PDA

View Full Version : Who's excited for Catherine? (Demo out!)

Rowan
06-18-2011, 01:40 AM
The latest game in the shin megami tensei series looks as if its going to give players a new spin on gaming. It looks spectacular. Does anyone have any expectations of this game? I personally dont know too much about it even though it has been out in japan for a few months already. We should be expecting it mid july, right after my birthday(not hinting anything friends and family , haha)

Who will be getting this game and what are your expectations?

Shlup
06-18-2011, 01:54 AM
People keep assuming I'm excited for this, but even after I watched the trailer I still don't get it. I think it's fairly likely that I'll enjoy it once I finally get my hands on it, and may even love it, but what I've seen has just confused me.

Jessweeee♪
06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
I think I'll enjoy this game, but my excitement is dampened by the fact that I'll have no means of playing it when it's released. :(

Plot: Vincent has been dating this chick Katherine for a few years, and she wants to get married. But Vincent's all like, "man I don't know I dig you and all but marriage?" and then he meets Catherine and she's all super young and interesting and he sleeps with her, and then feels super awful about it. And to top it off, a bunch of men have been dying in their sleep in some really weird unexplainable way after cheating on their significant others. Dun dun duuuunnn.

The gameplay confuses me a bit. Looks like block puzzles of some sort. I heard drinking alcohol is important.

Rostum
06-18-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm not too interested. Plenty of other games I need to save money to get.

Mirage
06-18-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm probably going to get it, but I don't usually go around being actively excited for games.

Levian
06-18-2011, 03:31 AM
the gameplay and story seem a bit disconnected from the little I've seen. Maybe this just should've been a movie rather than a movie where you jump around cubes during intermissions?

Wolf Kanno
06-18-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm pretty stoked. I've already pre-ordered it. The puzzle sections look challenging and absolutely bizarre, but I'm more intrigued by the "social" game side where you have to make choices and your decisions begin to effect what your answers are going to be depending on whether you keep certain types of decisions.

I'm with a few people who feel that Cathrine is showcasing a test run on some of the ideas the team will use for Persona 5. Besides, the game looks funny as hell. :D

Jiro
06-18-2011, 04:46 AM
I heard drinking alcohol is important.
In game or out?

Alternate response: Sold!

Pheesh
06-18-2011, 04:54 AM
I heard drinking alcohol is important.
In game or out?

Alternate response: Sold!

Both, of course.

Yeah, I'll be getting this game, it looks like both the gameplay and the story will be quite fun.

Jessweeee♪
06-18-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm with a few people who feel that Cathrine is showcasing a test run on some of the ideas the team will use for Persona 5. Besides, the game looks funny as hell. :D

Yeah, I feel like this game is just Atlus trying out what they can do graphically, and possibly getting a feel of how their audiences react to more mature themes and characters. It looks very promising.

Dreddz
06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Its being made by the Persona team so I'm curious to see how it turns out. Still have a hard time grasping what the game is about though. Then again I haven't checked it out since the initial trailers.

Polnareff
06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Way more interested in Persona 5, so I'll just wait for that.

Jessweeee♪
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
New video telling us a little more about Catherine and Katherine! YouTube - ‪Catherine: Catherine or Katherine?‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FjqieajyY)

Madonna
06-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Pre-ordered because Atlus has a tendency to do awesome things. Plus, I get to finally wear boxers with hearts on them; one more thing off my list.

DMKA
06-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty stoked. I've already pre-ordered it. The puzzle sections look challenging and absolutely bizarre, but I'm more intrigued by the "social" game side where you have to make choices and your decisions begin to effect what your answers are going to be depending on whether you keep certain types of decisions.

According to Japan the game is super hard, even on the lower difficulty settings.

Do want.

Mirage
06-23-2011, 12:38 AM
real hard or pretend hard?

Jessweeee♪
06-23-2011, 08:29 PM
It's Atlus :|

Laddy
06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
I want it.

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2011, 03:28 AM
real hard or pretend hard?

Atlus Hard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ThatOneBoss/Atlus)

Mirage
06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
And is that real hard or pretend hard?

Wolf Kanno
06-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I'd say real hard.:p

Mirage
06-25-2011, 03:46 AM
well I don't really agree with atlus hard always meaning real hard. Sometimes it is just bullpoop-hard

Wolf Kanno
06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
If you think about it, most actual hard games are bullshit hard. Atlus titles are just more up front about it. :D

Mirage
06-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Yes, that is a problem.

champagne supernova
07-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Catherine - PS3 - IGN (http://ps3.ign.com/objects/083/083913.html) - if you don't know what this game is about.

So this game is apparently out at the end of the month. And IGN are foaming at the mouth/jizzing in their pants in excitement for it. Last game they were this excited was LA Noire or that shooter when North Korea invades America. So not going to take much stock from it.

Anyway, I am interested in this game, but I don't know if I'd buy it. I mean, it looks cool and the concept sounds interesting and the story is more real than most/all video games, but I would feel very uncomfortable if someone walked in while I was playing it.

Jessweeee♪
07-12-2011, 02:03 AM
I totally know what you mean. When I was living in a dorm I stopped a playthrough of P4 at Rise's dungeon xD

(Also merging this thread with the other Catherine thread.)

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELNxOzcVpw

Wolf Kanno
07-17-2011, 02:15 AM
Played the demo and I really enjoyed it. The "Boss" fight was intense and even easy mode is pretty brutal. The wackiness of the game is just what I imagined it would be and I love the main menu screen.

Pete for President
07-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Anyway, I am interested in this game, but I don't know if I'd buy it. I mean, it looks cool and the concept sounds interesting and the story is more real than most/all video games, but I would feel very uncomfortable if someone walked in while I was playing it.

Agreed. The game looks very unique in gameplay, story and setting, and I always dig surrealistic twists. On the other hand though, something just screams; awkward dating story, beware of the cringe.

Depression Moon
07-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Played the demo and I really enjoyed it. The "Boss" fight was intense and even easy mode is pretty brutal. The wackiness of the game is just what I imagined it would be and I love the main menu screen.

boss fight?

Jessweeee♪
07-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I want to play the demo! Also I think that baby thing is the boss.

Depression Moon
07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I didn't fight any baby in the demo let alone anything.

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2011, 02:44 AM
The "Boss battle" is when the gnarled hands are coming after you. Instead of just worrying about the floor collapsing on you, you now have to deal with an entity trying to stab you with a fork (I'm not even making that up) but it does get taken out when you reach the exit. Its technically a boss fight but I put it in quotations cause its not what people typically imagine a boss fight is like.

Mirage
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I was surprised to find out that the game seems to be entirely a puzzle game.

Also in response to my own earlier post, this game could actually be actual-hard, not just fake hard like some other atlus games, simply because the game relies on making good decisions very quickly.

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
I remembered today that my brother has an Xbox and won't be leaving for Iowa for a couple of weeks. I played the demo and it was great! Even better than I was expecting, and my hopes were pretty high. Now I'm sad because I'm not gonna have an Xbox :<

Mirage
07-21-2011, 02:19 AM
I also think maybe the game is a bit of a rip off at 60 bucks. It seems like the gameplay is a bit of an after thought. Even if it is a bit catchy, it feels like they could have done something a lot more interesting.

Agent Proto
07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
I love how OmegaEvolution is already uploading videos of him playing the demo on Youtube. <3

&#x202a;omegaevolution's Channel&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/omegaevolution#grid/user/B01CA57CC88FA72C)

NorthernChaosGod
08-01-2011, 09:56 AM
One of my good friends has this and has racked up like 25 hours of play time on it already. I've watched a bunch and it looks really good! I want to play it. :(

black orb
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
>>> Is this a dating sim or something??.. :confused:
The box art is so unpleasant to the eye that it make me hate it already..:luca:

Jessweeee♪
08-11-2011, 12:02 AM
>>> Is this a dating sim or something??.. :confused:
The box art is so unpleasant to the eye that it make me hate it already..:luca:

It's a puzzle game mostly. I think between puzzles you make dialogue choices and stuff like that that align you more towards Katherine, Vincent's girlfriend of five years who wants commitment, or Catherine, a fun young girl he meets at the start of the game. The story examines all of the things we fear as we become an adult, commitment, babies, aging etc. So uh, it's kind of a dating sim, but it's not really an erotic thing and it's much more involved than say, Persona social links.

Shiny
08-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Let me guess, Catherine and Katherine are actually the same person. FIGHT CLUB. ORRRR, there really is no Catherine, it's all in his head. A BEAUTIFUL MIND. If these movies are now spoiled for you, too bad. They're old now and also amazing so still check them out. Why are their stacks of boxes/cube things though? That's kinda lame. This guy is clearly having nightmares + wet dreams or some ish. I think I will pass on this game.

NorthernChaosGod
08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Neither of those is right.

Shiny
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Well in THAT case...yeah I'm still not playing it.

NorthernChaosGod
08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Okay.