PDA

View Full Version : IPA question

Peegee
06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
http://i56.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/qzkccn.jpg

Mirage
06-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Irish Pale Ale?

u trollin?

Peegee
06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Irish Pale Ale?

u trollin?

India Pale Ale

I've never tried Irish PA

Shoeberto
06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
lol, I've never heard of an Irish Pale Ale.

Never been too keen on the I(ndia)PAs I've tried either.

Also wut

Peegee
06-17-2011, 07:57 PM
>I pronounce them differently. I think eyes would be /ai:z/ and ice /ais/

somebody confirm plox. I think I have the answer

rubah
06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I can confirm /smug

Peegee
06-17-2011, 09:19 PM
I can confirm /smug

man that /smug is so relevant

other than 'rubahs'

Big D
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM
I saw the thread title and wondered "wtf why does Peegee need help with India Pale Ale?"

The difference between 'ice' and 'eyes' for me is the S sound. 'Ice' has a long, kind of sibilant hiss. 'Eyes' has a distinctly z-like sound. Or to put it differently, the end of 'eyes' is like the start of 'zoo', whereas the end of 'ice' is like the start of 'circle'.

Fynn
06-18-2011, 10:14 AM

The diphthong is the same. As in /aɪ/. The difference lies in the consonant - "ice" has a voiceless /s/, while "eyes" has a voiced /z/ at the end.

NorthernChaosGod
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM

That sounds pretty similar to how I pronounce them.

aquatius
06-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Eyes is /aIz/ (yeah I'm gonna use x-sampa) but you could argue it as /aI:z/ as vowels get semi-lengthened before voiced consonants.

rubah
06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
depends on accent, as well

Fynn
06-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Eyes is /aIz/ (yeah I'm gonna use x-sampa) but you could argue it as /aI:z/ as vowels get semi-lengthened before voiced consonants.

But technically, diphthongs are always long and the length influenced by voicing/devoicing is not present in phonetic transcriptions. I believe that's reserved for phonemic ones, but those ones are harder and I don't know what the symbols for that would be.
And one more thing. It's hard to note where exactly the vowel would be prolonged, since diphthongs are treated as one sound, that is a sort of blend of two vowels. So you can't just prolong the /ɪ/, then it would be like /ə'iːz/, and I doubt anyone pronounces "eyes" that was.

D'oh, now I've become all ranty. Curse my phonetic nerdiness!

aquatius
06-18-2011, 09:49 PM

But technically, diphthongs are always long and the length influenced by voicing/devoicing is not present in phonetic transcriptions. I believe that's reserved for phonemic ones, but those ones are harder and I don't know what the symbols for that would be.
And one more thing. It's hard to note where exactly the vowel would be prolonged, since diphthongs are treated as one sound, that is a sort of blend of two vowels. So you can't just prolong the /ɪ/, then it would be like /ə'iːz/, and I doubt anyone pronounces "eyes" that was.

Don't diphthongs contrast in length in Dutch?

Fynn
06-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Don't diphthongs contrast in length in Dutch?
Can't really say. I don't speak Dutch ;) I know they're all long in English.

I Took the Red Pill
06-21-2011, 11:22 AM
wow who would've thought we all pronounce these words the same. really makes u think