PDA

View Full Version : Games you always wanted to play

Edge7
07-20-2011, 09:00 AM
So let's put things into perspective. You're at the local video store looking for a video game to rent for the weekend. You see some really cool looking games (at least, to you they looked cool), but you can't play them; either because they're on a different console, or they're rated M and there's no way your parents would let you take the game home. You sigh, and return to the section pertaining to your console of choice.

Has this ever happened to you? What games did you want to play but couldn't due to certain circumstances?

Personally, I remember one of my greatest dissapointments was not being able to rent Dark Cloud or Okage: Shadow King because I didn't own a PS2 at the time. Something about the boxart for each game promised a unique experience that I could never fufill.

EDIT: I also remember wanting to play Maximo, and fondly remember watching my cousins play Tomba. Before it was ported, I also remember wanting Sonic Adventure 2. (Ok, I think that's everything).

TrollHunter
07-20-2011, 09:03 AM
I lack a ps3 but I've always wanted to play disgaea 3 and the ps3 ratchet & clank series. I've also always wanted to play shadow of the colossus but I can never seem to get my hands on a copy. So many games I want to play but cant... (not to mention that I am unable to recall most of them at the moment.)

Edge7
07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I lack a ps3 but I've always wanted to play disgaea 3 and the ps3 ratchet & clank series. I've also always wanted to play shadow of the colossus but I can never seem to get my hands on a copy.
That's scary, I started replaying Shadow of the Colosuss right before you posted. Also, if it's any consolation, I've played a little of the PS3 R&Cs at a friends house, and from what I played, I still think the first one's my favorite.

TrollHunter
07-20-2011, 09:27 AM
I love all the ps2 ones but the 2nd one has got to be my favorite. The most balanced in challenge, combat, and story. The first was fantastic though no denying that.

Rostum
07-20-2011, 09:35 AM
When I was younger they had a few games at the local rental store that I literally spent a year (relatively) or so trying to get, only to be disappointed that someone else had rented it out already. So I'd always settle for something else.

These games, from what I can remember, are:

'A Boy and his Blob' on the NES
'Super Mario Bros. 3' on NES
'Legend of Zelda 2' on NES
'Half-Life' on PC
'Zork: Grand Inquisitor' on PC
'Riven' on PC

I'm sure there's more over the long years, but those are the ones that really stood out to me. I remember standing there looking at the back of the boxes in sadness knowing they were rented out already.

When I eventually got a hold of them, I loved each and every one immensely, well except for one of them. Fun fact is by the time I got to rent Legend of Zelda 2 they put the wrong game in the box (I forget what it is now). Turns out I liked it much more, despite loving the first Zelda game.

Jessweeee♪
07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I've got a ton of 2010-2011 games that I haven't been able to play because I had no monies. Now I have a little bit of money, but no Xbox :|

Bolivar
07-20-2011, 03:49 PM
The Nintendo 64 games were really like that for me, I was dying to get one but my parents made me wait until Christmas. By the time Christmas came around I wanted a PlayStation instead (been a PS gamer ever since), but I ended up getting a 64 once it got really cheap for used.

I really wanted to play Final Fantasy Tactics when it came out but I had a ton of games to play in the meantime. Once I was ready to get it, it was almost impossible to find, especially at a decent price. A short time later they started a greatest hits run of it and I immediately got one of the first copies. That first batch of copies, however, were defective (I think they accidentally printed hte Japanese version, which were incompatible), so I had to return it to Babbages/EB/Gamestop. When I finally popped that baby in, though, man, that game was a huge personal experience.

Wolf Kanno
07-20-2011, 07:05 PM
I use to rent a Sega Genesis so I can play all the game on it that my friends played (most of them had the Genesis). I had to pull a similar stunt to finally play through more than the Deku tree in Zelda OoT, and I borrowed my friends copy of MGS4 and his PS3 to play that when it came out. With the exception of the Genesis and its games. I tend to be disappointed by the games I "missed out on". Which is why I've been reluctant to borrow a 360 to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Rostum
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
My friend said I could always borrow his Xbox and Lost Odyssey, and it's something I've always wanted to play. But I just never get around to asking him, and I probably wouldn't get around to playing it these days.

Depression Moon
07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Go check that thread that was created a while ago about what games you wanted to play. I think I had about 30 games on 1 post.

Pete for President
07-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I always wanted to play Black & White when it just came out, but I didn't have a decent PC back then.

Old Manus
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
'A Boy and his Blob' on the NES
Nostalgia just hit me like a train

Iceglow
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
I wanted to play Starcraft 1 pretty badly for years, whenever I was at my brothers I'd play the demo of it on his PC. however my mom wouldn't spend the money on getting me a PC. Thats a reason why I never played Strarcraft 1 all the way through until I was like 17 and had my own computer that I had brought with my own money. It made the experience sweeter imho.

I'd like to play the uncharted series and metal gear solid 4 for the ps3 but I'm reluctant to buy a ps3 when I know it will spend the majority of it's time sitting around doing nothing since I don't at this time have a HD tv and no inclination to move from DVD to Blu-ray, if I want a HD version I can easily just watch a digital version on my laptop.

Pheesh
07-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I want to play Limbo for the 360, it looks really awesome. Most of the other XBox games I've wanted to play got released for PC or were ported to PS3.

Slothy
07-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I want to play Limbo for the 360, it looks really awesome. Most of the other XBox games I've wanted to play got released for PC or were ported to PS3.

In case you didn't see it already, Limbo is on the PSN now.

Pheesh
07-21-2011, 12:59 PM
=O Many thanks, I missed it completely.

Slothy
07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I happened to see it last night and was pretty pleased. It's one of the few games on the 360 that I've really wanted to try, if only because I really like the look of the art style.

Rostum
07-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Ah sweet, I too would love to play Limbo but opted for a PS3. :)

TrollHunter
07-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Limbos well worth it. I love that game so much. Oh so much.

Masamunemaster
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM
Dark Cloud was the same way for me and I liked it alot, and I remember buying maximo and playing it....it was a good game but not to great

[QUOTE=Wolf Kanno;3006236]I use to rent a Sega Genesis so I can play all the game on it that my friends played (most of them had the Genesis). I had to pull a similar stunt to finally play through more than the Deku tree in Zelda OoT, and I borrowed my friends copy of MGS4 and his PS3 to play that when it came out. With the exception of the Genesis and its games. I tend to be disappointed by the games I "missed out on". Which is why I've been reluctant to borrow a 360 to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are very worth it even though I took a break from blue dragon then cant find it><

Haha_YouAint
08-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Portal and Portal 2.

Lost Odyssey and The Last Story.

Heath
08-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Last Odyssey, Ico and Final Fantasy Tactics are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Metroid Prime 2 is one of the biggest losses, I think. My television was an old portable one that couldn't handle some of the '60Hz only' games for the GC. As a result, I missed out on a fair few games. I've had a hankerin' to play MP again for a while actually.

Remon
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Tales of Vesperia :(

Evastio
08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Dissidia Duodecim and Final Fantasy IV The After Years are the only games I can think of that I really wanted to play but I haven't been able to play whatsoever (even on a friend's PSP or Wii).

Peegee
08-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I want marvel vs capcom 2 and I am willing to pay for it. Thankfully I never settled for the outlandish prices and saw it on the PSN

then I didn't buy it and then PSN got hacked

So...did I dodge a bullet or am I still depra...deprived?

Shattered Dreamer
08-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Fable 2 & Fable 3 definitely but I also thought Spiderman Shattered Dimensions looked pretty cool, might pick it up preowned on the cheap at some point. Sadly with a 360 (or a decent laptop or PC) I'll never get to play the rest of the Fable series :(

Mo-Nercy
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I have a PS3 but I have not played any Uncharted game. With the series soon to be coming out with a third installment, I really want to make up for lost time and buy the first two, but I'm pretty busy with Valkyria Chronicles at the moment (having also jumped on that bandwagon very late).

Loony BoB
08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Back when I was younger occasionally a game would come out on a console I didn't have, or a PC game would come out that my PC could not handle. And of course there have been times that a game has been released in North America and/or Japan but not in PAL regions. But these days it's a very rare thing indeed.

Pumpkin
08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
xenogears but I can't afford it :(
I also wanted to play Suikoden II and had to fork over 150$ to finally get it.

Edge7
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Tales of Vesperia :(
I was lucky enough to have RPG playing friends who own an Xbox; they brought it over and we beat the superboss version of Duke.

Shattered Dreamer
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a PS3 but I have not played any Uncharted game. With the series soon to be coming out with a third installment, I really want to make up for lost time and buy the first two, but I'm pretty busy with Valkyria Chronicles at the moment (having also jumped on that bandwagon very late).

I'm the same actually! I have a PS3 yet I've never played Uncharted! I keep meaning to pick up the 1st 2 games but the cheapest copy even pre owned I've seen is still €25 :/

BG-57
08-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre on the PSP. I already bought a DS to play FFIII and Suikoden Tierkris. I don't want to buy yet another platform to play just two games, however cool they may be. The PSX version of FFT is one of my favorite games period, but I'm annoyed that you have to get a friend with a PSP to get some bonus items in that version of the game. It should be possible to get everything in single player mode.