PDA

View Full Version : Is there an app for that ?

magewarrior
06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
wether you have a BlackBerry, iPhone, or one of the many android powered smartphones out there Im sure you've downloaded at least one app by now. So my question is "what are a few of your favourites and why do you like them so much" I'll Start (obviously :roll2)

fyi these apps are available for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

1. Skype and Tango (for video calls) although you can still use it to call a landline or cell if u want but you have to buy Skype credits to do so. Tango to my knowledge is only used for video calls. Both are exceptional ways to keep in touch with family and friends.

2. Appzilla 2 (boasts over 106 apps in 1 and counting) for 0.99 on the itunes app store it's become one of my favourites. I havn't had any issues with it and all apps perform equally well. The only downside is it's been takeing up too much of my time :p lol

3. Discovr Apps (for apps) and Discovr Music (for music) : imo it's one of the best ways to find apps and music out there. All you do is type in one of your favourite apps or bands and the app goes to work for you finding similar apps and music for you to listen to and try according to your individual taste. I only wish they had something like this for songs.

4. AppShopper : Think of this app like an itunes app store flyer. Once the app is open it nicely lays out a bunch of different apps that have gone down in price or have become free. The big difference between this and other similar apps is it's nice and simple straightforward layout.

This is all i got for now but I'm constantly downloading apps for my iPod Touch so stay tuned :D lol anyways I`m interested in hearing some of your favourites. So go ahead and post already. Make sure to include wether it is a android, blackberry or itunes app, so the rest of us dont get confused.

DMKA
06-25-2011, 11:23 PM
The EoFF Smartphone app. :heart:

_Ash
06-26-2011, 03:22 AM
There's an iPhone (iOS) app that my brother has that records you during the night. It picks up on any sleep-talking that you might do. Scary and pointless - therefor I love it :)

fire_of_avalon
06-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Very scary. I probably chant in Latin. I don't need to know about that.

_Ash
06-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Apparently, I laugh a lot. Which is very scary...

magewarrior
06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
might give it a try. although i've heard from others that i snore a lot and when i do sleep talk (rarely) all i do is mumble, no one can make out anything i say :p lol

(back to the topic) ... 2 more for the day

5. Parachute Ninja : about as addiciting as "cut the rope" wich isn't a surprise since its created by the very same developers that worked on "cut the rope" basically you take control of a little round ninja and you're flinging him from line to line while using his parachute (makeing full use of the built in tilting feature) to land him safely from point a to point b. Very solid and addicting gameplay.

6. Awsome Note (+ ToDo) : Its a full featured app that does it all (to-do's, grocery checklist, journal, and takeing notes) all in one. It's a very useful app and it does everything well. Downside, it's gonna cost you 3.99 in the itunes app store. Worth it, definatly ;) can't imagine a day without it, been useing it for about 3 weeks now and I use it almost everyday.

available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad

AngelWings8
06-29-2011, 05:39 AM
I'll post some for the Android phone that I have...these are some of my favorites:

Swype (so much better & cooler than the built-in keyboard!)
Handcent SMS (I like this text messaging program better than the one that came with the phone...tons of features!)
Android Agenda Widget (best calendar app I've found to show all my upcoming GCal events on a screen)
Shazam (for that occasional song you hear on the radio that you want to know the name of)
Barcode Scanner (I don't really use this to look up prices of things...more so for the random android barcodes I may stumble across)
Astro File Manager (file manager to see all the files I have on my phone/SD card as well as play videos I've saved on there)
Gtasks (I have this linked to my Google Tasks, essentially as a to-do list)
Foursquare/Yelp (I'm addicted to checking into Foursquare and Yelp and writing reviews/posting pictures)
Tip Calculator is handy (especially if you have a big group bill you need to split)
Words with Friends (scrabble game you can play against your friends)
Alchemy (fun game)
And I use AppBrain to keep track of all the apps I have on my phone, and I can install/uninstall stuff from the web. Easier than navigating through the marketplace, IMHO.

Pheesh
06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
ESPN Score centre, Stitcher, Stanza, and Westpac mobile banking.

Jiro
06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
There was this variant of hangman I was playing on a friend's phone last night. You play against someone else but making a word out of given letters (think scrabble) and then they have to guess. I don't remember the name but it was addictive! Using cool works like regal, dynamo and boners was fun too :greenie:

magewarrior
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Bump! one of the most interesting apps I've come across in awhile. Basically it allows you to share contacts, photos, music, location, and even chat just by Bumping phones together. Once you Bump they are automatically saved in your contacts list and you can Bump with them anytime and anywhere. ie a virtual long distance Bump. It's pretty cool. Available for both android and iOS powered devices.

Direct link to their website : Bump! (http://bu.mp)

demondude
07-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Doodle Jump! :monster:

Madame Adequate
07-12-2011, 09:53 PM
YouTube - ‪There's a Pony For That HQ Version‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50-oWY1pFE)

Peegee
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
android:

- network monitor (though why? It takes me forever to hit my monthly limit)
- shazam
- wapedia (Wapedia (http://wapedia.mobi/en/))
- fbreader
- torch/flashlight apps
- google maps

I don't go nuts with apps. I probably don't use much else

Flying Mullet
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Foursquare/Yelp (I'm addicted to checking into Foursquare and Yelp and writing reviews/posting pictures)
Words with Friends (scrabble game you can play against your friends)

android:
- torch/flashlight apps
- google maps

These. I also use:

List Master - Great for keeping to-do lists, shopping lists, etc... It's very handy to have a shopping list with me at all times as I think of things I need to get at random times, from when i'm wandering around the apartment to when I'm out running errands.
GasBuddy - It tells me where cheap gas is close by. Very nice.
Pandora - Most of my music comes through here now. I usually enjoy listening to this more than the radio in the car.
Google Voice - I do a lot of my texting on here and it's a great aggregator.

rubah
07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm kinda addicted to foursquare.

CimminyCricket
07-28-2011, 02:42 AM
I only have 3 apps: the AIM app, the Firefox app and then someone did a decent job making the coin game from FFX-2. I use the Firefox app the most, so it has to be my favourite. I always think about getting more apps, but I don't have an unlimited plan and I'm never near a wifi spot when I think of doing it. No apps more apps for me.

demondude
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I discovered today the brilliance of the truth or dare app. Best played in public.

Shlup
07-28-2011, 10:50 PM
My book light died last night so I downloaded a book light app. It's pretty fabulous.

CimminyCricket
07-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I went on an app spree and got the Kindle app, the Sony ereader app, and an HTML5 reference app. They're pretty cool and it makes me wonder why I waited so long to look through the app store.

magewarrior
08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm kinda addicted to foursquare.

Just recently downloaded this one for my iPod Touch, didn't know they had an app like this, thought my best bet was to go with facebook's places, but i'm liking this one a whole lot better. (plus they also have it on the blackberry app market. TBH wish more apps were cross platform like this one)

Also I'll add one more for the day ...

ScreenTribe: A social app that allows you to share with each other what tv show or movie your watching. You get rewards, badges, and so forth at the same time. Other apps like GetGlue and Miso do the same thing but I like this app's interface a lot better. Wish it was available for BB's but not at the present time. Only available for iOS devices currently.

TheGlassesGirl
08-09-2011, 02:56 AM
I have a Droid, an LG Vortex with Verizon. It's quite the cute lil' companion.

Tumblr. All Tumblr apps suck, but the one FROM Tumblr is decent enough.
Brightest Flashlight. Downloaded during a rainy night and I pretty much use it every day now.
xkcdViewer. xkcd IN MY POCKET.
Google Sky Map. STARS EVERYWHERE.
Photoshop Express. My camera isn't the best, so at elast I have an app to brighten dark images.
V CAST Song ID. It's that app that you hold your phone up to a speaker and it tells you what song it is. It's really accurate, but you have to have it RIGHT up to the speaker.
Pi. Sue me, I'm memorizing Pi. It's an app that helps you memorize it.

I have too many apps. That's not even half of the cool apps I've downloaded. :cool:

zohaib hussain
08-09-2011, 09:10 AM
that's gambling, not available in the US
Source(s): moderator: http://www.galaxys2forums.com (http://www.galaxys2forums.com/)

magewarrior
08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Okay three more for today ;) here they are.

HeyZap: Think of this app as GetGlue but for games on the iOS or Android app market, same premise, you earn badges, get rewards, share on Facebook or twitter, discover new games based on games you've already checked into, and discuss games you're currently playing. Very useful if you're addicted to games on your mobile smartphone as much as i am :p lol

OKCupid and/or PlentyofFish: if you don't want to waste your money on paid dating websites like match.com or eHarmony then here are two free alternatives and yes they both have apps. If I had to pick one though it would have to be OKCupid because of a new feature they just added called "Locals" wich allows you to see potential dates that are available in your area and chat with them straight from the app ;) epic.

Flava - Save all Your Moments: a digital scrapbook where you can save all sorts of things, from pictures you took, to locations you've visited, links to webpages you've browsed, music and books that you listened/read, etc. Like tumblr but more personal and everything is stored on the app, not online :)

magewarrior
09-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Naturally I'm becoming more and more obsessed with apps even more than I realize :p lol hope noone minds that I bumped the thread back up :\ anyways here a few more ...

Kinetik - Share Your Apps: This app is for sharing all of your favourite apps, you also have the option of posting your "shares" to facebook and twitter. You can follow friends who also have this app and get their "shares" as well. Pretty nifty if you need recomendations for apps based on who you decide to "follow" and who "follows you"

formspring: by formspring.me is a social app based solely on asking and answering questions. Once you sign up you can add friends or choose to "follow" someone after which you can then start answering and asking questions with them.

Safety Photo+: an app to keep your most private photos safe from public viewing using a passcode but it also has the ability to share some of those photos with others if you want to.

MyMedia: 100% free. No Limit. Built in browser. Easily download multiple files off of the internet, including videos, music, pictures, documents, etc onto your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

Available for iOS Devices (not sure about the others)

Araciel
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Mobile banking app
cineplex
weather network
slacker radio
....thats about it.

Casey
09-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Tune In Radio: Listen to the radio.
Weather Bug: Look up the weather.

magewarrior
10-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Available for iOS devices (not sure about the others)

TagDisk : It does two things well, and thats downloading videos from youtube and unraring files. Other than that it's just your basic browser with the ability to download various files from the internet onto your iOS device. But, still worth the download.

iSafePod : This app could've been better if it had the ability to unrar files but it does everything else so well that I can't really complain. First off you have a passcode and a fakecode (use the fakecode to keep certain files from being viewed) *hint* *hint* You can also download various files from the internet "including" videos off of youtube straight to your iOS device. This app also has a built in video converter to convert videos to mp4 format, and an audio extracter to extract audio from videos then save it to aac format. Overall a solid app and one of the best browser experiences I've had so far from the app store.

Day One : Not one of the best journal apps out there and certainly not the worst either. I would like to see more features but as it stands it is a good journal writing app. Very similar to Momento but there is no option for adding pictures to your entry, but its soft blue and black layout is easy on the eyes. Worth taking a look if none of the others are working for you.