PDA

View Full Version : Steamed Hams

Heath
07-18-2011, 08:04 PM
"Really? Well, I'm from Utica, and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'steamed hams.'"
"Oh, not in Utica. No, it's an Albany expression." (http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/54624/detail/)

What regional expressions do you use that people either pick you up on or apparently have no idea what they are?

I found this happened a lot at university. Me remarking on what people had on rather than in their sandwiches is one example, though this is genuinely what my family say. On a similar theme, my family also called 'baps' as 'barm cakes.' Calling a 'clothes horse' a 'maiden' is another example. Whether this is because my family are just very northern or because we're mad I've no idea.

Was this thread partly a covert attempt just to link to an excellent Simpsons clip? Why, we'll never know.

NorthernChaosGod
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
"Hella"
I think we say "dude" more than other people too.

AngelWings8
07-18-2011, 08:14 PM
I still can't get used to how people around here say "pop"...I grew up in St. Louis and we always referred to it as "soda".

Pheesh
07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
"Funny, I'd never heard the word 'embiggens' before I moved to Springfield."

"Why? It's a perfectly cromulent word."

Heath
07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I still can't get used to how people around here say "pop"...I grew up in St. Louis and we always referred to it as "soda".

You're resurrecting battles of old with that one :p (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-archive/6687-pop-vs-soda.html)

AngelWings8
07-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh gawd...seems like that's gonna be a losing battle for me here. Ignore what I said :-) And it's clear that St. Louis is in it's own little bubble in the midwest when it comes to saying "soda".

Araciel
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I come here from Canada and they think I'm slow, ehhh?

Eh does actually come up in conversations here which is.. disconcerting. Also we call it pop.

Peegee
07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
i try my darndest not to say 'eh' but I do it on purposes sometimes.

Shlup
07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
"Hella"

These are true.

I also don't think many other states call coriander cilantro. We so Mexifabulous over here.

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2011, 12:44 AM
That's what coriander is? :Oo: I learned something new today.

AngelWings8
07-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Well, according to wiki: In American culinary usage, the fruits ("seeds") are generally referred to as coriander, the leaves as cilantro.

That would explain why I have coriander seeds in my spice rack, but when I buy fresh leaves they're sold as cilantro (I think in Chicago at least, we call it cilantro too).

Miriel
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
"Hella"

These are true.

I also don't think many other states call coriander cilantro. We so Mexifabulous over here.
Coriander and cilantro are two different things! Cilantro makes me barf, coriander is fine. I used coriander in my chili yesterday.

But yeah, coriander = seed, cilantro = leafy green plant.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-19-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm from the south, so mostly we either call everything it's name or call it a soft drink.

It's usually not an issue though, because 97% of the time if anyone asks the person if they want a coke or a soft drink the response is, "I'll have sweat tea." It's the south. ;)

In certain areas of the "deeper" south everything thing is called a coke, so if you order one in a restaurant the server will ask, "What kind of coke?" You then specify mountain dew, dr. pepper, coke, pepsi, etc. This IS a real thing, as weird as it sounds. I've observed it many times, and it always makes me giggle.

Shlup
07-19-2011, 03:53 AM
I feel like I've been lied to.

Pike
07-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Everyone here says "Broke as a joke." Several times a day. Seriously, I'd never heard the expression before moving to Podunk Island, WA.

People also pronounce things funny in Washington. Like "wagon" is "weygon".

I dunno, I guess I have a Montana accent? If there is such a thing.

Madame Adequate
07-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Skinner with his crazy explanations
The Superintendant's going to need his medication
When he hears Skinner's lame exaggerations
There'll be trouble in town tonight

Oh man I truly do love this show from before it became crap

Innit, sick, safe, cuff me, tax.

Oh Midlands, how truly horrendous your patois is.

DK
07-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Innit, sick, safe, cuff me, tax.

Oh Midlands, how truly horrendous your patois is.

da smurf you chattin' bout bredrin we is well sound, you keep chattin' dat shiet i'mma wet you up, you gets me?? you making me vexed yo, gonna straight teef ya wallet and dem tings blud, bo.

yeah no, seriously the worst of all time :(

as for me, it's usually when I use ghetto cornish ways of saying things that confuse people I know. "Where you to?" or "Where's that to?" is one that usually blags people. "What's on?" seems to confuse people as well, but probably more the pronunciation than anything. "Wosson?"

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Everyone here says "Broke as a joke." Several times a day. Seriously, I'd never heard the expression before moving to Podunk Island, WA.

I've heard that a bit around here.

So how common is "minute" used to indicate a long length of time with you guys?

demondude
07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Pretty common. How many non-Brits would be offended if I were to go buy a pack of fags and then smoke them?

G13
07-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Yes, we are all fucking retarded. I've lived in WA all my life and water has always been water, not warter. wtf people?

Warsh, maysure (measure) also come to mind. It's annoying to listen to people talk around here.

Pike
07-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Yes, we are all smurfing retarded. I've lived in WA all my life and water has always been water, not warter. wtf people?

Warsh, maysure (measure) also come to mind. It's annoying to listen to people talk around here.

I was actually born in WA and so was most of my family, before we moved away a while back.

So all of my family talks funny, too. xD I retrained myself in a lot of pronunciations because people in Montana noticed my Washingtonian accent. Now it looks like I have to train myself back again! (Hint: I won't. I'm stubborn.)

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Pretty common. How many non-Brits would be offended if I were to go buy a pack of fags and then smoke them?

I wouldn't mind either way. Heyo!

Shiny
07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Used commonly around these parts: "half a fag" "yoots" "swallowing peoples" "cracking" "cush" commonly confuse people who are not familiar with it.

Oh also, I noticed people who live in very different areas tend to call it the glowy bugs fireflies. Myself and alot of people I know who live in the eastern states (and are black) call them lightning bugs. WTF IS a FIREFLY...

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
What backwater part of Washington are you two from? It has always been wash and measure, and pronounced 'wahgon' not 'weygon'. Weirdos.

Though I do randomly throw 'eh' and 'y'all' into my conversations sometimes. I'm pretty sure I picked those up from my parents though.

Bah. I miss Washington.

Pike
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
What backwater part of Washington are you two from? It has always been wash and measure, and pronounced 'wahgon' not 'weygon'. Weirdos.

Though I do randomly throw 'eh' and 'y'all' into my conversations sometimes. I'm pretty sure I picked those up from my parents though.

Bah. I miss Washington.

I haven't heard the "warsh" and "maysure" bit myself but I've yet to meet someone here who doesn't say "bayg" or "waygon" :| I'm a bit north of Seattle~

I'm trying to think of Montanaisms but I can't think of any. Probably because I grew up there so I can't tell. Also I lived in a particularly educated part of the state (university town) and there were people from all over, so I think we just had the "standard" accent.

Yar
07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
The word "pry".

Also, people who aren't from around here look at me funny when I say I want a "grinder".

Or asking if they'd like to play a game of "cornhole".

Old Manus
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Sappenin' en son, ite or wa?
I'll be there in a bit now
That girl is buzzin'/hangin'
Dew, dew
Isi?
I will slam ew now butt
Ych a fi

I'd just direct you to watch Taff Wars, but it got removed from YouTube.

EDIT: Forgot 'Now in a minute in a valley over by there like'

Peegee
07-20-2011, 08:11 PM
The word "pry".

Also, people who aren't from around here look at me funny when I say I want a "grinder".

that last one isn't a regional dialect....

just saying.

Yar
07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
The word "pry".

that last one isn't a regional dialect....

just saying.
Yes, but if you aren't from around here you might not know wtf it is.

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
WTF IS a FIREFLY...

OH, HAI THER (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ELqpXKSDjjg/TdGIiZOh67I/AAAAAAAAAE0/vjseGj_E-k0/s1600/01.jpg)

sharkythesharkdogg
07-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Here in the south, you get a lot of pet names. Every waitress calls you "honey" or "sweety". I'm sure everyone is familiar with that concept. I've taken it upon myself to refer to all my friends as "pumpkin" or "puddin' ".

I also say "What's up, buttercup?" to all my female friends, but that appears to be me and not a regional thing.

I also still use "later 'gator", but that's because I'm a goober.

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm going to start calling my female friends buttercup.