PDA

View Full Version : The Spirits Within

Hollycat
06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Disscuss. Why is there no thread for this?

VeloZer0
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Because most people want to forget about it?

Fynn
06-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Come on, it was a very nice Sci-Fi. It just had little to do with FF.

Omni-Odin
06-07-2011, 01:06 AM
I bought this movie for $4 like two weeks ago because I remember liking it when I was younger. I think people don't like it because there's not a sense of a classic FF adventure. After watching it, I still like it. But for a "sci-fi" flic. Not a Final Fantasy. If I were a critic, I would give this movie 2 and a half stars out of five. Pretty entertaining really, just short and easy to predict.

VeloZer0
06-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes, but it's massive financial failure is what caused SE to change it's whole marketing/development strategy from producing titles I like to producing ones that I don't. :mad2:

Hollycat
06-07-2011, 04:02 AM
I like it

Wolf Kanno
06-07-2011, 05:00 AM

It used to be part of the FF music forum but was finally purged cause no one talks about it.

Yes, but it's massive financial failure is what caused SE to change it's whole marketing/development strategy from producing titles I like to producing ones that I don't. :mad2:

Actually, that all happened after Wada stepped in as head of the company after Square went into the red (http://www.gamingunion.net/news/the-history-of-square-enix-the-formation--5250.html). As much as the film was a flop, from what I read, building Square Pictures was the bigger financial problem.

Beyond that, I still liked the movie, even back in the day, I didn't think it was as awful as people claimed it to be. Like others have said, taken as a strict sci-fi flick, its pretty nice.

MJN SEIFER
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Come on, it was a very nice Sci-Fi. It just had little to do with FF.
Did you even watch the movie? It was completly to do with FF!

Fynn
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Oh yah, they had Dr. Sid and a Lifestream rip-off. But it was not about a ragtag bunch of misfits fighting a bishounen baddie with swords. That's why most fans hated it. I loved it.

MJN SEIFER
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Oh yah, they had Dr. Sid and a Lifestream rip-off. But it was not about a ragtag bunch of misfits fighting a bishounen baddie with swords. That's why most fans hated it. I loved it.

Then the "fans" missed the point. It was meant to be a modern movie with throwbacks to FF, rather than an actual FF movie itself (Advent Children was more of a direct FF movie). Hence why they had things like Sid and the like. They also had Gaia, and Hein is obviously named after Hyne.

VeloZer0
06-08-2011, 04:07 AM
So you mean a sci-fi movie that is just shamelessly cashing in on the FF brand to boost sales?

Dante WolfWood
06-08-2011, 04:45 AM

Because it never happened

*reaches for Men in black pen*...

Rostum
06-08-2011, 05:51 AM
The major critisism this film gets outside of the Final Fantasy fan base is that it is probably one of the best examples of the uncanny valley in films. The characters are lifeless and look like zombies.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't that great by any means.

MJN SEIFER
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
At least it was still somewhat aware of it's target audience. It wasn't like the Street Fighter Movie (which I sort of liked, but understood completly why a longterm Street Fighter fan would be angry with it, as it gets far too many things wrong, and doesn't real feel like Street Fighter at all, despite have the characters) It was kind of like FFIX in the way it reminded us of FF games by naming things after them, and being set side by side with it.

I found it to be an interesting movie, and I was constantly calling out to myself "Hey, it's just like the moment from this FF!"

The only real criticism I have is that I don't think they handled Hein very well in the end. He was just too much of a 1D character, he seemed out of place in an FF story, especially as he was the villain in the movie. The quick scene when he says "What have I done?" is all we get of any possibilities to identify with the character, and then it's quickly forgoton.

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2011, 04:47 PM

But only two titles have a bishounen baddie, unless FFII had one too, then that makes it three :confused: