PDA

View Full Version : The .Hack Universe

FFIX Choco Boy
07-08-2011, 12:06 AM
That's right, it's time for another of FFIX Choco Boy's completely inconsequential threads about some random anime/book series/movie/etc in The Lounge! This time, we will be discussing the .Hack series and all of its spinoffs. What are your favorites? Which do you dislike? What are your reasons? Characters? Whatever you want to say, put it here.

Edit: Well, I told it to put a poll up, but apparently it didn't want to. I wanted 8 options, and to allow pollers to select multiple answers, and the question to be "Which of these in the .Hack Universe have you played/read/watched?"
Answers:
Original 4 Games
//GU Games
//GU Movies
//Roots
//SIGN
//Legend of the Twilight - Anime
//Legend of the Twilight - Manga
None

Can a mod please slap this on?

edczxcvbnm
07-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Legend of the Twilight Anime is a terrible terrible creation. It falls into the stupid trap of cliche anime to the nth degree. I love the original inception of the series. I didn't much care for the G.U. anime series as it felt too long with not much going on and subpar animation. I know SIGN didn't have a whole lot going on but it felt like they were uncovering a mystery and making progress and by the end something was accomplished. It was a complete story for the characters involved while G.U. felt like a set up to get people interested in the game.

EDIT: I forgot, SIGN has by far one of the greatest soundtracks of all time.

escobert
07-14-2011, 08:48 PM
I loved Sign, I have legend of the twilight on DVD. Still have yet to play the newest games or watch Roots.

and Like ed said, SIGN has the best soundtrack ever. I play it whenever I'm playing fantasy dungeon crawlers lol

FFIX Choco Boy
07-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I loved the soundtrack for SIGN, too. Roots was my favorite entry, though. Sakisaka and Haseo are just really awesome characters, and the two of them combined is even better. I never read the LotT Manga, but I heard that it was really good, but I hate how more than half of the Anime is not even canon. I mean, really, what is the point of going so far off of the real storyline? Just remake the Manga for those of us too lazy to read, lol. But the games were also really amazing to me. The original four will always hold a special space in my heart, but I did find them slightly lacking in gameplay in some aspects, such as having to tell my wavemaster to first aid during every battle. I loved how GU fixed that, but GU did also lose a few good things from the originals. Such as chasing a caster enemy all the way across the map and hitting like 4 or 5 extra portals, lol.

AngelWings8
07-16-2011, 03:56 AM
.hack//SIGN has one of my favorite soundtracks from all the anime series as well. That may have been one of the reasons I loved it so much. I know that I saw a few of the spinoffs, but the original was by far the most memorable for me. I also played the first game that came out (but never got around to buying any of the following ones). Would you all say they're worth playing and I should try to find them?

FFIX Choco Boy
07-16-2011, 05:27 PM
They are like $120-150 for the 1st 4 games altogether, and another $70 for the GU games, so instead of buying them because that's stupid outrageous, I just DL'ed ISOs for my PCSX2.

Haha_YouAint
07-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Man I loved that opening theme song.

escobert
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Fake Wings is my favorite song off the SIGN soundtrack.

Mercen-X
07-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Answers:
Original 4 Games
//GU Games
//GU Movies
//Roots
//SIGN
//Legend of the Twilight - Anime
//Legend of the Twilight - Manga

I played the originals. Love... but I could never finish the optional end dungeons. I really wanted to get Mia back too. I love the Gruntys too. Loved the weapons and Twin Blade attacks.
I played the GU games. Love... again I could never finish the optional dungeons... I loved the bike races too. How come it felt like Haseo was the only AR in the game? Matsu and that Sophora guy changed classes once each, but it was never an in-game strategy for them. The battles fell-short due to this lack of strategic forethought. I loved the weapons though. PIROS THE 3RD!!!
I've only seen a bit of Roots. Okay so far. I haven't been able to watch it all though.
I've watched SIGN out of order. Parts near the beginning... some parts near the end. Caught the middle... I think it's a good series.
There were subtle differences between the Twilight anime and manga that I at first didn't notice. I didn't really see the point of reading the manga when I could watch the show on Cartoon Network. That was back before realizing that manga and anime usually did differ at a number of points. XXXX featuring Cubia as an ally caught my interest but I never made any real effort to read it. I wish Cubia had been a playable character in a game. I think Twilight's saga should be made into games too. I didn't really love the show, but I could probably love it in game format.

FYI: I'm the only one dumb enough to be proud of the fact that I can play the default desktop theme from GU using my electric piano. That is why I mention it here.

FFIX Choco Boy
07-24-2011, 07:11 AM
You know what I really hated about the Legend of the Twilight Anime? Freaking, RENA'S VOICE! Stuff of nightmares...