PDA

View Full Version : Oh my Rowling!

Freya
06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh JK what are you doing?

Pottermore.com (http://www.pottermore.com/)is some new thing JK is setting up. But what is it?

The site, Pottermore.com, is a new project for the "Harry Potter" author, spokeswoman Rebecca Salt said Thursday. The site is "not a new book" and "not directly related" to the final Potter movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," which comes out next month, she said.
"We aren't saying any more than that!" Salt said.
"Pottermore" was trademarked in 2009 by Warner Bros., which distributes the Potter movies. The trademark description of Pottermore suggests an interactive site "providing on-line chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards" and "on-line facilities for real-time interaction with other computer users concerning topics of general interest."
The site itself reveals little beyond a scrawled message from the author that reads "Coming soon ...". Rowling already has a personal website, at J.K.Rowling Official Site - Harry Potter and more (http://www.jkrowling.com).
Pottermore.com also has a Twitter account, twitter.com/pottermore, and a YouTube countdown clock, which projects an author announcement for early Thursday, June 23.
News of Pottermore.com emerged Wednesday night with messages sent to nine Potter fan sites and an official Potter Twitter account. Each site received one letter, the letters spelling out "pottermore." A leading Potter fan site, http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org, alleges that it has seen "a preview of Pottermore and it is, in a word, breathtaking."
"That is all we are permitted to say at the moment."

From yahoo news (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110616/ap_on_en_ot/us_books_rowling;_ylt=ArwE0RMwqFcX2lv2qQGfhOJxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTJsOGo3YXFsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNjE2L3Vz X2Jvb2tzX3Jvd2xpbmcEcG9zAzYEc2VjA3luX2FydGljbGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNqa3Jvd2xpbmdoYXM-)

There's a youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces)too that gives a countdown.

WHAT ARE YOU UP TO ROWLING?!

Bunny
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I bet you it has something to do with :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty writing.

Shlup
06-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I bet you it makes her millions of dollars.

Bunny
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
That just means people are stupid, not that she's any good.

Good for her though, capitalizing on the stupidity of others.

Freya
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Mr. Professor Doctor Bunnikins, YOU TAKE THAT BACK! :mad2:

Shlup
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't know, I haven't read the books. I like the movies though.

Bunny
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Mr. Professor Doctor Bunnikins, YOU TAKE THAT BACK! :mad2:

Fine, sorry. She's a bad person for capitalizing on the stupidity of others.

Laddy
06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm glad to see Bunny is still trying to troll. Quite humorous.

Bunny
06-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm glad to see that most people still misuse the word troll in association with me. It's quite humorous.

Psst. Trolls deliberately say things they don't believe in order to get a reaction from certain individuals. I have never once said something that I did not actually believe. Not my fault I speak my mind instead of candy coating my lies to make everyone feel like happy balls of sunshine.

Laddy
06-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Great. Then you're just silly, then.

Pheesh
06-17-2011, 04:59 AM
Lol, no one cares that you don't like J.K. Rowling, bunny.

I doubt this will be anything interesting though, if anything she'll probably use this to announce a new book she's writing (not Harry Potter). It better not be a Harry Potter book, at least. Because the appeal of that series was growing up with the characters and the gradual maturing and eventual dark direction they took the series in. We got the books, the next batch of kids got the movies (poor bastards), to just throw him into adulthood or something else would be pointless. If it's a new book then I'll see what it's about and then decide if I want to read it (even though I'll probably end up reading it anyway -_-)

rubah
06-17-2011, 05:03 AM
It'll be the "Scottish Book" which isn't to say, a potter encyclopedia.

Freya
06-17-2011, 05:06 AM
It's not a new book. Watch it be some online multi-player game.

Shiny
06-17-2011, 05:07 AM
He's just bitter because she's making that cash money. J.K. Rowling definitely isn't Chaucer, but she's not Stephanie Myer either. She can write well enough for the age group she is writing for and is lucky that her literature has translated well to film$.

Pheesh
06-17-2011, 05:11 AM
A Harry Potter mmo would be blegh, and I doubt JK Rowling would have this big a role in the marketing if it didn't have something to do with literature.

Del Murder
06-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm glad to see that most people still misuse the word troll in association with me. It's quite humorous.

Psst. Trolls deliberately say things they don't believe in order to get a reaction from certain individuals. I have never once said something that I did not actually believe. Not my fault I speak my mind instead of candy coating my lies to make everyone feel like happy balls of sunshine.
Maybe you should check your definition. It doesn't matter if you believe it or not. Saying something to get other people mad is trolling. If you still don't think it's trolling then how about this word: dickhead. Don't be a dickhead.

You don't have to lie. Just don't post in threads where you only have mean, unconstructinve things to say. You are basically calling Rowling's fans, many of which include children, stupid, which is not only mean it is untrue. So stop it or you will not be able to post here any longer.

Back on subject, I'm wondering if she will do another set of Harry Potter books based on the children of the characters in the first books. I do think the series was more magical when they were kids and weren't suffering from teen angst/pressure to save the world.

The Captain
06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I just hope this isn't just an announcement that the Extended Edition of the Books is coming out, like George Lucas loves to do every few years.

Take care all.

Goldenboko
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I just hope this isn't just an announcement that the Extended Edition of the Books is coming out, like George Lucas loves to do every few years.

Take care all.

Now the books are with 30% more CGI!

Rocket Edge
06-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I just wish she could stop bouncing from one thing to another and get down to what she does best - writing. I'm still gonna check this out though.

The Captain
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Now the books are with 30% more CGI!

Or we get the lost chapters involving Professor of Linguistics Jar Jar Binks!

Take care all.

blackmage_nuke
06-23-2011, 01:01 PM
It sounds like a fanfiction site

DMKA
06-23-2011, 03:56 PM
J.K. Rowling unveils details of mysterious Potter site (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43507275/ns/today-books/t/jk-rowling-unveils-details-mysterious-potter-site/?gt1=43001)

Turns out it's just a site for distribution of the books as e-books/audio books, with a few little new tidbits thrown in for good measure.

Lame.

Del Murder
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
What the hell? They weren't already in e-book form? That was stupid.

Freya
06-23-2011, 04:48 PM
They aren't in eBook form, she's been hoarding them. She's also going to do something with the books, something about reliving the entire series with the involvement of the readers. I expect something like going through getting community art and stuff. I dunno i'm still a bit lost. Check her announcement video it's pretty cool actually.

YouTube - ‪JKRowlingAnnounces's Channel‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces)

Miriel
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
J.K. Rowling unveils details of mysterious Potter site (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43507275/ns/today-books/t/jk-rowling-unveils-details-mysterious-potter-site/?gt1=43001)

Turns out it's just a site for distribution of the books as e-books/audio books, with a few little new tidbits thrown in for good measure.

Lame.

It's a bit more than a few new tidbits. It's a whole interactive site for fans.

"In the new website, the storyline will be brought to life with sumptuous newly-commissioned illustrations and interactive ‘Moments’ through which you can navigate, starting with the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s (Sorcerer’s) Stone. On entering, you choose a magic username and begin your experience. As you move through the chapters, you can read and share exclusive writing from J.K. Rowling, and, just as Harry joins Hogwarts, so can you. You visit Diagon Alley, get sorted into a house, cast spells and mix potions to help your house compete for the House Cup.

At a press conference at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London, Rowling revealed some key features of the website. In an announcement which will thrill fans, she described how she has brought to life both the Sorting Hat and Ollivanders experiences from her books for the first time on Pottermore, by revealing the questions asked by the Sorting Hat - which places newcomers into their Hogwarts houses according to their characteristics - and the magic behind the Wand Chooser – which finds the right wand for each user from over 33,000 possible combinations. She also revealed glimpses of the new information she has provided on some of the best-loved characters."

"From Professor McGonagall's love for a Muggle as a young woman, to how the Dursleys met; from new information about Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff houses, to details about wand wood, the fresh Potter background from the author already stretches to 18,000 words, with more to come."

If I were 10 years younger, I would be all over this new site. But being in my mid-20s, I am only mildly interested. Still wouldn't mind seeing what questions there are for the sorting. :D

The Captain
06-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Ironically, it IS kind of like a Harry Potter MMO.

I guess people will be interested to learn the new tidbits on the characters, but I don't see why there needed to be all this hype and build up for it.

Take care all.

Del Murder
06-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh, well that sounds pretty cool then! For die-hard Potter fans, which I am not, but still better than 'hey we gots e-books'. ;)

Jessweeee♪
06-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Pretty nifty!

blackmage_nuke
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM
"In the new website, the storyline will be brought to life with sumptuous newly-commissioned illustrations and interactive ‘Moments’ through which you can navigate, starting with the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s (Sorcerer’s) Stone. On entering, you choose a magic username and begin your experience. As you move through the chapters, you can read and share exclusive writing from J.K. Rowling, and, just as Harry joins Hogwarts, so can you. You visit Diagon Alley, get sorted into a house, cast spells and mix potions to help your house compete for the House Cup.

At a press conference at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London, Rowling revealed some key features of the website. In an announcement which will thrill fans, she described how she has brought to life both the Sorting Hat and Ollivanders experiences from her books for the first time on Pottermore, by revealing the questions asked by the Sorting Hat - which places newcomers into their Hogwarts houses according to their characteristics - and the magic behind the Wand Chooser – which finds the right wand for each user from over 33,000 possible combinations. She also revealed glimpses of the new information she has provided on some of the best-loved characters."

"From Professor McGonagall's love for a Muggle as a young woman, to how the Dursleys met; from new information about Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff houses, to details about wand wood, the fresh Potter background from the author already stretches to 18,000 words, with more to come."

By the sounds of it it's more like a choose your adventure novel online like that eoff hauted house thing we had (have?)

Rebellious Eagle
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I swear to God they were e-books a long time ago.
Rowling should apologize for riling up her fans for such a lame site. D: