PDA

View Full Version : How do you change subtitles on video files?

*Laurelindo*
06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I like messing around with this for movies where I don't understand the language, but I can't remember how to do it.
Can anyone explain, please?

Also is it possible to save several separate subtitle files so I don't need to touch the original?

Peegee
06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
What file format? You should be able to embed srt files in MKV files. inb4 MKV fail

For srt file the contents look something like this (toy story 3 subs)

00:01:08,485 --> 00:01:10,653
Soldi, soldi, soldi!

00:01:17,494 --> 00:01:20,204
Hai un appuntamento con la giustizia,
Bart il Guercio.

00:01:20,497 --> 00:01:23,207
Peccato sceriffo, sono sposato.

00:01:25,377 --> 00:01:26,419
Betty la Guercia!

So you see that the subtitles are numbered, and it shows a timestamp. it goes HH:MM:SS,SSS

Hope this gets you started. If you have more questions lemme know.

*Laurelindo*
06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Thank you.
I normally use Windows Media Player, and there are some folders like "Archives", "Show", "Play", "Tools" and "Help" at the top part of the player (my guessed translations from Swedish), and when I open "Play" there is this option "Text, Image Text and Subtitles";
that's the closest thing to subtitles I can find, but I can't seem to actually change anything, nor find any editors. :confused:
Actually I don't know very much about this, maybe you aren't even supposed to be able to change them directly from the program itself. :p

Peegee
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I open files using virtualdub, but I think by now there's another editor. Where are the other eoffers???

rubah
06-24-2011, 03:22 AM
You just load subtitle files. Try a video player such as VLC or perhaps mplayer (not sure about the latter) Subtitles that are hardcoded into a video are kinda obnoxious (unless you're watching netflix streaming! in which case there is no alternative)

Shoeberto
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
You just load subtitle files. Try a video player such as VLC or perhaps mplayer (not sure about the latter) Subtitles that are hardcoded into a video are kinda obnoxious (unless you're watching netflix streaming! in which case there is no alternative)
Media Player Classic is a good choice for Windows. mplayer on windows isn't great iirc (the distinction between the two is pretty important). VLC is also very good. Both are totally free/open source and have pretty easy-to-use subtitle controls.

*Laurelindo*
06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Thank you.
Yeah I downloaded a file the other day for the South Park episode "Guitar Queer-o", and it was quite fun; only problem is that I'm more or less fluent in English and understood everything they actually said, which made the subtitles less hilarious.
But I'll just look up a movie in Arabic or Russian or something now. :D