PDA

View Full Version : Robobot: the robotic robobot

Peegee
06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
So Pike mentioned in another thread that she and milf would like to have their brains dropped into a robobot's body, and Pike herself wants a robobotic brain.

I have a problem with this I have been tackling for the past week, and it is this: would a robobot be wont to do certain things, because of programming, which constantly require upgrading? And because a robobot is limited in motion, articulation, sensory input, and outbound expression, software and the like, would it require ridiculous amounts to upgrades?

A human lacks all of these issues as the brain can be upgraded by simply rewiring the focus of sense data. Both robobots and humans can be reprogrammed to use their existing 'bodies' differently to adapt, but can robobots 'adapt' faster than humans? which system has better fitness? I do not know. Wireless communications coupled with distributed computing makes me wonder if robobots would be more capable - also technology allows for more sense data collected.

Would you prefer to be human or a robobot?

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
I'd just like it to be *possible* to upload a human mind into a robot, because it would mean that the singularity was here at last. Once that happens, the economics of scarcity won't be relevant anymore and we'll all be living like billionaires.

Pike
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Okay, well standard disclaimer that I'm not a robotics expert/neuroscientist/etc. so if I say anything dumb please let me know, because I always want to learn more:

Basically the human body as is, including the brain, is already a machine. An organic one, but a machine nonetheless. Consciousness is the result of various electrochemical processes within the brain (from what I understand). Therefore if it can be done in an organic machine it can theoretically be duplicated in an inorganic one. Not yet, because we're still figuring it all out, but eventually.

So!

I want to be a robot because it will hopefully allow me to do things like live longer and learn more and see more sights and such, and also because I think robots are sexy. :raichu:

Now if we have a lot of people becoming robots and living longer, we'll need a lot more elbow room than we've got here on earth, so we'll just have to go into outer space~ :holmes:

this is my fetish

Actually if we all just decided to forgo physical bodies and live inside a giant computer or something we probably won't need too much elbow room, but I want to go into space anyway.

Pumpkin
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Being human I imagine would be better for shaking my groove thang

Also, what do robots eat?

demondude
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Seriously, am I the only person here who likes the taste of metal?

Edit: Not actually eating it, obvs.

Rantz
06-27-2011, 06:00 PM

chips

Pumpkin
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM

chips

Har har

Madame Adequate
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Seriously, am I the only person here who likes the taste of metal?

Edit: Not actually eating it, obvs.

No, I like it too.

As to the topic at large, I obviously agree completely with Pike. However, to address Peegee directly, there is nothing inherently special about intelligence in meat. Intelligence - sapience really - is at its very core nothing more than the capacity to analyze sense data. Why should machines be so immune to this? 'Programming'? Granted, programming as we largely understand it today would create a fairly rigid intelligence, but why the presumption that our programming knowledge is going to remain static? We're making huge strides in all kinds of directions.

When it comes to the limitations of a robotic form, I can't really say. The point of the Singularity is that it's impossible to see beyond; that's why it's called that. I sincerely doubt that we won't be able to replicate all human functions, and then exceed them. And as Pike suggests we may well exist as disembodied intelligences anyway. Perhaps that's most of the time, and we can put ourselves in bodies if/when we want to? Nothing permanent to them though, just use it for whatever then return it.

Peegee
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I tend to think that transhumanism will be inevitable assuming we don't become extinct, but I was curious as to whether meat brains have any characteristic that isn't replicable in program form.

rubah
06-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd rather take some augmentations than become a full-on robo. I mean, would you rather be a mediocre robot or an incredible human?! (or gynoid)

Peegee
06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd rather take some augmentations than become a full-on robo. I mean, would you rather be a mediocre robot or an incredible human?! (or gynoid)

I would love to get a gynoid. It would have incredible happy times with pg.

Jiro
06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Fucking SPACE EXPLORATION AS ROBOS WHO CAN DO BATTLES

Loony BoB
06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
In all honesty, this kind of question, for me, is like "What would you do if you had to kill your mum or your dad to save the world?" - I don't know how I would react in such a situation because it's just so hard for me to wrap my head around the possibility of that ever happening, let alone what my mind would do at the time. If I could be a robot, would I? I don't even know, man. I'm very big on being natural, but at the same time, I obviously don't look forward to the far reaches of the ageing process. Put me down as "Ask me when I'm older."

Peegee
06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder if robots can be prone to religion or dogma?

Jiro
06-30-2011, 04:26 AM
In all honesty, this kind of question, for me, is like "What would you do if you had to kill your mum or your dad to save the world?" - I don't know how I would react in such a situation because it's just so hard for me to wrap my head around the possibility of that ever happening, let alone what my mind would do at the time. If I could be a robot, would I? I don't even know, man. I'm very big on being natural, but at the same time, I obviously don't look forward to the far reaches of the ageing process. Put me down as "Ask me when I'm older."

Look BoB I can see this is troubling you so let me give you the right answer. Kill both your parents and rule the world as a robot king. Simple okay? Don't show signs of weakness or your robotic brethren will smite your rusty metal ass.