PDA

View Full Version : Siblings

Shiny
07-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Do you think having siblings influenced the way you are in relationships?

For instance, if you were a boy with sisters, do you think it's helped or harmed the way you treat women in relationships and vice versa. Or do you not think it makes a difference and depends on something else like the parents for instance?

Loony BoB
07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Not really. Although keep in mind I've had siblings all my life so I'm unsure what it's like to NOT have them. It's hard to compare. But off the top of my head, I never really think about my siblings when I think about how I treat my girlfriend.

Breine
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I suppose it does in some way. Having siblings teaches you how to share and compromise, since it's not about you all the time. There's someone else to take into account other than yourself. Having siblings is, in my opinion, very helpful and beneficial when it comes to how you act socially, so why shouldn't that also include relationships?

I guess it's not something conscious, but rather subconscious since having siblings just help shape your personality, just like being an only child shapes your personality in a different way.

blackmage_nuke
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
According to number 1 and 5 of this cracked article (http://www.cracked.com/article_18693_5-bizarre-ways-your-siblings-made-you-who-you-are.html), yes.

But i cant help thinking cracked makes things up and we would never know

NorthernChaosGod
07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
According to number 1 and 5 of this cracked article (http://www.cracked.com/article_18693_5-bizarre-ways-your-siblings-made-you-who-you-are.html), yes.

But i cant help thinking cracked makes things up and we would never know
I was just going to mention that article.

So +1 to blackmage.

Shorty
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Having younger siblings helped shape me into the tyrranical, bossy woman before you today.

Pike
07-09-2011, 11:59 PM
I have honestly never thought about it.

I'm the oldest of six. I have four sisters and one brother (poor guy). We have all always gotten along really well together and all have pretty much the same interests, which are geeky ones. Not even exaggerating, all we EVER do when we're together is talk about video games and other assorted geekery. We all get along nicely.

So, hopefully that means I get along nicely with other people as well? Who knows!

Shiny
07-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting, which brings on another question. Do you think birth order effects the way you are?

Shorty
07-10-2011, 01:28 AM
100% yes.

Rye
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
It's hard to say for me, because my brother and I don't have a close relationship. Being the oldest makes me domineering in some ways, and while I've been in relationships where I have been more domineering in the past, this is not the case right now.

fire_of_avalon
07-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Interesting, which brings on another question. Do you think birth order effects the way you are?
I definitely think it does. I have always taken a very dominant, protective role over my sister which she hates. And I'm very protective of other people I get close to.

I'm also much more independently-minded than my sister, but I think she's more stubborn.

Pike
07-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Honestly I think your parents and they way they act toward each other might influence your relationships more than your siblings would. Just a thought though...

I hope that is not the case, because I grew up with parents who hated each other and were constantly fighting and finally had an ugly divorce last year. I don't know what it's like to have parents who love and are affectionate with each other. :cry:

DMKA
07-10-2011, 04:10 AM
I don't think so.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-10-2011, 05:39 AM
I know that a big part of the way I am in a relationship is because I have seen how my sisters boyfriends have been in their relationships and have witnessed the good and bad resulting feelings from my sisters. I am the youngest of four with three older sisters. We were all very close, even if they did constantly harass me. But I always saw how being a dick boyfriend affected my sisters and told myself I would never be like that.

Being the youngest definitely help me see it all clearer, because I got to see it all happen three times before I was even thinking about relationships.

Chris
07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I have quite a few half-siblings from my dad's former marriages and relationships, but they were already adults when me and my sister came into this world. My dad is more than twenty years older than my mother, and two my my half-siblings are older than my mother. That being said, they have been nothing but good to me. I can't say if they have had a direct influence on me, but they might have. It's difficult to say, really.

Rebellious Eagle
07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
My only sibling, my half-brother, is 11 years older than me. He's always treated me well, has taken me out to dinner and to the movies, etc. Seeing the way he treats his girlfriend helps me to know what I want out of my own relationship and how I expect to be treated.

Pike
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
My only sibling, my half-brother, is 11 years older than me. He's always treated me well, has taken me out to dinner and to the movies, etc. Seeing the way he treats his girlfriend helps me to know what I want out of my own relationship and how I expect to be treated.

I was going to say "whoa, that's a really big age gap", but then I remembered that I'm 15 years older than my youngest sister.

Breine
07-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Oh fo sho! Parents tend to parent their kids differently depending on the order of birth. You gain experience in parenting as you get more kids. It's only natural that there are some parenting things you'll do and not do as you did them with your first-born. Also, different kids just need different parenting.

And then there is in relation to your siblings, where your birth order has a whole lot to say in my opinion. You take on different roles depending on whether you're the oldest, the middle child or the youngest.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I am an only child, so I really don't know how siblings would affect you.

I make friends easily, and I don't think I'm greedy so hopefully I turned out all right. :tongue:

Madame Adequate
07-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Only child master race!

Iceglow
07-11-2011, 02:24 AM
My elder brother is a grand total of 15 years my senior. His eldest son is only 7 years my Junior. To put that in to perspective for how weird that can be. I meet a girl in her early 20s and start dating her and routinely end up having to tag a "I swear, you start masturbating to pictures of my girl and I will have to go Tyler Durden on your balls." when showing them the pictures of girls I meet. I guess my nephews are kinda like brothers I don't get to see very often. I haven't seen my brothers family in around 2 - 3 years because every time I try and get the time and money to go down for a weekend, either something comes up my end or something comes up their end. I will do this soon! I need to go for a pint with my eldest 2 nephews for a laugh.

My elder sister is 18 months my senior. Unfortunately I spend way too much time in her company, this is unfortunate because we only get along about 30% of the time. What can I say? She's closer to home and lives with my mom still so to go see my mom I end up having to see her. She has 4 children, 3 girls and 1 boy all under the age of 9.

The cracked.com article listed earlier is funny for me. all the points it makes about being gay, shorter or less intelligent are all wrong in my family. Though based on past history, will point out comment about girls loving me could be true ;)

My brother in absence of a father (he passed away when I was only 3) has become somewhat of the father figure to me. I don't mean in the sense of telling my ass off for tit etc because he wouldn't ever do so knowing that even if he tried I'd never listen. I mean in the sense of, I learnt most of the things guys learn with their dad's from my brother. My brother for example taught me how to do stuff like shave properly and things like that. Things most guys learn from their dad's but never really think about. So I believe he definitely has shaped who I have become. My sister hasn't taught me much, apart from the kind of woman I do not want to meet and the way I do not want to live my life. We're chalk and cheese which I suspect is kinda common with siblings of such a close age range. We definitely will never turn out the same. My sister has helped me make several important decisions about life which has changed who I have dated in the past (yes, this means because of my sister some girls have gotten their asses dumped. Mostly because they come out with the whole "I want kids in the next 3 years!" which just makes me go "hellz no, live whilst you're young! Or find some other guy to be your baby daddy!" 10 out of 10 times) So yeah the whole your siblings shape you thing I'd have to agree with. My brother has made me capable as a man, my sister has made it so I will choose a better path in life. She's also shown me that no matter what girls tell me, I know I'm not a complete asshole in relationships. Ok so I'll concede that in the relationships where I have cheated I have been a complete asshole. However in any and all other relationships, I've been at worst a regular guy and at best a complete gentleman.

Laddy
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
My older brother took all the testosterone.

Shorty
07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Clearly xD

Yar
07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Well I'm the oldest so sometimes I like to take charge of situations. I can see that affecting any relationships I have.

Shiny
07-11-2011, 05:07 AM
My older brother took all the testosterone.

...LMAO

pics plz we need a comparison

Peegee
07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
birth order and gender affects your upbringing directly.

A few things:

I've never had a sister and so I am tremendously motivated to want to have a daughter as a result
I don't have a sister so I am simply curious what that is like. It seems to not really matter
my perception due to previous relationships was exacerbated by my sibling's current relationships
my youngest sibling takes after me too much - he's like me on crack (the otaku part; i weeded it out of my system but he's gone full justy mode)

Araciel
07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Got two sisters.

Have no idea how they have affected me but they must have.

I helped.