PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill Games/Movies/Music

re1nv3nt
06-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Okay. If you like Silent Hill, which is your favorite game and/or what is your favorite piece of music or soundtrack from the series?

And, with the impending arrival of the new Silent Hill Revelations movie, what did people think of the first movie?

Silent Hill (2006) Trailer - No Spoilers (http://youtu.be/0iBSosRwPwQ)

For music, I have to say the Silent Hill theme/intro song (from SH1 - 1998) is not only the most iconic piece of the series, it also has a nice build-up and is one of the most powerful themes.

I haven't played through SH2 or 3 yet (will do soon!), so I'm wondering which one people generally say is their favorite?

Levian
06-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Not Tomorrow
Theme of Laura
Promise

Theme of Laura (reprise) and Promise (reprise) are also nice tracks. All the industrial noisy tracks are awesome and mood setting as well, but unlike those I listed above, they're not tracks I'd listen to even when I'm not playing a Silent Hill game. :D

I don't really care about the movie(s), but I love the games and I've finished 'em all and most of them multiple times.

General consensus is that Silent Hill 2 is the best Silent Hill, but really, I think they're all pretty great. Silent Hill 5 had its weaknesses, but it wasn't a bad game at all. Shattered Memories is pretty awesome as well, underrated game.

Pheesh
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM
I actually loved the movie and the soundtrack (although basically all Silent Hill music is awesome). Theme of Laura is an awesome song, as is Dance with the Night Wind.

Haven't really played any of the games in a long time, last one I remember playing is 'the room', and before that I was so young that they all scared the absolute :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me. I'll have to pick them up again.

Dreddz
06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
YouTube - ‪Silent Hill 2 OST - White Noiz‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS6HX2m-HNY)

I tend to prefer some of the more atmospheric music from the series than the main themes most people are familiar with. I remember hearing White Noiz when I first put in SH2 and I knew the game was going to be something special. Sets the tone perfectly. Not just for SH2, but the entire series.

Oh and SH2 is hands down the best in the series. Followed by the very unappreciated SH4.

Shiny
06-17-2011, 05:23 AM
My favorite in the series is Silent Hill 2 storyline wise. Game play wise, I would have to go with Silent Hill 3. If I were to rank them it would probably be something like this:

1. Silent Hill 2
2. Silent Hill 3
3. Silent Hill 4: The Room
4. Silent Hill

The movie was mediocre although it stayed true to elements of the game like the music, some of the characters, mise-en-scene, and especially the monsters. I didn't like the fact that the monsters were so secondary to the actual story when so much of the game is basically battling your way through your own hell. With the movie, they changed the sex of Harry and then had a woman basically run around helpless -- barely interacting with what was going on until half way through the movie. Even so it was still one of the best game to movie adaptations which isn't saying much since so many game to movie adaptations are horrible, Uwe Boll.

I love a alot songs from all of the Silent Hills 1-4. If I had to choose one, I'd definitely have to go with Silent Hill 3 because I think Please Love Me Once More is probably my favorite song out of all of them. Though this (http://youtu.be/jdi-LFM6Ym8) from SH2 I've always found incredibly badass.

CimminyCricket
06-17-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't really play too much of the Silent Hill games. I'm not very good at games like that, but I really love watching people play them! My favourite song is the opening for 3. I dunno what it's called or who the lady who sings it is, but to hell if I don't youtube it once a month. xD

re1nv3nt
06-18-2011, 12:35 AM
All - I'm also finding Alex's Theme (http://youtu.be/dfTMShSBNug) a very special song. I can't wait to experience all this music in-game.

Levian,

For me, it was the movie and the music that brought me to the Silent Hill series in the first place. When SH1 came out for the original PlayStation in 1998, I was 10. I didn't have a PS at the time and my parents would never have let me play it at that age, haha.

eternal essence,

I like your name. Yeah, I liked the movie also. It was very intense and surreal. And the music really adds to the atmosphere. That sort of stuff intrigues me.

Dreddz,

I love the atmospheric stuff as well. I basically picked the Silent Hill theme for its iconic-ness -- and I love its build-up and ending. White Noiz is excellent. I can't wait to start SH2. I'm in the middle of FF4 right now, but SH2 is my next venture.

Shiny,

Yeah, I'm basically getting the idea that SH2, 3, and 4 are the stars of the series. I will check out those songs you mentioned. I go through music very slowly.

Cim,

The opening for SH3? Is the song you're thinking of "You're Not Here" ?

magemasher
06-24-2011, 08:16 PM
I could watch someone play silent hill or resident evil all day but as for playing them I never had the nerve. I like the film, it has Sean Bean in it.

Depression Moon
06-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I saw the film and I liked it for the most part. I heard it wasn't entirely faithful as I heard the 1st game had the husband in the Silent Hill zone. I just realized the last time I watched it like a week or two ago that the female cop was in both The Mist and the Walking Dead. She loves them monster movies/shows.