PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but Cracked.com can be annoying at times!

MJN SEIFER
07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Idunno if anyone here still reads Cracked.com, or is even aware of its existence, but it basically a humor site, although to be honest I rarely find it funny, but that's just me - I just think it tries too hard at times. I do however enjoy reading it because it covers subjects like movies, video games, TV, and Music. And it reveals things about them I didn't know at times, so it is a good site to read to learn certain things, and to clear up rumors you may have heard when you were young at times. For example, for music it sometimes talks about songs with supposed hidden messages (and if they exist or not), for TV Shows and Movies it has things like stupid death scenes, or endings that don't make sense or whatever.

However, it doesn't always bode well for me when I read it. There are times, where you can tell Cracked.com hasn't done it's research at all, and is just basically repeating what other people have said, without bothering to check whether it's true, and at times it loses track of what it was actually talking about, or says the wrong thing - a good example of this is during one list of "Are These Urban Legends True or Not?" style list, and it talked about that whole Dark Side of Oz thing (Dark Side of the Moon being in perfect synch with The Wizard of Oz) and they talked and quoted Pink Floyd members as saying they had no idea about that until they were told (meaning it was not a deliberate act), which is fair enough, but they used that to prove that DSOTM does not synch with TWOO (I still need to try it myself), when that isn't the case - Pink Floyd's comments only prove they didn't plan on it synching, which is the Urban Legend - there's a chance that it could synch up by accident (seeing as I often play music on YouTube with the TV still on, I often notice random things synching up by coincidence).

Also, Cracked.com seems to be the number one place to go when I want to see my childhood get completely raped (I very rarely use the word "raped" in that context, but it's the only word that worked - hope I didn't cause offence.) Of course, I don't want to see my childhood get raped. I have very fond memories of my favorite movies and television shows when I was a kid (so fond, I still watch what I have of them), and Cracked.com seems absolutely determined to hate them, like whoever writes the articles is trying to flaunt his macho ego, by bragging about how much he hates children’s shows now, or something.

Also... why do people have to type "CRACKED!" on every YouTube video Cracked.com links to?!

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the band not deliberately making the album sync up means it won't.

blackmage_nuke
07-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I hate when they talk about something that happened in a movie or an inconsistency in a movie with that pretentious air when either it didnt happen, or the inconsistency was actually explained clearly in the movie. So now I tend to take most things on cracked with a grain of salt. Though they can always say "we were just kidding. dont you understand irony?"

I dont feel it's as funny as it use to be.

NorthernChaosGod
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
I love Cracked. Their lists are awesome and occasionally informative.

Agent Proto
07-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Cracked.com can be a little annoying with how they sound like angry annoyed jerks at life in most of their articles, but I still enjoy reading them because they are quite informative and fun to read, unlike most other sites regarding similar topics.

As for your last question about why people type "CRACKED!" in the replies to YouTube videos linked by the site, it's like tagging. I think. This is the same for most other popular sites that link to YouTube videos. You'll notice replies like "Like this if _____.com took you here!" and whatnot.

MJN SEIFER
07-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the band not deliberately making the album sync up means it won't.
I still need to purchase both items, but as I said in my rant; sometimes things can sync up perfectly, by pure coincidence. Like I said, I often play songs on YouTube when I've still got the TV on in the background, and I occasionally look over to see that things are in complete sync.

I hate when they talk about something that happened in a movie or an inconsistency in a movie with that pretentious air when either it didnt happen, or the inconsistency was actually explained clearly in the movie. So now I tend to take most things on cracked with a grain of salt. Though they can always say "we were just kidding. dont you understand irony?"

I dont feel it's as funny as it use to be.
Yeah, I do that to. And yeah, there's been a few places were that's happened or they've just made assumptions and got it wrong.

I love Cracked. Their lists are awesome and occasionally informative.

but I still enjoy reading them because they are quite informative and fun to read, unlike most other sites regarding similar topics.[QUOTE]
That's pretty much the reason why I still like Cracked - I never found it too funny, but it's nice to read the articles at times, and yes, they can be pretty informative sometimes. I actually learned some interesting things about certain subjects - did you know that Alice in Wonderland is actually about MATH, not drugs? Made me look at it from a whole new angle...

[QUOTE=Agent Proto;3006150]Cracked.com can be a little annoying with how they sound like angry annoyed jerks at life in most of their articles

As for your last question about why people type "CRACKED!" in the replies to YouTube videos linked by the site, it's like tagging. I think. This is the same for most other popular sites that link to YouTube videos. You'll notice replies like "Like this if _____.com took you here!" and whatnot.
Yes, that one of the things that gets to me - another thing I don't like is how whenever they do a list of something like "Most Offensive Kids Shows Ever" or "Most Racist Kids Shows Ever" they tend to go a bit overboard, and miss the point with some of it, like it was never meant to be what they say it was, and there's always at least on entry which doesn't fit the catagory at all. (e.g. there was one recently-ish about badly done drug addiction metaphors in kids shows, and one of the things mention was completly wrong for the list - and looked like an excuse to mention a show they hated.)

I guess the "CRACKED!" thing is tagging, and I have noticed fans of other sites do the same thing - the Cracked fans seem to be the most consistant though...

Pike
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Regardless of how accurate and/or inaccurate Cracked may be they still make me laugh like little else does. Yeah I'm kind of immature when it comes to my sense of humor. >_>

Jessweeee♪
07-21-2011, 02:45 AM
I love Cracked! The only writer on Cracked that I find consistently lame is Christina H., but even she has a good one every now and then.