PDA

View Full Version : Skyward Sword's Art Style

Edge7
06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Okay, I'm nt sure if a thread on this already exists, so I apologize in advance. My first impression of SS's art style was dissappointment, but that was mainly because the first promotional image led me to expect a sequel to Twilight Princess (justified when you consider that every Link so far has appeared in at least two Zelda games if I'm not mistaken). Plus, at first the bright colors didn't seem to mesh with the more realistic Link.

However, watching the latest E3 trailer, I realized something. If they were to remake one of the pre-Ocarina Zelda games into 3D, it would probably look a lot like Skyward Sword's art style. Playing a bit of Link's Awakening and imagining the enviroments in 3D confirmed my suspicions.

I don't know how, but the retro-gamer in me completely changed my view on the art style, and I love it more every time I look at the screenshots. I even don't mind Zelda's redesign.

But that's just me. What about you guys?

Del Murder
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Anything is better than the cartoon style. Though Toon Link is pretty badass in SSB Brawl.

Ouch!
06-09-2011, 08:13 PM
It's meant to be reminiscent of an impressionist painting, and while I don't quite get that vibe (I think it'd need a lot more stylistic blur for that), I appreciate the colors. Too many games these days take a "realistic" color palette which involves far too much brown and gray. This is a lot fresher and a lot more exciting to look at.

Vermachtnis
06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
I like Zelda's new design. She's been getting more and more badass lately, and if the trend continues she's gonna cross over into badass adorable in this new game.

And I'm with RDM, I'm tired of the "Real is Brown" thing and this is refreshing. I said the same thing when I saw Wind Waker.