PDA

View Full Version : So I just made garland my hoe... (psp)

TrollHunter
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
And he failed to pose any sort of threat to my party whatsoever. I've never played the psp version of ff1 (hell never played FF1 in general) and I've heard he had a fair amount of hp and damage output yet he had no more than 150hp and was doing like 20's. Is the psp version of ff1 "dumbed down" or something? :mad:
I could just google this but making an entire thread out of it seems appropriate.
Discuss the difficulty of the psp difficulty vs. the original version's.

Bandersnatch
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Never played the NES version, but the difficulty of that game is pretty famous, concerning all of the faults. Nor have I played the PSP version. The Origins version was a little harder than the GBA version (which I hear is like the PSP port, just less pretty). BUT the reason why Garland fell so easily is because thats the first major battle of the game and its just to skyrocket FFI's story into motion. Just keep playing and you will see why Garland is so awsome to a lot of people : )

TrollHunter
07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm addicted to the game so it probably won't be long till that happens. I was just expecting the 1st boss to put up a fight is all.

VeloZer0
07-14-2011, 12:43 AM
FFOrigins(PS1) is WAY harder than FF:DoS (GBA). FF:DoS rebalances a ton of things to make useless classes much more useful, and considerably increases your party's strength in relation to the enemies.

From what I have briefly skimmed FF on the PSP is considered even easier than the easy mode in FF:Origins.

TrollHunter
07-14-2011, 03:01 AM
.....Well dang that sucks. :( At least it's fun enough to keep me entertained.
Thanks for the help on that, things did feel quite a bit too easy from what I've heard about FF1.

theundeadhero
07-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Even on the NES, which is the hardest version, Garland can be beaten at level 2, so take what you will from it. He could probably be beaten at level 1 with two or three black mages.

TrollHunter
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
so take what you will from it.

Garlands a wuss of a 1st boss then. What a shame. At least the game beats people senseless later on.

sad.mind
09-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Just got FFI on NES.

Game is such a bitch, but I love it.

Giga Guess
10-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Garlands a wuss of a 1st boss then. What a shame. At least the game beats people senseless later on.

Well, he's kinda supposed to be anti-climactic, it seems. As opposed to the rest of your quest, his purpose is just go in, save the princess from her kidnapper. His "dungeon" is easy (Just walk straight forward to get to him) and while he's supposed to be Cornelia's best warrior, or some such, he's still human, and against four people. Trust me when I say, though, there's more to this sequence than meets the eye (I say, assuming you haven't played FFI before or haven't spoiled anything for yourself...)

TrollHunter
10-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Well, he's kinda supposed to be anti-climactic, it seems. As opposed to the rest of your quest, his purpose is just go in, save the princess from her kidnapper. His "dungeon" is easy (Just walk straight forward to get to him) and while he's supposed to be Cornelia's best warrior, or some such, he's still human, and against four people. Trust me when I say, though, there's more to this sequence than meets the eye (I say, assuming you haven't played FFI before or haven't spoiled anything for yourself...)

I hadn't before, but I get it all now. For some reason at the time I expected the first boss to be challenging. Why that is I don't know.

Giga Guess
10-16-2011, 07:06 AM

I hadn't before, but I get it all now. For some reason at the time I expected the first boss to be challenging. Why that is I don't know.

Nah, in most other FF games, the first boss is just tough enough to justify it's status, but is still there to ease you into the game. This is no different.

Jiro
10-17-2011, 05:01 AM
He can't be too hard because you can basically walk in there and fight him at level 1.

TrollHunter
10-18-2011, 04:45 AM
He can't be too hard because you can basically walk in there and fight him at level 1.

I, personally, had to level to 10 before I could beat him. I don't know what you're smokin'

Jiro
10-18-2011, 04:53 AM
I didn't say you could beat him at level 1. You might be able to, if you're a nutter or something. I don't know if the PSP version is harder, but level 5 has always been a high enough level for me to overkill Garland.

VeloZer0
10-18-2011, 05:09 AM
I thought 2-3 was typical?

Jiro
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Exactly. I just make sure I overlevel because the Wild Ponies kick my ass once you cross the bridge.

TrollHunter
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Exactly. I just make sure I overlevel because the Wild Ponies kick my ass once you cross the bridge.

Oh, I remember those guys, and I haven't played ff1 in a while (got lazy)
they only ever went after my white mage, EVER. Where was my white mage? 4th in my group, dem horses didn't care.
Also I was exaggerating my level for garland, I was about level 2.
Also, the psp is a horribly nerfed version of ff1, it pretty much removed all of the challenge from it.

The Ceej
08-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Well, I just started the PSP version literally ten minutes ago. The first thing I noticed was you can save anywhere (as opposed to only after sleeping at inns). The second thing I noticed was magic worked on an MP-based system as opposed to the D&D-esque spell-slot system the PS1 version (and presumably the original - I never played the NES version) used.

Also, I got in a fight with a crazy horse and it had nothing on me. I remember those things being a pain in the left nostril to beat. So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes. The PSP version is very much dumbed down for a modern audience, and I would wager half of everything I own that it's at least twice as easy as the original.

Shauna
08-10-2015, 08:29 AM
Let's not be reviving threads from 2011, thanks. :)