PDA

View Full Version : Harry fucking Potter and the end of my childhood part 2

Freya
07-15-2011, 08:56 AM
IT was awesome. Pure Awesome. People in the theater were cheering and crying and it was awesome. I'm going to miss it so much. Discuss how you loved the movie and if you didn't gtfo of my thread.

I made butterbeer for the occasion. And by butter beer I mean Cream soda with Butterscotch schnapps. Yum!

Shlup
07-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I really enjoyed it. I didn't read the books though, except the epilogue. I heard Rowling liked the movie end battle better, yes?

cloud_doll
07-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Waahhhhh I don't wanna see it! It'll be too sad =( I'm just going to pretend like it never came out and I'm always expecting it to.

Chris
07-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I just came back from seeing it...

I shed a little tear when I arrived back home. Think about it. Think about those kids back in 2001 appearing in The Philosopher's Stone for the first time. To watch them now, really does me feel like I grew up alongside them all.

That being said, I did read the books. Well, I was almost completely satisfied, but there is a couple of things I would like to point out, though.

1 - First of all, I was hoping for some kind of elaboration on Dumbledore's life. I was really disappointed that they almost completely cut out that part of Harry Potter. Dumbledore was such a great character in the books, but he really did feel minimized in the films.

2 - Second of all is the last battle. Well, not sure of they could have made it differently, but we don't actually see a whole lot of battling in the movie. It felt rushed, and I was just a tiny bit disappointed with the final battle.

That being said, I was pretty satisfied, and I still cannot wrap my brain around the fact that it has been ten years. Time really does fly...

Shaibana
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
i think the Biggest mistake you can make here is reading the book before the movie.
i did that with The Halfblood Prince, and by reading the book u get too much expectations wich results in a big dissapointment @ the film.

i thought the movie was absolutely perfect! i loved it!!
the part that really hitted me was where harry looked in Snape's passed and found out that Snape actually loved lilly once
But really .. ... a-ma-zing movie :D

i too grew up with harry potter (i was 9 i think) and im sad that its all over now :(

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Stone soldiers! :squee:

Rebellious Eagle
07-15-2011, 08:08 PM
10 years of my childhood, over. God. Time flies.

Rye
07-15-2011, 08:24 PM
The film was really good fan service. It also portrayed the action very well. It was good, as a movie, but it wasn't that enjoyable because my favorite parts of the book were the things they never even mentioned (Grindlewald, Dumbledore's past, the pensive scenes, etc).

Though I admit they did the Snape revelation scene REALLY well. I was kind of bawling.

BTW - how did the butterbeer come out?! We wanted to make our own take on butter beer, doing our own concoction by mixing butterscotch schnapps, milkshake, cream soda, and a bit of rum. We may save it for another date, we had no time ;_;

Freya
07-15-2011, 09:12 PM
It was really good! Very sweet. I've seen a lot of people adding ice cream to the mix but we just had the cream soda and schnapps and it worked perfectly fine.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Though I admit they did the Snape revelation scene REALLY well. I was kind of bawling.

That has to be my favorite part of the movie. That and when Snape is giving the memories to Harry in the first place. So sad ;_;.

Carl the Llama
07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Just got back from the film, thought it was completely 110% Awesomesauce!

I have ready the books and I still think the movie completely lived up to my expectations, the only minor thing I would have changed was to make the fight between Molly and Bella a little longer.

McLovin'
07-16-2011, 01:27 AM
They didn't show the pensive scenes? That's unfortunate. I liked those scenes. I'll be seeing it this weekend or next. I heard there's a trailer for The Dark Knight Rises as one of the preview trailers. Can anyone confirm that?

NorthernChaosGod
07-16-2011, 01:31 AM
They didn't show the pensive scenes? That's unfortunate. I liked those scenes. I'll be seeing it this weekend or next. I heard there's a trailer for The Dark Knight Rises as one of the preview trailers. Can anyone confirm that?

There is, but the trailer sucks. Most of the scenes were from Begins. o_O

Miriel
07-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Really enjoyed it. I felt like the movies consistently got better and better, as did the acting for Harry/Ron/Hermione. This really was as a nearly perfect ending.

I loved:
Everything with Snape. Perfect perfect perfect. Sobbing throughout it all. And "You have your mother's eyes" just killed me.

All the parts leading up to the battle at Hogwarts. McGonagall is a badass.

Harry & The Forest Again. Again, PERFECT.

A few nitpicks:
I didn't think the battle scenes were as good as they could have been. I would have liked less random students fleeing in terror, giants stomping around, and bricks flying everywhere, and more shots of characters we know battling it out. Everything felt frenzied and hectic, but by the end of it, you don't really see much of the characters duking it out with the deatheaters. Especially would have liked to see more of the twins. All we get is a measly single line for them each and then... well, you know.

I didn't like how they changed the final showdown. I think it was important for people to witness the end. Not a huge deal, but it bothered me. I did like how they uh, disposed of Voldemort's body. that was really neat. But the staging of it was really strange. Time and time again, Harry is made to stand before Voldemort and his deatheaters. He's always either walking into, or being dragged into Voldemort's territory, surrounded by Voldemort's crew. And for the rest of the world, Voldemort was this nameless fear and then he was supposedly dead, and then alive, maybe not really alive? So much misinformation about Voldy. But in the final battle as it happens in the book, Voldemort finally has to stand before Harry and all of Harry's friends, fellow students, teachers, in the great hall of Hogwarts and battle for his life. And finally everyone gets to witness his downfall at Harry's hands. No more doubts, no more rumors and speculation. I don't know why they would take all that away? I'm guess they wanted it to be JUST Voldy and Harry at the end? But it sorta made it a bit anti-climatic.

Harry/Ginny relationship was such poop. Really, he had more chemistry in a single glance at Cho than he did while making out with Ginny. Such a waste. I don't know if it's because the actress who plays Ginny doesn't have any sort of spark in her at all, or if it's because the writers never properly developed their relationship, but all the bits that involved Ginny seemed forced and tacked on.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and I cried a ton. Nearly everyone in my theater seemed to be sobbing their hearts out.

DMKA
07-16-2011, 03:29 AM
I loved it. I laughed and I cried and I cheered and I cried some more.

It was a great ride. I am so sad thinking about the fact that that's it, no more looking forward to the next Harry Potter flick and racing to the midnight showing.

Even though I was already well into my teens when the first film came out, they still hold, and will always hold, a very special place in my heart.

I don't think I'll ever forget tonight because of it.

Peegee
07-16-2011, 05:45 AM
@Miriel - re harrinny:

I have to re-watch their previous scenes together, but there was a short kiss sometime during the battle of hogwarts (?) where they kissed briefly and Harry ran away - that didn't look right - a little fumbled, but the mood didn't call for a fumbled kiss. I wonder too if they just lacked chemistry.

Just came back from watching and thought the movie had much better pacing than the first half - mostly by cutting out a lot of scenes. Yet it didn't feel rushed. I never once got bored and the flow of the movie was just superb. Plus I never did understand the importance of snape getting killed. By the middle of the movie I was so confused because I knew that killing him to get control of the elder wand was futile, but didn't know why until I thought back to the first movie.

Harry just snapping in half an artifact weapon was hilarious to me

TrollHunter
07-16-2011, 08:01 AM
I have to get caught up before I go see it. I know I've seen them all but I can't for the life of me remember the story D:

From everyone I've heard (including this thread) It's apparently fantastic, of that I'm not surprised. I must see it~!

Pheesh
07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm glad they were able to make the last two movies not suck (and to a lesser extent I suppose the Goblet of Fire didn't suck). I think they did a really good job capturing the tone of the last book and the whole thing never stopped feeling like an epic final chapter. Overall a great way to finish off a series.

The scene when Voldemort killed Snape was incredibly intense, and I'm just really glad they didn't shy away from making the movie a very dark experience. It wasn't perfect, but the chances of them making the movie live up to how I have had it pictured in my head the last 4 years were so minimal, so I'm not too fussed. Overall it was a really good experience, but Harry Potter ended 4 years ago, not this week.

Shaibana
07-16-2011, 11:23 AM
ow ya, 1 thing i forgot to say:
the one - point that bothered me is that i didnt (re)watch part 1 before seeing part 2.
i kinda fellt like being thrown in the dept. becaus the movie simply continieus on where it ended...

And since its been quite a while since i saw part 1 i got a little confused xD

Rantz
07-17-2011, 08:06 PM
I agree with everything Miriel and Happy Noodle Boy said.

I found myself not missing Dumbledore's backstory so much in the movie. It's great in the books, but I feel like it's no calamity that it was left out. However, I really didn't like that they left out Fred's death scene. In the book it was already a lot to take in at the same time that both Remus and Tonks had died. Now it feels like they lumped Fred in with them and it kind of diminishes the impact of each individual death.

McGonagall was just terrific. Alan Rickman did an amazing job and his story is very compelling, but I was honestly more affected by McGonagall's ardour and resolve. It's even better than it is in the book.

Depression Moon
07-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure about seeing this. Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix pissed me the hell off.

Peegee
07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
i have a question

from what i gathered, the reason voldermort couldn't kill harry (like, ever) is because a part of his soul is in him (harry). ignoring why voldermort can't commit suicide (unless you can explain that), he then gets in his head that the two wands are made from the same core. so he takes lucius' wand and that fails (beginning of HP7). he then tortures people to find out why, and where to get the elder wand (dumbledore).

the problem is, even though snape killed dumbledore, malfoy disarms dumbledore (iirc), after which harry disarms malfoy, thus making the elder wand his (harry's).

my question is: has anybody ever disarmed another person in the series? wouldn't that make those people's wands ineffective against the disarmer? and is this the case universally?

Breine
07-18-2011, 05:27 PM
The film was really good fan service. It also portrayed the action very well. It was good, as a movie, but it wasn't that enjoyable because my favorite parts of the book were the things they never even mentioned (Grindlewald, Dumbledore's past, the pensive scenes, etc).

I agree.

I've always thought the books were much better than the movies, and I've never really thought the movies were that great (except for Deathly Hallows part 1, which I actually enjoyed a lot). I can see why people think they are great, but in my mind people who only see the films and don't read the books miss out on a whole lot.

But yeah, the movie was good, but not anything special. I'm sure if I hadn't read the book I'd think otherwise.

Shaibana
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
i have a question

from what i gathered, the reason voldermort couldn't kill harry (like, ever) is because a part of his soul is in him (harry). ignoring why voldermort can't commit suicide (unless you can explain that), he then gets in his head that the two wands are made from the same core. so he takes lucius' wand and that fails (beginning of HP7). he then tortures people to find out why, and where to get the elder wand (dumbledore).

the problem is, even though snape killed dumbledore, malfoy disarms dumbledore (iirc), after which harry disarms malfoy, thus making the elder wand his (harry's).

my question is: has anybody ever disarmed another person in the series? wouldn't that make those people's wands ineffective against the disarmer? and is this the case universally?

Looking at all the HP's id say it only counts for the Elder Wand

Araciel
07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm still waiting til I don't have to wait in a line of at least twenty people to get in and see it, but I'm sure it will be good. Also, who here as opted to see it 2D and who 3D?! Should I do a poll!? hrmmmgarble

Shaibana
07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
3d always ads a little extra :)

if u can than go on a regular work-day :o
there were like 40 ppl at highest in the cinema (here) than...
but i guess by now all the schools at wherever you are have vacation?

Rantz
07-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I watched it in 3D. Neat but didn't add very much really.

Araciel
07-18-2011, 06:40 PM

I have wednesday/thursday off so probably take in a day show then.. live in a small city so the one theater is the only one worth goin to.

Miriel
07-18-2011, 07:01 PM
i have a question

Voldy couldn't kill Harry in the beginning because of the protection that his mother's sacrifice gave to Harry. Once Voldy took some of Harry's blood to help in his resurrection, that protection no longer existed. So that was the first obstacle. Then, when Voldy tried to kill Harry in Goblet of Fire, he did it without knowing that their wands shared a core. That was the 2nd obstacle. And the third obstacle, Voldemort never knew about, even at the very end. If Voldemort had successfully tried to kill Harry after killing the horcrux in Harry he would have been successful since all obstacles would have been eliminated at that point.

For your question, Rowling said that the ownership and allegiance of wands shift when there's an act of conquering involved. It has less to do with disarming and more to do with defeating. Snape never defeated Dumbledore because they were on the same side, following the same plan. It was Malfoy who betrayed and then disarmed Dumbledore, leading to his death. Harry didn't even use magic to get Malfoy's wand, but just physically wrestled and took it from him. That must have been something of a defeat for Malfoy because his wand shifted loyalties to Harry. So disarming someone while practicing dueling at Hogwarts wouldn't really turn a wand's allegiance. And wands are tricky anyway with the whole "the wand chooses the wizard" thing. Bellatrix had her wand taken from her but the wand's loyalty didn't shift.

Depression Moon
07-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Miriel's got it on point. I was going to answer it, but it's been such a long time since I've read any of the books, but all that brought most of everything I knew back and I'm sure that she's right.

NorthernChaosGod
07-18-2011, 07:40 PM

I went to the midnight release, there were so many fucking people.

Del Murder
07-19-2011, 03:46 AM
It was pretty good. Alan Rickman stole every scene, like he always did in these films. Such a perfect casting. McGonagall was pretty badass too.

I am disappointed with the final battle in that they didn't show enough of it. Didn't show certain characters die, etc. Those were some powerful moments in the books and I figured Hollywood loves action so we'd see a bloodbath. There was some giants smashing statues but I didn't care much about that. Show the people!

Also (and I didn't notice it until it was mentioned here), it was really weird that Harry and Voldemort's showdown didn't occur in front of the school, but in private. That really takes away from that scene. Voldemort was this terror in the wizarding world so it was important that the people witness his downfall. Oh well.

Rostum
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I've never read a Harry Potter book, and I was fairly so-so with the movies. But I did manage to enjoy this one. The acting had stepped up quite a bit too, which was nice.

Freya
07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know what i'm going to do without harry potter. That was the one thing I always look forward too. And now it's gone, so wtf do I do /distraught.

Shaibana
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM

I went to the midnight release, there were so many smurfing people.

hahaha that THE reason not to go to the premier :P

Peegee
07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
yay n___n

my brothers are hopeless HP geeks but I wasn't going to wait for them to read it again to answer me

And half of the stuff miriel said went over my head despite having read HP 5-7. MOVIES YOU DECEIVED ME

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2011, 08:25 PM

I went to the midnight release, there were so many smurfing people.

hahaha that THE reason not to go to the premier :P

Screw that, I went with good friends and the girl I'm interested in. We played games in line and had a jolly time.

And I saw the previous 4 at midnight too.

Peegee
07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
wait, so lucius' wand didn't work because of the horcrux in harry? how does that work?

Rostum
07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
how does that work?

Magic. :D

Bastian
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I did the midnight premier thing (which I've done for all of the HP movies since PoA and all of the HP books since OotP). I almost thought I'd have to go alone because the friend who I've been seeing them all with lives out of town in San Fran and she couldn't get to Portland. :( But then I was able to convince another good friend who lives out of town but closer to come. She brought her sister and brother. We had SUCH a good time.

Really, the midnight premiers are the only way to see those movies for the first time, because everyone is SO excited and there's so much cheering and clapping. You feel like you know these other people are at least as into it as you are, and that's a great feeling.

As for the movie, I was a bit disappointed that they cut out most all of the Dumbledor backstory stuff. But... I guess I can see why that wasn't really neccessary to the movie. I suppose it's not all that important how he got the wand. But besides that, I think they did an amazing job with the movie. As others have mentioned, the Snape stuff was spot on. I think I might have cried.

So good.

And I'm so sad it's all over.

Who's up for Albus Severus Potter and the Return of the Dark Lord? :P Kidding of course. Sort of. >.>

Really Harry/Ginny relationship was such poop. Really, he had more chemistry in a single glance at Cho than he did while making out with Ginny. Such a waste. I don't know if it's because the actress who plays Ginny doesn't have any sort of spark in her at all, or if it's because the writers never properly developed their relationship, but all the bits that involved Ginny seemed forced and tacked on.
To be perfectly honest, as much as I adore J.K. Rowling... I felt the same about it in the books. I felt like it came out of left field ad felt almost incestuous since Harry is almost like an adopted Weasley (he spends so many summers with them and such). I never liked the idea of their pairing.

Araciel
07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
I like how the Irish guy gets charged to blow shit up... lolracism.

NorthernChaosGod
07-22-2011, 08:40 PM
I like how the Irish guy gets charged to blow shit up... lolracism.

Is that a stereotype somehow? He just always made things blow up with simple spells. :p

Freya
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah like the entire first movie he's blowing everything up. How can you blow up a feather with windgardium leviosa?

Araciel
07-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Well yeah it's a stereotype... IRA!? Hell there's a drink called an Irish Car Bomb.

DMKA
07-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Bah, I feel sorry for you people who read the books...you've set a standard in your heads that will never be met.

God this movie was awesome.

Jessweeee♪
07-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Just saw it. It was pretty awesome! The only thing I would change is have Neville be on fire while he was killing Nagini, like in the book. It's just much more impressive that way! But his scenes were pretty great, so it's a nice compromise.

i think the Biggest mistake you can make here is reading the book before the movie.
i did that with The Halfblood Prince, and by reading the book u get too much expectations wich results in a big dissapointment @ the film.
Yeah, I learned that lesson with the Goblet of Fire myself. It really sucks doing it that way. Read it after!

Especially would have liked to see more of the twins. All we get is a measly single line for them each and then... well, you know.

This is the only real issue I had with all of the movies together. They were my favorite minor characters and a lot of their best scenes got cut out :(

blackmage_nuke
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
The dialogue pauses were too long at times but other than that I enjoyed the battle save for some scenes where I think more magic could have been added. For example when Neville falls down that bridge instead of all the other students just standing there it wouldve been a great time to throw a levicorpus for an unexpected visual gag. And when Abeforth drives away the dementors i think it wouldve been better had all the students casted simultaneous patronuses to run them all down.

Also wtf happened to wormtail, iirc his death was cut from part 1 and i dont recall seeing him in part 2. I was hoping they did it so he and Remus could duel but apparently not.

As for why Lucius' wand didnt work:

“Without meaning to, as you now know, Lord Voldemort doubled the bond between you when he returned to a human form. A part of his soul was still attached to yours, and, thinking to strengthen himself, he took a part of your mother’s sacrafice into himself. If he could only have understood the precise and terrible power of that sacrifice, he would not, perhaps, have dared to touch your blood. . . . But then, if he had been able to understand, he could not be Lord Voldemort, and might never have murdered at all.
“Having ensured this two-fold connection, having wrapped your destinies together more securely than ever two wizards were joined in history, Voldemort proceeded to attack you with a wand that shared a core with yours. And now something very strange happened, as we know. The cores reacted in a way that Lord Voldemort, who never knew that your wand was a twin of his, had ever expected.
“He was more afraid than you were that night, Harry. You had accepted, even embraced, the possibility of death, something Lord Voldemort has never been able to do. Your courage won, your wand overpowered his. And in doing so, something happened between those wands, something that echoed the relationship between their masters.
“I believe that your wand imbibed some of the power and qualities of Voldemort’s wand that night, which is to say that it contained a little of Voldemort himself. So your wand recognized him when he pursued you, recognized a man who was both kin and mortal enemy, and it regurgitated some of his own magic against him, magic much more powerful than anything Lucius’s wand had ever performed. Your wand now contained the power of your enormous courage and of Voldemort’s own deadly skill: What chance did that poor stick of Lucius Malfoy’s stand?”

I hated the Ron+Hermione couple in the book but I didnt mind it as much in the movie. Though I still wouldve prefered Hermione+Krum

Shaibana
07-26-2011, 06:58 PM
now with ending of the films i really feel like reading all books :3 so in time im gonna biy them all :D
im already 4/5 through HP1, and as i noticed 1 book isnt enough for this vacation i went to the store to buy another one in english... they had ALL part... except the one i wanted -.-.. ... .. so now im forced to skip 1 book (for now) D:

after the vacation im going another time to HP :D