PDA

View Full Version : google+

Bastian
06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
General gaming? General chat? I dunno, I feel like The Lounge is as good a place as anywhere for this.

I'm just going to come right out and admit it: I want in. From from what I've seen, it looks great! Finally something to give Facebook a run for its money and suck all the life out of it like it did to MySpace, and I want to be in before everyone else because I'm unabashedly hipsterish. So sue me (please don't).

Has anyone here been invited? Is it as neeto as it seems? Will it devour facebook and spit out its pit?

And can you send me an invite? :P

tl;dr I want a mooglesmurfin invite, dammit!

McLovin'
06-30-2011, 02:50 AM
checked it out and watched the videos. Looks pretty neat actually. I like how you can organize your friends like a playlist. But the "hangout" feature could work really nicely or be really awkward.

Pike
06-30-2011, 03:01 AM
I'd never even heard of it until just now. It's basically like Facebook? The actual page itself didn't really give me a particularly useful overview, but then I didn't spend a lot of time clicking on the links/watching the videos and whatnot.

I'm not sure if I'd join or not; I feel like I'm at enough social media places enough as it is and honestly I don't even use Facebook all that often (I'm more of a Twitter/Livejournal person)!

DMKA
06-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Could have potential.

Rostum
06-30-2011, 04:09 AM
It looks pretty cool, but I struggle to keep up with these social websites.

Jiro
06-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I instantly had a problem when it came to the circles thing. WHAT IF THEY FIT IN TWO CIRCLES

AngelWings8
06-30-2011, 07:27 AM
I'm with you on this one. I want in, damnit. At least two of my friends already got invites. And they can't send invites out...apparently it's pretty limited in the people they're allowing. :kaocry:

<jealous></jealous>

Loony BoB
06-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Unless a hundred of my friends join, I'll probably just register and never do anything with it. I use these things so I can get in touch when the need arises, and most of my friends have Facebook so I don't need another site to do the things I already am able to do elsewhere. What I don't get is how they're all "privacy privacy privacy we're totally all for privacy" and everyone seems to be playing along... but since when have I been able to trust Google when it comes to privacy? They strive for the ability to know about everything you do, don't they? That's why the government goes to them when they need to know things. Just ask Google, they'll tell you allll about such-and-such, Mr. President. :confused: Or maybe I'm getting that mixed up with something else. Or just reading bad info. Oh well, I'm not heavily bothered. Either way, I don't need it and until it's the major player in the social networking market, I don't think I will do much there. I try to stick with the most widely used one as that makes it easier for me to keep in contact with the people I want to keep in contact with in such a manner (family, friends who don't use EoFF, etc).

Jiro
06-30-2011, 01:19 PM
friends who don't use EoFF

:hahaha:

<!-- You have more friends than I do, I'm hate you because I'm jealous :( -->

Loony BoB
06-30-2011, 01:59 PM
To be fair, I have had one work colleague and about five offline friends register at EoFF over the years, although only one of them really stuck around for a significant length of time. Four family members, too. xD

Freya
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I want to be a hipster too! Only in this regards. I was in the gmail invite only thing before that went live. Gimme google+!

Peegee
06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
I want to have custom display pics depending on who is looking at it. Everything else is organizable in fb.

Shoeberto
06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
I instantly had a problem when it came to the circles thing. WHAT IF THEY FIT IN TWO CIRCLES
Google is smart! They'll support it somehow!

I'm VERY excited about it. XKCD put it best: What is it? Not Facebook. What's it like? Facebook. Pretty much exactly what I've been wanting ever since those stupid goddamn apps starting going up on FB.

Bastian
06-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Unless a hundred of my friends join, I'll probably just register and never do anything with it. I use these things so I can get in touch when the need arises, and most of my friends have Facebook so I don't need another site to do the things I already am able to do elsewhere.
Right, but the point is that eventually Facebook will die like MySpace died and everyone will have moved on to Google+. Just like everyone moved from Friendster to MySpace. And someday everyone will move from Google+ to EyesOnFFSocialNetworkingShenanigans.com . . . or something.

So many of my friends are like "Well, I abandoned MySpace and joined Facebook when only specific university students were allowed" (hipsters, you see). I got in on gmail when it was invite only. Now I want to get in on google+ before everone else does because I want to be better than them! :P

rubah
06-30-2011, 06:35 PM
invite plzzzz

Shlup
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
MySpace died, and the only people who linger there are the ick of society. Now Facebook will die, and who will remain there? The old people, probably. With their farms.

I like this. Let us migrate forward.

Laddy
06-30-2011, 08:28 PM
I liked it before it was popular.

AngelWings8
06-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Ditto, I liked FB before it got too popular...and I was in college at the time so I suppose it was kinda fun stalking people and posting tons of pics of yourself partying to try to get attention. Now...meh. I still post pictures...but now they're all of food :tongue: And I have way too many fb friends...a ton of people I may have met only once in college. But I feel bad defriending people... :kaodrop:

Jiro
07-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I joined Facebook when it became mainstream because I really don't give a shit about social networking that much. I'll hang onto mine because I have a bunch of people that I couldn't really add again elsewhere (like a girl I had a single class with at uni 2 years ago and who is now living back in SKorea) but migration sounds fine.

I'm interested to know what Peegee based preventative measures they have.

Agent Proto
07-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I joined Facebook really late, and I don't really ever post in it much. I just use it to read what my family and friends are up to. I don't know... I don't think I'll join google+ any time soon either. Some of my cousins want in though.

Laddy
07-01-2011, 02:27 AM
BTW, I was being facetious.

Shlup
07-01-2011, 02:29 AM
So where's my invite already?

Pike
07-01-2011, 04:54 AM
I signed up for Facebook a long time ago, then forgot about it completely and didn't start using it again until a couple of months ago. Really the only reason I started using it again is because I had like 70 friends' requests and I felt bad that I was (inadvertently) ignoring them all... >_>

Anyways, if I get an invite to the Google+ thing I might poke around it a bit, but I'm in no rush really... got too much social media stuff to juggle as is! :raichu:

Rebellious Eagle
07-01-2011, 05:38 AM
BTW, I was being facetious.

Or trying to come off as a hipster.

Pike
07-01-2011, 06:13 AM
THE PLOT THICKENS!

One of my Twitter-friends asked out of nowhere if I wanted an invite and I said yes.

So now I have a Google+. I have no idea what I'm doing! Whee~

Edit: Okay, I've poked around, it's basically Twitter/Facebook except you can sort your friends into categories and then choose which categories see certain status updates you make. So, it's like Twitter/Facebook but with Livejournal's friends' filtering.

WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE SOCIAL NETWORKS

NorthernChaosGod
07-01-2011, 07:12 AM
You can do that with Facebook too.

Pike
07-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I thought that with Facebook you could only choose from Public, Friends, and Friends of Friends or something? I've no idea though. I don't use Facebook very often...

Rantz
07-01-2011, 04:14 PM
You can do it in Facebook too, but it's a kind of hidden away and clumsy feature. In Google+ it's more a part of the main mechanic and much easier to manage. There are a few other cool-looking features I have yet to try out, but other than that it's pretty much Facebook with more focus on privacy and controlling what you share with who (and, I think, more integration with other services and communities). No breakthrough differences beyond that, so I'll probably just use whatever is more popular in the end.

Edit: I've only used it for half a day though, so I'll reserve final judgement for now xD

Pike
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Ahh, thanks for the clarification, Rantz :)

Now I just need to get the invite system sorted out :shifty:

o_O
07-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Well wouldn't you know, they made it so you can have one person in several groups. ;)

I like it so far. I think the posts on the equivalent of the Facebook newsfeed take up too much space. And it's a pain in the ass to find people until you figure out how it works. But other than that I think I'd much rather be using this than Facebook. I hope Google+ takes over; it seems to have taken what Facebook does, and made it a little better.

And for those who can't let go of Facebook... <a href="http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/30/turn-google-into-facebook/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29">there's always this</a>

Pheesh
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is going to have a band/music page feature, and the equivalent of events and stuff?

AngelWings8
07-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Well I started using it...I don't see anything about bands or music pages you can "like", but there are things called "Sparks" that you can subscribe to and when you click on it, it'll post some pages/sites about the topic. For example, I added "Final Fantasy" and "Game of Thrones" to my Sparks. So now when I click on each of those, it'll take me to a page with a bunch of other sites talking about FF or GoT. Not sure if I'm explaining it well.....

I don't have enough friends using it so it's pretty uneventful right now. As far as something similar to FB events, I transitioned over from using FB events to using GCal and sending out events through there. I pretty much use Google Calendar now for everything and have it synced to my smartphone so I always know what's coming up and what I have to do.

Peegee
07-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I have an account and I'm just going to sit on it until everybody who needs to add me adds me. Then I'll just keep using fb until it becomes a deserted hellhole.

I want google+ to have custom display pictures depending on 'circle' (or social grouping) - but right now it's one DP for everybody (quotes out of context ftw) - that's going to drive me crazy.

As far as I can tell it's just facebook but with a different metaphor. That's boring. It also looks like it's based on fb code too.

fire_of_avalon
07-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I really like the sparks thing.

A lot.

rubah
07-06-2011, 03:32 AM
the pic upload seems to be better than facebooks, but then again, I always had to use the old pic uploader

Meow
07-06-2011, 04:49 AM
social networking real talk

Loony BoB
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
The main reason I don't want Google+ to succeed is because it would not only mean having to re-add all my old friends (and this would take months if not years given that so many people have taken so long to get Facebook as it is) but it would also mean having to re-add photos, hope that my friends also re-add photos that I liked, and then re-tag all those photos. And then there are the lost messages between me and my friends that would end up left behind. Amongst other things.

The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time. All they do is make things difficult for everyone else when it comes to keeping in touch with them. Which is ironic, because that's actually what social networking sites are all about.

Facebook won't die "because MySpace was popular and it died." MySpace had horrific problems, mostly surrounding load times and the severe customisation that was allowed to users that ended up causing untold amounts of errors and subsequent further problems with loadtimes. MySpace basically cocked up. Facebook hasn't really done that yet, so I'm holding out hope that it will pull ahead at the end of this. Not because I think Facebook is amazing, but because the number one thing I want in a social networking site is consistency... basically, to not have to change to another social networking site just to keep up with my friends all the time.

AngelWings8
07-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree, I don't like the idea of everyone switching over and then having to re-add everyone again as well as pictures. I kind of wish there was some sort of "import" function that would bring everything over from facebook haha. BUT, I do kind of like the feeling of starting fresh and only adding close friends. I feel like there's so much old junk and pictures from my fb that this will feel like a social network cleansing. :D

AngelWings8
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Sorry for posting twice in a row...but I just noticed an interesting feature. Apparently your profile pictures are in a Picasa web album, and if you have more than one photo in there then every time you click on the profile pic, it cycles through the photos in that profile picture album. Thought that was kinda neat.

Also, if anyone wants an invite, let me know? I'm still trying to get this all figured out, but maybe I can make a "Eyes on Final Fantasy" circle and send out invites through there?

Bastian
07-06-2011, 10:51 PM
The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time.
Er... huh? EVERYONE switched from Friendster to MySpace and then MySpace to Facebook. Sure, some people held out and bypassed the MySpace all together and leaped straight from Friendster to Facebook. It's sort of like the bar/club scene: a new bar opens, people visit it and say "gee, this place is way cooler than my usual bar" and start going to the new bar exclusively, and then hear about a hipper bar that everyone else is going to and visit that one and say "gee, this even newer place is way more awesome than..." and so on. It's silly, but it's what happens.

Three friends have been like: OH! I'll send you an invite! What's your gmail? And I give it to them and haven't gotten my invite! :/

AngelWings8
07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, the whole invitation thing is weird. I think you have to make a post and then share it with people. It should then send an email of the post you made to the people who don't have Google+ yet...I think...

Roogle
07-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Interestingly enough, there have been a few reports of spam on Google+ despite the fact that it has only been public for less than a week. I wonder what the future holds for it? Will Google be able to curb spam more efficiently than Facebook?

Shoeberto
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
words
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/lists/newspaper/news_198.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Do you really want Google to have access to even more of your personal information?

rubah
07-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Yes

Loony BoB
07-07-2011, 09:23 AM
The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time.
Er... huh? EVERYONE switched from Friendster to MySpace and then MySpace to Facebook. Sure, some people held out and bypassed the MySpace all together and leaped straight from Friendster to Facebook. It's sort of like the bar/club scene: a new bar opens, people visit it and say "gee, this place is way cooler than my usual bar" and start going to the new bar exclusively, and then hear about a hipper bar that everyone else is going to and visit that one and say "gee, this even newer place is way more awesome than..." and so on. It's silly, but it's what happens.

Three friends have been like: OH! I'll send you an invite! What's your gmail? And I give it to them and haven't gotten my invite! :/
It took me years to convince some of my mates to join Facebook and some are still only just getting used to it. If I was to tell them they have to move now, they'd just give up altogether. My entire family is on Facebook, and Facebook, unlike MySpace at the time, is thriving rather than struggling. It has double the amount of updates as it did the previous year and has more games being developed for it than ever before, so companies are dedicating time towards it as well. Such a large investment towards a single site is not something that would blow over in the wind. What did MySpace have going for it when Facebook came out? Pretty much the music scene and nothing else. Everything was clumsy, it was full of awful personalisation which only added to it's already awful coding which added to it's already awful load times. Facebook doesn't suffer from any of these things, although sometimes the coding can cause issues on some browsers - but nothing significant like there was with MySpace. And it still loads fast anyway.

Google+ just doesn't have anything significantly better that I can think of at the moment that makes it as worthy of switching to. I mean, sure, it has a lot of great things, but Facebook got lucky by being good at the time when MySpace was not being good. Google+ has come along as a competitor rather than a successor. Do I want a competitor? No, not really. In the world of social networking, I don't want a competitor because it splits people into different sites. Having a monopoly of a social networking industry is something that worked for me when it comes to Facebook, not because I'm a Facebook fanboy but because I want all my friends to be in the same place to avoid me having to log into multiple locations to try to keep up with different people. For me, it's an inconvenience. The internet should be far more convenient.

Hopefully Yahoo! will at least tap into it and I can continue to look at my Yahoo! Mail page for updates from both sites, much like I can look at it for both Twitter and Facebook updates now. I'll just add Google+ to that, I guess. It's not ideal and still lacks convenience, but I suppose it will allow me to at least keep up with everything from a single location.

This kind of reminds me of PS3 vs. Xbox 360 in how it is splitting people up. I mean, I have both consoles so it's not as much of an issue for me, but because there was no real monopoly of the market from either side, I've ended up with half of my friends using one network and half using the other. Competitive, yes. Convenient, hell no. This means I can't play with all my friends on a single console. Definitely inconvenient. =/

demondude
07-07-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm getting bored. All I want Facebook for is to keep in contact with people basically, but they keep implementing new features which make the site uglier, but also less convenient to use. Since they changed chat I can't access it half the time and my homepage is full of complete shit. Polls, unfunny pages people like, and people confusing it with twitter which drives me to a misanthropic rage. I need some meds.

So if Google+ is Facebook as it was a couple of years ago then I'll join. If not, then I cba. Besides, one FB account to Frape is bad enough. I don't want to be Graped too.

Bastian
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
What I really love about Google+ though is the Circles feature. It allows you to assign an individual to various Circles (cliques, categories, whatever) so that when you type a post like "Just had the best effin sex evar!" you don't share it with ALL of your friends, family, co-workers, boss, etc... but instead just your inner circle of besties or whatever. I suspect that somewhere in some convoluted fashion Facebook might offer a similar possiblity... but I haven't found it. And because of this I refuse to accept friend request from my aunts and my mother because I don't want them reading about my sexual exploits (I'm kidding, I don't really post status updates about those. I post blogs and photos).

Breine
07-07-2011, 09:26 PM
The main reason I don't want Google+ to succeed is because it would not only mean having to re-add all my old friends (and this would take months if not years given that so many people have taken so long to get Facebook as it is) but it would also mean having to re-add photos, hope that my friends also re-add photos that I liked, and then re-tag all those photos. And then there are the lost messages between me and my friends that would end up left behind. Amongst other things.

The people who constantly switch from social network site to social network site must be the same people who change emails all the time. All they do is make things difficult for everyone else when it comes to keeping in touch with them. Which is ironic, because that's actually what social networking sites are all about.

Facebook won't die "because MySpace was popular and it died." MySpace had horrific problems, mostly surrounding load times and the severe customisation that was allowed to users that ended up causing untold amounts of errors and subsequent further problems with loadtimes. MySpace basically cocked up. Facebook hasn't really done that yet, so I'm holding out hope that it will pull ahead at the end of this. Not because I think Facebook is amazing, but because the number one thing I want in a social networking site is consistency... basically, to not have to change to another social networking site just to keep up with my friends all the time.

qft

NorthernChaosGod
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
So if Google+ is Facebook as it was a couple of years ago then I'll join. If not, then I cba. Besides, one FB account to Frape is bad enough. I don't want to be Graped too.

YouTube - &#x202a;WKUK-Grapist&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq051BU2MY)

demondude
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I've received some nasty frapes. I'd rather be Graped in the mouth to be honest.

Loony BoB
07-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I suspect that somewhere in some convoluted fashion Facebook might offer a similar possiblity... but I haven't found it.
Type a status. Look at the lock. Click the lock to see the options of who to share the entry with. Click customise. Simples. It's pretty much right where you would expect such a thing to be, really. Oh, and the lists work exactly the same way as circles. When you add someone, the first thing it asks you is if you want to add someone to a list. You don't have to, though. You can exclude/include individuals as well as lists, so yeah.

I use it a fair bit.

Iceglow
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
if anyone has an invite going spare please let me know I'm curious and also in need of something other than facebook, the idea to hide all my statuses from my boss and colleagues would be awesome, just don't ask.

Rebellious Eagle
07-07-2011, 10:39 PM

This is pretty much why I'm not exactly thrilled with google+. Readding my 500 friends and 500 pictures and this and that will be annoying as hell.

demondude
07-07-2011, 11:06 PM
How on earth do you know 500 people? :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-07-2011, 11:19 PM

How on Earth do you not? Loser. :p

AngelWings8
07-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Iceglow, give me your gmail addy and I can send you one.

I just checked how many pics and friends I have if I were to re-add them all on G+ (which I wouldn't...I'm planning on cutting down on people on G+)...I would have to re-add 873 people and 1,632 photos (I don't even know if that number includes ones that other people have tagged me in...or if it's just the number of pictures I'm tagged in and doesn't include my albums :eek:)

demondude
07-07-2011, 11:49 PM

How on Earth do you not? Loser. :p

Just because you walked past somebody on the street or they served you some fries does not make them your friend. :monster:

Peegee
07-07-2011, 11:58 PM
i know about 90-100 people incl the 29 people from eyeson. how do you keep track of 500+????

rubah
07-08-2011, 03:25 AM
you add everyone you know, everyone they know, and everyone you've ever encountered once. Still, I think I'd only have 400 tops, even if I went about it desperately.

google+ automagically downloads pictures from my phone for upload, so I don't have to scrounge around for my phone. I like this.

I don't plan on readding all of my friends. Wouldn't it be ideal if facebook reverted to being primarily school relationships, and g+ took over the online relations that facebook has acted negatively to in the past? (e.g. deleting accounts of people who have too many online friends)

Rebellious Eagle
07-08-2011, 03:33 AM
High school's a big place, I have 8 classes a with around 30 people each, not including study hall, lunch, and extracurricular activities, so in the few years I've been on Facebook I've added 467 people. Not to mention friends from camp, sports, online, blah blah blah.

rubah
07-08-2011, 05:15 AM
high schoolers aren't supposed to be on facebook :mad2:

[edit- or have cell phones]

blackmage_nuke
07-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Dont worry, when this spreads all your friends will add you, and all you have to do is click yes and put them in your friends circle, or yes and put them in the people i secretly hate circle. No more of that awkward friend rejection or letting an invitation sit in your inbox for years and telling people you havent gotten around to accepting yet

Loony BoB
07-08-2011, 09:24 AM
(you can do that already on Facebook, too)

NorthernChaosGod
07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
ITT: People complain about things they don't know about.

AngelWings8
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
While I agree with what you're all saying, I don't plan on really switching from Facebook to Google+...it's just another cool thing to try. Especially when I don't have to keep a separate window open. I always have my gmail open for email and when there's a G+ notification, it sends you an email as well as a notification in the upper right hand side of your gmail window.

Also, even though people have been adding me to their circles, it's not a "request" to add them to yours. G+ notifies you when you've been added to someone else's G+ but you can decide whether or not you want to put them in a circle at all.

Peegee
07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Why would you add a person you only met once? I've received invites from such people and because you have NOTHING in common except one event, you never talk to those people

That's why I don't give a smurfette when somebody removes me from fb - because I probably just haven't gotten to it (or I was too idiotic recently, but that's another issue for another day). And when somebody adds me and I realize a few minutes later that we have nothing in common I just remove them

I should crop my friends list to 50. 50 seems okay.

Loony BoB
07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
For me, Facebook is like a forum. There are people you know better than others, but sometimes the people you care about most can make pointless and/or boring posts/updates, while people you don't know well can make interesting posts/updates which allow for good conversation. So you just add whoever and who knows, perhaps you can get to know that person a bit better. *shrug* No loss, right?

Peegee
07-08-2011, 05:32 PM
It's a mess. You should see my wall when I had 500 random hot girls added. Porn porn porn porn

I had to avoid my notification page while at work

YES I HAVE A GOOGLE+ ACCOUNT NOW WHO WANTS TO TOUCH ME???
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_limqcljkYS1qbyjyqo1_500.jpg

Rebellious Eagle
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I actually got to know people whom I never actually talked to really well through facebook, including my boyfriend.

AngelWings8
07-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm so bored at work...and neither FB nor G+ have anything of interest :kaosleep:

Peegee
07-08-2011, 06:51 PM
fb is never interesting. I just use it to spam. and spam. and spam. And hit on girls young enough for my brother.

Polnareff
07-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Do you really want Google to have access to even more of your personal information?

This.

I can't trust Google as far as I can throw them, and that basically means I trust them even less than I trust Satan. :eep:

All this Google + thing is is an excuse for the government to have even more info about people than what they already have. At least on Facebook you can make your profile private and that's that. There's been no indication that the same feature will be on Google +.

Now will I join Google +? Maybe, if someone sends me an invite, but I sure won't have a lot of activity going on there...... nor will I use my real name.

Peegee
07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I noticed a person who I wanted to cut contact with for over a year has added me to g+ - of course I didn't put him in any circles BUT he can see my display pic and comment on it (WTF)

naturally it was a minor oversight and I reverted my g+ account to my fb 1 px white dot image. But the critique remains unjustified!

rubah
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
google's not the government, dude. They just want to make it easy for you to buy things that they get money to advertise! And that's fine with me.

Peegee
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
On the topic of privacy - I find it hilarious when people blow it out of proportion

Don't put any information online that you are not comfortable with. Confirmation emails from steam aside, most of my gmail mail is spam and subscriptions to spam. 110% of my facebook is spam and garbage. I don't even use my real name on fb (I should rename myself btw) nor have a real account. I've taken to untagging myself from my real pictures, thus making it a complete chore to figure out who I am.

I have a quote - why are you putting your visa card # in your profile? you wouldn't do that, so why put other information?

blackmage_nuke
07-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I for one lied about everything on both my Google+ and facebook account.

rubah
07-09-2011, 03:12 AM
even your password?

blackmage_nuke
07-09-2011, 05:04 AM
especially my password

Peegee
07-09-2011, 05:08 AM
even my password?

Pike
07-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Okay, I might give Google+ another whirl now that more and more people I know seem to be on it.

Also Facebook is currently annoying me because the chatbox sidebar won't go away. :shifty:

AngelWings8
07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Here's an interesting article I read about "How Google+ ends social networking fatigue": Elgan: How Google+ ends social networking fatigue - Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9218283/Elgan_How_Google_ends_social_networking_fatigue?taxonomyId=169&pageNumber=1)

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-10-2011, 05:24 AM
I am currently working on getting invited into this. The chat bar on Facebook has been bothering me too, and I am curious to see the circles thing in action.

EDIT: And I'm in. Time to create profile. Too bad I don't have any friends yet.

Rantz
07-10-2011, 09:21 AM

A little bit of confidence goes a long way. :)

Psychotic
07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
After however many years of avoiding Facebook, smurf it, I'm game. I'm going to make G+ my new LiveJournal and stalk all my EoFF chums. Unless it crashes and burns and in which case oh well!

edit: thank you!

Rye
07-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I really dig it so far because a lot of my friends (;D) are using it, whereas they would not use Facebook.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-10-2011, 01:40 PM

A little bit of confidence goes a long way. :)

Whoo! Two friends so far.

No problem. Any one else want in? All you have to do is say something nice about penguins.

Pike
07-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I like penguins because I use Linux.

I don't need an invite, though, because I'm already in. :3

I'm here (https://plus.google.com/100638812644544914126/posts) if anyone feels like adding me. (Yeah, I really have no qualms about giving this out. xD)

Iceglow
07-11-2011, 02:41 AM
I too thanks to that silly goose Baloki have Google+ Seems he invited my hotmail account twice not my gmail as he thought he had lol. Either way, I'm in. I've not done much because he gave it to me just as I was booting up Dawn of War 2 for a couple of battles. Anyhow add me and i'll circle you up.

Shiny
07-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Facebook allows me to be the stalker I always wanted to be. Now I can not only know where all my friends are every waking second, but I can also hack their Facebook to make up pretend parties they're going to when I really have them in the trunk of my car. Thanks, Mark Zuckenberg!

I would like to check out google+. I need an invite though.

Pike
07-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't know any of your guys' emails so if anyone would like an invite from me, PM me your email and I'll gladly toss you an invite.

Inferno
07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Got an account. Only a few of my friends are in, so it's kind of boring. Most of my friends haven't even heard about it.
So, for now, it's slick, it's quick, it's Google, but it's useless.

AngelWings8
07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I just rickrolled my friends in a hangout :kaolaugh: I'm horrible, I know.

Peegee
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I cannot perceive a difference between g+ and fb - can somebody explain?
Let's take this vaunted 'circle' concept - it's just fb friends groups, which was always possible to be used (although perhaps not as obvious to most people)

you can make a post and make it visible to xyz circles, but not change those xyz circles after the post is made

so if I make a post to everybody and then something not work safe comes up, I can't (now) block the work friends from seeing the remainder of the post

WAT DO

Clo
07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
AHHH EVERYONE ADD ME TO THEIR CIRCLE.

DMKA
07-12-2011, 03:47 AM
In many respects I like Google, but I really don't like they way they're hellbent on sharing info like, who's in your Gmail address book with all your Google Talk buddies.

Honestly the only reason I even have a Facebook account is because I recently discovered just how easy it makes it to keep in touch with people who are long distances from me, such as my family. I have no desire to tell the world what I'm doing every second of every day, or voice my worldview, or post embarrassing photos for the entire world/family/potential employer to stumble upon. So if Google+ becomes the thing that everyone I know is on, I'll go to that. Otherwise I'll just stick to Facebook.

Dignified Pauper
07-12-2011, 03:50 AM
I am in love with Google+!

sharkythesharkdogg
07-12-2011, 04:08 AM
So far G+ seems pretty good. I'm sure it will make a fine replacement for Facebook, until 5 years from now when something else takes over.

Dignified Pauper
07-12-2011, 04:25 AM
To PGies post, you can EDIT any post or comment to include or remove a circle.

AngelWings8
07-12-2011, 06:59 AM
To PGies post, you can EDIT any post or comment to include or remove a circle.

How did you edit circles in a post you've already made? I know you can click "edit this post" in the drop down arrow and then edit the comment you wrote...but I don't see an option to edit the original people you initially had it shared with. I know you can reshare but that would create a new post I believe.

Peegee
07-12-2011, 03:03 PM
furthermore he seems to say you can't hide a post by user. just circles

everybody in their own circle i guess

Dignified Pauper
07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I went through my fbook and removed about 200+ people I never talk to anymore from school. I still have about 300 friends.

Peegee
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I went through my fbook and removed about 200+ people I never talk to anymore from school. I still have about 300 friends.

Do you have a better idea of how to hide posts about the gay agenda from you?

Pike
07-12-2011, 04:13 PM

I only have about 70 friends on FB; I feel unpopular.

aquatius
07-12-2011, 04:37 PM
G+ so far seems a lot less clunky and slow than Facebook and circles avoid the annoyance of friend requests. For a beta, it's very promising. But things like being able to order posts by date would be nice.

rubah
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
That's the second time today I've seen someone make that complaint and I don't understand what you mean by it. Posts in my stream seem to be in descending chronological order for me, just like every other site. Or do you mean showing what day a post was made, or on a person's profile, or what?

Rantz
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
One thing I like so far is how easy and natural it is to sort friends into circles. I'm very aware Facebook has essentially the same functionality as I've been using it for almost as long as I've been using Facebook, but the difference lies in the way it's presented and how you interact with it. What I found to be a chore in Facebook is a natural part of adding friends in Google+. In Facebook I only had the patience to deal with two different groups, but in Google+ it's a breeze to maintain plenty of circles. I currently have the distinction between Friends and Acquaintances, between Online and Offline relations, one group for family, and I think I'm gonna make language-based circles as well (Swedish- and English-speaking). I only hope they'll add some way (unless there is one already that I haven't seen) to more easily overview all of your friends and what circles they belong to. Maybe even let me filter out for example [not:Online AND not:Offline] friends to see if I missed sorting someone into either group.

NorthernChaosGod
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM

I'll be your friend. :monster:

Clo
07-13-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm actually really not liking Google+ so far.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm actually really not liking Google+ so far.

Good.

Pike
07-13-2011, 05:06 AM

I'll be your friend. :monster:

d'aww ilu <3

( facebook.com/pikestaff xD )

DMKA
07-13-2011, 01:37 PM

I only have like 15.

I have a strange douchey sense of superiority because of it.

Loaner is the new popular, after all.

I actually want an invite to Google+ so I can play around with it. The more I look at that interactive tour the more appealing the circles feature is.

The "Hangouts" part is kinda snip though.

escobert
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
I want to be a hipster too! Only in this regards. I was in the gmail invite only thing before that went live. Gimme google+!
Same here!

Pike
07-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I only have like 15.

That's pretty impressive. Though now that I think about it I've no idea how I wound up with 70 friends in the first place. Huge extended family, probably...

ANYWAYS

My offer still stands to everyone, message me an email if you still need/want a google+ invite and don't mind giving an email to me, haha.

Pheesh
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I got face to invite me, it seems pretty cool. I think I prefer it to facebook, but it's hard to tell without the same amount of traffic. Also, it needs a bandpage feature. If it doesn't get one that'll be a deal breaker me thinks.

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I was given an invite without even asking.

I already don't like it. :|

Old Manus
07-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm so hipster I didn't like Google+ before it went mainstream.

Citizen Bleys
07-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm kind of surprised that given the (mostly) Windows-using makeup of EffOff, nobody has mentioned one major advantage to G+: Security. Facebook is like the closest brothel to a naval base. If you go there (at least on a 'doze box), you're going to get infected.

Nobody's got any variant of the antivirus virus from G+, and it's not because only *NIX and Mac users have migrated.

Loony BoB
07-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm kind of surprised that given the (mostly) Windows-using makeup of EffOff, nobody has mentioned one major advantage to G+: Security. Facebook is like the closest brothel to a naval base. If you go there (at least on a 'doze box), you're going to get infected.

Nobody's got any variant of the antivirus virus from G+, and it's not because only *NIX and Mac users have migrated.
People got viruses from Facebook? First I've heard of it. I mean, I know that privacy was an issue on Facebook but yeah. I figure that anyone who knows Google well enough knows that Google are no better than Facebook when it comes to privacy, though.

Rebellious Eagle
07-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I got that antivirus virus twice, but I really doubt it was from Facebook. As far as I know unless you're stupid enough to click those "Girl undresses on camera! CLICK HERE!" things Facebook isn't going to give you a virus or anything of the sort.

demondude
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I got that antivirus virus twice, but I really doubt it was from Facebook. As far as I know unless you're stupid enough to click those "Girl undresses on camera! CLICK HERE!" things Facebook isn't going to give you a virus or anything of the sort.

Woops. :erm:

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2011, 07:14 PM

I've never gotten anything from FB and I never will, because I'm not a moron.

Pike
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
I was going to say something but no matter how I word it, it's just going to turn out like a certain XKCD comic

So I'll just post the comic:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

/smug

Peegee
07-15-2011, 08:48 PM

People got viruses from Facebook? First I've heard of it. I mean, I know that privacy was an issue on Facebook but yeah. I figure that anyone who knows Google well enough knows that Google are no better than Facebook when it comes to privacy, though.

fb allows you to link a script as a link - so when you click on the link, you download the script and spread it like cancer.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I was going to say something but no matter how I word it, it's just going to turn out like a certain XKCD comic

So I'll just post the comic:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/linux_user_at_best_buy.png

/smug

I think this explains the goggles you made. :p

TrollHunter
07-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I may actually give it a shot... I've never been one for social networking sites (and now that I think about it... why aren't I? I even recently moved, it's a great way to keep in touch...) but I think i might just join this.

Heath
07-17-2011, 12:15 PM
I've not tried Google+ yet, but I know a fair few people who are. I only really got MySpace and Facebook because people bugged me into getting it, so I may well create a Google+ account at some stage! I can never make my mind up whether or not I like Facebook, but I did find it's updates, which often seemed to be changing thing for the sake of changing them, to be rather irritating. I'm slightly wary with these sorts of sites, though I don't really think anyone cares that much about what I put up on there anyway! In terms of other social networking, the only other one I really use is Twitter, and I'm not a prolific user of that.

Rebellious Eagle
07-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't see how everyone is getting Google+ when I can't ever get in. -.-

Freya
07-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I have it and am liking it. Currently it mainly consists of EoFFers. You lot are a trendy internet sort so it's no surprise the regular folks are slower to the google+ joinage.

RE if you PM me your email i'll send you an invite.

KentaRawr!
07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
On this whole FB -> G+ thing, I'll be using both, personally. Just, I'm going to reserve G+ for my Internet Personality, if that makes sense. All the people who are using it that I know are all "nerds", anyway, so why would they be talking to Nicolas, the first year college student? They SHOULD be talking to Kentarou, the Zelda / Final Fantasy fanatic. :p In accordance with this, my only contact information there is my E-Mail, and my address says "Earth, Milky Way Gx.", and my profile picture is a Wizzrobe. (I've also included my FB Profile Picture, but it's not the default one.)

I kinda dig the circles, just for their ease of use. I'll probably remove the "Family" circle, at least until Google+ starts getting so popular that my family is on it. And as long as G+ is "exclusive", maybe I could use this to get some of my net friends to know one another. :3

I still haven't tried much of this. I'd like to try to add any EoFFers who have a G+, though, since I have a neat little "EoFF" circle. And I need to try the spark thing, too. And I need to try hangout as well.

Edit: The circle rolls away when you delete it. :3

Edit 2: To find me on G+, search "Nico Rawr"

G13
07-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Some rando motherfucker added me to a circle today. It bothers me a little. I don't want to be apart of some stranger's Spank Bank circle. :mad2:

NorthernChaosGod
07-24-2011, 09:31 AM
You're not that pretty, brah. :p

Old Manus
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Nobody's got any variant of the antivirus virus from G+, and it's not because only *NIX and Mac users have migrated.Good one

Madonna
07-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Some rando motherfucker added me to a circle today. It bothers me a little. I don't want to be apart of some stranger's Spank Bank circle. :mad2:
I am sorry; it was me. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

G13
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I know what you look like. This guy looks like the white Rodarian.

Rantz
07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Maxime DALLASERRA?

Ashley Riot
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Facebook vs G+.. I like G+ cause its from google naturally.

G13
07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Maxime DALLASERRA?

Yes. Who is he?

Levian
07-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm in my livingroom right now, sitting in a comfortable chair. Sure, there's another comfortable chair in the livingroom. It's shaped somewhat different and the color is different as well, but in comfort it gives me about the same as the chair I'm already in. I could walk across the livingroom to sit in the other chair, but I'm comfortable enough as it is.

Rebellious Eagle
07-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Levian, is that some deep metaphor you cooked up there? :o seems like it.
It seems like everyone's getting in on Google+ but me. I feel so left out. D:

Levian
07-26-2011, 01:59 AM
It's a metaphor, but it's not very deep!

Basically, all my needs are covered as it is. No need to get a coke in the fridge when there's already one in my hand.

Crap, I just made another metaphor, didn't I?

rubah
07-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Maxime DALLASERRA?

Yes. Who is he?

possibly a spammer/mass-adder

Madonna
07-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Never was I one for large snake creatures.

Rantz
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm in my livingroom right now, sitting in a comfortable chair. Sure, there's another comfortable chair in the livingroom. It's shaped somewhat different and the color is different as well, but in comfort it gives me about the same as the chair I'm already in. I could walk across the livingroom to sit in the other chair, but I'm comfortable enough as it is.

Well, what do you say to this, huh?

http://gyazo.com/87270a7536d37eefc57ca70af0134e2c.png

Old Manus
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
How can 86 people think of something to say to that

Ashley Riot
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Levian, is that some deep metaphor you cooked up there? :o seems like it.
It seems like everyone's getting in on Google+ but me. I feel so left out. D:

I have like 3 people on G+ lol. Most my peeps are on facebook. They refuse to migrate

Levian
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Well, what do you say to this, huh?

http://gyazo.com/87270a7536d37eefc57ca70af0134e2c.png

I can't be held responsible for other peoples' sanity.

Ashley Riot
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Coupled with all google's services (not that you cant do this already with "share" in google docs etc) G+ has alot more going for it. Sharing etc without the use of external sites you keep it under the google cloud. Your email, calendar (the best calendar iv used), Documents, your friends/family... OMG GOOGLE WANTS MY LIFE!!!!

Sounds convenient , yet dangerous. But Im guessing there are organizations in place to investigate if anything goes wrong..

TrollHunter
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
How can 86 people think of something to say to that

That's what I was thinking.

demondude
07-26-2011, 11:04 PM
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac184/demondude_DD/76862_1559088331446_1062394512_31340065_2428789_n.jpg

TrollHunter
07-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Too... many... smiley faces.

AngelWings8
07-27-2011, 12:07 AM
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac184/demondude_DD/76862_1559088331446_1062394512_31340065_2428789_n.jpg

He looks familiar...I think he's tried to add me before too

Psychotic
07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Is it just me, or does he look like Guardian XIII?

willene2011
07-28-2011, 08:27 AM
can you send me an invite too, Thank you :choc:

KentaRawr!
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
No way, man. Google+ is for the coolest of the cool. :cool:

*waits for beta period to end*

Ashley Riot
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
HAHAHA coolest avatar iv seen yet Kentarou :D

Peegee
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
On this whole FB -> G+ thing, I'll be using both, personally. Just, I'm going to reserve G+ for my Internet Personality, if that makes sense. All the people who are using it that I know are all "nerds", anyway, so why would they be talking to Nicolas, the first year college student? They SHOULD be talking to Kentarou, the Zelda / Final Fantasy fanatic. :p In accordance with this, my only contact information there is my E-Mail, and my address says "Earth, Milky Way Gx.", and my profile picture is a Wizzrobe. (I've also included my FB Profile Picture, but it's not the default one.)

I kinda dig the circles, just for their ease of use. I'll probably remove the "Family" circle, at least until Google+ starts getting so popular that my family is on it. And as long as G+ is "exclusive", maybe I could use this to get some of my net friends to know one another. :3

I still haven't tried much of this. I'd like to try to add any EoFFers who have a G+, though, since I have a neat little "EoFF" circle. And I need to try the spark thing, too. And I need to try hangout as well.

Edit: The circle rolls away when you delete it. :3

Edit 2: To find me on G+, search "Nico Rawr"

I can have a second INTERNET personality??? holy crap what should I be?

NorthernChaosGod
07-29-2011, 01:08 AM
You should be a guy this time.

G13
07-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Is it just me, or does he look like Guardian XIII?

You are very nice
Want to be my friend? : )

sharkythesharkdogg
07-30-2011, 09:37 PM
You should be a guy this time.

ba zing!

Citizen Bleys
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
RANDOM GORBACHEV!

http://bastardly.org/gorbachev5.jpg