03 AM
The same as every other night that I was drinking for five years prior: awesome.

rubah
06-07-2011, 03:08 AM
went out to dinner, got Drunk for the first time, and passed out at home for a couple of hours xD It was an odd time of my life, and it was fine for that

Shlup
06-07-2011, 03:22 AM
The same as every other night that I was drinking for five years prior: awesome.

Nonono, that's not how it's supposed to work. I started drinking when I was fifteen, but you haven't properly celebrated your of-age birthday unless you pop.

Shoeberto
06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
I didn't really celebrate mine until my 22nd, which wasn't really super epic or anything. I just got mega drunk. My favorite part was doing shots and playing beer pong with my dad.

I sang a lot of Rock Band that night :)

Shiny
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I will let you know in August. The story will be inevitably weird/interesting.TBC

Breine
06-11-2011, 04:14 PM
You have to be 16 ot buy alcohol under 19%, and 18 to buy stuff that is over 19% - I think. I kinda forgot. You have to be 18 to get into bars/clubs, though.

But anyway, I've been drinking since I was 13 (which is pretty normal here), so chances are that the night I turned 16 was just like any other normal night of casual hanging out, and doing nothing in particular. I honestly don't remember what happened that day. I don't rememebr my 18th birthday either. I suck at this xD

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Does that mean you could buy mixed drinks at 16?

blackmage_nuke
06-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I stayed up all night...
Because I had an assignment due the next day.

Jiro
06-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Man that's not even a year ago and I forget. I had class the next morning at 8am so I think I drank on my own :( until about 4am and then crashed just long enough so I could wake up and drive to uni. I don't remember if mum took me up, but I assure you I was over the limit if I drove.

Citizen Bleys
06-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Well, my 18th was a fairly small event because it happened before the Internet, back in the days when even cellular phones weighed 38 kilograms and cost approximately as much as an assault helicopter.

It all started when my friends showed up and we got a giant box of timbits--I think you damned dirty foreigners call them donut holes, but far from being the absence of any substance whatsoever, they're actually made of delicious, delicious cake.

We started by chasing down the timbits with beer, which I thought was pretty awful at first, but after I lost count of how many I had it seemed pretty ok. My uncle told us about a shiny treasure in the landfill and me and the boys ran right on over but all we found was a bunch of ninjas who tried to kill us. Then the King of Norway showed up and performed all of the lines to Hamlet in the voice of Kermit the Frog. My dad showed up to save us from the ninjas, which was pretty cool, but we were too drunk to notice and my uncle pushed him in the sewer, then took over the house and set it on fire, which was also pretty cool.

Of course, I woke up the next morning feeling like hell and me and my buddies formed a posse and tossed my uncle out onto the street. I got to say "bitch, this is MY house!" which made my day. It was a truly epic night, which it rightfully should be, since I've just described the plot of The Lion King.

All good things had to come to an end, of course; not just because of the fire, but because we ran out of timbits, which, as it turns out, were actually drugs.

THE END

Jiro
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
I had a feeling those things were drugs right from the beginning.

NorthernChaosGod
06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Timbits are donut holes, yes?

Freya
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
I plan on spending a weekend in dallas with some friends. I'll let you all know how it goes next month. Seeing as how I have quite a few of your numbers i'll most likely drunk dial.

Carl the Llama
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
18th birthdays are always big things in my family, and being the youngest person in my generation of family members, they knew what they were doing by then and we had an epic time, of course I didn't know what the plan was so first off me n my dad went to town and he bought me an outfit to wear for the night, then went back to his house (so they could pimp my house out) and we had dinner and I got my first taste of jack n coke :shifty: then after about an hour of chillin I went and got changed and when I came back down there where my dad, my bro and 2 of my cousins ambushed me and we put me in the back of my cousins van and drove me to the club that we had rented out for the evening, and then I remember drinking copious amounts of JD and dancing alot and I also remember my cousin (who owns the van) playing alot of awesome music with his then band, after about 12pm we had to leave the club and some how I managed to get home... god knows how though as I remember sitting down in the club then all of a sudden I was back at home, to which we continued having a massive party, and to my great joy, I won the bet, I had bet against the rest of my male family members (dad notwithstanding as he had gone home) that I could indeed stay up alot longer then they could, after about 5am most of the people had crashed and it was just me my brother and the non band cousin playing street fight alpha 3 and of course my brother and cousin had been munching on special brownies so they crashed out, I took photo's of them sleeping in case they bitched about it, and they did of course but I said I can prove it, then we got the photo's developed (Score 1 the youngest of my generation!).

I won a bottle of JD from the lot of them... though it was a 1.5L of JD so it was definitely worth it.

I saw my boss on Saturday and he commented that I must had drunk about 30+ shots of JD during the party at the club.

Christmas
01-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Iceglow has won the thread. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
01-26-2023, 02:39 AM
I agree with Christmas. Steve knocked it out of the park with this one.