PDA

View Full Version : weight loss

Pumpkin
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know how I can lose weight while playing Final Fantasy? It's hard to exersize and focus on the battles at the same time.

Yar
06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Stationary bicycle.

Jessweeee♪
06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
You could forget to eat! It's not the healthiest way, but you'll probably drop some weight.

Pumpkin
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
You could forget to eat! It's not the healthiest way, but you'll probably drop some weight.

I TRY but darnnit sausage is just so good
and cookies
and pie
and salami
and darnnit u aint helping

Iceglow
06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
eat only fruit, nuts and red meat. Nothing which you could not scavenge for. No grain, no dairy (except milk, I'll allow milk), no cereals or bread for sure.

Live a somewhat active lifestyle whilst not over-doing it. It will leave you feeling hungry but thats why you should eat nuts and seeds because they're low in fats (go for unsalted seeds and nuts) but filling. You'll also end up with "interesting" bowel movements sorry can't be helped...you will also with mild excercise shed weight like nothing else on the planet. You can lose a lot this way and whilst the excercise workout is mild you'll end up looking lean, mean and will have stringy but strong muscles.

I'm not bloody kidding on this either. Very quick and good way to lose a beer gut and get in shape.

Yar
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I TRY but darnnit sausage is just so good
and cookies
and pie
and salami
and darnnit u aint helpingomg all these things are better than losing weight

Parker
06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
re-enact what you play!!

run the length of the calm ladns (jog to store to get snacks and back)

lift ur buster sword onto ur back and climb mt nibel! (mt nibel actually wardrobe covered in bed sheets)

etc

Pumpkin
06-06-2011, 07:58 PM
re-enact what you play!!

run the length of the calm ladns (jog to store to get snacks and back)

lift ur buster sword onto ur back and climb mt nibel! (mt nibel actually wardrobe covered in bed sheets)

etc

Thats why I need ff on PS3 with I motion

Shlup
06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Don't get any snacks, or just a small snack, before you start to play. If you're really into the game you won't want to get up to get more snacks.

If you get a stationary bicycle, get a recumbent one. I have one and I sit on it while I watch TV.

Sit on an exercise ball and don't be afraid to bounce.

Make it like a drinking game, except exercise instead of drinking. Any time you hit a random battle, you have to... run a lap around your house or something. Bonus: the neighbors will start to think you're crazy.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
This is GC so I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

..bc you can exercise after you are done playing FF ?

rubah
06-06-2011, 09:50 PM
if you can't play ff with your eyes blindfolded, then you're doing it wrong.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM

maybe in dragon warrior, and maybe in a dungeon

NorthernChaosGod
06-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Hook up the TV to a stationary bike that will only stay on while being powered through your pedaling.

Alive-Cat
06-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Only eat when Cloud Strife eats.

Timekeeper
06-07-2011, 02:51 AM
IMO, Iceglow's answer was far too realistic and sensible!

rubah
06-07-2011, 03:02 AM

maybe in dragon warrior, and maybe in a dungeon

:D *high five*

Pumpkin
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
When does Cloud eat?
And yes this I am serious, I hate exersizing I love junk food, and I need to lose 30 lbs.
Most of my free time when not at adult ed/driving school/entertaining boyfriend, is spent playing ff, so I was wondering how to incorperate the two.

Yesterday I ate an apple, celery and carrot sticks and then....
I ruined it with bacon wraps

bacon is so FATTENING O.O

Peegee
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
no sure if serious.mp3

just don't eat junk. eat 40% veggies and 45% protein. the rest is sat fats.

Slothy
06-07-2011, 02:59 PM
eat only fruit, nuts and red meat. Nothing which you could not scavenge for. No grain, no dairy (except milk, I'll allow milk), no cereals or bread for sure.

I'm surprised to be saying it, but I agree with Iceglow. Sort of. You don't need to limit yourself to red meat, and he should have had vegetables in there as well. If you stick to lean meats, vegetables, some fruit, nuts, seeds and oils at every meal and snack you will lose weight. Try eating three meals and three snacks a day involving these food groups. Split them evenly throughout the day. Also, expect to go through carb withdrawl at first and probably start craving breads, cookies, and that sort of thing. You can also work in cheat meals as well. Plan for 10-20% of your meals to be something other than this, whether that's spaghetti, pizza or whatever, or maybe having cookies or brownies some night as a snack. Accept that you won't be eating healthy 100% of the time and plan for it so that when you do cheat, it's not a complete binge and you get back on track with the next meal.

It will leave you feeling hungry but thats why you should eat nuts and seeds because they're low in fats (go for unsalted seeds and nuts) but filling.

If you're eating the right proportions of these things and eating regularly enough you should not feel hungry. Ever. If you do feel hungry well before your next meal or snack then you should play with the portions of what your eating. Try eating fewer vegetables and more nuts, or just add some more vegetables or meat or what have you. Also keep in mind that a good portion size for meat with your meals would be an amount roughly the size of your palm. For snacks, about half that or a little less. Just try to find the portions that work for you and keep you feeling full.

You can't out train a :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty diet so unless you start changing it to something more in line with what I've gone over for the most part you won't get there, or the weight you lose will be a combination of fat and muscle rather than just fat.

And for the record, you can have bacon for breakfast if you're doing this. Just remember to accompany it with some of the other food groups. I like a bit of a light breakfast myself so I'd generally go with some eggs, a bit of fruit (usually raspberries or an apple) and some almonds. Bacon (and meat in general) is not fattening!

And if you really need a way to exercise while playing FF because otherwise you won't do it, the best thing you could do is use an exercise bike, or maybe walk on a treadmill. Anything else will make it nearly impossible to see the screen let alone focus on it.

Iceglow
06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised to be saying it, but I agree with Iceglow.

This, this quote here. I am keeping forever. I'm going to treasure this, the day I almost broke Vivi's mental balance :bigsmile:

Slothy
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM

This, this quote here. I am keeping forever. I'm going to treasure this, the day I almost broke Vivi's mental balance :bigsmile:

You make the mistake of assuming I'm not already quite insane. :shifty:

Peegee
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM

You make the mistake of assuming I'm not already quite insane. :shifty:

slightly off topic: Vivi sama how goes your fitness regiment?

Slothy
06-07-2011, 06:14 PM
slightly off topic: Vivi sama how goes your fitness regiment?

Not really where I'd like to be in terms of strength work from dealing with a few injuries over the last few months. I'm currently trying to cut some weight and improve my conditioning while still building up in weight on my strength lifts again and trying to strengthen my injury prone shoulder so I don't hurt it again.

I did get some impressive personal records during the Crossfit games open though. Ironically, some of those are what basically caused me to hurt my shoulder again, but still good to know that I'm stronger in some aspects and still as fast as ever despite being about 20-25 lbs. heavier than I was a year ago.

Pumpkin
06-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Is rice good?

I read something that you need to burn 500 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb a week and that everyone has a Base Metabolic Rate which they burn automatically. I also read it is unhealthy to eat 1000 calories a day, and woman should not drop below 1200 calories a day. I calculated my Base Metabolic rate and it is a bit over 1500 calories a day so with little exersize I would need to only eat 1000 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week so I need to exersize more.

I dont have a calory counter for exersize so does anyone know about how many calories some exersizes burn (walking, jogging etc) and any exersizes that burn a large number of exersizes.

I'm thinking of joining a dance class if I can find one (rediculously small town) so hopefully that will help.

Also I read there are some foods that burn more caloies digesting them than the actually calory count on it, usuing celery as an example, does anyone know other foods like this?

And how many nuts should I eat? I really dont like nuts and seeds so Im not looking forward to it.

Apparently, peanut butter is also a good filler?

Sorry if I am being annoying but I am serious about this. My self esteem is at an all time low :(

Slothy
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Is rice good?

Being a grain it's not ideal, but you could do worse. In the long run I'd rather see people not eating it, but if it's something you like that you can substitute for something worse that you were eating before then go for it. Incremental improvement is always better than none.

I read something that you need to burn 500 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb a week and that everyone has a Base Metabolic Rate which they burn automatically. I also read it is unhealthy to eat 1000 calories a day, and woman should not drop below 1200 calories a day. I calculated my Base Metabolic rate and it is a bit over 1500 calories a day so with little exersize I would need to only eat 1000 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week so I need to exersize more.

I dont have a calory counter for exersize so does anyone know about how many calories some exersizes burn (walking, jogging etc) and any exersizes that burn a large number of exersizes.

The best thing I think you can do, especially starting out with trying to get healthy, is to keep things simple. If you overcomplicate everything too much then it becomes a lot of work that will only make it harder to stick with improving your diet and exercise. So with that in mind, I'd say forget about counting calories for food and exercise right now. If you're eating better foods (again, lean meat, vegetable, fruit, etc.) it will be nearly impossible for you to overeat. Your body will let you know when enough is enough and if you need to eat more. For exercise, again, stay simple. Don't worry about what you're doing and how many calories it burns. Find something you enjoy and just do it. Whether that's hiking through the woods, biking, weight lifting, or the dance classes you mentioned. As long as you enjoy it you'll stick with it and if you don't worry about the calories it burns it won't start to feel like work.

Just try to do whatever it is you like to do for exercise a few times a week. Whether that involves taking dance classes a few days a week, or just going once a week and practicing at home, or walking other days. Whatever it is, just make the time to do it.

And how many nuts should I eat? I really dont like nuts and seeds so Im not looking forward to it.

The actual number you would need to eat is really low to get enough fat in the day. I'm 6'2" and 265 lbs. right now and I'd eat 15 almonds with a meal at most. If you generally don't like nuts and seeds though you can always substitute with avacado, or by using a table spoon or two of olive oil or salad dressing.

Apparently, peanut butter is also a good filler?

Peanut butter is something that can be kind of controversial. Technically peanuts are a legume and not a nut and generally are to be avoided, but again, since it's better than cookies and in the interests of keeping things simple I wouldn't say don't eat it, just don't overdo it. Cutting out things like peanut butter and counting grams of protein, carbs, etc. is the sort of thing you can do if you lose some weight and get healthier and decide to take things to a new level in terms of your fitness. For someone just starting out things can easily get too complicated and restricted and it's better to avoid that early on so you stick with it.

Shlup
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Peanut butter is a very calorie-dense food; don't eat more than one serving.

It mostly comes down to calories-in/calories-out. If you count calories for a couple of months, you become much more aware of what you're eating, and it'll change your world.

NorthernChaosGod
06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Peanut butter is used a lot by bodybuilders to bulk up; I'd stay away from it if you want to drop weight.

And losing weight should be as simple as eating better and cutting out most sugars and junk foods. If you exercise you pretty much have to do some form of resistance training or you're going to lose muscle. Your body likes to get rid of muscle before it gets rid of its precious fat deposits.

EDIT: Another reason I would stay away from counting calories burned during exercise, a lot of people tend to overestimate the amount of calories they actually burned and "reward" themselves with sweets or snacks.

Alive-Cat
06-08-2011, 10:55 PM
When does Cloud eat?

Wall Market.

Miriel
06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Is rice good?
In moderation there's nothing wrong with rice, but it's mostly just filler. Not a ton of nutritional value. A lot of people will recommend against carbs like rice in favor of protein and veggies, but I can't live without rice personally. And the Asian diet of rice + veggies works well for a lot of people.

This is really really simple. To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you eat. That's it. You don't need to do any special kind of diet, you don't need to overthink it. Just limit your calorie intake, and increase your exercise. Simple.

If you eat 1500 calories worth of donuts, but you burn 2000 calories, you will still lose weight like this guy (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html). It's just a numbers game. Obviously, that's not a healthy way of going about things. Just an example to illustrate that it really is all about the numbers.

I'm thinking of joining a dance class if I can find one (rediculously small town) so hopefully that will help.
This website (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/) helped me a ton when I was trying to drop a few pounds. It helps you calculate how many calories you should be eating based on how much weight you want to lose. It helps you track how many calories in virtually every food item you can think of.

Cardio workouts like dancing is great, but you really need resistance training as well. Check out Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY). It seriously works.

Just eat less processed foods. Eat fresh veggies and lean meats. Cook your own food so that you can control how much butter and oil go into things. Eat smaller portions. Be aware of how crazy high the calories are for most eat-out foods. I mean, just one SALAD from California Pizza Kitchen is roughly 1200 calories. Being aware is better than anything. Oh and seriously guzzle water. A lot of people mistake thirst for hunger and eat when they should be drinking. Eliminate soda and sugary drinks from your diet if you can. And don't bother with diet sodas, they're awful for you too.

Peegee
06-09-2011, 12:01 AM
during the last few convos with jojo I had, she pointed out that its not as simple as calories in < calories out. the body has impressive adaptability and it manifests in different ways

ncg is right that you should just live healthy and eat moderately. eventually you will get used to your body

btw when I eat at maintenance I am always starving. when I eat to lose or gain weight it feels fine

also I eat at maintenance if I am bad at finances and can't afford to diet. my body is weird

Miriel
06-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Well yeah, there have been studies like this one (http://www.pomona.edu/news/2010/07/29-calorie-study-barr-wright.aspx) that shows that processed foods can lead to weight gain despite being equal in calories to unprocessed foods. But for someone just starting to lose weight, it really does come down to calories in and calories out. There's a lot of funky information out there and it's easy to get confused and overwhelmed. But if you take a few steps back and think about it, you realize that it's really very simple.

People try and make up all these crazy ass diets when you really don't need to complicate things so much. To quote Michael Pollen, “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”

escobert
06-09-2011, 04:11 AM
I duno what these fools are talking about I just eat whatever I want and never gain a pound :bigsmile:

Pumpkin
06-09-2011, 02:07 PM
thanks for the help everyone

I did go on that website and it says my goal is 1272 calories a day.

I understand about the eating healtier, and I really am motivated and capable of giving up junk to achieve my goal all except one thing...

cheese. I love cheese. Seriously, I write I love cheese over all my notebooks and such....and my boyfriends. and chalkboards. And dry erase boards. and ocasionally my shoes. and jeans.

Slothy
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
cheese. I love cheese. Seriously, I write I love cheese over all my notebooks and such....and my boyfriends. and chalkboards. And dry erase boards. and ocasionally my shoes. and jeans.

So eat it, just in moderation. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over a salad, or something like that. I love cheese as well to be honest, and though again it's not ideal, it won't kill you to eat some here and there, or greatly hinder your weight loss goals. The only problem with dairy is if you start consuming a lot of it regularly. One of the best ways to gain weight is to drink lots of milk everyday. Great if you're looking to buid muscle mass and get stronger, not so great if you want to get leaner.

I'm also going to reiterate once again that I don't necessarily agree with everyone recommending you count calories, particularly if your looking to keep things simple. I don't think it can get any simpler than making better food choices and listening to what your body is telling you. Once you start taking it into the realm of measuring out portion sizes then it becomes more work and complicates things since you're always trying to keep track of what you've eaten, and how big a portion you can have of something else.

If after a while you plateau in your weight loss or start to gain rather than lose, then it can become beneficial to keep a food log, measure portion sizes, and count calories, but just starting out you should have no problem seeing results from simply making better food choices and it will be a lot easier to stick with early on as you get used to doing it. The simpler and easier your diet plan the better so you don't fall into old habits right away, and by simply making it a matter of learning to make smart food choices before anything else, you'll learn what you should be eating in any situation you find yourself in.

Peegee
06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
gain wt? lift weights
lose wt? lift weights
female? calcium. LOTS OF IT
can you deadlift a baby? bench a baby? outrun a child? carry a child? squat a child? bench a child? no? there's a fitness goal for you.

my friend can do 50 body mass squat reps and bench 40 lbs. I'm like O_o joanne can't even do 20 lbs to which said friend pointed out that babies grow up fast.

on topic if you eat nutritionally empty foods you will be incapable of many fun things that are good for you. the specifics of how much you eat is irrelevent - you cannot overeat on a clean diet