PDA

View Full Version : Jim Sterling/Destructoid on FFVII = not overrated

Bolivar
07-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Final Fantasy VII is not overrated -Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vii-is-not-overrated-205170.phtml)

Even though we've been through this a million times, thought someone might enjoy it. It's kinda generic, certainly doesn't get into the very very very specific details that we do (lord knows there's not enough space for the books WKanno and I have written in forum posts :p ) but I think it sums it all up fairly nicely.

The fact that the game is getting things like this written about it almost 15 years since its release is a testament to its powah. Discuss!

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Outside the fact he mentions being in the UK (But still a Sega fan nonetheless it seems) whereas you're on this side of the ocean, I'd almost swear you wrote this article, granted not going into as much tech-talk but perhaps you wouldn't want to lose your readers. ;)

An amusing article, that feels more like a VII fans call to reform and to arm, but it was still a nice read. Shinobi 13, I feel says my opinion, though less elegantly than I would. Though I feel FFVII has a different impact for people depending on where you are from, and what you were playing before VII. On another forum I lurk in, I asked why the VII fans loved the game , and I was pretty surprised how many mentioned being from Europe, and how VII was the first title they played.

champagne supernova
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Agree with almost everything he says, apart from VII having more side-quests and secret areas than VIII. VIII definitely had the better game world. Oh, and I personally think X or X-2 had the best combat system (I liked the jobs in X-2, but I think that X provided the greatest scope for developing strategy - and the Sphere system was cool).

Dreddz
07-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I read that article yesterday. Its a good read. Perfectly summarizes how I feel towards FFVII and the people that dismiss the game.

VeloZer0
07-06-2011, 03:51 PM
It's the same for anything that is popular, really. It is gotten to the point where I am reticent to criticize any popular media that I dislike, because I as a rule dislike being a part of this mentality. If I don't like it I just ignore it, live and let live.

champagne supernova
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
It's the same for anything that is popular, really. It is gotten to the point where I am reticent to criticize any popular media that I dislike, because I as a rule dislike being a part of this mentality. If I don't like it I just ignore it, live and let live.

I don't know about that. The Twilight Series is popular, but it is not an example of good literature or movie making (and anyone who says it is should be stabbed in the eye with a pencil). VII's popularity was generated because it was good in many areas and offered players a completely new experience. Yes, it might be melodramatic, yes, it might have plotholes, yes, it may at times be ridiculous, yes, it may not develop characters equally (although I'd say that it's only Cait Sith in the main party), yes, it may have been an extension of VI - but these are minor imperfections when one considers the whole experience offered.

VeloZer0
07-06-2011, 06:22 PM
The Twilight Series is popular, but it is not an example of good literature or movie making (and anyone who says it is should be stabbed in the eye with a pencil).
It is very effective at the job of being enjoyable by it's target demographic. IMO good writing is a means to an end, not an end. The author delivered a tale that was captivating to millions of people.

Just because they aren't high art doesn't mean that people should feel the need to lash out at them. If the poor writing detracts you from the story don't read it, but don't feel the need to lash out at the millions of people that are enjoying it. I personally don't care for them at all, but it's not like all of the things I enjoy doing are considered high art either.

Should it be revered as a great literary work? No. Do people really need to heap a whole bunch of hate on it to feel better about themselves? Also no.

champagne supernova
07-06-2011, 06:39 PM
The Twilight Series is popular, but it is not an example of good literature or movie making (and anyone who says it is should be stabbed in the eye with a pencil).
It is very effective at the job of being enjoyable by it's target demographic. IMO good writing is a means to an end, not an end. The author delivered a tale that was captivating to millions of people.

Just because they aren't high art doesn't mean that people should feel the need to lash out at them. If the poor writing detracts you from the story don't read it, but don't feel the need to lash out at the millions of people that are enjoying it. I personally don't care for them at all, but it's not like all of the things I enjoy doing are considered high art either.

Should it be revered as a great literary work? No. Do people really need to heap a whole bunch of hate on it to feel better about themselves? Also no.

I'm not saying it wasn't successful at captivating its demography or only idiots read it. There is a time and a place for good literature, and that time and place is generally not when people have been working 60 hour weeks. I'm just saying that despite its popularity, it is still poor literature, whereas VII is both popular and a good game.

Rase
07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Despite the article just screaming of desperation for views to me ("everyone does 'FFVII = overrated'... wait, I have an idea!"), I really didn't see anything of not in it. Same reasoning, rationale, and justification that's been used again and again by the games admirers, only with a "I feel saying something is 'overrated' makes you arrogant" bent (I guess ignoring the times Mr. Sterling has called things overrated in his writing). As someone who does feel the game is not as good as many feel it is should one have context I couldn't find anything in the article to make me feel any bit different.