PDA

View Full Version : One Life to Live and All My Children cancelled after 40+ years.

Jessweeee♪
07-04-2011, 08:05 PM
ABC Cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' - NYTimes.com (http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/abc-cancels-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live/)

Took them long enough! I never watched AMC but I watched OLTL with my mom for all of 2007-2008 and it's just amazing that you can jump into a soap that's forty years old, airing new episodes every weekday of all forty of those years, not knowing any backstory, and still understand what's going on what with the recycled plot lines and all.

This is a thread about soaps of this nature!

Jentleness
07-04-2011, 11:47 PM
My mother used to watch soaps, especially General Hospital, when she was a stay at home mom while I was growing up. I never did like them, mostly because of the girl Laura in the couple Luke and Laura. I have memories of her crying hysterically in every episode and I kept thinking that someone should tell her to knock it off before they give her a reason to cry (like my mother used to tell me when I was overly emotional)! Anyway, I never did get into any of them, but it is sad to see two American icons close down production. I guess America is moving on.

DMKA
07-05-2011, 12:03 AM
The only soap I recall my mother watching is General Hospital. My aunt and sister both really liked The Young and the Restless for a period of time as well. I do remember both One Life to Live and All My Children being on though and seeing the openings to them. Usually at the end of whatever cartoons I was watching, which didn't help my appreciation for them as a child.

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. I think the day of the soap opera is over. In fact I think it has been for a long time.

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm curious to see how it ends. I mean, how do you end a show that's been running for over forty years? I caught OLTL today for the first time in a few years and it looks like they're just going back to Vikki's personalities again. Except they'll be gone for real this time.

LH
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
These shows are still around?

demondude
07-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I long for the day Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks all cease to exist.

Bastian
07-06-2011, 10:55 PM
My mom used to watch All My Children during diner, so I got sucked into it when I was in middle school/high school. I had such a huge crush on Kelly Rippa when she played Haley as a goth girl. And also on her on-show and real life husband. ;)

Shorty
07-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. I think the day of the soap opera is over. In fact I think it has been for a long time.

Not necessarily. Desperate Housewives is the exact same thing with better camera shots and upbeat music.

nik0tine
07-07-2011, 01:22 AM
I have watch All My Children & One Life to Live since I was 18 years old and I am 64 years old now
and I am retired and this was what I have waited for, to retire and watch my soaps, please don't
take these shows off the air.My faith in humanity has diminished significantly after reading this comment.

Peegee
07-07-2011, 03:57 AM
I remember being in grade 4 or something and my babysitters would watch soaps. I had no idea they were still around.

What are the stories about anyway? just people cheating on each other for months on end and then it blows up and starts over again?

There's better entertainment out there. Good riddance.

Shorty
07-07-2011, 04:00 AM
PG, you clearly don't know the soap rules. There is always, always a twin. Someone's SO sleeps with their mom or something.

But yes, it's mostly cheating.

Jessweeee♪
07-07-2011, 04:20 AM
I remember being in grade 4 or something and my babysitters would watch soaps. I had no idea they were still around.

What are the stories about anyway? just people cheating on each other for months on end and then it blows up and starts over again?

There's better entertainment out there. Good riddance.

Yeah, just the same recycled plots. Cheating, serial killers, drugs, "death" etc. Every couple of months a character that left the show twenty years ago will pop up like "heeeeyyy remember when you and your dudes gang raped me? YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE MY BABY." or "hey we used to date LET'S DATE AGAIN" or "zombie!"