PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid 3DS Stylus

Skyblade
06-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, so far, I am really enjoying the 3DS. It is a lovely little system. But whoever designed the stylus needs to roll over and die in a fire. Why the heck did they put it in one of the least accessible parts of the system? What was wrong with the placement it had on the DS? The right hand side was the perfect location. It was ready and accessible any time I wanted it. Most players are right handed, and it was designed with that in mind.

Now the stupid 3DS has it on the left hand side, on top. To get it out the few times I actually want to use the stupid thing (mostly to push buttons that should just be physical buttons anyway), I have to stop playing, and spend way longer doing what took me a moment to do before. I don't want to hold the stupid thing in my hand the whole time, since I am gaming using the damn buttons, but it is so inconvenient and immersion breaking to fetch that that is the only option left to me.

I am seriously unhappy about this design flaw. :(

Iceglow
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
The 3DS stylus is one of the best design choices for it. No questions. Seriously the collapsing stylus gives better length and functionality and it's not hard to get at I can flick mine up and access it using just one finger.

NeoCracker
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
The problem isn't the stylus location, but the fact you're reaching for a stylus mid game. Why the hell would you design a game that makes you do that?

blackmage_nuke
06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
doesnt one only use thumbs for keys+dpad and index fingers for shoulderbuttons? arent the other three fingers under the ds doing nothing? cant they be used to hold the stylus up against the base of the ds while you play?

Jessweeee♪
06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm still mad 'cause I cant find a decent stylus for the original bulky gray DS :nonono:

Jiro
06-22-2011, 04:30 AM
I have a spare one if you want Jess :p

Old Manus
06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I suppose you'd have to lie pretty close to a fire in order to roll over and die in one. I'll ask Gandalf

Bolivar
06-22-2011, 05:08 PM
The problem isn't the stylus location, but the fact you're reaching for a stylus mid game. Why the hell would you design a game that makes you do that?

Well I like games that let you use both, like FFIII or Pokemon HG/SS, and for certain things, like item sorting, the stylus is a lot quicker than using buttons.

So I sympathize totally with what Skyblade is talking about, I loved how on my DS lite it's so easy to flick out the stylus near-instantaneously in order to use it real quick then put it away.

Overall, there's so many things that are a nightmare about the 3DS, it really feels like a horribly rushed product. I guess using "nightmare" to describe not being able to use your stylus quickly enough is an overstatement, but... yeah.

TrollHunter
06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
I suppose you'd have to lie pretty close to a fire in order to roll over and die in one. I'll ask Gandalf

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr6--o7tLSKanBxPEqc3iDRH1G32eXIbTELJ1oIZJWUtAFeBOL

I've actually been wondering if I should get a psp or a 3ds for my birthday in a few weeks. I already have a ds so I feel that it's a waste

Bolivar
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I've actually been wondering if I should get a psp or a 3ds for my birthday in a few weeks. I already have a ds so I feel that it's a waste

The 3DS could have a really killer holiday this year. But it's also a lot of the same games we've already bought multiple times.

PSP has had a good line-up over the last 12 months (Tactics Ogre, Gods Eater Burst, Dissidia 012, Valkyria Chronicles II, Ghost of Sparta, MGS Peace Walker), but that may also be a waste considering the backwards compatible PlayStation Vita is coming out.

Either way, you'll have access to some great games.

TrollHunter
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Oh, thank you for the information regarding that. I think I may hold out on asking for expensive gifts and I may wait for the Vita, because that looks nice from what I've seen.

Rostum
06-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Hopefully they come out with a "lite" version and fix all these little quirks.

Jiro
06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
How long before the titles get too ridiculous? This is the Nintendo 3DS carbon lite plus!

TrollHunter
06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
What's bad is that... I wouldn't be surprised if that name was eventually used.

Roto13
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Extend the stylus and rest it in the holder without pushing it all the way down. Or do what I do and just rest it between your middle and index fingers.

Skyblade
07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Extend the stylus and rest it in the holder without pushing it all the way down. Or do what I do and just rest it between your middle and index fingers.

I eventually wound up doing that, but I still prefer the DS Lite's holder location.

One other really stupid design flaw: The analog stick. I mean, ok, it's a nifty, responsive device, but you really should have stolen Sony's concept here and had it be a textured analog stick. My thumb never slipped on the PSP's analog stick, but the 3DS's stick is very slippery, which gets really annoying while on timed things (like the race against Ingo at Lon Lon Ranch).