PDA

View Full Version : Working Lots

Shlup
06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Today my sweet darling BJ starts a new summer work schedule--instead of working eight hours a day, Monday through Friday, he convinced his boss that for the summer they should all work ten hours a day, Monday through Thursday.

We are very excited for Fridays off. Monday through Thursday he'll basically be coming home at 8:30, working out, eating dinner, and then going to bed, but now we can really get down on Friday and have some fun fun fun fun.

If I had a real job like a real grown-up, that would be a pretty badass schedule. Though most jobs I've had have been really exhausting jobs (working with children) and have often been ten hours anyway (staying late to call parents to prep tomorrow's lessons, or that summer I worked twelve hour shifts with no breaks in a day care and wanted to murder everyone) so Fridays off would be great.

What would your ideal work schedule be? Full-time work, I mean.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 09:20 PM
I've worked most shifts that exist - 12am - 8am, and um... 4am-12am shifts, and the regular early - 10:30am shifts that stagger throughout the day.

I actually believe the 4am-12am shifts are the best bc you get to see people, but it never gets so difficult (workload) that you get stressed out. Right now I have a 1030a shift, and while I'd prefer a 10:00-6:00 shift so that I can take a train instead of a bus home, I also enjoy sleeping in.

which reminds me: OT: is it true California doesn't have a local train system? My cousin mentioned greyhound and Amtrak when I asked. How the heck do so many people commute from out of the city?

NorthernChaosGod
06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Dr. House's work schedule. :monster:

sharkythesharkdogg
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
1pm-11pm Monday - Thursday, major holidays off with pay. That would be nice.

Shoeberto
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
One of my coworkers does this and he's pretty happy with it. I've honestly considered it, but the whole thing of going in early and getting home late would suck for me. I dunno, maybe I could make it work with some adjustments.

I'm guessing he works somewhere with flex hours, which are like the best work-related invention to ever exist. Once you go on to them, anything else feels like slave labor.

Peegee
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I've done things like work 16 hour days for 2 months straight. The money was really good but I completely burned out by the end of the 2nd month and had to change back to 8 hour. Thankfully the extra work was done before I was.

If BJ can handle 10 hour work days, it is definitely a nice schedule. Did you know in hong kong they work 6 days a week? That's just nuts. So instead, my uncle worked out a 9 hour work day 5x a week instead of 8x6. You work 3 hours less, plus you get saturdays :)

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Perfect work schedule is 8 am - 4 pm, paid lunches, with rotating weekends. Week 1 you get the weekend off. Week 2 you get back to back weekdays off. Paid holidays off, two weeks paid vacation to start that increases with time spent in the position.

Rye
06-07-2011, 01:34 AM
I kind of like my schedule. I work Monday and Tuesday, take Wednesday off, work Thursday and Friday. Weekends off. Only unfortunate is I work 9-6 which sucks more than working 9-5 for obvious reasons.

Jess
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
I like working Monday to Friday 9-5. I have flexitime, so I can start work earlier and finish later if I want to, and gain the hours back in holiday. I don't have to work any bank holidays & I can work overtime at the weekends if I like. My hours never change, and that's perfect for me.

escobert
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
8 hours a day 5-6 days a week is more than enough for me :p

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Being in the Marines, I pretty much will always work at least 10 hour days, minimum. It is great when deployed. Like right now I work from midnight to noon/whenever I finish. I usually end up working about 13-16hr days, 7 days a week. But it keeps me occupied and makes the time go by faster.

Ideally, I like the 4:30pm-2:00am shift I mostly worked when I was stateside. I always felt my best working that shift.

Pike
06-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I just wish that for once in my life I could have a set schedule. It doesn't even have to be 9-5, Mon-Fri (although I'd like to have one of those for once in my life too), but in nearly ten years of working I've never had a set schedule and I never know what days/times I'm working more than a couple of days in advance. It must be nice... ;_;