PDA

View Full Version : Remon's Magical Challenge! FFT edition

Remon
07-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Welcome to Purgatorio, the secret magical playground of warlocks and witches ~:vivi:
How are you feeling? Please have a seat. Would you like some tea? ... Is that so? Then allow me to present you with a most interesting challenge I've decided to take on.

So considering how much of a magic fag/fan I am, I decided to do a mages only challenge! This is such a cool challenge, and I haven't played Tactics in a while, so this will probably be an entertaining experience. I tried to make it a little bit less strict that the guides around the internet.

RULES :

Use only magic classes of course, which means : Priest, Wizard, Oracle, Summoner and Time Mage.
Once you decide on a job you cannot change it anymore.
Abilities must be from magical classes only. (including Chemist, Mediator, Calculator, Bard and Gained JP up.) But I will probably only use the set Class's abilities.
Special Characters are banned. No Agrias for me. :(
Calculator is Banned (even as a second ability!). Support, Reaction and Movement are allowed though.
Guests must be changed to mage classes if possible. (I don't know if this is a very good idea. I remember that Delita used to not give a tit and use magic on my nearby characters.)
There is no level cap, but don't exaggerate!
Sidequests are to be attempted but not mandatory.

PARTY :

Ramza (Remon) - Priest
Marisa - Wizard
Ion - Oracle
Raidou - Summoner
Mikuru - Time Mage

(rep/sex goes to anyone who can figure where I got the names from , they actually make sense...a bit)

RAMBLINGS :

I made Ramza a priest because he resembles the male blond priest. I'm gonna bleed at the Gafgarion and Weigraf Ramza solo battles.
I always have this habit of naming characters, so I went out of my way and recruited four new players. I had to sell a few things... However the upside is that I picked ones with higher faith.

I do realize that the FFT forum is pretty much dormant, but I decided I'd do this anyway. If anyone is interested please read/try this. :D
I will not consult any guides so also prepare for lots of trials and errors. (I might do this for other games too. Next candidate might be FF12 :bigsmile:)
I will try posting screens too.

I'll give this about a month (or two at worst). Let's Begin!

http://oi53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/331gml5.jpg

VeloZer0
07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I'll see if I have the time to give FFT another go. I'm the exact opposite of you though, I've already done a physical only one.

If I do partake, the only one I won't adhere to is #2. I've never once completed a challenge that involves sticking your party in one static mold and trying to beat the game. If I can't tinker and change up people's classes and builds I get bored and lose interest in the game.

4. Special Characters are banned. No Agrias for me.
Why can't you use them just in mage only roles? That just makes sense to me.

Remon
07-06-2011, 02:16 PM
It's just the aesthetics. I want them to have mage-like appearances. Special chars don't change their appearance to match the job.

Battle Log :

~ First Battle~
Magic City Gariland. I only picked chemists here but it won't matter since I will change team later. The battle is very easy. Just left it to Delita at first. Then i rushed my chemists in. Had to use a potion though. Easy Peasy.

~ Battle at Mandalia Plains! ~
Team : Chemists!

I chose not to give a smurf about Algus to make the battle a bit easier. I had my new team here and they were all chemists. The battle is easy either way, a few potions here and there. I also managed to get my chemists' Job level to 2. Delita did also.

Training : Trained all my chars so that they could have access to their respectful jobs. They're at levels 4-6. A bit overleveled yes.

~ Battle at Sweegy Woods! ~
Team : Priest, Wizard, Summoner, Time Mage, Delita (wizard), Algus (chemist).
Unleashed Marisa's Fury! Ice on the goblins. Bolt on the Bomb. Easy battle is easy. Just keep an eye on MP. Trained them a bit here.

~ Battle at Dorter : Kill that annyoing archer! ~
Team : Priest, Wizard, Oracle, Time Mage, Delita (wizard), Algus (chemist).

The objective here is to get to that archer on top of the building. I tried this once without preparation and failed. So the next try I aligned my party to the rightmost part of the formation panels.
Mikuru the Time Mage was up first. I had her cast Haste on my Oracle and Black Mage. After that, I had Marisa (blk mage) go up and cast Fire on the annoying archer. Unfortunately it did not kill him. Then Delita decided to not be a dumbass anymore and killed that archer in 2 turns -.-. I got every character on top of the building where the archer was cause it helped avoid the other enemies. After that the battle was easy. Marisa was on a roll and 1 Hit KO-ed most of them. The wizards are a pain in the ass. They can 1 Hit KO your highest faith characters. So either Shell, Silence Song them(fails a lot), or kill them as soon as possible. I left the Knight for last. He had a hard time going around the building :D. I also managed to get a few treasures to sell cause I'm really short on Gil.

Team Overview :
Remon (Priest)
Lv 7
Abilities : Cure, Raise, Shell, Protect, Regen
Item : Autopotion.

Marisa (Wizard)
Lv 8
Abilites : Fire, Fire2, Bolt, Ice, Magic Attack Up.

Mikuru (Time Mage)
Lv 5
Abilities : Haste, Slow, Don't Move

Raidou (Summoner)
Lv 6
Abilities : Moogle, Shiva

Ion (Oracle)
Lv 6
Abilities : Silence Song, Paralyze, Spell Absorb.
Talk Skill : Preach.

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll see if I have the time to give FFT another go. I'm the exact opposite of you though, I've already done a physical only one.

You mean, a normal playthrough? ;)

Pete for President
07-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Interesting challenge. Good luck and have fun!

VeloZer0
07-11-2011, 12:53 PM

You mean, a normal playthrough? ;)
Magic just completely dominates the first half of the game, IMO. On a regular playthrough it really isn't until Chapter 3 that I start moving into a primarily physical party structure.

The main problem (and my biggest beef with FFTs combat system) is that as you get more JP and learn more powerful spells they all come with bigger cast times, while all of your characters are leveling up and getting faster. At the start of the game they are much faster in relation to the enemies speed, and by Chapter 2 you can start throwing around the really powerful end game magic because you just skipped all the midrange-highrange spells because they aren't really very good.

After that they kind of fall back. Well, aside from our favorite super broken class.

Greatermaximus
07-12-2011, 06:51 AM
I noticed that too. Why cast fire 4 when you can calculate fire 3. Even a don't move goes a long way.

Since you have chemist in your challenge it isn't much a challenge. ;) Only using a priest as a healer means you have to take great care.

White Magic would be my primary second ability for all characters in that case.

Remon
07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I just need chemists for ether really :p. But if the games starts becoming easier because of that then I'll remove it.

Anyway short battle logs. More tomorrow sorry ^.^'

Battle Log :

~ Zeklaus Desert ~
Team : Priest, Wizard, Summoner, Time Mage, Delita, Algus.
- This battle is fairly easy. They're all close to each other so i spammed my black magic and summons here (though I could only use Shiva once). Delita and Algus suck. They were killed in one strike.

~ Thieves Fort ~
Team : Priest, Wizard, Summoner, Time Mage, Delita, Algus.
- Either go straight for Miluda or take out the thieves and Priests. I took care of a thief and a priest with the help of Marisa, Algus, and Delita. Actually you can use Algus and Delita as scape goats, keeping your other characters safe (they die pretty quickly since they're underleveled). After that it's pretty easy, cast Shiva on Miluda and then spam Fire2 or attack with your rods and staves.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
My first playthrough was chemists, a white mage, and all knights. Lol. Didn't understand class levels equate to class unlocks until my second playthrough. It was eye opening.