PDA

View Full Version : Old School Sitcoms

Yar
06-10-2011, 04:35 AM
Pre-2000, if you would be so kind. :D

Sitcoms just aren't what they used to be! Now that I have Netflix I've been rewatching a lot of them. I'm halfway through Roseanne :love:, and I just started The Cosby Show again this week. Brilliant show omg.

Also Fresh Prince! yay fresh!

What are some of your favorite old sitcoms?

Agent Proto
06-10-2011, 05:27 AM
I never really liked Seinfeld when it was usually the number one show on television, but I do usually enjoy watching it now as reruns. I do like me some Home Improvement though!

charliepanayi
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure I would classify anything 90s as old, but if we're talking pre-2000 then Seinfeld and Frasier (seasons 1-7) are the best of the US crop, with stuff like Cheers not far behind. As for the UK, Blackadder (series 2-4), Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses.

ScottyRedXIII
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Justy

Also Fresh Prince! yay fresh!

That show is always on still In the UK.

charliepanayi

As for the UK, Blackadder (series 2-4), Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses

I see you didn't pick season one of Blackadder ;) to be honest it did suck. As for Fawlty Towers it's a shame they didn't make any more then what 10 episodes? In my opinion John Cleese's best bit of work (Yes even better then pythons). And R.I.P John Sullivan, Only fools and horses

Rock and chips is ok, not as great as fools though.

magemasher
06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm probably the only person who likes series 1 of Blackadder (i'm not lying:tongue:)

Young ones and Bottom always get a laugh even though I've seen them a thounsand times since I was a kid.

I've recently got into open all hours as the Arkwright and Granville have drawn great parrallels with myself and my first ever boss, Arkwright even looks like my old boss lol.

I also watch Frasier and King of Queens.

Not many of todays comedy interests me except Harry Enfield sketches.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I enjoy Seinfeld, and some 3rd Rock from the Sun.

From the UK I enjoy Black Adder, and early The Vickar of Dibley (haven't seen much of the new stuff.)

I also liked Arrested Development, but it's too new to fit in this category.

Most sitcoms that I watched when I was quite a bit younger (Alf, Perfect Strangers, etc.) I don't want to see again. There is no way they'll be as funny as nostalgia makes me believe they are.

Pheesh
06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Seinfeld all the way. I have the box set and there isn't a disk in the whole bunch that won't make me laugh.

Freya
06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Does Boy Meets World count? :D

Yar
06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
yes

Bunny
06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
3rd Rock From the Sun.

Jessweeee♪
06-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure I would classify anything 90s as old

Personally I'm gonna think of anything with a laugh track as old, even if it's technically new! I mean, the laugh track changes everything!

Del Murder
06-11-2011, 05:00 AM
Seinfeld is great, obviously. Also try NewsRadio. One of the most underrated sitcoms in my opinion.

Yar
06-11-2011, 05:06 AM
NewsRadio yesss I have the DVDs

NeoCracker
06-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Boy Meets World and The Drew Carry Show are bar none the best Sit coms to ever grace the planet.

Shlup
06-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, The Cosby Show, Rosanne, and 3rd Rock From the Sun were my shows.

Jentleness
06-11-2011, 06:39 AM
I think the best all time sitcom ever was All in the Family. :hello:

Pike
06-11-2011, 06:49 AM
I watched a looooot of Home Improvement. Really the only (live-action) sitcom I got into, aside from I Love Lucy reruns (watched a lot of those also.)

Shorty
06-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Looove NewsRadio. 3rd Rock, Fresh Prince, the first few seasons of Friends, Full House, Kids in the Hall aaand love Seinfeld.
I was never one for Roseanne or Married With Children.

Dr. Katz probably doesn't count as a sitcom, but it's another great 90's show.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
I use to like the Drew Carey show but wayching it recently I dont find it funny anymore. I really like Friends and Seinfeld though I always get depressed towards the end of a series. Just shoot me was good until it went into a real downward spiral when they reused plots, tried introducing a new character and got thier facts crossed.

Shiny
06-11-2011, 09:43 AM
The Cobsy Show first and foremost. Then Boys Meets World, Three's a Company, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Kids in the Hall and My So Called Life. The last one technically wasn't a comedy, but I just think it's funny as hell.

sharkythesharkdogg
06-12-2011, 05:55 AM
I forgot about Wings, MASH and Cheers. How'd I do that?

Yar
06-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Have you ever noticed that almost all the white people on The Cosby Show are like... crazy? xD

Rase
06-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Boy Meets Fucking World. Certain episodes will still make me tear up.

Chris
06-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Me and my brother were the Nanny fanatics. In my opinion, that show is quite possibly the best sitcom ever created. I was also extremely fond of the Golden Girls, Fresh Prince, Roseanne, Married with Children (Marcy Darcy: Jefferson, MOUNT ME! xD), The Royal Family, and Will & Grace, which is not exactly a dinosaur.

...Blossom.

I am not ashamed to admit that I wanted to be Joey Lawrence. I even bought his CD and merrily sang along in the mirror.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Married with Children, speciaifically the era with Steve cause once Jeffereson came into the picture the whole newlywed vs old married dynamic was lost.

Simpsons, I know its still going but the first seasons will always outshine the newer stuff. Simpsons was great until every episode either became about Homer being more ridiculously stupid than usual (seriously watch the series in order, you'll notice his IQ drops significantly with each new season) or about Lisa going off her usual political activism.

I love Kids in the Hall, but that was more of a sketch comedy series so I can't count it. The Critic was a wonderful and poorly received series, but damn if I didn't love it. It still has one of my favorite jokes in television:

A bunch of terrorist are walking into a New York City theater with machine guns and anti-aircraft weapons

Theater employee: Who are you?

Terrorist: Um...we're caterers!

Theater employee: Aren't you a little heavily armed to be caterers?

Terrorist: Um... we took the subway?

Theater Employee: Aren't you a little lightly armed to be taking the subway?

Frasier is good before Miles and Daphne got together but beyond that, I'm not big into sitcoms. I never liked Seinfeld beyond a few episodes, can't stand Roseanne or Coach. 3rd Rock from the sun is mostly hit or miss. Fresh Prince was alright but Family Matters was a little too touchy feely for my taste. Never really watched the Cosby Show.

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
The last episode of Seinfeld was golden.

Del Murder
06-12-2011, 07:46 PM
The last episode of Seinfeld sucked.

charliepanayi
06-12-2011, 08:05 PM
The last episode of Seinfeld sucked.

As much as I love Seinfeld, I have to agree with this, it's a horribly sour finale and all the cameos from past characters can't save it.

DMKA
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
3rd Rock from the Sun, The Cosby Show, Drew Carey, Family Matters, Full House, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Roseanne were avidly watched by me and my family growing up.

I suppose I just never "got" Seinfeld. I've seen most of the series, some episodes multiple times, and I kid you not, it's never made me so much as chuckle. It's just flat out boring and all the humor feels painfully forced. Perhaps it's just not my brand of humor? My aunt and uncle and many of my friends find it hilarious.

Hell even FRIENDS managed to make me laugh a few times, yet not Seinfeld.

Polnareff
06-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Boy Meets World, My Wife and Kids (I think....didn't this show start around 1999 or am I mistaken?), Married.....with Children, Martin, Fresh Prince, Cosby Show, Drew Carey Show, City Guys (pretty underrated IMO), Family Matters, especially when the cast members got a couple years older, The Nanny, Home Improvement, King of Queens, 3rd Rock from the Sun (kept me sane when I was going through a period of no cable TV), I Love Lucy. Just way too many cool TV shows I used to watch.

Though my favorites off that list are definitely Boy Meets World, Family Matters, Home Improvement, My Wife and Kids, 3rd Rock, and The Nanny. :jess:

Jessweeee♪
06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
3rd Rock from the Sun, The Cosby Show, Drew Carey, Family Matters, Full House, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Roseanne were avidly watched by me and my family growing up.

I suppose I just never "got" Seinfeld. I've seen most of the series, some episodes multiple times, and I kid you not, it's never made me so much as chuckle. It's just flat out boring and all the humor feels painfully forced. Perhaps it's just not my brand of humor? My aunt and uncle and many of my friends find it hilarious.

Hell even FRIENDS managed to make me laugh a few times, yet not Seinfeld.

As much as I used to like it, the Seinfeld Is Unfunny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny) phenomenon makes it a bit dull at times.

Peegee
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Fraiser
wait I have that
Saved by the Bell
wait I have that too

I even have family matters :D

but I wanna watch how 'who's the boss' ended :(

Del Murder
06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I can see how people would not find Seinfeld funny these days but I still love watching the old episodes. Probably because I watched them all when they originally aired and can still remember their greatness.

Also any Simpsons episode from the 90s is gold. Pure sweet gold. Forget all the crap of the last 10 years though.

Christmas
05-25-2022, 11:30 AM
Friends? :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
05-25-2022, 05:32 PM
I recently re-watched FRIENDS with my partner who had never seen it. I could see a lot of flaws, although my partner loved it. When I was a kid that was the number one show, and even the silly dramatic cliffhangers felt earth-shaking. It's pretty funny watching it now.

I am also watching Seinfeld for the first ever time. For some reason, it was never really "around" when I was growing up. Overall, I'm really enjoying it. It's lost some steam (im coming towards the end, I think), but no real complaints.

Other than that, I've only seen sporadic episodes of things like Frasier, Malcolm in the Middle, and Cheers, and like them well enough. Just not enough to fully watch and follow. I haven't seen any recent sitcoms that weren't utterly terrible.