PDA

View Full Version : Cats

Shlup
06-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I love cats. I just want them in a basket. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc)

How much do you love cats? Like, do you want to hug them all, even though you know you can't? I do. I want to hug them all. Even the smelly ones.

Laddy
06-11-2011, 03:51 AM
I have a twenty pound cat named Cheddar and I adore him.

Jentleness
06-11-2011, 04:21 AM
:nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles:
*Puts all her cats in a basket and sends them to ShulpQuack*
:nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles::nibbles:

Shoeberto
06-11-2011, 04:21 AM
My Cookie cat is the fattest but I still love her.

Shorty
06-11-2011, 04:22 AM
I love my kitty!

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/demosthynes/IMG_0284.jpg

She always looks angry in pictures though. Cats are awesome.

Leeza
06-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Wow... yes, I love cats a lot. But, oh she's a crazy lady that one is. :cat:

Pike
06-11-2011, 04:41 AM
I really really want a cat. I can't have one because I can't afford to have one. My guinea pig is expensive enough, as is~

One day, though!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Nopenopenopenopenope. Cats are just pure evil. :mad2:

Kittens on the other hand... :love:

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Dogs > cats

Yar
06-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Dogs > catsPretty much. I like dogs because they love to have fun with you and think you're a god and just love you unconditionally. Cats give off the attitude that they're the ones who are the gods, and you should feel lucky that they even let you let them into your house. :|

I still like cats just not as much as dogs. Or ducks. OMG DUCKS

Crop
06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't like cats, dogs are the best.

One time I was playing with my dog and he accidently hurt me and I went "Ow!", he felt so bad he jumped up on me and started licking my face and wagging his tail like he was so sorry. It was really cute.
A cat scratched me once and just looked at me like "I'll do it again in a second".

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I like cats. Not only are they adorable but they're not constantly in your face. Dogs are your best friend whereas cats are just your compatible room mate. They clean up after themselves and every now and then you hang out and be buds. Dogs are messy and needy. I can certainly see why a lot of people prefer dogs to cats, but they're not really for me.

One of my cats has three legs.

escobert
06-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Cats are my favorite animal! I want like 50 cats. I'd totally be an old crazy cat lady xD

Jentleness
06-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't like cats, dogs are the best.

One time I was playing with my dog and he accidently hurt me and I went "Ow!", he felt so bad he jumped up on me and started licking my face and wagging his tail like he was so sorry. It was really cute.
A cat scratched me once and just looked at me like "I'll do it again in a second".

This is only because the cat new you hate cats. I had a little boy cat who was a very loving litte baby which my daugther named Arthur. Every morning Arthur would wake me up a few minutes before my alarm would go off by putting his cold nose against my cheek and purring. Then, once I was awake, we would go together to wake up my daughter. He would jumped up on her bed and start rubbing himself against her until she woke up. One saturday morning he woke me up (because he was too little to understand the concept of "weekend") and he was laying on my chest with his face close to mine and I was petting him and he was purring. Well, I guess I batted my eyes too much because all of a sudden, quick as lightening, Arthur socked me right in the eye (no claws)! I saw stars and I was quite pissed off, since I didn't see it coming (pun is not intended, but makes me giggle) and I turned my sweet baby cat into a catapult and he went flying off the bed! Well, Arthur never had any intention of hurting me, he thought my blinking eyelashes were a new toy. So he climbed up on the bed, and crouching low, with his belly dragging, he crawled toward me purring very loudly and looking very sorry and confused. I did forgive him and he never did it again.

I miss Arthur. I came home from work one Friday night and he was not looking well. I loved him so much that I rushed him to the vet emergency room where I was told that he had been poisoned by antifreeze and the only thing I could do was to put him down to save him from an excruciatingly painful death. Before, I let them take him away to die, I held him close and told him that I loved him and that he was the best kitty I ever knew. :nibbles:

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
My three legged cat would sleep in my room every night except for when she was sick, then she'd be sure my brother woke up with cat boogers all over him. She's my favorite :3

Pike
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, I'm much more of a cat person than a dog person. Unfortunately the household in which I currently reside is very much a dog household. So the dogs and I have this uneasy truce: They don't get anywhere near me, and I don't get anywhere near them!

I can see the appeal of a well-trained dog-- back when I worked at a pet store for years, I saw a lot of really well-trained ones, and I thought it would be neat to have one of those-- but it takes so much work and there are so few that fall into that category; I'd really just rather have a cat. (Also, there is nothing on Earth that smells as bad as my mom's Shih Tzu.)

Laddy
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Dogs = Cats, for me.

Freya
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
The most cast i've had at one time was 8. I now have 4. I love cats. They are cute.

Madame Adequate
06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Cats are the best I've had cats all my life and I adore them <3

Cats effectively teach themselves loads of useful stuff. You don't even need to litter train them, just show it where the thing is. Which isn't to say they don't have piddle wars, but at least when they're doing the RIGHT thing they go in the right place. Meanwhile, dogs cannot even be taught not to eat poop.

Dogs are pretty cool, don't get me wrong, especially big adorable derpy ones. I wouldn't mind a big dog. Tiny yappy ones are awful though. But cats are bro tier; they want to hang out, sleep, get food and fuss, and that's about it. They're soft, cute, and furry, and capable of the most psychopathic acts of violence against even smaller creatures. That's badass. And if I'm sick, the cats all crowd onto the bed to make me feel better. Anyone who thinks cats aren't affectionate clearly doesn't understand cats.

Jentleness
06-11-2011, 09:45 PM

Cats effectively teach themselves loads of useful stuff. You don't even need to litter train them, just show it where the thing is. Which isn't to say they don't have piddle wars, but at least when they're doing the RIGHT thing they go in the right place. Meanwhile, dogs cannot even be taught not to eat poop.

Dogs are pretty cool, don't get me wrong, especially big adorable derpy ones. I wouldn't mind a big dog. Tiny yappy ones are awful though. But cats are bro tier; they want to hang out, sleep, get food and fuss, and that's about it. They're soft, cute, and furry, and capable of the most psychopathic acts of violence against even smaller creatures. That's badass. And if I'm sick, the cats all crowd onto the bed to make me feel better. Anyone who thinks cats aren't affectionate clearly doesn't understand cats.

Truth :hello:

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
How do you cat people feel about declawing your cats?

Bunny
06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't see the point.

I prefer cats because I don't like big slobbery poop-eating retards.

I'm the same way with people, really.

There are a few dogs I wouldn't mind having though. Like:

http://www.dogfacts.org/Siberian-Husky-1.jpg

Jentleness
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
The only issue I have with declawing the cat is that it leaves the poor baby defenseless so you have to be absolutely sure it doesn't get outside where it might need to defend itself. I know there are plenty of people who think it is cruel and not necessary, but as long as a reputable vet does it and does it right, I don't have a problem with it. When I was growing up, my parents had our cats declawed and they were happy, well adjusted, indoor kitties. :hello:

rubah
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Our cats with no front claws seem to defend themselves pretty well, and kill birds, mice, etc

the best thing about lola is when I wake up in the morning and she has crawled into my arms and is cuddling and giving me kisses from time to time

Shoeberto
06-11-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't see the point.

Huskies are eternally puppies, so you have to have a lot of energy for them. But they're also very sweet dogs. I've never seen my sister's dog snap, she's very well potty trained and gets along REALLY well with my nephew. Considering how much he likes to run toy tractors over her feet and tail, I think that's significant.

tl;dr THREAD DERAILMENT LET'S TALK ABOUT DAWGS

NorthernChaosGod
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Huskies are God tier pets.

Hollycat
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I want a cat mansion

Jessweeee♪
06-11-2011, 11:31 PM
How do you cat people feel about declawing your cats?

From what I understand, the human equivalent would be amputating the tips of your fingers where the nail is. Sure they can get along fine, and a some cats wouldn't be hindered by it in a fight at all, but it just seems a little excessive. I'd prefer to just clip their nails every now and then. You can also buy little tips for their claws, but those can turn out badly if the cat rejects them.

Jess
06-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Dogs > Cats.

I went to visit my best friend this week, and she has a tiny weeny new kitty. He's sooo cute, and much nicer than any other kitten/cat I've ever come across. This is due to the fact that he was dumped by mumma-cat in a barn after birth and has been bottlefed since, so I guess he's used to humans.

I couldn't resist playing with him & cuddling him... but I woke up the next day with my eyes stuck together & swollen. I'm allergic to cats.

Laddy
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Napoleons are the new corgis!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s3/Silversun047/WC/Cat%20Pics/napoleon-dwarf-cat-snowflake-standi.jpg

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2011, 12:51 AM

Cat's don't litter train themselves, it's an instinct used to protect them from their predators. Dogs and birds bury food for the same reason cats bury their waste; to prevent predators from getting at them. That's why cat's won't sleep near their litter box and why dogs won't sleep where they defecate.

Just as an example, I didn't have to potty train either of my dogs at all with treats or wee pads or anything, or show them where to go. The older they got the further they'd go to eliminate and then come back. I also live in a very rural area and they go in the woods, but usually by the time they're 12 weeks they will tell you when they need to go.

Also, not all dogs eat poop (corophagia) but the ones that do are either just exhibiting scavenger behavior (all candida are equal parts predator and scavenger,) looking for extra nutrients, hiding their poop so you don't rub their nose in it, or are just plain old pissed off at you. They might also be trying to figure out what someone else is eating. You can prevent corophagia by feeding your pets pineapple. Something in it makes poop taste way bad to them.

The only issue I have with declawing the cat is that it leaves the poor baby defenseless so you have to be absolutely sure it doesn't get outside where it might need to defend itself. I know there are plenty of people who think it is cruel and not necessary, but as long as a reputable vet does it and does it right, I don't have a problem with it. When I was growing up, my parents had our cats declawed and they were happy, well adjusted, indoor kitties. :hello:
Yeah, I think de-clawing is one of the most inhumane things someone can do. It hurts cats for weeks, sometimes for the rest of their lives, it takes away their natural defenses, it makes it more difficult for them to cat things (like jumping way high and rounding corners way fast) and it can make them way mistrustful of people.

People who want their cats to not claw furniture can buy claw towers, clip their cat's nails or.... get over it. lol

I don't see the point.

Huskies are eternally puppies, so you have to have a lot of energy for them. But they're also very sweet dogs. I've never seen my sister's dog snap, she's very well potty trained and gets along REALLY well with my nephew. Considering how much he likes to run toy tractors over her feet and tail, I think that's significant.

tl;dr THREAD DERAILMENT LET'S TALK ABOUT DAWGS
YES LET'S DO Huskies require a lot of friends and attention so when you get a husky, Bunny, get FIVE HUSKIES.

HERE IS A PICTURE OF THOR I LOVE HIM and he loves snow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/MeganTheFeisty/IMG_1197400x300.jpg

Madame Adequate
06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I am sorry but if you have to sabotage something's poop because it's just not unpalatable enough as regular poop, the animal in question is not intelligent, evolution be damned.

Bunny
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I now want a million huskies.

Pike
06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
My parents' dogs are retarded; they poop all over the place. If you don't watch your step, you'll have dogpiles all over your socks at any given moment.

To be fair, though, our cats have always done the exact same thing, so. Maybe my family just sucks at having pets.

I'd like to think I don't, because working at a pet store in the animal care department kind of forces you to know a million different minute facts about a million different animals, but maybe I'm just being egotistical.

Anyways, now that we've hijacked the thread and are talking about dogs, I like medium-sized ones the best. Big ones scare me, and little ones annoy me (and seem to smell worse than the others...)

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I said candida instead of canidae. Candida are mushrooms. herp derp.

Dung beetles eat poop! Some things just like poop! Just like some crazy people like onions. Doesn't make 'em dumb!

I am going to bring Thor to visit MILF. That will be a good day.

Peegee
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't make a big deal out of it if YOU do it, but I would never declaw my cat(s)

i would say something like 'but why?' but it's like male circumcision - everybody does it so it's okay. It doesn't even matter if they don't give good reasons bc argumentum ad populum.

Bunny
06-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Just like some crazy people like onions. Doesn't make 'em dumb!

This is true. The dumb ones are the people who don't like onions.

Melissaur
06-12-2011, 11:07 PM
This thread is depressing... I have a cat. She is love. Her name is Guildenstern. But I am very sad to report that she is dying and there is nothing I can do about it ;_;

CimminyCricket
06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
I really love cats, but I don't think I could live with her xD

"*cry* I'm sorry I was thinking about cats again."

Hollycat
06-13-2011, 03:50 AM
Monkey cannons

I hijacked your thread.

Loony BoB
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Enough of the intentional and sometimes spammy/stupid derailing.

Anyways.

Cats are awesome. Tudy was awesome. Heidy was awesome. Bob was awesome. Midnight was awesome. I really, really wish cats lived longer.

Smitzy is awesome. It's the first time I've had an indoor cat and she's full of energy and fight, so on regular occasions we will have to play with her in order to keep her energy levels balanced. Sometimes she'll manage to do it herself, though, getting what some people refer to as the "midnight crazies" where she bounds from one end of the flat to another, sort of treating it like an obstacle course. You'll be sitting there and suddenly ZOOM! Smitzy will speed from another room, onto your chair, off it, around other furniture and out of the room again. About a second or two will have passed. xD She's nuts. She adores attacking our shadows and does not like it when we take her on trips outside. She isn't great with 'new people' though, any visitors can lead to her getting very frightened. We nicknamed her "Catface" based on my work colleague at the time constantly referring to her as that when we first got her. It suck. She doesn't like cuddles, but she adores being scratched anywhere around her neck. When we come home, she greets us and hangs around with us for a while. When we have food, she won't stop rubbing against our legs. She's an incredibly messy eater and likes to sit in front of my keyboard so I have to put my arms around her to type on it.

EDIT: I'm really sorry about Guildenstern's situation, Melissa. I remember when Bob was on his last legs and I'd not seen him for about six year or so at the time. It was very hard for me as while he was a cat for all the family, he was given to me as a kid and I'd grown up with him. He lived 19 years, and I'm proud of him for lasting so long, but yeah, I took it badly as more than any of my family and friends, I always missed Bob the most when I left NZ as he felt like a child to me almost... and I knew that unless I got back fast enough, I'd never see him again. And I didn't get back fast enough. I still feel bad about it even today. =/

Jessweeee♪
06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Fun fact: Cats only make the meow sound (not to be confused with that low "mrrrrooooooowwwww" it makes when scaring off another cat) to communicate with humans. It's intended to sound like a human baby's cry!

Loony BoB
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Fun fact: Cats only make the meow sound (not to be confused with that low "mrrrrooooooowwwww" it makes when scaring off another cat) to communicate with humans. It's intended to sound like a human baby's cry!
It's not exclusive to humans, but it's used towards humans far more than to other cats. Examples of other use (outside of regular cat-to-cat 'conversations' which are very rare indeed) are between mother and kittens and when a cat is in distress (eg. stuck in a hole)... although you could argue that the latter is intended for humans, I suppose. But mostly it comes from the "Mum, I need something!" or "Mum, I want attention!" that kittens give their mother, and on occasion their mother will give to them (in a "Come here, you dumbass kid!" way). I guess it stems from cats viewing us as a parent.

NorthernChaosGod
06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Our cat does that a lot.

Jiro
06-14-2011, 05:47 AM
I like cats when they aren't killing my wildlife. I like to take photos of the kittens at pet stores and use them as blackmail against my girlfriend.

Citizen Bleys
06-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Cats are a guaranteed moneymaker (http://27bslash6.com/guaranteed.html)

Madame Adequate
06-14-2011, 07:06 PM
This may be somewhat against my usual grain, but there occasions when dogs are seriously awesome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby).

CimminyCricket
06-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I guess it stems from cats viewing us as a parent.

I actually think my Siamese thinks she's the parent. When I still lived with my parents she use to sleep with me (when I was younger, I eventually got too tall) and she'd bathe me. I don't think children cats give their parents full on baths.

Wolf Kanno
06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/Wolf0Kanno/134.jpg

My little kitty and he even has my scowl :love:

He was the runt of the litter so I gave him a big name:
Schtolteheim Reinbach III

Jiro
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah, because a name like that doesn't present the cat with a complex about being as awesome as his name or anything.

Loony BoB
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I guess it stems from cats viewing us as a parent.

I actually think my Siamese thinks she's the parent. When I still lived with my parents she use to sleep with me (when I was younger, I eventually got too tall) and she'd bathe me. I don't think children cats give their parents full on baths.
I know brothers and sisters give each other baths as we had two cats from the same litter and they would do that on occasion. But rarely, because they were more often than not pissy at each other. xD But yeah, it can happen if the cats are actually able to tolerate one another.

Rantz
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
I know brothers and sisters give each other baths

I forgot what thread I was in shortly prior to reading that, and was like :erm:

Pike
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
A bit of a long story about how one time we had cats that really did view us (my family and myself) as parents...

One of our cats (we still have her, she's an old crotchety thing by now! >:3 ) had a couple of litters of kittens before we had her spayed. The first time, she raised them alright, but the second litter she essentially abandoned entirely. We had no idea why, she just refused to show any sort of interest in them.

So, we stepped in and hand-raised those kittens from birth up til they were ready to go away to new homes. We took turns bottle-feeding them with kitten formula round the clock, including in the middle of the night; we kept them in a nice warm box with blankets in it, and several times a day we'd give them a full on "bath" with a warm washcloth like their mom should have done with her tongue.

It was a lot of work, but DANG those were some cute kittens.

I think they grew up alright in spite of it all. They all ended up going to good homes. I'm sure some of them are still around today.