PDA

View Full Version : V for the PSP

Bandersnatch
07-13-2011, 10:04 AM
For some reason V is one of my favorite classic FFs and I really would like a psp copy, how much of a possibility would you guys think it is that ports of V and VI will get made for the PSP?

Flying Mullet
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
5.345%

Dreddz
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Its funny that FFIV got three re-releases, two remakes and two sequels while V and VI are mostly forgotten about by Square. I think IV is the weaker of the three personally.

As for V and VI being released on the PSP, I doubt it. But that doesn't mean you can't play V ad VI on your PSP. You can buy the games on PSN and put them on your PSP's memory stick, or you can rip the games yourself if you have the original PS1 discs and convert it to a file the PSP reads. Or you can find a SNES emulator for PSP and play the games there. Just gotta be tactile about this stuff.

Bandersnatch
07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
OR I can play my Anthology or my Advance version of FFV if I wanted to play it again. But the PSP ports are so sexy and smooth, plus I would like to have a physical copy since Im a collector.
I think they might release FFV for the PSP on its twentieth birthday, which is next year. It only seems right. Final Fantasy I & II got a port on the twentieth anniversary, and IV got The Complete Collection on its twentieth. I suspect a pattern here.

Mirage
07-17-2011, 07:23 PM
One can only hope.

Bandersnatch
07-21-2011, 04:17 AM
I don't know how much truth is in this but...
Square Enix announces Final Fantasy V remakes for PSP, PS3 (http://www.qj.net/psp/games/square-enix-announces-final-fantasy-v-remakes-for-psp-ps3.html)

VeloZer0
07-21-2011, 04:37 AM
Might have believed it if it just said PSP release, but PS3 is a little bit out to lunch. I remember SE releasing a statement saying that they couldn't do a FF5 release for the DS, that it would require the hardware of the 3DS. BS or not, the fact that they linked a FF5 remake and the 3DS in a press release that wasn't a denial is a fairly good indication that they are at least seriously exploring the possibility of the remake for the 3DS.

Bandersnatch
07-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Meh, I never really cared for FF III/IV remakes, I would much rather play their 2D counterparts, why they never released the original III still baffles me. I wouldnt mind if they did a FFV remake, but they should still update the graphics of the original for a PSP port. Digital copy or on UMD.

Lets put it this way, I think the PSP ports and the graphics for FF I, II, and IV TCC, are good enough to be the last makeover or facelift for them.

VeloZer0
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I loved the FF3/4 remakes, and despised the graphic style of FF4:TCC. :p

To each his own I guess.

Mirage
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Might have believed it if it just said PSP release, but PS3 is a little bit out to lunch. I remember SE releasing a statement saying that they couldn't do a FF5 release for the DS, that it would require the hardware of the 3DS. BS or not, the fact that they linked a FF5 remake and the 3DS in a press release that wasn't a denial is a fairly good indication that they are at least seriously exploring the possibility of the remake for the 3DS.

There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to release it for both PSP and PS3. They wouldn't have to make the PS3 version a 3D game or anything, they could just use the same sprites as they used in the PSP version.

Also, it's bulltit that they would need X hardware to remake it. It all depends on how fancy they want the remake to be. Anyway, considering all the earlier games have gotten remakes on their 20th anniversaries, I think there is a real chance that we might get 5 and 6 as well.

Meh, I never really cared for FF III/IV remakes, I would much rather play their 2D counterparts

What are you talking about, the FF4 remake is still in 2D.

Bandersnatch
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
"What are you talking about, the FF4 remake is still in 2D."

No... FFIV got a legitimate remake on the DS, and it was completely redone.
‪Final Fantasy IV DS - Gameplay - Boss#15 - Queen and King of Eblan‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSpBYvUfrro)

The PSP (Complete Collection) was a PORT of the original, just an overtly polished version, with sort of a, facelift, if you must. Also included was a The After Years, which was a sequel to the original, done in the same graphic style as the orignal FFs, but again polished for todays standards.

Mirage
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Ports reuse the existing resources (graphics, sound etc), remakes have them made anew, such as in FF4 on PSP.

FF4 for GBA is a port, FF4 for PSP is a remake, even if it's still in 2D. Just like the Final Fantasy Origins versions of the first two games were remakes, not ports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udnqBcb2C0I
That is so much better that I doubt there is a single sprite shared between the original game and this version. The graphics and audio has been made anew - re-made if you want - therefore the game is a remake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Tj5DXd_bA
Same graphics as on SNES, slightly worse audio quality because the GBA doesn't have as good a sound chip as the SNES had. This is a port.

Bandersnatch
07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I know TCC looked completely different than the SNES/GBA, but it was still essentially the same other than that. It looks like they just colored over the original game for the PSP remake. While for the DS its pretty certain they started from the ground up. I guess that led me to think of it as more so of a port, even though its not.

Mirage
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Well it certainly doesn't look as different from the original game as the DS version does, but when you think of it, how much different could the battles and such be while still being 2D?

VeloZer0
07-22-2011, 02:58 AM
Did FF4:TCC tweak the gameplay at all? I know DS had some significant changes. (As significant as to still be essentially the same game.)

Mirage
07-22-2011, 04:06 AM
No idea, but I will agree that in many cases, older final fantasy games could use a bit of rebalancing. Many characters in FF6 are for example very underpowered compared to others, and some lv.4 limits in FF7 are just complete trash.

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Re-balancing has its issues, the DS remake of IV changed boss patterns and had to to counter the abusive new skill system, on the other hand, the GBA port was rebalanced into easy mode to balance out being able to use some of the other cast members in the end.

I feel FFV is perfectly balanced, but VI and beyond could stand to be made more challenging by powering down ALOT of abilities (and the Junction system requires a complete overhaul if you ask me) but traditionally most of the ports/remakes of the earlier games have been made easier.

The GBA/PSP versions of FFI/II are jokes compared to the originals, especially since they completely changed the magic systems. IIIDS was completely rebalanced to allow the player to be able to use most of the Job Classes for the final sections whereas the original made it very difficult to see the ending without a 2 Ninja/2 Sage team, without having almost max levels and abusing the Blackbelt HP growth mechanic (even then, you may still need to use with the right team). FFIV has pretty unforgiving difficulty spikes and the final boss fight is made more manageable by stealing a specific item, which the game never even hints at. For the most part, the ports make the games less grind heavy and nerfed several elements. The problem is that this difficulty is pretty much all these games have going for them anymore, so playing the watered down versions of the first couple of FFs on a lazy afternoon is nowhere near as rewarding as actually having to invest some time and interest into tackling the originals, though it still depends on the game.

As for an FFV remake, I'm pretty sure its going to happen, but what platform will depend. I actually think DL would be easier than just making it for one system and SE has pretty much stated and shown they are no longer going to be playing favorites anymore for the Big 3, so this is a pretty good compromise that would allow the largest market share, and since it sounds like both the 3DS and Vita will have the ability to download games from their console brethren, you can have it on the go as well. Hell, this may even mean they have a shot at being released on XBLA as well. The other joy of doing this is that it may cut cost on materials and being DL means they have more freedom on how they want to remake it (hi-res 2D sprites/ 3D models) so its kind of a win-win situation for everyone if they go this route but I'm sure both Sony and Nintendo will screw it up by trying to pay SE to release it exclusively to their platforms.

Mirage
07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I definitely want high res 2D rather than 3D for those older games :(. I do agree that making the available for all consoles is good. I would prefer to play them on my PS3 rather than a tiny PSP screen.

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 07:53 PM
I hate the high res 2d sprites so I'd probably prefer 3D, but something a little better than the III/IV DS remakes. Still the idea the new handhelds have the ability to have DL purchases placed on them will allow everyone to be happy in regards to what platform you want to play them on cause I know I get more use out of my handhelds than my consoles.

Mirage
07-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Even if some of the specific designs for some of the characters in FF4 aren't my absolute favourites, I still think keeping the 2D style lets the game keep much of the same mood that the original game had. For me, it "feels right", it feels true to its origins.

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
My issue is that I have the 2D version, so why should I pay extra for a shiner version? The 3D allows for a different experience. While I feel the 2D version of FFIV is the definitive version, I appreciate that the 3D version allows me to experience the game in a new way, and I'm much more likely to buy a new experience over a minor update. If it wasn't for the new localizations and portability, I probably would have never touched the GBA versions of the classics.

Mirage
07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
I have no problems paying for stuff to make them shinier :>

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Well I do :p

Especially since the shiny factor doesn't actually add anything to the content. Playing the PSP version of IV is the same as playing the GBA version, the PS versions, and ROM SNES version (barring the actual extra content that is mostly fluff anyway). I may love the old games, but I'm not shelling $30+ bucks to play the same game I already have three copies of, just cause the sprites have two more colors added to it and the magic effects are more colorful, its a bad investment and it just provokes SE to release a new port every console generation.

Mirage
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Considering I haven't paid for FF5 since the Anthology collection that i got for like 20 bucks, and also sucked, I have no problems buying a PSP remake :>

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I have the vastly superior GBA version, and even an emulator with a pretty good fan translation. I don't need another 2D port. :p

Bastian
07-22-2011, 10:51 PM
FFIV TCC vs. FFIV DS: While I thought the new fancy 2D sprites to be very beautiful and enjoyed playing the game looking at them it didn't feel as much of a new experience as the DS version. I kept thinking "Well, this is pretty, but... the next time I play any iteration of FFIV again, it will probably be the DS version."

So, I'd much rather have something more in that style (though with more detailed models and such) on the 3DS for FFV than a PSP prettier-sprites version.

Mirage
07-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I have the vastly superior GBA version, and even an emulator with a pretty good fan translation. I don't need another 2D port. :p

You mean the graphically and audially inferior GBA version :p.

seriously, the music quality is terrible.

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2011, 05:36 AM
Compared to VI Advance, its nowhere near as bad. Its negligible if you ask me, and I've never really saw the complaint with the graphics cause the games just became a few palettes lighter which frankly I felt FFV needed.

Besides, if its going to be those fuggly sprites, and lame CGI spell effects that make all the tier magic look the same, from the PSP ports; then I'll take the washed color and uber midi OST from the GBA. :p

Mirage
07-23-2011, 05:48 AM
There is nothing in this world I want more than a high res faris sprite.

Wolf Kanno
07-23-2011, 06:04 AM
I would rather have her Amano design.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/9/94/FFV-amano_faris.jpg

Mirage
07-23-2011, 06:07 AM
If you can cram that level of detail into a 64x64 sprite, I'm all for it.

DMKA
07-29-2011, 12:53 AM
‪Final fantasy IV(GBA): Boss Battle #2 - Octomammoth‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Tj5DXd_bA)
Same graphics as on SNES, slightly worse audio quality because the GBA doesn't have as good a sound chip as the SNES had. This is a port.

Holy wow that looks wonderful.

Mirage
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah. It looks just as wonderful as it has looked since 1992. Thanks for clarifying that though.

Compared to VI Advance, its nowhere near as bad. Its negligible if you ask me, and I've never really saw the complaint with the graphics cause the games just became a few palettes lighter which frankly I felt FFV needed.
Just remembered something I had planned on saying earlier but forgot.
The frame rate also isn't as stable as it was on SNES, that's probably a bigger contributor to "inferior graphics" than the palette changes are.

Wolf Kanno
07-30-2011, 05:56 AM
I honestly never noticed and if I did see it, I probably didn't care. I'm really not bothered by such things. :p

Mirage
07-30-2011, 06:57 AM
What, are you trying to tell me you're not a graphics whore?

Wolf Kanno
07-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Hell yeah,Atari 2600 or GTFO. :colbert:

Mirage
07-30-2011, 09:04 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/pong.jpg

Or gtfo.

VeloZer0
07-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Atari is alright if you like flashy stuff. I personally thought the move from playing games with anything other than ones and zeroes has made developers lazy and really diluted the medium.

black orb
08-02-2011, 12:46 AM
>>> FF3+FF5 for the PSP NOW!..:luca: